LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  [ 530 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Justin Turner

Offline  Re: Justin Turner
Posted: February 13, 2021, 4:52 PM Post
I thought this was the Justin Turner trade speculation/rumors/news thread.

Posted: February 13, 2021, 4:56 PM Post
adambr2 said:
I thought this was the Justin Turner trade speculation/rumors/news thread.

I think it's fair to discuss contingencies should the likely outcome see fruition. I suppose it might be a good idea to start a "3B Plans" topic in the Major League forum, since it appears that we'll have a grab bag of options should Turner decide to stay in LA.

Formerly Joey Meyer Bombs

Posted: February 13, 2021, 6:50 PM Post
Brew4U said:
beekay414 said:
Brew4U said:
Fun fact: Robin Yount never hit over 10 HR’s until he was 24 years old. Same with Christian Yelich. I would have loved to see your posts on their power.

Robin Yount and Christian Yelich have no relevance to Luis Urias. Urias, from the get go, has had below average power grades. Prospects comparisons aren't linear. His value comes from his hit tool and his fielding, not his power. This isn't something that I'm pulling out of thin air, this is something that's been with Urias from the day he signed.

This sound about right: “Power: Has excellent gap power now due to consistent hard contact and present strength. Line-drive approach right now and potential for above-average to plus home run power with added strength and loft. Additional focus on finding pitches he can drive has led to more in-game power now. Power will come as he fills out but he will never be an elite power hitter. Grade (raw power) – 40/60”

Link?

Posted: February 13, 2021, 6:53 PM Post
SRB said:
Luis Urias hit 19 HR in 73 games during his last season in AAA. He was on pace for a 40 HR season

lol, how are we having this discussion? [laughing]

(I'm not saying he's necessarily ever going to show that kind of power in the majors, but PCL or not, to suggest that he physically lacks any power seems like a stretch)

It's not a stretch whatsoever. His career ISO makes Arcia look like a power hitter. I'm not saying Urias is a bad prospect or anything of the sort, he's just not, nor will he ever be, a power hitter. There's nothing wrong with that and I've stated several times he just needs to cut down on the K's and get back to bring the OBP type he was prior to the PCL.

Posted: February 13, 2021, 7:08 PM Post
Global Moderator
beekay414 said:
Link?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/baseballpr ... ch-of/amp/

Posted: February 13, 2021, 7:13 PM Post
BillScottCanRake said:

Oh, what does that have to do with Urias? Yelich has no bearing on Luis. That was a 40 current grade with 60 FV value. These are all reports on Urias...

Power (40) – Urias is built narrow in the shoulders and hips, and his long frame could lead you to believe he’s taller than he truly is, but he does use his legs and especially his arms in leverage in his swing, but there’s just only so much he can access there. He should pound gaps, but I would imagine double-digit home runs would be stretch

Bobby DeMuro of Baseball Census put together an excellent scouting report on Urias this past December. He puts a 70-grade (future .300 hitter) on Urias’s hit tool, stating that Urias has a “truly freakish ability to put the barrel on the ball like few I’ve seen the last few years.” But he puts a 30-grade (3-5 HR) on his power tool. “Extremely little power at present; virtually no over-the-fence pop now and unlikely to develop into average power profile with age."

Bernie Pleskoff filed an extended scouting report on Urias in October. It’s a great overall look at Urias as a player, but for our purposes here, this is the important bit:

“I also don’t feel Urias will hit for much power. He is slight of build and it isn’t likely that he will be able to power the ball over the fence with any regularity. I do, however, think his barrel-of-the-bat approach should yield a few home runs every season. Since he is still young, he may add some depth to his frame, but I don’t believe that will convert to much more power."

4) Luis Urias, 2B-SS, Grade B+: Age 20, signed out of Mexico in 2013; hit .296/.398/.380 with 20 doubles, three homers, 68 walks, 65 strikeouts in 442 at-bats in Double-A; excellent strike zone judgment with contact ability and gap power, not likely to be a home run hitter but has respectable punch, enough to keep pitchers honest; not a butcher at shortstop but range and hands work better at second base; could be something like Freddy Sanchez with more walks and fewer injuries. ETA late 2018.

Very athletic middle infielder with plus on-base skills, potential plus hit tool and above-average defense at second base. Has an advanced approach at the plate and feel for the strike zone. Has shown a consistent ability to get on-base at each level thus far. Looks to shoot everything up the middle or to right field; would like to see him turn on balls in more; will add strength as body matures and should develop some gap pop, but still a below-average damage (extra-base hit) profile. The defensive skillset plays best at second base; has enough arm for shortstop and could probably handle the position for a stretch, but the average range plays better at second. Soft hands, quick transfers and good footwork around the second-base bag. Fringe-average runner, not going to be a basestealer; best underway and has enough to score from first base on a double; will take the extra base.

All reports on Urias. All say the same thing. Last thing I'll put out on the topic. Hope we sign Turner.

Posted: February 13, 2021, 7:32 PM Post
Global Moderator
Sorry to interrupt all of the important Urias (will he, won’t he) hit for power talk, but Ken Rosenthal indicated earlier this afternoon that the Brewers seem willing to go to three-years for Turner and the Dodgers most likely haven’t offered beyond two-years so far.

From his article today:

Turner, 36, is seeking at least a three-year contract. The Brewers, and perhaps another team or two, seem willing to give it to him. The Dodgers almost certainly prefer Turner for no more than two years, but have yet to fill his position at third base or replace his right-handed power, effectively leaving the light on for him to return.

Posted: February 13, 2021, 7:32 PM Post
Global Moderator
Oh, what does that have to do with Urias? Yelich has no bearing on Luis. That was a 40 current grade with 60 FV value. These are all reports on Urias...

I just provided the link via my mad Google skills. Sorry I don't know more.

Posted: February 13, 2021, 7:41 PM Post
BillScottCanRake said:

I just provided the link via my mad Google skills. Sorry I don't know more.

Oh I know, my friend. That was meant for the poster who posted the quote.

Posted: February 13, 2021, 7:41 PM Post
Turner just announced on Twitter that he has re-signed with the Dodgers.

Formerly Joey Meyer Bombs

Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  [ 530 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply