LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 32 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Ryan Braun

Offline  Re: Ryan Braun

Posted: March 05, 2021, 10:58 AM Post
I think they can put together a pretty nice lineup against lefties. Based on the past three years vs. lefties, Hiura is actually the guy that would be in there with the worst stats, but I highly suspect those numbers will improve moving forward, giving them another very strong bat against LHP.

2018-20 vs. LHP:

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 05, 2021, 11:20 AM Post
I would have to think that a July or whenever Braun addition would be driven by one of two things, either massive injury or severe under-performance.

By under-performance I meant by those in OF/PH roles. I suppose a really long shot would be team under-performance and they bring him back for an '86 Gorman style last hurrah.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 05, 2021, 12:04 PM Post
Only way Braun comes back is if Keston really struggles or there is a major injury.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 05, 2021, 12:10 PM Post
RollieTime said:
The Brewers also lack right handed pop in their lineup. Who outside of Hiura can you bank on to even hit 10 home runs? Cain and Pina might reach that, but outside of them, it’s just not going to happen. Especially if you’re facing a team like the Dodgers in the playoffs with their abundance of tough lefties.

Braun would be a nice late season addition down the stretch and into the postseason.

Even if they bring him in he won't be a main starter, so that won't really solve your lack of RH power in the line up because he will rarely be in the lineup. Would it give us more pop on the bench? There it would.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 05, 2021, 12:27 PM Post
MrTPlush said:
Really it comes down to what would actually be a good use of our last roster spot. Is Ryan Braun really the best use of it? Somewhat unknown as it is hard to predict what will happen to the roster between now and then. To me just saying right now we would bring him back open arms doesn't make a lot of sense...we don't even know how our current players will look by then or other potential options in July.

With Braun you would basically bring him for one main reason, hitting against LHP...and it would likely be in mostly a bench role. Is that what we need or could we use something more out of our 26th man? Again, that could be a pretty nice acquisition in July...or maybe not the best use of a roster spot.

There's an aggregate level of talent on each baseball team. Historically, the teams with the most aggregate talent are those who make the playoffs and advance in the playoffs.

If there was a player who would without a doubt increase the aggregate talent level of the Brewers, who was not only willing to sign with Milwaukee in July, but on a short term contract, why wouldn't they take him? He pinch hits every night, starts against tough left handers, and in those day games following night games were the manager seemingly likes to rest his regulars.

It's not as though there some extraordinary unlocked potential in the players likely competing for that 26th roster spot: Derek Fisher, Billy McKinney, Tyrone Taylor, Mark Mathias, etc.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 05, 2021, 12:32 PM Post
To me it seemingly comes down to it Vogelbach is on the team. I think the bench can afford to carry one guy without positional flexibility to be just a pure bench bat, but assuming we carry 14 pitchers most of the season I'm not sure our bench can afford two guys who would basically never start

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 05, 2021, 1:57 PM Post
In 2018, our most successful season, we had a bench of guys like Nate Orf, Brett Phillips, and (bad) Brad Miller taking at bats in late July.

If Braun wants to come back in July, you let him comeback in July.

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 05, 2021, 2:18 PM Post
Poor offensive players are going to have ABs...why? Because you need bench guys who can play SS/CF/2B. Part of the reason benches are so bad is because they are made up of versatile guys who can play premium positions when needed. If those guys actually hit at an above average clip they wouldn't be on someone's bench.

It doesn't help we will already have Daniel Vogelbach, who is a one position dead weight when it comes to playing in the field. I think we could have Braun and Vogelbach on the team just fine...but it certainly requires a bit more position flexibility among the other bench players. Though it could make late game PHs etc. tougher if we are limited on versatile bench guys.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 05, 2021, 2:21 PM Post
I’m not sure we should assume Vogelbach will be on the team.

He very well may be but I don’t see it as a given.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 05, 2021, 2:25 PM Post
markedman5 said:
I’m not sure we should assume Vogelbach will be on the team.

He very well may be but I don’t see it as a given.

They could drop him, but with a 26th man roster he is a pretty nice LHB to have off the bench. I am not a huge Vogelbach fan, but he is dirt cheap. If you don't want him at some point it would be pretty easy to just drop him.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 27, 2021, 6:29 PM Post

Tom Petty Apologist
Just wanted to drop in and say I ran into Braun while out on a hike in Malibu (I’m just on a short vacation). We did not talk about his plans on playing this season. Being a Brewer fan, I suspect he doesn’t get recognized too often out here.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 28, 2021, 6:53 AM Post
MVP2110 said:
To me it seemingly comes down to it Vogelbach is on the team. I think the bench can afford to carry one guy without positional flexibility to be just a pure bench bat, but assuming we carry 14 pitchers most of the season I'm not sure our bench can afford two guys who would basically never start

"Never start"? Vogelbach certainly would be in the lineup against RHP in AL parks. Hiura won't be given days off? Heck Yelich gets a half dozen days off. Then there's Wong. He's never played more than 150 games and even in that year (2015), he didn't start all 150. Hiura got some time back at 2B this week in Arizona. Counsell will have no trouble finding Vogelbach a bare minimum of a start a week.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 32 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply