LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next  [ 157 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Ryan Braun

Offline  Re: Ryan Braun

Posted: May 12, 2021, 7:21 AM Post
Pity the league and union couldn't figure out the universal DH this season, I think Braun would be that much more receptive to playing if all he had to do was show up and hit.

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

Posted: May 12, 2021, 7:23 AM Post
Didn’t the Brewers already ask him once? Sometime later in spring training?

Posted: May 12, 2021, 9:33 AM Post
Global Moderator
Has their been anything from Braun's camp suggesting that he'd even entertain an offer to come back? At this point, everyone seems to be assuming he's waiting for later in the season. Why? At some point, don't we just have to acknowledge that the odds are that he's actually retired?

Posted: May 12, 2021, 9:50 AM Post
PeaveyFury said:
Has their been anything from Braun's camp suggesting that he'd even entertain an offer to come back? At this point, everyone seems to be assuming he's waiting for later in the season. Why? At some point, don't we just have to acknowledge that the odds are that he's actually retired?

I was talking to Ryan Braun at spring training one time and I can't remember what lead to him saying it but he told me that he wasn't really a baseball fan which made me kind of sad. I told my wife I doubted he was going to stick around past the contract as he was already filthy rich. I was also probably near 40 and for the first time I realized that a lot of these guys are there because they happen to be good at baseball as oppose to love it like I did.

Posted: May 12, 2021, 9:55 AM Post
PeaveyFury said:

He or the team made some comment about it in like January when he didn't officially retire, but obviously wasn't signing to be ready for spring training.

Posted: May 12, 2021, 10:54 AM Post
Global Moderator
MrTPlush said:
PeaveyFury said:

He or the team made some comment about it in like January when he didn't officially retire, but obviously wasn't signing to be ready for spring training.

I think if that's what we were basing this on, and if I recall correctly, wasn't a lot of that sort of 'never say never' or 'we'll see what the next few months brings?' With literally no news recently, I think the assumption should be that Braun is retired retired, not COVID retired.

Posted: May 12, 2021, 11:09 AM Post
Dean Machine said:
PeaveyFury said:

I was talking to Ryan Braun at spring training one time and I can't remember what lead to him saying it but he told me that he wasn't really a baseball fan which made me kind of sad. I told my wife I doubted he was going to stick around past the contract as he was already filthy rich. I was also probably near 40 and for the first time I realized that a lot of these guys are there because they happen to be good at baseball as oppose to love it like I did.

I think this occurs because it becomes a job for these guys. For us, it is entertainment. For them, it is a lot of hard work to be where they are and to stay where they are. I'd bet that there is a sense of enjoyment out of the relieving stress and pressure Braun had during his career.

That being said, we are headed towards 50% capacity. A bit more and it might be curtain call time for Braunie!

Posted: May 12, 2021, 11:15 AM Post
PeaveyFury said:
MrTPlush said:
PeaveyFury said:

I think if that's what we were basing this on, and if I recall correctly, wasn't a lot of that sort of 'never say never' or 'we'll see what the next few months brings?' With literally no news recently, I think the assumption should be that Braun is retired retired, not COVID retired.

I guess it all depends on how one wants to take it. I think he is retired for good, but I have thought he would 100% retire and run off into the sunset once 2020 was done. Can't blame him.

Posted: May 12, 2021, 8:05 PM Post
PeaveyFury said:

Yeah. Kind of a shame. Would have loved him to get that one last run in front of the fans...

Not to mention he'd have been a decent option as a platoon partner for Shaw, given his career OPS of .980ish against southpaws...

Posted: May 12, 2021, 8:09 PM Post
Global Moderator
clancyphile said:
PeaveyFury said:

Yeah. Kind of a shame. Would have loved him to get that one last run in front of the fans...

Not to mention he'd have been a decent option as a platoon partner for Shaw, given his career OPS of .980ish against southpaws...

This is just like a running gag at this point, right?

Posted: May 12, 2021, 8:17 PM Post
I'm 100% under the assumption that Clancy has just been trolling us for 18 years.

Posted: May 12, 2021, 9:36 PM Post
Global Moderator
PeaveyFury said:

Did Braun ever actually say he was retired? I'm guessing one of two things will happen:
1) He is going to wait to join the Brewers in the second half of the season to limit wear and tear on his body and help push for another playoff run.

2) Wait until the fans are back fully (or close) and make one last appearance to do a proper last AB and goodbye. And play 3B for an inning just for Clancy...

Posted: May 12, 2021, 9:42 PM Post
CheezWizHed said:
PeaveyFury said:

Did Braun ever actually say he was retired? I'm guessing one of two things will happen:
1) He is going to wait to join the Brewers in the second half of the season to limit wear and tear on his body and help push for another playoff run.

2) Wait until the fans are back fully (or close) and make one last appearance to do a proper last AB and goodbye. And play 3B for an inning just for Clancy...

McCalvy I'm guessing would know better than us, he says Braun is done. IMO he's done.

Posted: May 13, 2021, 5:00 AM Post
He’s done until he’s not. Anyone that leaves a window open for return has not closed the door mentally. I don’t think there’s a strong chance of return like originally I did but if the situation is right, I could still see a swan song finish.

Posted: May 13, 2021, 5:20 AM Post
Brew4U said:
He’s done until he’s not. Anyone that leaves a window open for return has not closed the door mentally. I don’t think there’s a strong chance of return like originally I did but if the situation is right, I could still see a swan song finish.

I remember a certain Packers QB being “done” multiple times. Guys change their minds. We shall see.

Posted: May 13, 2021, 6:09 AM Post
He has a family and has zero interest to come back...not even for the Olympics. The guy is done. If he ever did try to come back in 2022 I bet he would prefer to go play for one of the LA teams or not at all. Doubt he wants to come to Milwaukee and have to move his entire family or leave them during the season.

I applaud the guy for being a good spirit and putting in the effort to the end. You could tell he worked hard every year despite injuries and other hardships in his career. Braun doesn't really come off as someone who would even want to be lazy, take half the year off, and then com try to play. Time to enjoy retirement and time with his family. Hopefully he will stay involved with the team for decades to come.

Posted: May 13, 2021, 8:44 AM Post
ThisIsMyCrew said:
Brew4U said:

I remember a certain Packers QB being “done” multiple times. Guys change their minds. We shall see.

Having Favre here all those years does always leave doubt in my mind. I remember he was on Letterman so many years ago and was asked why the retirement papers were not in and he gave a grin said he didn't sign it and I knew right then he would be back. If Braun is retired then he can let us know, until then there will be people rightfully asking when he will be back.

Posted: May 13, 2021, 8:58 AM Post
He's probably hoping SD or LA have some injury issues late in this season too. Heck, if those teams were smart, they'd add him to their rosters late for a bench bat if he wanted.

Posted: May 17, 2021, 10:18 AM Post

The Weatherman
Global Moderator
I’d rather trade for Nelson Cruz who I know for a fact can still hit MLB pitching.

Posted: May 17, 2021, 10:32 AM Post
Global Moderator
Saw this little Braun nugget over at MLBTR...

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/05/ ... azier.html

Notably, Bill Shaikin of the L.A. Times reported this week that Team USA also reached out to Ryan Braun about a possible match. Braun, who has also received interest from Team Israel, tells Shaikin that suiting back up for any team “doesn’t make sense for me,” adding that he “couldn’t imagine being happier or enjoying life more” than he is right now while spending time with his family.

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next  [ 157 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply