LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47  Next  [ 934 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Prospective trade deadline targets?

Offline  Re: Prospective trade deadline targets?
Posted: July 28, 2021, 12:04 PM Post
Global Moderator
mlloyd10 said:
why does everyone want Gallo. we already have a team that can't hit for avg. Power is very nice, but we need guys that can put the ball in play.

Check out his OBP, lack of left/right disparity, defensive ability, and position flexibility.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 28, 2021, 12:07 PM Post
mlloyd10 said:
why does everyone want Gallo. we already have a team that can't hit for avg. Power is very nice, but we need guys that can put the ball in play.

Dude is a pretty complete player. Great defender at a bunch of positions. Great OBP.

Dingerzzzz are great ... but he's more than that.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 28, 2021, 12:08 PM Post
Gallo would be a great addition to the lineup, and as has been mentioned, he can play 1B, LF, CF, and RF (and very well).

2019-21:

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 28, 2021, 12:10 PM Post
And keep in mind we have 8 DH games left on our schedule to get plenty of abs for everyone

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 28, 2021, 12:11 PM Post
I'd rather have Mancini than Gallo, just due to right-handedness and I think he'd cost less prospect-wise. But I'd still be very very happy to get Gallo.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 28, 2021, 12:28 PM Post
Global Moderator
True, Gallo isn't the best at getting hits (86 AVG+) and he strikes out a ton (160 K%+), but he also walks a ton (177 BB%) and hits for a ton of power (170 ISO+) resulting in getting on base more than average (106 OBP+) and slugging more than average (120 SLG+).

Throw in positive base running (+15.3) and fielding (+37 DRS / +21.7 UZR in the OF) and Gallo has put up 13 WAR since becoming a regular in 2017, which ranks 47th in MLB over that time just below Conforto, Stanton, Rizzo & Brantley and just above Votto, Ozuna, Suarez & Starling Marte.

Brewers position players are currently 4th in walk rate, 7th in strikeout rate, 4th in base running and 4th in defensive runs saved, so I think he would fit right in.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 28, 2021, 12:35 PM Post
PeaveyFury said:
mlloyd10 said:

Check out his OBP, lack of left/right disparity, defensive ability, and position flexibility.

HIs OBP is nice, but keep in mind the team around him. Teams are pitching around him.

You can pretty much guarantee that if this team still had Grandal at 1b, everyone would be ********. He even has a higher OBP.

Splits - He bats .209 vs .244 - Still not very good.

Position flexibility is good, but if he comes here, he's playing 1st or 3rd, thats it.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 28, 2021, 12:38 PM Post
Big lefty power bat also plays very well in Miller Park, he should get a slight boost here. That said, if they have a godfather offer on the table we don't need to pay that. I'd gladly take Mancini for much less.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 28, 2021, 12:48 PM Post
Global Moderator
mlloyd10 said:
PeaveyFury said:
mlloyd10 said:

HIs OBP is nice, but keep in mind the team around him. Teams are pitching around him.

You can pretty much guarantee that if this team still had Grandal at 1b, everyone would be ********. He even has a higher OBP.

Position flexibility is good, but if he comes here, he's playing 1st or 3rd, thats it.

If they’re constantly pitching around him, how does he have 25 home runs and a .500 slugging percentage? And no, he’ll get plenty of time in the OF here. If not this year, he 100% will next year. But he’ll undoubtedly play out there this year as well.

This team needs guys who get on base, and drive runners in ahead of them. Gallo is a perfect fit at both.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 28, 2021, 12:48 PM Post
Plus he's playing an extreme pitchers park.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 28, 2021, 12:49 PM Post
Global Moderator
mlloyd10 said:

What about his OBP/SLG though?

119 wRC+ career vs lefties, 115 wRC+ career vs righties.

Maybe not very good, but 15 to 20 percent above average across the board.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 28, 2021, 1:01 PM Post
If we can get Donaldson, and I wouldn't trade Urias to do it, Urias becomes your 1st up off the bench at 2b, SS, and 3b. I'd take that upgrade over Jace on top of Donaldson's upgrade to the lineup. Donaldson must be 1 of top 3 batters who are in the top 10% of categories measured. Look up his page and it's littered with 90s including 99 for EV, 95 for Walk % 92 for expected Slg pct. of his 16HRs all but 4 stadiums would be a higher total (18 in MKE, 20 in LA, 23 in SD, 21 in SF, 18 in NYM)

For reference, Avisail Garcia has 17HRs leading the team and at every stadium but SF suggests he should have less. Our next highest HR total is Urias at 13 who has 5 stadiums where that number would be higher but only in MKE and lower in the other 4 current playoff teams. Urias also doesn't possess 1 single statcast pct above 55% except 76 for walk %.

Donaldson was who Milw should have signed to pair with Yelich and he's still worthy of being used in this lineup the most.

Other than him, I don't know who I would add. Gallo has some great hitting numbers via statcast but also a bottom 5% of those qualified(Hiura apparently doesn't) in K% and Whiff %. Worse than JBJ. And Gallo is #1 in BB %. So you're talking about a guy who legit spends 51% of his PA not putting the ball in play. (Donaldson is at 34% not doing so) We need more Batted balls in play on this team for all the guys who are getting on base via walks.

Last edited by brewcrewdue80 on July 28, 2021, 1:04 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 28, 2021, 1:04 PM Post
sveumrules said:
mlloyd10 said:

I'm not denying that he wouldnt be an upgrade, all i can think of when i hear his name is a young Mark Reynolds.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 28, 2021, 1:15 PM Post
mlloyd10 said:
sveumrules said:
mlloyd10 said:

I'm not denying that he wouldnt be an upgrade, all i can think of when i hear his name is a young Mark Reynolds.

Reynolds was never the OBP guy Gallo is. Nor the baserunner, nor the fielder.

Edit: I'm comparing young Reynolds to current Gallo, not their whole careers.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 28, 2021, 1:19 PM Post
I just cant get behind the HR, Strike out or Walk guys. I do like that Gallo can play D but i would rather go after a bat that puts the ball in play more then 50% of the time.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 28, 2021, 1:33 PM Post
Just to compare Reynolds and Gallo...

Reynolds 2007-09 (he pretty much peaked his first 3 years):

Gallo 2018-21:

Not a horrible comparison. That said, Reynolds was very good his first three years (ie. I would be happy adding that kind of production to the team), and Gallo still almost doubled his WAR in 200 fewer PAs in this comparison. Also note that Reynolds' numbers were probably helped by a high BABIP, which may have explained some of his decline after these three years. Whereas Gallo's low BABIP could lead to better results moving forward.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 28, 2021, 1:38 PM Post
Gallo also doesn't have a lot of quality hitters around him in that lineup, there are a couple but the guys that are bad are real bad. The Brewers lineup is more balanced in that respect. The lineup wouldn't be as dependent on Gallo and would provide him more protection. Likely make his walks more valuable as well by bringing him around to score more often. Maybe NL ball with the pitcher batting negates that advantage a bit but only in the early innings.

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 28, 2021, 1:54 PM Post
I too am one, well actually there are very few it seems, that do not want Gallo. I'm too old school and like guys that can actually hit for average but I realize the game has evolved away from that, unfortunately. I just think too many of you view him as a corner infielder guy and I just don't think that is all that realistic. He was a train wreck at third and not very good at first either.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 28, 2021, 1:57 PM Post

The Weatherman
Global Moderator
Somebody is going to overpay for Gallo and it won't be us, there is already a rumor that Texas is sitting on a big offer.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 28, 2021, 1:59 PM Post
Stranger things have happened but judging by who the Brewers have traded at the deadline, I wouldn't expect Joey Gallo or any other player under control for 2022 that would require a large amount of talent from Milwaukee.

Brett Phillips
Jorge Lopez
Jean Carmona
Luis Ortiz
Jonathan Villar
Jesus Aguilar
Mauricio Dubon
Kodi Medeiros
Wilber Perez
Ryan Cordell

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47  Next  [ 934 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply