LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  [ 43 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Trevor Story (or other SS targets?)

Online  Re: Trevor Story (or other SS targets?)

Posted: April 02, 2021, 9:40 PM Post
What were we offering for Machado in '18? I want to say that we wouldn't offer a better prospect than Luis Ortiz and the Os wanted Woodruff or Burnes.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Trevor Story (or other SS targets?)

Posted: April 02, 2021, 9:51 PM Post
Global Moderator
adambr2 said:
What were we offering for Machado in '18? I want to say that we wouldn't offer a better prospect than Luis Ortiz and the Os wanted Woodruff or Burnes.

The Rosenthal report at the time was the Orioles wanted Corbin Burnes and the Brewers were offering Brett Phillips and Luis Ortiz. While that sounds like an incredibly large gulf now, at the time Phillips and Ortiz were the Brewers 4th and 5th ranked prospects according to MLB.com.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 03, 2021, 5:24 AM Post
I think trading for an expensive rental only makes sense in a few very lmited scenarios, like if the Brewers somehow look like genuine WS contenders at the deadline but SS is a black hole. And even then I'd be very wary of including the very top prospects in an already thin system. As far as trades go, I would only really give up top prospects for long-term trades. Yelich obviously springs to mind, Chris Sale is another one. They can also go wrong (Shelby Miller for example), but it's a much sounder strategy overall. There are always cheap rentals at the deadline who will improve the team for much less.

Let's see what a healthy Urias can do, I'm encouraged by his improvement throughout ST (As well as his minors pedigree). I for one believe we'll see league average or better production from SS, and any trade talk will be focused on other parts of the team.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 03, 2021, 6:14 AM Post
Global Moderator
Article on next offseason’s shortstop class from MLB.com’s Mike Petriello, How Lindor's deal shakes up '21 SS class

He makes predictions on each player including the following:

Story: Gets traded to the Brewers in July because the Brewers will want an upgrade at the Deadline and the Rockies will be sellers ... then signs with Rangers in the offseason.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 03, 2021, 5:35 PM Post
I think it was a Rangers beat writer on the Baseball Tonight podcast (when discussing the Rangers outlook/ plans) that noted Trevor Story is from the Dallas/ Fort worth area & the Rangers are very interested in attracting 1 of the SS free agents (mostly Story) after the 2021 season..

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 03, 2021, 5:43 PM Post
In all seriousness, I feel that Houston has screwed up their extension chance with Carlos Correa & they might prefer moving Bregman back to SS..

Correa might be a good guy to target and move over to 3B (to help him stay healthy & productive) moving forward...

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 05, 2021, 10:05 AM Post
MadThinker88 said:
Correa might be a good guy to target and move over to 3B (to help him stay healthy & productive) moving forward...

This guy is just a huge...fill in the blank. I would not enjoy rooting for him in Milwaukee regardless of how well he did for the team.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 05, 2021, 10:37 AM Post
I've never heard Correa is a jerk before.
Seriously, this is the first time I have heard that?
What has he done?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 05, 2021, 10:59 AM Post
Hopper said:
What has he done?

Probably referring to being a part of the cheating Astros squad and defending what they did.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Trevor Story (or other SS targets? ).

Posted: April 06, 2021, 2:06 AM Post
Eye Black said:
jerichoholicninja said:
No need to discus this as the Rockies will be 10 games back and under .500 at the deadline but make zero moves because that franchise is a rudderless ship.

I listened to an interview with a Rockies beat reporter (Nick Groke), and he talked about how the Rockies don’t act in-line with what’s generally considered rational by the consensus. He said after taking an absolute beating over the Arenado trade (in which case Nolan was requesting to be traded), he doesn’t think the owner, Dick Monfort (who he said fancies himself a GM), would be willing to trade Story even if it’s the obviously smart thing to do for the franchise. He was of the opinion it would need to be an extreme overpay in order for the Rockies not to just ride with Story right until the bitter end.

Groke also said the Rockies don’t typically make many trades. The Brewers and Rockies haven’t made a trade together since 2004.

So pretty much how the Brewers were run from the time Bud became commish and Attanasio bought the team?

When Wendy was running the franchise. That was miserable...I feel for Rockies fans.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Trevor Story (or other SS targets? ).

Posted: April 06, 2021, 1:18 PM Post
HiAndTight said:
Eye Black said:
jerichoholicninja said:
No need to discus this as the Rockies will be 10 games back and under .500 at the deadline but make zero moves because that franchise is a rudderless ship.

I listened to an interview with a Rockies beat reporter (Nick Groke), and he talked about how the Rockies don’t act in-line with what’s generally considered rational by the consensus. He said after taking an absolute beating over the Arenado trade (in which case Nolan was requesting to be traded), he doesn’t think the owner, Dick Monfort (who he said fancies himself a GM), would be willing to trade Story even if it’s the obviously smart thing to do for the franchise. He was of the opinion it would need to be an extreme overpay in order for the Rockies not to just ride with Story right until the bitter end.

Groke also said the Rockies don’t typically make many trades. The Brewers and Rockies haven’t made a trade together since 2004.

So pretty much how the Brewers were run from the time Bud became commish and Attanasio bought the team?

When Wendy was running the franchise. That was miserable...I feel for Rockies fans.

Does anyone else still get shivers whenever Wendy is mentioned? It's like I can hear her voice in my head still. It is not a pleasant sensation.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 06, 2021, 4:45 PM Post
Hopper said:
What has he done?

Cheating scandal. Lack of responsibility for it. Chip on his shoulder like the backlash from it wasn’t deserved.

Insulted by a 6 year $120m offer from the Astros in the last month when has hit .257 with 41 HR in 1000 PAs since 2018. https://twitter.com/brianmctaggart/status/1375243303835340802?s=21

Guy just rubs me 100% the wrong way. Arcia may have been frustrating but at least you felt like he was a good teammate and tried hard. This guy seems like he’s quite unaware of who/what he is.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 07, 2021, 6:37 AM Post
Warning Track Power said:
Hopper said:
What has he done?

Cheating scandal. Lack of responsibility for it. Chip on his shoulder like the backlash from it wasn’t deserved.

Insulted by a 6 year $120m offer from the Astros in the last month when has hit .257 with 41 HR in 1000 PAs since 2018. https://twitter.com/brianmctaggart/status/1375243303835340802?s=21

Guy just rubs me 100% the wrong way. Arcia may have been frustrating but at least you felt like he was a good teammate and tried hard. This guy seems like he’s quite unaware of who/what he is.

Yeah, I feel the same way. I've never heard anything like him screaming at teammates or something like that, but there seems to be a lack of self awareness that's pretty off-putting when it comes to Correa.

He'll get paid, but he's not going to reach Tatis/Lindor territory, and I think he should be prepared to get a lot less than what Seager and Story end up with if they all make it to free agency. Baez is in that lower tier as well, but he said something the other day that makes me think he's well aware of it.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 09, 2021, 10:49 AM Post
Global Moderator
Yeah, I feel about Correa the same way a lot of people felt about the possibility of getting Machado back in 2018. I just wouldn't feel clean about rooting for the guy. I'd do it, if he happened to help the team win games, but I wouldn't feel awesome about it.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 09, 2021, 11:42 AM Post
If the Brewers are spending resources to get a SS I would prefer someone like Bogaerts over anyone else. Though I doubt the Red Sox would trade him.

I think value wise you could find better value at 1B if Hiura continues to struggle with the bat. If the Nationals are out of it either Schwarber or Bell could be available to fill 1B. I don't see Vogelbach as a viable option at 1B fulltime or either part-time really.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Trevor Story (or other SS targets?)

Posted: April 10, 2021, 7:48 AM Post
I don't know, Vogelbach doesn't seem that bad, maybe not a full time 1b , atleast he makes a pitcher work , seems to have decent eye. Not a starter but a good guy off the bench.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 12, 2021, 8:54 PM Post
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say we won't need a SS because Urias is going to be just fine.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 13, 2021, 8:36 AM Post
Global Moderator
mtsportsfan said:
I don't know, Vogelbach doesn't seem that bad, ...

So I click on the thread link about SS position and see this post first... Yes, the rest of the post was about him at 1B, but when you are thinking SS and see that statement it was worth a good laugh. [laughing]

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 14, 2021, 1:43 AM Post
CheezWizHed said:
mtsportsfan said:
I don't know, Vogelbach doesn't seem that bad, ...

So I click on the thread link about SS position and see this post first... Yes, the rest of the post was about him at 1B, but when you are thinking SS and see that statement it was worth a good laugh. [laughing]

Not sure I see the humor. Bring Braun out of retirement and you have a LOT of power out of the left side of that IF...

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 14, 2021, 2:42 AM Post
There have been a few games these last few years where the Brewers have emptied the bench for pinch hitters in the 9th inning when trailing, resulting in lacking middle infielders. Made me wish even more than usual that they'd tie the game to see just exactly what they'd do, and who would play SS in those cases.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  [ 43 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply