LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page 1, 2  Next  [ 23 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Kolten Wong

Offline  Kolten Wong

Posted: February 03, 2021, 12:23 PM Post
Global Moderator
Brewers reportedly in discussions with Kolten Wong.

Per Ken Rosenthal:

Brewers are in discussions with free-agent second baseman Kolten Wong, sources tell The Athletic. Not clear at this point whether a deal is close.

Offline  Re: Kolten Wong

Posted: February 03, 2021, 12:28 PM Post
And then move Hiura to first? I like it.

Posted: February 03, 2021, 12:29 PM Post
Great defensive second baseman but doesn't help a lineup that already can't hit.

Posted: February 03, 2021, 12:32 PM Post
brewers888 said:
Great defensive second baseman but doesn't help a lineup that already can't hit.

Good on base guy which this lineup desperately needs. Had a pretty good 2019 at the plate. I don’t know, could be worse I guess.

Posted: February 03, 2021, 12:33 PM Post
thinking about it, it could work. I think Wong is better than most the corner IF guys out there. Move Hiura to 1st, Urias to 3rd. Its not the best starting IF but its better than what you had last year.

Posted: February 03, 2021, 12:34 PM Post
1.3 WAR last season isn't bad.

Posted: February 03, 2021, 12:35 PM Post
LOL I posted about Wong last night. Is Stearns stalking me? Am I Stearns? Questions that have no answers.

Posted: February 03, 2021, 12:38 PM Post
Wong seems to wreck the pitching at Miller Park every time he visits so hopefully he could do that in our uniform as well.

Posted: February 03, 2021, 12:44 PM Post
Brewers had the highest groundball percentage in the majors last year, adding the best defensive 2B in the game makes sense from that point of view. Another LHH too.

But I also wonder what it does for the 3B search; both in terms of money available for it and roster spots. Would also require there to either be a DH, or for Hiura to pick up 1B well enough.

Or perhaps it's just a case of Brewers being in contact with every FA, as they are, and it getting reported as more than it is?

Posted: February 03, 2021, 12:44 PM Post
The improved defense at 2B would be nice. I love him, but Hiura does kind feels like a square peg in a round hole. Huge potential as a 2B, but the defense isn't quite there, so you can move him to 1B or DH (and there's question marks on if he can actually play first as well), but that kills a ton of his offensive value. It makes me wonder if there's a potential swap if we were to sign Wong. It would have to be someone with equally huge potential, we'd just be moving it to another part of the diamond. Otherwise, if Hiura can play 1st adequately, he is a pretty safe improvement over Vogelbach there.

2018-20 vs. RHP:

2018-20 vs. LHP:

Last edited by MrAllen on February 03, 2021, 12:48 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: February 03, 2021, 12:45 PM Post
Wong isn't versatile at all, he's definitely a true 2B only, so it would be interesting to see what they have in mind with Hiura if they signed Wong.

If the DH is here to stay, you'd think Hiura becomes your fulltime DH. Otherwise, a trade could be possible although the return would need to be significant and basically ignore the struggles of Hiura in 2020.

Posted: February 03, 2021, 12:48 PM Post
Global Moderator
I know Stearns made the comments about Keston moving to 1B yesterday, but I also wonder whether Hiura is possibly being considered as a potential trade candidate.

If they were going to seriously make a run at someone like Jose Ramirez, then Hiura could be a good starting point for the return package the Brewers would need to put together.

Posted: February 03, 2021, 12:49 PM Post
He does make for a huge trade chip in this scenario.

Posted: February 03, 2021, 12:49 PM Post
adambr2 said:
Wong isn't versatile at all, he's definitely a true 2B only, so it would be interesting to see what they have in mind with Hiura if they signed Wong.

If the DH is here to stay, you'd think Hiura becomes your fulltime DH. Otherwise, a trade could be possible although the return would need to be significant and basically ignore the struggles of Hiura in 2020.

Makes me wonder if Hiura is on the block? I remember talk that there were quite a few teams inquiring at the trade deadline.

Posted: February 03, 2021, 12:51 PM Post
Morosi reporting the Brewers have signed Wong!

https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/13 ... 8840044546

Last edited by Ron Robinson's Beard on February 03, 2021, 12:52 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: February 03, 2021, 12:51 PM Post
Maybe Hiura goes in a package for somebody like Jose Ramirez in this scenario? Or some other stud 1B or 3B?

Posted: February 03, 2021, 12:53 PM Post
Sign Wong and Hiura goes in the Ramirez trade [smile]

Posted: February 03, 2021, 12:56 PM Post
A Wong/Robertson (even Urias) 2B platoon would be very good defensively.

Posted: February 03, 2021, 12:58 PM Post
I think they are just going to shuffle Hiura anywhere until he can find his proper home at DH. I doubt there is any chance they trade him. Hard to get correct value after a miserable 2020.

Posted: February 03, 2021, 12:58 PM Post
I would take him. He had a very solid 2019 campaign, including 24 stolen bases and plays stellar defense. I think you sign him and figure out what to do with Hiura after the fact, whether it be 1B, 3B, or trade.

Go to page 1, 2  Next  [ 23 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply