LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next  [ 162 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Jackie Bradley Jr.

Online  Re: Jackie Bradley Jr.

Posted: February 22, 2021, 1:35 PM Post
Global Moderator
LF: Yelich (145) Garcia (17)
CF: Cain (110) JBJ (52)
RF: Garcia (94) JBJ (68)

Yelich (145) JBJ (120 vs RHP) Garcia (111) Cain (110)

Plenty of starts for all four even without the DH.

Offline  Re: Jackie Bradley Jr.

Posted: February 22, 2021, 1:36 PM Post
Eye Black said:
This is just total speculation on my part, but I wonder if they started engaging in Cain trade offers when they were negotiating the free agent offer for Justin Turner. Cain is owed $35 million over the next two seasons, so moving his contract would certainly open up some additional financial flexibility.

Not sure there are many options for utilizing that extra flexibility this year, but maybe geared towards next year when there will hopefully be full ballparks again? My total pie in the sky hope (yes, I know it's completely unrealistic and won't actually happen) is that the Brewers end up making a massive multi-year offer for Corey Seager next off-season.

No team is taking on Lorenzo Cain for $35 million dollars and giving up something in return, and the Brewers don't typically include cash in trades. That tells you where Cain will be playing if he plays.

Posted: February 22, 2021, 1:37 PM Post
brewers888 said:
How about targeting a player that can actually hit. It just makes no sense to me to keep looking at players that add nothing to the offense.

You really think Yelich, Hiura, Garcia and Narvaez are gonna be the terrible hitters they were in 2020?

Our lineup has it in them to be very good this year.

Posted: February 22, 2021, 1:39 PM Post
I don't know if a Cain trade is all that likely. Like if a team wanted to trade for Cain while taking on a good chunk of the money, wouldn't they just go sign JBJ instead? We'll have to see how serious this interest really ends up being.

I suspect it's more along the lines of Moose/Grandal; we're into spring training, free agent hasn't had the market he expected, Brewers have at least some money (Or Turner wouldn't have been an option), so figure to swoop in. It *could* still mean a Cain or Garcia trade, but I also don't think you can have too may good players. Easily enough playing time to go around for Cain/Yelich/Garcia/JBJ with L/R platoons, rest days, injuries, double switches etc.

This front office is all about value. If they feel like they can get a good player for less than what they reckon he's worth, they'll do it.

Posted: February 22, 2021, 1:40 PM Post
Not my money at the end of the day, so I'm all for it!

Having Cain and Bradley in the OF (and Wong/Arcia/Urias in the IF) would be incredible and fun to watch.

Posted: February 22, 2021, 1:42 PM Post
Global Moderator
Brew4U said:
What I am probably the most excited about lately is the emphasis on defense for the Brewers. I think they've realized they need it badly to win again. They had it in 2018 and are searching for the right combination. Good to see.

It really was the M.O. of that 2018 team as well. The defense was good and made the pitching (Cough.... Chacin and Miley..... cough) better than they otherwise would have been. The Brewers staff is already going to be good, the defense will make it better. I'd like it if they could add ONE thumper bat, but I think they could be very good regardless.

Posted: February 22, 2021, 1:43 PM Post
Eye Black said:
The confusing part would be why they are adding so many potential outfielders right now. Are they potentially contemplating moving on from Garcia or Cain in the near future?

It's not that crazy considering our current 4/5 OF options. Who is the leading candidate right now, Derek Fisher? Tyrone Taylor and Corey Ray do not inspire confidence for regular playing time.

Posted: February 22, 2021, 1:45 PM Post
PeaveyFury said:
Brew4U said:
What I am probably the most excited about lately is the emphasis on defense for the Brewers. I think they've realized they need it badly to win again. They had it in 2018 and are searching for the right combination. Good to see.

It really was the M.O. of that 2018 team as well. The defense was good and made the pitching (Cough.... Chacin and Miley..... cough) better than they otherwise would have been. The Brewers staff is already going to be good, the defense will make it better. I'd like it if they could add ONE thumper bat, but I think they could be very good regardless.

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun

Posted: February 22, 2021, 1:46 PM Post
BestInTheWorld said:
brewers888 said:
How about targeting a player that can actually hit. It just makes no sense to me to keep looking at players that add nothing to the offense.

You really think Yelich, Hiura, Garcia and Narvaez are gonna be the terrible hitters they were in 2020?

I expect Yelich and Hiura to be much better and don't expect much from either Garcia or Narvaez. You really have to be wearing some Brewers tinted glasses to see this offense being good.

Posted: February 22, 2021, 1:47 PM Post
Global Moderator
brewers888 said:
BestInTheWorld said:
brewers888 said:

I expect Yelich and Hiura to be much better and don't expect much from either Garcia or Narvaez. You really have to be wearing some Brewers tinted glasses to see this offense being good.

You've been asked repeatedly who you think they should pursue, and still haven't responded. Please let us know who specifically you want them to sign at this point.

Posted: February 22, 2021, 1:47 PM Post
Maybe teams with a young 3B who is blocked are asking about Taylor? Sure Garcia and Yelich can play CF in a pinch but I don't think playing Garcia there last year helped his offense nor do they want to move Yelich from LF. That would leave Taylor as primary backup in CF and if he could be used in a package for help at 3B, they'd need more depth.

Posted: February 22, 2021, 1:48 PM Post
PeaveyFury said:
Brew4U said:

I can't see this team winning even a weak NL Central with this offense. Its great that the pitching and defense look good but this offense looks about as putrid as it was last season.

Posted: February 22, 2021, 1:54 PM Post
Lathund said:
I don't know if a Cain trade is all that likely. Like if a team wanted to trade for Cain while taking on a good chunk of the money, wouldn't they just go sign JBJ instead? We'll have to see how serious this interest really ends up being.

................................... Easily enough playing time to go around for Cain/Yelich/Garcia/JBJ with L/R platoons, rest days, injuries, double switches etc.

This front office is all about value. If they feel like they can get a good player for less than what they reckon he's worth, they'll do it.

Agreed. JBJ is a solid player. Whether or not he gets 450 or 600 ABs, he improves the roster. They clearly have some money to spend if they want and he'd provide a level of insurance for injury\illness.

Posted: February 22, 2021, 1:56 PM Post
brewers888 said:
PeaveyFury said:
Brew4U said:

I can't see this team winning even a weak NL Central with this offense. Its great that the pitching and defense look good but this offense looks about as putrid as it was last season.

How much defense do you need behind Burnes (13.3 K per 9), Woodruff (11.1), Williams (17.7) and Hader (14.7)? They accounted for just about 35% of the total innings.

Posted: February 22, 2021, 2:01 PM Post
I don't see any free agents worth signing at this point. The only way to improve the offense would be through a trade with Hader probably being the piece we use to get a legitimate bat.

Posted: February 22, 2021, 2:10 PM Post
As great a prospect as he is, Luis Robert did not set the world on fire for the White Sox last year in CF (.233/.302/.436) and 73 K's (32% rate). White Sox are obviously all in and Cain could provide veteran leadership and take pressure off Robert and maybe they like him more than Bradley. White Sox also got very little out of Encarnacion as their primary DH last year and having Cain to DH while sharing CF with Robert would make sense for them.

Posted: February 22, 2021, 2:20 PM Post
Global Moderator
brewers888 said:
I don't see any free agents worth signing at this point. The only way to improve the offense would be through a trade with Hader probably being the piece we use to get a legitimate bat.

Like who?

Posted: February 22, 2021, 2:24 PM Post
Yoenis Cespedes is holding a workout for teams on March 2. I would rather take a cheap flier on him to replace Garcia in the lineup than pay 10 million per season for Bradley.

Posted: February 22, 2021, 2:25 PM Post
This kinda reminds me of a few years ago when we acquired Cain and Yelich and just assumed Domingo Santana would be traded. That doesn’t mean they didn’t try but I think the Brewers just believe this stuff always has a way of working itself out (injuries, underperforming, etc).

Posted: February 22, 2021, 2:26 PM Post
PeaveyFury said:
brewers888 said:

Like who?

I would like to see Stearns make a blockbuster offer to the A's for Matt Chapman.

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next  [ 162 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply