LambeauLeap1250 WSSP


  
Go to page 1, 2  Next  [ 21 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Adam Frazier

Author Message
Offline  Adam Frazier
#1

Posted: January 28, 2021, 9:08 AM Post
Posts: 576
Sounds like Frazier is the next Pirates player to be on the move. Does he make sense at all? Pretty decent 2B and LF defensively. Left handed bat that makes consistent contact. Likely to make around $10 million through arbitration next two years.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Adam Frazier
#2

Posted: January 28, 2021, 9:12 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 2974
We desperately need a guy like this in our lineup (high OBP). Shouldn’t cost that much to get him.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Adam Frazier
#3

Posted: January 28, 2021, 9:18 AM Post
Posts: 2627
Location: Madison, WI
While I'm sure we'll end up with an NL DH a couple years down the road, it sure doesn't look like we are going to have one in 2021. So it doesn't seem like Frazier is a roster fit at all. Yelich is probably being viewed as a left fielder exclusively, and while I think Hiura is eventually moved off second base, I'd guess the Brewers are fully committed to Hiura getting another full season at second base. So if you pick up Frazier, to me it seems to come down to how much do you want to give up for a 3B that has slashed .268/.330/.418/.748 over the last three season (can't really see him playing anywhere other than 3B if he's in a Brewer uniform).


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Adam Frazier
#4

Posted: January 28, 2021, 9:41 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 17234
Location: Milwaukee, WI
If he could play 3B, this would be great. It doesn't look to be a fit though.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Adam Frazier
#5

Posted: January 28, 2021, 9:55 AM Post
Posts: 12895
He'd be a nice fit if they wanted to move Hiura to 1B. Of course that's not likely if they don't have the DH. He hits lefties well enough too that he could stay in the lineup against some lefties. He's a much better option than Jace Peterson.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Adam Frazier
#6

Posted: January 28, 2021, 10:00 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 4504
Brew4U said:
If he could play 3B, this would be great. It doesn't look to be a fit though.


Looking back through some of his old scouting reports, several indicate that he wouldn't have any problem playing 3B. That was obviously never a huge need in Pittsburgh with full-timers Josh Harrison first entrenched there, then Colin Moran, during Frazier's time. I personally would much rather see Frazier as the team's regular 3B than Urias, if that is the route they are currently looking at.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Adam Frazier
#7

Posted: January 28, 2021, 10:16 AM Post
Posts: 5919
Not sure I follow. His upside is a 2-2.5 WAR player. 10HRs is his career high in a season. OB of .338 for career. Sorta epitome of High Floor, 0 ceiling making 4+mil next season. Like I said go sign Asdrubal Cabrera if you want a high floor 0 ceiling player. He at least has a lil more pop and played effectively all the infield. No loss in prospects.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Adam Frazier
#8

Posted: January 28, 2021, 10:27 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 4504
brewcrewdue80 said:
Not sure I follow. His upside is a 2-2.5 WAR player. 10HRs is his career high in a season. OB of .338 for career. Sorta epitome of High Floor, 0 ceiling making 4+mil next season. Like I said go sign Asdrubal Cabrera if you want a high floor 0 ceiling player. He at least has a lil more pop and played effectively all the infield. No loss in prospects.


Frazier is 6 years younger, substantially more athletic, and likely a substantially better fielder than Cabrera at every position other than maybe 1B. Frazier also brings a sizable amount of OF experience to the table.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Adam Frazier
#9

Posted: January 28, 2021, 10:41 AM Post
Posts: 2627
Location: Madison, WI
If the Brewers are really hot on adding a fourth outfielder, then maybe the Gregory Polanco would be an option considering the package that you could get for picking up the rest of his contract. Polanco was bad in 2019 and horrible in 2020, I'm guessing he's done. But maybe you'd get lucky and he'd has one good season left in him and you'd get it because he'd be revitalized moving out of Pittsburgh. If the Brewers have 15 million left (doubtful)...Polanco gets 11 million this year...a 3 million dollar buyout next year and then you have to cover Frazier's 4+ million dollar salary this year, so it would be a 15 million dollar commitment for 2021. But who really believes that Pittsburgh's main motivation is accumulating prospect over dumping salaries? I think they'd probably give up a pretty decent prospect to get Polanco's salary off the books.

Fun to think about but I don't think Attanasio would approve the salary aspect. But it would be a good way to get pieces while only really having to give up money to do so.

Milwaukee gets:
OF-Gregory Polanco
IF-Adam Frazier
OF-Sammy Siani

Pittsburgh gets:
IF-Mark Mathias
IF-Yeison Coca


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Adam Frazier
#10

Posted: January 28, 2021, 10:42 AM Post
Posts: 5919
Ron Robinson's Beard said:
brewcrewdue80 said:
Not sure I follow. His upside is a 2-2.5 WAR player. 10HRs is his career high in a season. OB of .338 for career. Sorta epitome of High Floor, 0 ceiling making 4+mil next season. Like I said go sign Asdrubal Cabrera if you want a high floor 0 ceiling player. He at least has a lil more pop and played effectively all the infield. No loss in prospects.


Frazier is 6 years younger, substantially more athletic, and likely a substantially better fielder than Cabrera at every position other than maybe 1B. Frazier also brings a sizable amount of OF experience to the table.

Who with limited upside and a rising contract becomes a non tender candidate next season. Especially if his bat reflects 2020 numbers.
Cabrera is a switch hitter. Frazier looking at splits seems closer to a platoon player. It's just so limited and he doesn't fit in the roster without moving him somewhere hes far less experienced in. Hard pass.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Adam Frazier
#11

Posted: January 28, 2021, 11:27 AM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 11637
Before we get too far along determining what a player's lack of upside is at age-28, a friendly reminder:

1) Adam Frazier has a career .749 OPS (a 100 OPS+) through age-28 which is perfectly league average.

2) Justin Turner, the player many of us are hoping for, had a career OPS of .684 (a 92 OPS+) through his age-28 season.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Adam Frazier
#12

Posted: January 28, 2021, 12:04 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 9429
Turner also famously made major adjustments to his swing that made him the player he is today.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Adam Frazier
#13

Posted: January 28, 2021, 12:56 PM Post
Posts: 1055
JosephC said:
If the Brewers are really hot on adding a fourth outfielder, then maybe the Gregory Polanco would be an option considering the package that you could get for picking up the rest of his contract. Polanco was bad in 2019 and horrible in 2020, I'm guessing he's done. But maybe you'd get lucky and he'd has one good season left in him and you'd get it because he'd be revitalized moving out of Pittsburgh. If the Brewers have 15 million left (doubtful)...Polanco gets 11 million this year...a 3 million dollar buyout next year and then you have to cover Frazier's 4+ million dollar salary this year, so it would be a 15 million dollar commitment for 2021. But who really believes that Pittsburgh's main motivation is accumulating prospect over dumping salaries? I think they'd probably give up a pretty decent prospect to get Polanco's salary off the books.

Fun to think about but I don't think Attanasio would approve the salary aspect. But it would be a good way to get pieces while only really having to give up money to do so.

Milwaukee gets:
OF-Gregory Polanco
IF-Adam Frazier
OF-Sammy Siani

Pittsburgh gets:
IF-Mark Mathias
IF-Yeison Coca


I just don't see spending nearly $15M for a career .246/.313 hitter to be a 4th OF.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Adam Frazier
#14

Posted: January 28, 2021, 1:41 PM Post
Posts: 109
Go get Frazier and Moran in the same deal. Plugs 2 holes for the next 2 years.

Adam Frazier and Colin Moran

for

Aaron Ashby, Jefferson Quero, and Corey Ray


Sign Gyorko back at 2.5m

C - Narvaez/Pina
1B - Gyorko/Vogelbach
2B - Hiura/Frazier
SS - Arcia
3B - Moran/Urias
LF - Yelich
CF - Cain
RF - Garcia/Frazier

If they add a DH then Hiura and Vogelbach can work their and Frazier becomes a primary 2B with Urias


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Adam Frazier
#15

Posted: January 28, 2021, 1:46 PM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 11637
jerichoholicninja said:
Turner also famously made major adjustments to his swing that made him the player he is today.

That's certainly true. It's also why the Brewers approach of acquiring talented players in their late mid-to-late 20's that haven't fully clicked yet has some merit (i.e. Billy McKinney, Daniel Vogelbach, Dustin Peterson, Dylan Cozens, Daniel Robertson). If the organization believes they can help make tangible adjustments or improvements for such players then it's certainly worth the fliers.

Interestingly, one of Turner's big changes was his front leg having an elevated (almost exaggerated) lift. If you watch Frazier's current swing it almost looks like his front foot is stapled to the ground.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Adam Frazier
#16

Posted: January 28, 2021, 2:16 PM Post
Posts: 5919
Vollbc74 said:
Go get Frazier and Moran in the same deal. Plugs 2 holes for the next 2 years.

Adam Frazier and Colin Moran

for

Aaron Ashby, Jefferson Quero, and Corey Ray


Sign Gyorko back at 2.5m

C - Narvaez/Pina
1B - Gyorko/Vogelbach
2B - Hiura/Frazier
SS - Arcia
3B - Moran/Urias
LF - Yelich
CF - Cain
RF - Garcia/Frazier

If they add a DH then Hiura and Vogelbach can work their and Frazier becomes a primary 2B with Urias


Ya had to do it. The Brewerfan toss in Ray trade idea. Can't dislike the yankee fans trade ideas for Hader now that you done so.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Adam Frazier
#17

Posted: January 28, 2021, 2:31 PM Post
Posts: 5919
Eye Black said:
Before we get too far along determining what a player's lack of upside is at age-28, a friendly reminder:

1) Adam Frazier has a career .749 OPS (a 100 OPS+) through age-28 which is perfectly league average.

2) Justin Turner, the player many of us are hoping for, had a career OPS of .684 (a 92 OPS+) through his age-28 season.


Statcast does like Frazier mildly on XBA and on k% and whiffs. But he's in bottom 20% or lower in all other categories. That breakout comparison to Turner shares no sign currently about to happen. So hope and pray he becomes the next Turner age 28 makes the trade idea a good idea.

Maybe a reason he beats Milwaukee pitching so often is his first pitch swing pct has been under 22% compared to 28+ League avg. Our guys don't exactly light up the strike zone these past 4years. He's probably had a lot of favorable counts.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Adam Frazier
#18

Posted: January 28, 2021, 2:33 PM Post
Posts: 109
brewcrewdue80 said:
Vollbc74 said:
Go get Frazier and Moran in the same deal. Plugs 2 holes for the next 2 years.

Adam Frazier and Colin Moran

for

Aaron Ashby, Jefferson Quero, and Corey Ray


Sign Gyorko back at 2.5m

C - Narvaez/Pina
1B - Gyorko/Vogelbach
2B - Hiura/Frazier
SS - Arcia
3B - Moran/Urias
LF - Yelich
CF - Cain
RF - Garcia/Frazier

If they add a DH then Hiura and Vogelbach can work their and Frazier becomes a primary 2B with Urias


Ya had to do it. The Brewerfan toss in Ray trade idea. Can't dislike the yankee fans trade ideas for Hader now that you done so.


I thought it was a rule to include Ray in any trade?

Honestly though, he would be the type of guy I would take a chance on if I was in the Pirates position. High draft pick with hopes that he can figure it out to become at least a platoon MLB bat.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Adam Frazier
#19

Posted: January 28, 2021, 2:42 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 13540
Vollbc74 said:
Go get Frazier and Moran in the same deal. Plugs 2 holes for the next 2 years.

Adam Frazier and Colin Moran

for

Aaron Ashby, Jefferson Quero, and Corey Ray


Sign Gyorko back at 2.5m

C - Narvaez/Pina
1B - Gyorko/Vogelbach
2B - Hiura/Frazier
SS - Arcia
3B - Moran/Urias
LF - Yelich
CF - Cain
RF - Garcia/Frazier

If they add a DH then Hiura and Vogelbach can work their and Frazier becomes a primary 2B with Urias


No on Ashby. He and Small need to stay put!

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Adam Frazier
#20

Posted: January 28, 2021, 3:38 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 1607
Location: Chicago
turborickey said:
Vollbc74 said:
Go get Frazier and Moran in the same deal. Plugs 2 holes for the next 2 years.

Adam Frazier and Colin Moran

for

Aaron Ashby, Jefferson Quero, and Corey Ray


Sign Gyorko back at 2.5m

C - Narvaez/Pina
1B - Gyorko/Vogelbach
2B - Hiura/Frazier
SS - Arcia
3B - Moran/Urias
LF - Yelich
CF - Cain
RF - Garcia/Frazier

If they add a DH then Hiura and Vogelbach can work their and Frazier becomes a primary 2B with Urias


No on Ashby. He and Small need to stay put!


It wouldn't matter if they include Ashby and Small, its still a pile of garbage. Surely the Pirates would be able to get one Top 100 prospect for BOTH Frazier and Moran. (FWIW Keith Law on The Athletic has just two Brewers prospects in his Top 100: Mitchell at #95, and Turang at #96).


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Go to page 1, 2  Next  [ 21 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
  


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: LincolnDD, paul253, Ulice Payne and 3 guests

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search this forum (phpBB search):
Jump to:  
Search entire board (Google search):
Google
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Test