LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 47  Next  [ 934 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Prospective trade deadline targets?

Offline  Re: Prospective trade deadline targets?

Posted: April 22, 2021, 4:25 PM Post
Eye Black said:
adambr2 said:
I'd be shocked if they don't add at least one bullpen arm. They are well known for doing so when in contention, usually rentals. Swarzak, Soria....I might be missing some.

Drew Pomeranz (w/ Ray Black), Xavier Cedeno, and Jeremy Jeffress are some other relievers they’ve acquired in-season during the Stearns tenure.

Doh! I missed some big ones. Pomeranz was huge for us.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 22, 2021, 5:08 PM Post
This lineup is deficient long term imho. I would love Rizzo but they need 1 more impact bat I think

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 22, 2021, 5:14 PM Post
I am operating under the assumption that the Cubs wouldn't trade Rizzo to us. I know he's just a rental so they have no incentive not to but I don't think they would like the optics of that. If they put Rizzo on the block they are going to have plenty of offers from teams not in their division.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 23, 2021, 7:26 AM Post
Joey Gallo or JD Martinez if the Sox cool off

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 25, 2021, 4:15 PM Post
Eye Black said:
adambr2 said:
I'd be shocked if they don't add at least one bullpen arm. They are well known for doing so when in contention, usually rentals. Swarzak, Soria....I might be missing some.

Drew Pomeranz (w/ Ray Black), Xavier Cedeno, and Jeremy Jeffress are some other relievers they’ve acquired in-season during the Stearns tenure.

Jeffress is currently a free agent. Might not be a bad pickup.

Maybe also sign Tyler Thornburg as well.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 25, 2021, 7:54 PM Post
Jeffress as a flier...

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 25, 2021, 9:07 PM Post
I grab JJ back this was where he pitched the best. Also is Robertson still a FA ?

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Prospective trade deadline targets?

Posted: April 26, 2021, 10:49 AM Post
rickh150 said:
Jeffress as a flier...

Only if he would agree to go to the minors and prove he still has something over multiple outings. Not just go to the minors and you will get the first call up.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 26, 2021, 12:23 PM Post
Something is odd with the Jeffress situation. It just doesn't feel right.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 26, 2021, 1:20 PM Post
Brew4U said:
Something is odd with the Jeffress situation. It just doesn't feel right.

This is where it is already sideways?.... If he was on the team, I don't trust him to not implode at any point in time.

viewtopic.php?p=1344846#p1344846

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 27, 2021, 7:00 AM Post
Yep, something very strange with Jeffress. I would be very surprised if the Brewers weren’t well aware of the actual situation.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 27, 2021, 7:30 AM Post
I would honestly highly consider taking whatever you can for Hiura right now. Or if not now, very soon once the sellers have been clearly identified.

Keston still has enough shine on his prospect status and '19 season where a lot of clubs would roll the dice on him and give us something currently useful which Keston is not. But at the moment he is like a stock that has lost 40% of its value. You can cut your losses right now and salvage something, or you can wait and hope to recover, or see it completely bottom out and end up with nothing.

We don't need him to win. He could bring back help now. I hate selling low, but it could get a lot lower.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 27, 2021, 7:51 AM Post
adambr2 said:
I would honestly highly consider taking whatever you can for Hiura right now. Or if not now, very soon once the sellers have been clearly identified.

Keston still has enough shine on his prospect status and '19 season where a lot of clubs would roll the dice on him and give us something currently useful which Keston is not. But at the moment he is like a stock that has lost 40% of its value. You can cut your losses right now and salvage something, or you can wait and hope to recover, or see it completely bottom out and end up with nothing.

We don't need him to win. He could bring back help now. I hate selling low, but it could get a lot lower.

Yes, his value could certainly bottom out, but I specifically remember very similar posts advocating doing the same thing with Corbin Burnes in 2019. Now is Hiura going to accomplish a Burnes-like resurgence? Chances are likely no. But I also don't think the Brewers are the type of franchise that can risk dealing off a bat with Hiura's perceived upside unless they are absolutely convinced that he'll never achieve that upside. And if they are convinced of that, it's likely every other team in MLB is as well.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 27, 2021, 8:01 AM Post
If the Brewers trade Hiura today at best you are looking at something like a AAAA player in return. So basically a McKinney or Peterson type of a player, is that really an upgrade over Hiura?

I don't believe that is an upgrade right now and doesn't really make the team all that much better.

