LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  [ 73 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Eddie Rosario

Offline  Re: Eddie Rosario

Posted: January 27, 2021, 7:18 AM Post
brewtank34 said:
With the rumors of us looking at multiple OF's, does anyone here feel that there may be some legitimacy to us potentially trading Cain and his contract along with Hader?

I suppose that can't be ruled out. I hope not, though. I think that the team is looking at OFers because they perhaps see that market slower to develop this offseason, and they stand the chance of landing a potential big bat for the lineup there. This is a team that loves positional versatility, so it wouldn't surprise me in the least to see guys like Yelich and Garcia get time at 1B this spring. If they sign Rosario, he'll probably see some time at 2B. For this team to be able to put the best lineup on the field day in and day out, these players are going to have to be flexible position-wise.

I am a big advocate for seeing what Vogelbach can do, but his lack of defensive versatility might doom him in the end should there not be a universal DH.

Posted: January 27, 2021, 7:38 AM Post
Global Moderator
In case anyone is interested in watching 9 minutes of Rosario’s 2019 season highlights...

Posted: January 27, 2021, 9:01 AM Post
brewtank34 said:
With the rumors of us looking at multiple OF's, does anyone here feel that there may be some legitimacy to us potentially trading Cain and his contract along with Hader?

I still say Cain to the outfield short Mariners for Kyle Seager might make sense for both teams and it's an exchange of big shorter term salaries. Mariners have a replacement for Seager in France, and Brewers could replace Cain if they sign an outfielder.

Posted: January 27, 2021, 9:07 AM Post
brewtank34 said:

Aren’t the Mets looking for an OF? They missed out on both Springer and Hand.

Posted: January 27, 2021, 9:58 AM Post
Thing that jumps right out is that Rosario is being projected at an .800-.810 OPS type hitter but only being worth 1.5 WAR. Normally there are some bad defensive numbers associated with that but not in Rosario's case. It looks like he is pretty good in left field and can hold his own in right, although he hasn't played that many innings in right.

I also thought it was interesting that his BABIP really dropped the last couple of years. From .316 in 2018 to .273 in 2019 to .248 in 2020. Sometimes that's bad luck. Other times it due to a drop in speed. Went to Baseball Savant and Rosario's sprint speed has dropped from 28.0 (ft/s) in 2018 to 27.1 in 2019 to 26.8 in 2020.

To me it looks like the big concern is that with a drop in athletic skills that he might be limited to LF and if the bat falls off at all...nobody is going to be all that interested in a left fielder that OPS's .760, especially with Christian Yelich on the same roster. Considering Braun saw 127 innings in right field last year and Yelich saw 0, pretty strong indication that the Brewers see Yelich as a left fielder exclusively at this point. Rosario has played some right field for the Twins, but not very many innings the last few years (217 innings over the last 4 years).

There is always the possibility of just throwing him at 1B but I'm a bit skeptical on that since it's been so long since the guy played in the infield. Probably doesn't help that for three years there was all this talk about Braun at 1B, Braun at 1B, Braun at 1B...and in the end the Brewers only played him there for 109 innings in 2018 and he was so bad in that limited run (-19.0 UZR/150) that he wasn't credited with another inning at 1B after that.

Rosario could be an excellent fourth outfielder so I'm on board if the price is right, and this is the time of the year for bargain shopping. But there is enough negative stuff mixed in here where I don't think something like a 2 year, 15 million dollar deal is warranted.

Posted: January 27, 2021, 10:02 AM Post
wibadgers23 said:
brewtank34 said:

I think Yelich would look great in a Met's uniform. He'll have a big year in 2021 too. Mets should strike while the iron is still hot!

Posted: January 27, 2021, 10:52 AM Post
Trading the face of the franchise is just a hugely bad look. This isn't fantasy baseball you guys. C'mon man [smile]

Posted: January 27, 2021, 2:16 PM Post
brewtank34 said:

I think that if they're trading an OF, and not just moving one to 1B (Or hoping that there will still be an agreement on the DH), it's Garcia. Even as he is getting older, there is a massive difference in run prevention between Cain in center as opposed to Garcia or Yelich. They'd ideally want a CF if they traded Cain, so it'd then be Rosario *and* someone else.

But I gotta say, without the 1B/DH plan I don't see the logic of Rosario. You can create at bats for 4 OFs, so that's not a stumbling block, but it still spends a good chunk of whatever money there is on something that's not corner IF. And that would be fine if it was to fit in a special bat, bur Rosario is a 106 wRC+ bat for his career, who is limited to LF.

If I was in charge I'd just roll with Cain and Garcia instead of selling low.

As for it being Yelich? No, just no. Not happening.

Posted: January 27, 2021, 3:25 PM Post
wibadgers23 said:
brewtank34 said:

Another CF to Mets? What and having them cry again? And maybe the player we may trade for could cry also.

Posted: January 29, 2021, 10:17 AM Post
I'm not good at linking tweets to this message board, but there was just a tweet this morning from a Jon Becker (anyone know who that is?), and it claims that Eddie is most likely going to sign very soon here (maybe even today), and the Brewers, Braves and Dodgers are pursuing the hardest. It also mentioned an interesting nugget that Brewers are asking him to play 1B if he agreed to deal with us. It would seem to me though that the Dodgers and Braves have pretty crowded OF's as well right now - so not sure where those teams are looking at having him get most of his playing time?

Posted: January 29, 2021, 10:22 AM Post
Rosario's 230+ games at 2B in the minors suggest he'd be able to transition to 1B fairly easily, but without the DH where does that put Vogelbach? Still I like the idea.

Posted: January 29, 2021, 10:35 AM Post
JohnBriggs12 said:
Rosario's 230+ games at 2B in the minors suggest he'd be able to transition to 1B fairly easily, but without the DH where does that put Vogelbach? Still I like the idea.

Highly doubt the DH is coming to NL this year... So Vogelbach will be a bench bat now.

Posted: January 29, 2021, 10:37 AM Post
Or they could just cut him since his salary his non-guaranteed.

Posted: January 29, 2021, 10:40 AM Post
Putting a guy at 1B, that's NEVER played there before...... Uhhhh, Idk.

Posted: January 29, 2021, 10:44 AM Post
JohnBriggs12 said:

2018-20 vs RHP:

2018-20 vs LHP:

If he's able to bounce between 1B and the OF, I think a rotation of Rosario, Garcia, and Vogelbach could be pretty productive.

Posted: January 29, 2021, 10:46 AM Post
BestInTheWorld said:

Come on, man, how long have you been a Brewer fan? Making moves like that is 100% in their playbook.

Posted: January 29, 2021, 10:53 AM Post
Ron Robinson's Beard said:
BestInTheWorld said:

Come on, man, how long have you been a Brewer fan? Making moves like that is 100% in their playbook.

34 years.... And I know.... What if he sucks at it? Then the right side of our infield is TERRIBLE.

I like Rosario, just nervous about putting him at a position he's never played before... I mean they thought Braun could do it and look how that turned out.

Not that this matters but a 6'1 180 lb 1B, can't say I've ever seen someone that light be a regular 1Bman.

Online  Re: Eddie Rosario

Posted: January 29, 2021, 10:57 AM Post
BestInTheWorld said:

That doesn't mean it's a good idea, how many times has it worked out for us? I mean really worked out?

It's in our playbook because we are always desperate for a 1B. Why do we not address that position in the draft?

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Posted: January 29, 2021, 10:58 AM Post
turborickey said:
BestInTheWorld said:

That doesn't mean it's a good idea, how many times has it worked out for us? I mean really worked out?

It's in our playbook because we are always desperate for a 1B. Why do we not address that position in the draft?

Exactly, thank you!

Posted: January 29, 2021, 10:59 AM Post
I agree. Draft a 1B and just shove him in the MLB lineup. Now that should be in our playbook!

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  [ 73 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply