LambeauLeap1250 WSSP


  
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  [ 102 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

3B Trade Targets

Author Message
Offline  Re: 3B Trade Targets
#61

Posted: February 16, 2021, 6:51 PM Post
Posts: 1153
Even if Shaw somehow reverted to 2017, which we can all hope for, he’s a stopgap. The organization badly needs a top young prospect or good young MLB player for 3B. We are likely looking at this same situation next winter too.

I understand the theory of going after up the middle talent in the draft and Latin signings. The theory is some of those guys can fill out and end up on a corner. Heck Gorman Thomas and Ryan Braun were SS’s as amateurs. But the problem is we haven’t actually drafted a SS who profiles as a kid who is growing into a 3B. We have Turang, Garcia, Zamora and Cantrelle, all good prospects. But I don’t see any at 3B.

Jesus Parra might be a good 3B but that’s an unknown right now.

At the end of the day 3B is not up the middle, but it takes a unique skill set. You need quickness and decent range, a strong, accurate arm, and some pop. It’s a tough skill set to find and I hope we prioritize it better. My guess - we totally will. Scott Rolen’s don’t grow on trees.

If we can make a deal, Jordan Groshans and Brett Baty are a couple of prospects who profile well at 3B and who’d be great to acquire if we can figure out how to do it.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 3B Trade Targets
#62

Posted: February 16, 2021, 7:05 PM Post
Posts: 694
BestInTheWorld said:
Devinep said:
The rays always fart out infielders so they still have extra. With Lowe and Wendle as 2B/3B starters, I wonder if Mike Brosseau or Yandy Diaz are available for a decent price


Highly unlikely... Both are RHH of platoons... Yes they traded away Snell but Rays are still going after it, they arent blowing everything up.


Yes they are still useful as part of platoons but that doesn’t mean they wouldn’t trade them or are irreplaceable to TB. Snell was still part of the rotation and they still traded him. They surely would consider trading their 4th best 2B/3B for the right return


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 3B Trade Targets
#63

Posted: February 16, 2021, 8:33 PM Post
Posts: 137
Why do we need a LH 3B? We need someone who is going to produce or someone who has the POTENTIAL to develop into a producer. Would have much rather just gone and spent the 3 million on some other pitcher to add. Wouldn't have even hated adding to the bullpen for 3 million over Shaw. Guy strikes out more in clutch situations than anyone.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 3B Trade Targets
#64

Posted: February 16, 2021, 10:19 PM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 9224
It's prospects week at FanGraphs and the article below included some of the mid-tier 3B prospects I mentioned on the first page of this thread, and one I had originally listed, but deleted (Hudson Potts, Red Sox). Again, the idea wasn't for guys that would necessarily be in the majors this season, but rather trying to build up a little bit of an organizational reserve at the third base position.

FanGraphs Article: Mid-Tier Hitters I Like


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 3B Trade Targets
#65

Posted: February 23, 2021, 8:03 AM Post
Posts: 12645
Miguel Andujar is buried on the depth chart of the Yankees. I get his defense is in question especially since his shoulder surgery, but we're talking about a guy who was 2nd in the ROY voting in 2018. He just hasn't played a lot the last couple years. Brewers should be scouting him daily.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: 3B Trade Targets
#66

Posted: February 23, 2021, 8:11 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 2654
JohnBriggs12 said:
Miguel Andujar is buried on the depth chart of the Yankees. I get his defense is in question especially since his shoulder surgery, but we're talking about a guy who was 2nd in the ROY voting in 2018. He just hasn't played a lot the last couple years. Brewers should be scouting him daily.


I think it's a little bigger than "his defense is in question", though. Andujar is an atrocious defender. I know that the DH will eventually be adopted in the NL, but the Brewers have to be careful how many "bat first, no D" type players they acquire. Hiura is moving to 1B, but his long-term spot is probably DH. Yelich already doesn't have a great arm in the OF, so he might be a DH in waiting as well.

Formerly Joey Meyer Bombs


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: 3B Trade Targets
#67

Posted: February 23, 2021, 8:16 AM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 10644
Ron Robinson's Beard said:
JohnBriggs12 said:
Miguel Andujar is buried on the depth chart of the Yankees. I get his defense is in question especially since his shoulder surgery, but we're talking about a guy who was 2nd in the ROY voting in 2018. He just hasn't played a lot the last couple years. Brewers should be scouting him daily.


I think it's a little bigger than "his defense is in question", though. Andujar is an atrocious defender. I know that the DH will eventually be adopted in the NL, but the Brewers have to be careful how many "bat first, no D" type players they acquire. Hiura is moving to 1B, but his long-term spot is probably DH. Yelich already doesn't have a great arm in the OF, so he might be a DH in waiting as well.


Agreed completely. I think Andujar is a bat that would be intriguing for the Brewers, but he's not a 3B. I view him similarly to JD Davis, another popular name in trades, in that they're really 3Bs in that they played there in the minors, but that they project elsewhere in MLB.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: 3B Trade Targets
#68

Posted: February 23, 2021, 8:44 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 15789
Location: Milwaukee, WI
I think we have our guys that will man this position already. I think You will see a combination with Shaw, Arcia, and Urias with a possibility of a guy like Robertson or Green. I don't want a butcher at any position. Hiura hopefully can be serviceable at 1B or we need to move on from the guy.

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 3B Trade Targets
#69

Posted: February 23, 2021, 8:46 AM Post
Posts: 5458
JohnBriggs12 said:
Miguel Andujar is buried on the depth chart of the Yankees. I get his defense is in question especially since his shoulder surgery, but we're talking about a guy who was 2nd in the ROY voting in 2018. He just hasn't played a lot the last couple years. Brewers should be scouting him daily.


In 1992 Pat Listach Was ROY. How'd that end up for Milwaukee?
That season by Andujar was above his norm in the minors. In other words an outlier.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 3B Trade Targets
#70

Posted: February 23, 2021, 2:29 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 19376
Are we even sure Andujar is a good hitter? I'm not convinced. You're talking about a guy who has to hit .300 to have an acceptable OBP and even then, it's barely acceptable. Drop him down to .280 and you're looking to upgrade your offense at the position. Drop him to .250 and he's a replacement level player or worse considering his defense.

Cards' fans wear jorts.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 3B Trade Targets
#71

Posted: March 03, 2021, 8:52 AM Post
Posts: 12645
trwi7 said:
Are we even sure Andujar is a good hitter? I'm not convinced. You're talking about a guy who has to hit .300 to have an acceptable OBP and even then, it's barely acceptable. Drop him down to .280 and you're looking to upgrade your offense at the position. Drop him to .250 and he's a replacement level player or worse considering his defense.


In 2017 between AA and AAA he hit .315/.352/.498 and only fanned 71 times in 522 PA

He followed that up with .297/.328/.527 in the big leagues with only 97 K's in over 600 PA

He missed almost all of 2019 with a shoulder injury.

Contact hitter with power is a rare combination. Sure he doesn't walk a lot in part because he puts the ball in play. Those guys are valuable as run producers who can get a guy in from third with less than two outs. I don't think the question is whether he can hit, it's if his shoulder is healthy enough for him to play third. He did play there in half his games in the Dominican Winter League this winter.

All the questions brought up simply lower his trade value especially buried as he is in the Yankee depth chart.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 3B Trade Targets
#72

Posted: March 03, 2021, 9:48 AM Post
Posts: 922
JohnBriggs12 said:
trwi7 said:
Are we even sure Andujar is a good hitter? I'm not convinced. You're talking about a guy who has to hit .300 to have an acceptable OBP and even then, it's barely acceptable. Drop him down to .280 and you're looking to upgrade your offense at the position. Drop him to .250 and he's a replacement level player or worse considering his defense.


In 2017 between AA and AAA he hit .315/.352/.498 and only fanned 71 times in 522 PA

He followed that up with .297/.328/.527 in the big leagues with only 97 K's in over 600 PA

He missed almost all of 2019 with a shoulder injury.

Contact hitter with power is a rare combination. Sure he doesn't walk a lot in part because he puts the ball in play. Those guys are valuable as run producers who can get a guy in from third with less than two outs. I don't think the question is whether he can hit, it's if his shoulder is healthy enough for him to play third. He did play there in half his games in the Dominican Winter League this winter.

All the questions brought up simply lower his trade value especially buried as he is in the Yankee depth chart.


He hasn't been very good at 3B in the majors and hasn't hit well in 2 years. There has to be a reason the Yankees can't peddle him.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 3B Trade Targets
#73

Posted: March 03, 2021, 9:59 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 19376
JohnBriggs12 said:
trwi7 said:
Are we even sure Andujar is a good hitter? I'm not convinced. You're talking about a guy who has to hit .300 to have an acceptable OBP and even then, it's barely acceptable. Drop him down to .280 and you're looking to upgrade your offense at the position. Drop him to .250 and he's a replacement level player or worse considering his defense.


In 2017 between AA and AAA he hit .315/.352/.498 and only fanned 71 times in 522 PA

He followed that up with .297/.328/.527 in the big leagues with only 97 K's in over 600 PA


You basically just proved my point, so...thanks?

Cards' fans wear jorts.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 3B Trade Targets
#74

Posted: March 07, 2021, 10:19 AM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 9224
reillymcshane said:
KeithStone53151 said:
Eye Black said:
What about trading with the Astros for Aledmys Díaz?

He's a bench bats for the Astros, but can play around the diamond. He's a RHH with reverse splits. For his career Díaz has a batting line of .287 BA / .334 OBP / .487 SLG against RHP (that's over a sample of 1116 plate appearances against RHP).


I've always felt he's a bit underrated and I think that would be a solid target. Obviously cost would determine whether the trade is feasible or not

I had forgotten about the guy. Seems like a reasonable guy to look into.

Ken Rosenthal mentioned on MLB Network yesterday that the Astros may look to shed some payroll this season in order to remain under the luxury tax threshold after signing Jake Odorizzi. The Astros were around $10 million shy of the threshold before the Odorizzi free agent agreement. Rosenthal specifically mentioned Aledmys Diaz as a candidate to get moved, pointing out it would save the Astros $3 million this year (and likely even more next season). If the Astros do decide to move Diaz in favor of a lower salary option, I hope the Brewers are in the conversation. He could play every position on the infield and as mentioned previously is a very solid hitter against RHPs.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 3B Trade Targets
#75

Posted: March 07, 2021, 10:28 AM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 9224
Eye Black said:
Dodgers as a 3B trade partner
The Dodgers have an embarrassment of riches. As mentioned they traded for Sheldon Neuse this week who would’ve been an excellent Brewers target. They already had three third baseman among their top-10 prospects.

Edwin Rios, age-26 (turns 27 in April and is the Dodgers #7 overall prospect per Baseball America) now moves to a backup role and a LHH off the bench. If the DH does come to the NL they should be able to find more at-bats for him.

Kody Hoese, age-23, projects to be a solid future third baseman and is a well-rounded hitter. He is the Dodgers #4 overall prospect according to Baseball America. I would be over the moon if the Brewers found a way to acquire Hoese as their potential future at the position (not for 2021, but a play that could pay off for the future).

Miguel Vargas, age-21, from Cuba, Vargas is the Dodgers #9 overall prospect by BA’s rankings. He isn’t exactly proven and would be riskier than the others mentioned. He projects to have line drive power to the gaps and should rack up plenty of doubles. I don’t think the Dodgers would move him or the Brewers would be as interested, but I wanted to point out just how overflowing the Dodgers are with 3B prospects.

Add Dodgers 25-year old infielder Zach McKinstry to the Dodgers incredible depth of infielders that project to be decent big leaguers. McKinstry has played some 3B, but is more than likely a 2B long-term so probably not a perfect match. Seems to have a decent contact oriented approach and swings as a LHH.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 3B Trade Targets
#76

Posted: March 07, 2021, 1:51 PM Post
Posts: 922
I'd like to see Arnold/Stearns look at Brosseau from the Rays. Hit .304/.394/.960 in AAA and so far in the big leagues .284/.343/.843 in a small sample (218 ABs). Good power and decent with the glove. I think he could be had very cheaply due to the Rays plethora of infielders.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 3B Trade Targets
#77

Posted: March 07, 2021, 3:36 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 10441
Don’t think Shaw will be the guy at 3rd.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 3B Trade Targets
#78

Posted: March 07, 2021, 5:07 PM Post
Posts: 694
wntrtxn21 said:
I'd like to see Arnold/Stearns look at Brosseau from the Rays. Hit .304/.394/.960 in AAA and so far in the big leagues .284/.343/.843 in a small sample (218 ABs). Good power and decent with the glove. I think he could be had very cheaply due to the Rays plethora of infielders.


Yandy Diaz from Tampa also


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: 3B Trade Targets
#79

Posted: March 08, 2021, 7:46 AM Post
Posts: 1343
wntrtxn21 said:
I'd like to see Arnold/Stearns look at Brosseau from the Rays. Hit .304/.394/.960 in AAA and so far in the big leagues .284/.343/.843 in a small sample (218 ABs). Good power and decent with the glove. I think he could be had very cheaply due to the Rays plethora of infielders.


Rays arent stupid, they arent trading Brosseau... He will be one of their core guys until he gets expensive.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 3B Trade Targets
#80

Posted: March 08, 2021, 3:13 PM Post
Posts: 922
BestInTheWorld said:
wntrtxn21 said:
I'd like to see Arnold/Stearns look at Brosseau from the Rays. Hit .304/.394/.960 in AAA and so far in the big leagues .284/.343/.843 in a small sample (218 ABs). Good power and decent with the glove. I think he could be had very cheaply due to the Rays plethora of infielders.


Rays arent stupid, they arent trading Brosseau... He will be one of their core guys until he gets expensive.


From what I read (not a great deal) from the Rays' sites, Brosseau is going to be kind of a utility guy. They have Diaz at 3rd with Choi at 1B and they also went and got Tsutsugo from Japan. Plus they still have Wendle (a guy I forgot about, but would be worth trading for. Career .277/.332/.734 - doesn't strikeout much - LH bat - good glove at 3B and can play 2B or SS. Not a lot of power 15-20 bombs). He could be had fairly cheaply too.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  [ 102 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
  


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: tggibby55 and 4 guests

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search this forum (phpBB search):
Jump to:  
Search entire board (Google search):
Google
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Test