If the Nationals are out of it by the deadline there are two 1B options in Schwarber and Bell. Neither Bell or Schwarber should cost all that much in terms of prospects.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 27, 2021, 8:54 AM Post
Let him go to AAA and try to iron out his issues.
There is no rush, or needed timetable.
Let him be there until he is ready to come back up.
Trading him now, at the lowest possible value just wouldn't be wise.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 27, 2021, 9:12 AM Post
No way I trade Hiura now. I would send him to the ATS now, (AAA when start up) to get a reprieve. If he doesn't come up at all this year, that is fine. Let him get his stroke back.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 27, 2021, 11:10 AM Post
adambr2 said:

I take the opposite view; his value has dropped far enough that we won't get all that much in return even if we sell right now; if the Brewers are concerned enough about him to sell low, other teams will be concerned too. He's 24 with 2 option years remaining; the cost of having him work on his game in AAA is one 40-man roster spot. If we had to keep him on the 26-man roster, or paid him a high salary, I might have agreed with the logic to sell low. I'll take the risk of value dropping lower in return for knowing what he can do if he gets right. To me his main issue seems to be one of timing, which is why it appears that he has a hole in his swing. And I think that is a much more fixable issue than had it been about ball-strike recognition or bat speed or a long bat path etc.

He's 80 games removed from a 140 wRC+ debut season. Maybe he won't ever be able to adjust to the changes in how he's being pitched, or maybe he will. I just think the right value play is sticking with it, because the upside is is there *if* he makes it. We're not getting a player who can have an immediate offensive impact anyway.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 27, 2021, 11:34 AM Post
Lathund said:
adambr2 said:

I take the opposite view; his value has dropped far enough that we won't get all that much in return even if we sell right now; if the Brewers are concerned enough about him to sell low, other teams will be concerned too. He's 24 with 2 option years remaining; the cost of having him work on his game in AAA is one 40-man roster spot. If we had to keep him on the 26-man roster, or paid him a high salary, I might have agreed with the logic to sell low. I'll take the risk of value dropping lower in return for knowing what he can do if he gets right. To me his main issue seems to be one of timing, which is why it appears that he has a hole in his swing. And I think that is a much more fixable issue than had it been about ball-strike recognition or bat speed or a long bat path etc.

He's 80 games removed from a 140 wRC+ debut season. Maybe he won't ever be able to adjust to the changes in how he's being pitched, or maybe he will. I just think the right value play is sticking with it, because the upside is is there *if* he makes it. We're not getting a player who can have an immediate offensive impact anyway.

I think his value has dropped some .....but it's still fairly significant value. As you say, he's still 80 games removed from a 140 wRC+ debut season. He's 24, he's cheap and he's controlled. He was a top 15 prospect. I think there's a ton of teams that would absolutely take a chance on him and could return something of immediate impact.

At the end of the day even in his limited career there has been an enormous difference in Keston's floor and ceiling. I'm sure our own analytical guys are trying to determine which is the more permanent Keston and that should figure in to what we decide to do with him.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 27, 2021, 11:54 AM Post
adambr2 said:
Lathund said:
adambr2 said:

I think his value has dropped some .....but it's still fairly significant value. As you say, he's still 80 games removed from a 140 wRC+ debut season. He's 24, he's cheap and he's controlled. He was a top 15 prospect. I think there's a ton of teams that would absolutely take a chance on him and could return something of immediate impact.

At the end of the day even in his limited career there has been an enormous difference in Keston's floor and ceiling. I'm sure our own analytical guys are trying to determine which is the more permanent Keston and that should figure in to what we decide to do with him.

But if you take the more positive stance in that first paragraph.. why sell at all? Any "immediate impact" player will by definition have less team control or a higher salary or a lower ceiling, or a combination of all three. Or else the player wouldn't get traded for a struggling player with upside. It'd be a short-term move, trading upside and potential long-term impact for immediate help but with less upside and/or shorter time horizon. It's getting rid of a high risk/high reward type of situation for a lower risk but lower reward scenario. And I think the only way a team with the budget of the Brewers has a legit shot at a WS is by going with the upside plays and taking those risks.

ETA; With regards to the last paragraph. I think that's the key. More than anything to do with risk of losing more value etc, it should come down to whether you think his issues can be fixed or not. If yes, keep. If no, trade. Where we seem to differ is if the answer is varying shades of "maybe". I'm in the camp of keeping him until you can answer it with more certainty. Because the way I see it, I value the potential upside a lot more than the fear of missing out on a good deal and having to settle for less.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 27, 2021, 6:56 PM Post
No harm sending Keaton down work out the kinks. I wonder if they go after Robertson. I also really like to know what up With JJ some of tweets make you wonder.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 47  Next  [ 934 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply