LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next  [ 42 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Turang for sale??

Offline  Turang for sale??

Posted: July 22, 2021, 10:07 PM Post
Are the Brewers in a position to put Turang up on the block?? With Adames making himself the future and Urias around as a good backup along with Wong Turang might be the best chip we have to get a guy who moves the needle. Anyone thinking he's not on the table??

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Turang for sale??

Posted: July 22, 2021, 10:20 PM Post
Global Moderator
Everyone is available for the right return.

Given Stearns & company's past deadline behavior I don't expect them to deal any of the higher profile guys at AA or above like Turang, Mitchell, Ashby or Small, though.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 22, 2021, 10:26 PM Post
sveumrules said:

Given Stearns & company's past deadline behavior I don't expect them to deal any of the higher profile guys at AA or above like Turang, Mitchell, Ashby or Small, though.

I don't know. Lewis Brinson was our consensus #1 prospect. Ortiz was up there.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 22, 2021, 11:21 PM Post
Yes. I think Turang goes in any major deal. Have to deal from strength.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 23, 2021, 5:51 AM Post
Global Moderator
Just based on the organizational depth chart at this point, you’d have to assume that Turang would be involved in any major deal, and I’d say that a major deal this deadline seems very possible.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 23, 2021, 7:02 AM Post
Global Moderator
I think Hiura or Turang are the pieces most likely to be involved in a trade for a true impact player that has control beyond this year. Obviously trading Hiura at his low point isn’t ideal. I hope they’ll place a high value on Turang, his Double-A stat line looks a lot more impressive when you sort by other 21 year olds playing at that level. The only 21 (or younger) player outhitting him in the Double-A South Division is the Rays’ Xavier Edwards. If Turang had gone to college this would’ve been his junior year, so it’s worth considering he still has a wide range of possible outcomes with his development.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 23, 2021, 7:34 AM Post
Global Moderator
adambr2 said:
sveumrules said:

Brinson was dealt during the offseason though. Maverick/Ortiz are probably the highest ranked guys (#4/5 on the 2018 BF.net Top 25) we've dealt at the deadline.

Phillips has been fun for sure & has posted 3+ WAR as a defense first 4th OF over parts of five seasons, but I think (hope?) the Brewers FO has a higher internal evaluation on Turang.

Brice is pretty similar to Brett in that his defense/speed combo gives him the floor of a backup IF, but Maverick has simply K'ed too much (36.3% K rate) to do anything on offense (73 OPS+), whereas Turang seemingly has a much better approach, which should hopefully allow him to be more productive at the plate despite a paucity of power.

I agree Brice is the best bet among the better prospects to be dealt, but given the MLB team needs (1B, RP, back end SP?) I think Stearns & company will go after rentals who don't require us to surrender anyone from the four aforementioned.

I won't be surprised if Stearns & company swing big at the deadline, but I'm not really expecting it either.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 23, 2021, 1:04 PM Post
For me, the thing about Turang is, I imagine that Adames and Urias will both be better than Turang during the Peralta-Woody-Burnes window.

So if there's a way for Turang to be the lead in a deal for Mancini, Gallo, or Santana, count me in.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 23, 2021, 1:22 PM Post
JCREW said:
For me, the thing about Turang is, I imagine that Adames and Urias will both be better than Turang during the Peralta-Woody-Burnes window.

So if there's a way for Turang to be the lead in a deal for Mancini, Gallo, or Santana, count me in.

Why not Urias? He's not going to be a starting middle infielder before 2023 with Adames and Wong on the roster and maybe not even then depending on Wong's club option. Then the Brewers have Turang at SS in AA, he should be ready by 2023. They also just used a first round pick on Tyler Black, who is coming to pro-ball as an advanced hitter from college. He should also be knocking on the door at some point in 2023 as well.

Urias is passable as a 3B in the vein of Gio Urshela or Jeimer Candelario, but most of the perennial contenders have a third basemen who brings more power to the table: Arenado, Bryant, Devers, Turner, Donaldson, Bregman, Rendon, Machado, Jose Ramirez, etc., meaning the Brewers probably don't view him as a long term answer at 3B.

With four years of team control remaining, and a nice season under his belt he probably brings back the most talent for Milwaukee, and certainly more than Turang would.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 23, 2021, 1:27 PM Post
Global Moderator
But was good does trading Urias do for the 2021 Brewers? You’d be fixing one hole by creating another. Unless you’re packaging him as part of a deal for BOTH Rizzo and Bryant, you’re really just moving sideways.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 23, 2021, 1:31 PM Post
PeaveyFury said:
But was good does trading Urias do for the 2021 Brewers? You’d be fixing one hole by creating another. Unless you’re packaging him as part of a deal for BOTH Rizzo and Bryant, you’re really just moving sideways.

Depends what you get I suppose. For some middling players, yeah it probably doesn't make sense. As part of a package to add a premium talent somewhere to the roster, that's different.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 23, 2021, 1:34 PM Post
Global Moderator
Jopal78! said:
PeaveyFury said:

Depends what you get I suppose. For some middling players, yeah it probably doesn't make sense. As part of a package to add a premium talent somewhere to the roster, that's different.

Well, sort of. You’d have to subtract the regression at 3B from the value of the expected upgrade. Seems like trading Turang just makes more sense from an in-season perspective.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 23, 2021, 1:58 PM Post
PeaveyFury said:
Jopal78! said:
PeaveyFury said:

Well, sort of. You’d have to subtract the regression at 3B from the value of the expected upgrade. Seems like trading Turang just makes more sense from an in-season perspective.

Like I said, it depends who they could get in a package of players including Urias. Maybe you can flip Urias for Kyle Gibson. He's a 3.4 WAR player this year just moving him into the rotation and moving Anderson or Houser to the pen in place of Perdomo or Gustave etc. More than makes up for Urias AND allows the Brewers to lean less heavily on their Big 3 as they pitch more innings than they have before as pros.

Turang just isn't going to bring as much back for Milwaukee. The reality is there's a ton of prospect love on these boards, but Turang in 2021 isn't a Dansby Swanson or Trea Turner. In fact a shortstop in AA with a career OPS of .722 as a pro isn't a sure bet to see the big leagues. Urias on the other hand already has had success in the major leagues.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 23, 2021, 2:24 PM Post
Jopal78! said:
JCREW said:

Why not Urias? He's not going to be a starting middle infielder before 2023 with Adames and Wong on the roster and maybe not even then depending on Wong's club option. Then the Brewers have Turang at SS in AA, he should be ready by 2023. They also just used a first round pick on Tyler Black, who is coming to pro-ball as an advanced hitter from college. He should also be knocking on the door at some point in 2023 as well.

Urias is passable as a 3B in the vein of Gio Urshela or Jeimer Candelario, but most of the perennial contenders have a third basemen who brings more power to the table: Arenado, Bryant, Devers, Turner, Donaldson, Bregman, Rendon, Machado, Jose Ramirez, etc., meaning the Brewers probably don't view him as a long term answer at 3B.

With four years of team control remaining, and a nice season under his belt he probably brings back the most talent for Milwaukee, and certainly more than Turang would.

I have thought a lot about whether I could get to trading Urias. I think your points are very good. Here's where I am.
1. I agree that he isn't a prototypical 3B, but he is currently providing middle-of-the-pack production.
2. Perhaps he won't be the future 3b in MKE, but an offseason opens up way more roster flexibility to look at ways to get better long term production at 3B.
3. 1B is our glaring hole. If we trade Urias for a 1B, we open a hole at 3B.
-- If Jace is the thing that fills either of these holes... he'd better stay hot. --
4. I would consider Urias in a trade for Jose Ramirez. He's probably the only "available" player I can think of.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 23, 2021, 3:44 PM Post
adambr2 said:
sveumrules said:

Considering how poorly the Yelich trade crew turned out, Im guessing you will see Turang offered in trade if they lost faith in him or acquired a piece with team control that fills a need. So like Urias for Grisham trade.

Turang fwiw can obviously be headed a future at 2b/Utility after Wong's contract expires. So Adames imo doesn't block Turang atm. Do think team has options for same role which does make losing him less of impact. I'd be just fine trading Turang for something useful beyond just a rental.
Mitchell I would not trade.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 23, 2021, 3:53 PM Post
Jopal78! said:
JCREW said:

I would not trade Urias. I believe he is blossoming, will be more impact hitter as he ages on through his prime. Things are beginning to click for him and add more confidence he and Adames will be a fantastic pair in top of lineup.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Turang for sale??

Posted: July 23, 2021, 4:46 PM Post
brewcrewdue80 said:
Jopal78! said:
JCREW said:

I would not trade Urias. I believe he is blossoming, will be more impact hitter as he ages on through his prime. Things are beginning to click for him and add more confidence he and Adames will be a fantastic pair in top of lineup.

Ditto. Dude is 24, and is just starting to mash. Giving him up now because he doesn't "fit the mold of other 3B" would be a terrible oversight IMO.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 23, 2021, 5:14 PM Post
ecjimg said:
Yes. I think Turang goes in any major deal. Have to deal from strength.

I'd rather move Zamora while he still has value. Wasn't a fan of that pick. But not at all opposed to moving Turang.

Hell, they could move both Turang and Zamora. Still will have Hamilton, Cantrelle, and Garcia.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 23, 2021, 6:29 PM Post
I would trade Turang in the right deal.

You'd have to blow me away to get me to deal Urias.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 23, 2021, 6:47 PM Post
And if the knock on Urias is in regards to typical 3b power. He's at 13 HR now after a pretty poor start to the year. Post like April he's probably on a 25ish HR type pace, pretty normal or solid for a 3B really, especially in a massive down year for hitting.

My biggest concern on Urias is still every time he throws the ball.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next  [ 42 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply