LambeauLeap1250 WSSP


  
Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  [ 157 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Ryan Braun

Author Message
Offline  Re: Ryan Braun
Posted: June 25, 2021, 6:10 PM Post
Posts: 26360
There isn't any info. I think people are inventing a comeback story where one doesn't exist.


 Top
 
Online  Re: Ryan Braun
Posted: June 25, 2021, 8:10 PM Post
Posts: 16141
Everything Braun has said makes the odds he is coming back this year (or ever) pretty much 0%. It is possible they don’t really even care to bring him back in August. What exactly would be the projection for a 37 year old injury prone OFer who sat out most of the year? Oh wait, he would play 1B, a position he has hardly seen in his career and brobably hasn’t practiced in forever. At some point I bet the Brewers would rather go acquire a player actually hitting baseballs in 2021 and has actually produced.

Looks like Braun is happy as ever spending time with family and relaxing in Malibu watching over the ocean. Can’t blame him, I would do the same after the rocky up and down career he had.


 Top
 
Offline  Re: Ryan Braun
Posted: June 25, 2021, 8:26 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 17234
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Sounds like people are inventing their own retirement stories. He’s back. 100% he plays and is a World Series mvp this season.


 Top
 
Offline  Re: Ryan Braun
Posted: June 25, 2021, 8:31 PM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 4274
Brew4U said:
Sounds like people are inventing their own retirement stories. He’s back. 100% he plays and is a World Series mvp this season.


...as a San Diego Padre.


 Top
 
Offline  Re: Ryan Braun
Posted: June 25, 2021, 8:38 PM Post
Posts: 3056
MrTPlush said:
Everything Braun has said makes the odds he is coming back this year (or ever) pretty much 0%. It is possible they don’t really even care to bring him back in August. What exactly would be the projection for a 37 year old injury prone OFer who sat out most of the year? Oh wait, he would play 1B, a position he has hardly seen in his career and brobably hasn’t practiced in forever. At some point I bet the Brewers would rather go acquire a player actually hitting baseballs in 2021 and has actually produced.

Looks like Braun is happy as ever spending time with family and relaxing in Malibu watching over the ocean. Can’t blame him, I would do the same after the rocky up and down career he had.



Up and down career? How about the best hitter the Brewers have ever had….


 Top
 
Offline  Re: Ryan Braun
Posted: June 25, 2021, 8:46 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 7075
Location: Phoenix, AZ
rickh150 said:


Up and down career? How about the best hitter the Brewers have ever had….


Not even close to Molitor.


 Top
 
Offline  Re: Ryan Braun
Posted: June 25, 2021, 9:03 PM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 4274
nate82 said:
rickh150 said:

Up and down career? How about the best hitter the Brewers have ever had….


Not even close to Molitor.


Braun had 7,340 PAs with a 135 wRC+ / 134 OPS+ good for 311.7 / 316 batting runs by FanGraphs / BRef.

Molitor had 8,443 PAs with a 125 wRC+ / 122 OPS+ good for 250.8 / 269 batting runs by FanGraphs / BRef.

Molitor got hits very slightly more adjusted for era with a 116 AVG+ vs 113 for Braun while striking out significantly less (77 K%+ for Molly vs 97 for Braun) & walking a bit more (104 BB%+ vs 93), so I can buy that Paul was a better pure hitter, to say nothing of the juice, but Braun's power production puts him over the top for overall production with a 150 ISO+ vs only 104 for Molitor accounting for Braun's 10-12 percent edge in wRC+ / OPS+, which allowed him to produce greater value in over 1,000 fewer PAs.


 Top
 
Offline  Re: Ryan Braun
Posted: June 25, 2021, 9:07 PM Post
Posts: 3056
adambr2 said:
There isn't any info. I think people are inventing a comeback story where one doesn't exist.


It goes both ways, right? When not enough info is there for retired or not retired, there can be some dialogue on possibilities or probabilities that he comes back.


 Top
 
Offline  Re: Ryan Braun
Posted: June 25, 2021, 9:10 PM Post
Posts: 3056
And while we are talking about him, why not just retire his number on the day he comes back in 2021 (or if not the first home game of our possible NLDS). He won’t get a statue, but his number should be retired.


 Top
 
Offline  Re: Ryan Braun
Posted: June 25, 2021, 9:11 PM Post
Posts: 3056
Brew4U said:
Sounds like people are inventing their own retirement stories. He’s back. 100% he plays and is a World Series mvp this season.


Then he gets his statue.


 Top
 
Offline  Re: Ryan Braun
Posted: June 25, 2021, 10:46 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 10692
It would be nice to see him help this team to win a WS


 Top
 
Online  Re: Ryan Braun
Posted: June 26, 2021, 4:37 AM Post
Posts: 16141
rickh150 said:
MrTPlush said:
Everything Braun has said makes the odds he is coming back this year (or ever) pretty much 0%. It is possible they don’t really even care to bring him back in August. What exactly would be the projection for a 37 year old injury prone OFer who sat out most of the year? Oh wait, he would play 1B, a position he has hardly seen in his career and brobably hasn’t practiced in forever. At some point I bet the Brewers would rather go acquire a player actually hitting baseballs in 2021 and has actually produced.

Looks like Braun is happy as ever spending time with family and relaxing in Malibu watching over the ocean. Can’t blame him, I would do the same after the rocky up and down career he had.



Up and down career? How about the best hitter the Brewers have ever had….


Okay and…? That doesn’t change the fact he went down hill before he hit 30 or the fact he had one of the worst cheating scandals the sport has ever had (his MVP season to boot) or was suspended or had a thumb injury that really derailed his career. It was an up and down career. The fact our history is short and pathetic that Ryan Braun is the best hitter we have ever had doesn’t change the accuracy of my comment. Good….but it was rocky.

Best hitter we have ever had, but I’d care more about what a 37 year old Braun can do. Not what he did a decade ago with or without gummy bears.


 Top
 
Offline  Re: Ryan Braun
Posted: June 26, 2021, 9:12 AM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 11878
rickh150 said:
adambr2 said:
There isn't any info. I think people are inventing a comeback story where one doesn't exist.


It goes both ways, right? When not enough info is there for retired or not retired, there can be some dialogue on possibilities or probabilities that he comes back.


But there IS more info to suggest no comeback. The Brewers flat out said this week that they’re not talking to him. What about that suggests anything other than it isn’t likely to happen?


 Top
 
Online  Re: Ryan Braun
Posted: June 26, 2021, 9:57 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 13316
It sometimes feels like people just want to argue about every subject ever brought up.

I often wonder if people who argue the most even believe what they aree arguing about, but instead, just take the opposite view of others on purpose.

Not just this thread, all threads, all subjects...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS


 Top
 
Offline  Re: Ryan Braun
Posted: June 26, 2021, 10:04 AM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 11878
turborickey said:
It sometimes feels like people just want to argue about every subject ever brought up.

I often wonder if people who argue the most even believe what they aree arguing about, but instead, just take the opposite view of others on purpose.

Not just this thread, all threads, all subjects...


Isn’t that ther basic concept behind discussion on a message board? Perhaps it’s because in this case there’s a definite reason to debate it?


 Top
 
Offline  Re: Ryan Braun
Posted: June 26, 2021, 10:37 AM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 7944
I have no clue if Braun is interested in coming back, but if he is, he might help - even a little. Play some 1B, some LF, some DH, PH.

I would think he could be okay. Even league average would be helpful on this club.

Last year's numbers were not good, but the limited season messed up a lot of season's. His 2019 stats were solid. If you could get that kind of production from him, you're gold.

You'd certainly want to work him out - make sure he seems capable.

I'm not holding my breath about it all.


 Top
 
Offline  Re: Ryan Braun
Posted: June 26, 2021, 5:00 PM Post
Posts: 3056
PeaveyFury said:
rickh150 said:
adambr2 said:
There isn't any info. I think people are inventing a comeback story where one doesn't exist.


It goes both ways, right? When not enough info is there for retired or not retired, there can be some dialogue on possibilities or probabilities that he comes back.


But there IS more info to suggest no comeback. The Brewers flat out said this week that they’re not talking to him. What about that suggests anything other than it isn’t likely to happen?


He is not retired, still working out, still relatively young, likes Milwaukee….. most should view him as an upgrade off the bench or at 1B on a weak hitting team. For as much as you want to make this a non issue, it is what it is right now- a possible move for Braun/Brewers. I feel it is likely to happen because of a lot of factors coming together- competitive team, short stretch drive season for a veteran, a great comeback with a huge ovation waiting, a team with hitting needs at 1B or bench.
Maybe it won’t happen, but hey this is a fan forum and opinion stuff like this is par for the course.


 Top
 
Offline  Re: Ryan Braun
Posted: June 26, 2021, 5:03 PM Post
Posts: 3056
MrTPlush said:
rickh150 said:
MrTPlush said:
Everything Braun has said makes the odds he is coming back this year (or ever) pretty much 0%. It is possible they don’t really even care to bring him back in August. What exactly would be the projection for a 37 year old injury prone OFer who sat out most of the year? Oh wait, he would play 1B, a position he has hardly seen in his career and brobably hasn’t practiced in forever. At some point I bet the Brewers would rather go acquire a player actually hitting baseballs in 2021 and has actually produced.

Looks like Braun is happy as ever spending time with family and relaxing in Malibu watching over the ocean. Can’t blame him, I would do the same after the rocky up and down career he had.



Up and down career? How about the best hitter the Brewers have ever had….


Okay and…? That doesn’t change the fact he went down hill before he hit 30 or the fact he had one of the worst cheating scandals the sport has ever had (his MVP season to boot) or was suspended or had a thumb injury that really derailed his career. It was an up and down career. The fact our history is short and pathetic that Ryan Braun is the best hitter we have ever had doesn’t change the accuracy of my comment. Good….but it was rocky.

Best hitter we have ever had, but I’d care more about what a 37 year old Braun can do. Not what he did a decade ago with or without gummy bears.


He could be bad and be an upgrade.


 Top
 
Offline  Re: Ryan Braun
Posted: June 26, 2021, 7:13 PM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 11878
rickh150 said:
For as much as you want to make this a non issue, it is what it is right now- a possible move for Braun/Brewers.


I guess the disconnect here seems to be that I view 'what it is right now' as an unlikely move. Possible? Sure, I suppose that's fair. But likely? Absolutely not, not until we hear either a definitive 'I'm interested in playing in 2021'-type statement from the Braun camp, or that the Brewers are actively trying to lure him back. Beyond that, and again, IMO, it's just the typical Trade Rumors forum thread that rarely comes to fruition.


 Top
 
Offline  Re: Ryan Braun
Posted: June 26, 2021, 8:57 PM Post
Posts: 257
sveumrules said:
nate82 said:
rickh150 said:

Up and down career? How about the best hitter the Brewers have ever had….


Not even close to Molitor.


Braun had 7,340 PAs with a 135 wRC+ / 134 OPS+ good for 311.7 / 316 batting runs by FanGraphs / BRef.

Molitor had 8,443 PAs with a 125 wRC+ / 122 OPS+ good for 250.8 / 269 batting runs by FanGraphs / BRef.

Molitor got hits very slightly more adjusted for era with a 116 AVG+ vs 113 for Braun while striking out significantly less (77 K%+ for Molly vs 97 for Braun) & walking a bit more (104 BB%+ vs 93), so I can buy that Paul was a better pure hitter, to say nothing of the juice, but Braun's power production puts him over the top for overall production with a 150 ISO+ vs only 104 for Molitor accounting for Braun's 10-12 percent edge in wRC+ / OPS+, which allowed him to produce greater value in over 1,000 fewer PAs.


It's a little sad that baserunning is overlooked these days.

I don't dispute the power disparity, but Molitor was widely regarded as one of, if not the best, base runners (as opposed to base stealers, although he was no slouch) of his time. At the time, a great leadoff hitter was a prized asset and, had it not been for Rickey Henderson, he might have been considered the best leadoff hitter in the game. By Braun's time, the focus had already shifted much more towards power. My point is that it's hard to compare players from different eras because of the way that the game has changed.

"Don't force him to choose between Chris Smalling and Phil Jones. It's like asking someone to choose between which STD to contract!"


 Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  [ 157 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
  


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search this forum (phpBB search):
Jump to:  
Search entire board (Google search):
Google
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Test