LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  [ 157 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Ryan Braun

Offline  Re: Ryan Braun
Posted: June 26, 2021, 9:27 PM Post
Braun could’ve stole 100 bags a season if he wanted. He was too busy circling them all at once though.

Online  Re: Ryan Braun
Posted: June 27, 2021, 9:04 AM Post
Global Moderator
anglotiger said:
sveumrules said:
Braun had 7,340 PAs with a 135 wRC+ / 134 OPS+ good for 311.7 / 316 batting runs by FanGraphs / BRef.

Molitor had 8,443 PAs with a 125 wRC+ / 122 OPS+ good for 250.8 / 269 batting runs by FanGraphs / BRef.

Molitor got hits very slightly more adjusted for era with a 116 AVG+ vs 113 for Braun while striking out significantly less (77 K%+ for Molly vs 97 for Braun) & walking a bit more (104 BB%+ vs 93), so I can buy that Paul was a better pure hitter, to say nothing of the juice, but Braun's power production puts him over the top for overall production with a 150 ISO+ vs only 104 for Molitor accounting for Braun's 10-12 percent edge in wRC+ / OPS+, which allowed him to produce greater value in over 1,000 fewer PAs.

It's a little sad that baserunning is overlooked these days.

I don't dispute the power disparity, but Molitor was widely regarded as one of, if not the best, base runners (as opposed to base stealers, although he was no slouch) of his time. At the time, a great leadoff hitter was a prized asset and, had it not been for Rickey Henderson, he might have been considered the best leadoff hitter in the game. By Braun's time, the focus had already shifted much more towards power. My point is that it's hard to compare players from different eras because of the way that the game has changed.

BRef has Molly +57 on the bases with the Brewers compared to +24 for Braun, so the base running closes the gap somewhat, but Braun still comes out with a greater total offensive contribution.

Posted: July 20, 2021, 3:06 PM Post
Even looking at the best case trade candidates (Donaldson, Escobar, Gallo...(I think Jose Ramirez, Bryant, Story, and Rizzo are out of the question)), I would rather have Ryan Braun than those guys. It just makes too much sense.

Posted: July 20, 2021, 3:24 PM Post
Oxy said:
Even looking at the best case trade candidates (Donaldson, Escobar, Gallo...(I think Jose Ramirez, Bryant, Story, and Rizzo are out of the question)), I would rather have Ryan Braun than those guys. It just makes too much sense.

I’m guessing you are taking into consideration the cost of acquiring into that…because Donaldson/Gallo are way better than what Braun would likely provide and Escobar is maybe around the same vicinity of what one would hope to get from Braun. The only positive to Braun is the fact he wouldn’t cost much.

The calendar is closing in on August. Pulling a guy off the streets just doesn’t make “too much sense” in my mind. Pulling a 36 year old out of retirement to go play string training on the MLB roster in the thick of the pennant race seems like a cool story and not exactly great results.

Posted: July 20, 2021, 3:29 PM Post
MrTPlush said:
Oxy said:

I’m guessing you are taking into consideration the cost of acquiring into that…because Donaldson/Gallo are way better than what Braun would likely provide and Escobar is maybe around the same vicinity of what one would hope to get from Braun. The only positive to Braun is the fact he wouldn’t cost much.

The calendar is closing in on August. Pulling a guy off the streets just doesn’t make “too much sense” in my mind. Pulling a 36 year old out of retirement to go play string training on the MLB roster in the thick of the pennant race seems like a cool story and not exactly great results.

Correct...All things considered I'd rather have Braun--assuming he ramps up in Arizona for a couple weeks and doesn't look terrible. But still...coming down the stretch and/or in the playoffs you are telling me you'd rather see Eduardo Escobar in the on deck circle than Ryan Braun (at least if a lefty is on the mound [tongue] )?

Posted: July 20, 2021, 3:43 PM Post
We are not getting Gallo, too many other teams attached to him in MLB rumors articles.

We are probably in the Cron sweepstakes, that is our skillset when it comes to deadline deals and free agent signings.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Posted: July 21, 2021, 8:02 AM Post
turborickey said:
We are not getting Gallo, too many other teams attached to him in MLB rumors articles.

We are probably in the Cron sweepstakes, that is our skillset when it comes to deadline deals and free agent signings.

Why on Earth would they want Cron? His OPS at Coors Field is .955. His OPS at all the other stadiums is .682. The Brewers would be better if mixing and matching Tellez, Peterson, Hiura and Vogelbach than acquiring CJ Cron to play first base.

Posted: July 21, 2021, 8:08 AM Post
Jopal78! said:
turborickey said:

Why on Earth would they want Cron? His OPS at Coors Field is .955. His OPS at all the other stadiums is .682. The Brewers would be better if mixing and matching Tellez, Peterson, Hiura and Vogelbach than acquiring CJ Cron to play first base.

Cron's OPS by season prior to Colorado: .739, .739, .792, .741, .816, .780, .894 His HR totals: 11, 16, 16, 16, 30, 25, 4. Playing half your games in Coors messes you up when you go on the road. Cron has a career .829 OPS vs. LHP. The vast majority of that was not playing in Coors.

Posted: July 21, 2021, 8:31 AM Post
JohnBriggs12 said:
Jopal78! said:
turborickey said:

Cron's OPS by season prior to Colorado: .739, .739, .792, .741, .816, .780, .894 His HR totals: 11, 16, 16, 16, 30, 25, 4. Playing half your games in Coors messes you up when you go on the road. Cron has a career .829 OPS vs. LHP. The vast majority of that was not playing in Coors.

The .894 in 2020 was in 13 games. Besides that he’s been above .800 once in his career. We’re all starved for offense around here but Cron is a league average bat at his best; which is why he is a journeyman player.

He might provide an incremental improvement, but then again he will cost talent to acquire. Colorado just isn’t going to release him.

Posted: July 21, 2021, 11:43 AM Post
Jopal78! said:
turborickey said:

I'm not saying I want to go out and get Cron, I am saying that is the kind of guy we will end up with.

Watch and see...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Posted: July 22, 2021, 8:58 AM Post
Guys....there's no way that Braun was only in town this week to go to Game 6 of the NBA Finals, right??? Gotta be something else going on here behind the scenes.

Posted: July 22, 2021, 9:01 AM Post
Global Moderator
madtownhawk said:
Guys....there's no way that Braun was only in town this week to go to Game 6 of the NBA Finals, right??? Gotta be something else going on here behind the scenes.

I mean, he could just have been here to watch the Bucks win a title. If it was a random game a month ago, maybe I'd think there was more to it.

Posted: July 22, 2021, 12:57 PM Post
The Dodgers have picked up a lot of the Brewers cast off this season. Book it Braun to Dodgers thread over!

Posted: July 22, 2021, 1:37 PM Post
madtownhawk said:

I'm pretty convinced that's all it was. Heck, I had a friend come in from out of state for the day just to say he was on Wisconsin soil when the Bucks won a championship.

Posted: July 23, 2021, 5:13 AM Post
If Braun was to come back, he'd need a few weeks in the minors first. That'd take us past the deadline, so if he plays like a 37 year old with little 1B experience who in his last season was right about a league-average hitter and now hasn't played for almost year... then it'll be too late to trade for anyone. Which is why, even if the team believed Braun could make an impact and Braun did want to come back (And I don't think either of those things are true) it makes little sense. Or at least it wouldn't be instead of a trade for a hitter, but in addition to. I just don't see the benefits of it, either you believe that the law firm of Hiura, Vogelbach & Tellez can be adequate at 1B and stick with them, or you go out and get someone who is clearly an upgrade.

Posted: August 09, 2021, 1:37 PM Post
Any day Bruanny. Let's do this!

Posted: August 09, 2021, 9:48 PM Post
The OF is quite full, and Tellez has taken over the 1B job. It is over.

Posted: August 10, 2021, 6:33 AM Post
A Braunny in the dugout during the playoff run could never hurt. But yah, he'd just take up a space from a relief pitcher.

Posted: August 10, 2021, 7:43 AM Post
Maybe if September rosters were still at 40 they could make room in September and see what happens. With only 28 now, I just can't see it.

Posted: August 10, 2021, 9:05 AM Post
That's so cool that Braunie came for the Bucks game. Love the loyalty and allegiance to Milwaukee. I would love to see him come back but it is seemingly late now.

Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  [ 157 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply