LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34  Next  [ 669 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Trade Deadline Rumors

Offline  Re: Trade Deadline Rumors
Posted: July 30, 2021, 2:47 PM Post
If I was a Rockies fan I would probably just find another team at this point. They have a bottom 5 MLB roster, bottom 5 farm system, last 2 draft picks were high school outfielders, gonna let Story go for a comp pick and Gray for nothing most likely. It will be 5 years til they have any hope of being good.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 30, 2021, 2:49 PM Post
On a side note, mlb “insiders” continue to have zero clue what the brewers will and won’t do. I think this year taught me not to listen to any of it. Under Stearns I cannot think of 1 trade that was significant that has been tipped off. Plouffe is still the worst.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 30, 2021, 2:58 PM Post
Global Moderator
From Adam McCalvy

David Stearns said the Brewers did engage on some of the premium players on this market, but said "in certain circumstances I think maybe our geographical location didn't always help."

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 30, 2021, 2:59 PM Post
Eye Black said:
From Adam McCalvy

David Stearns said the Brewers did engage on some of the premium players on this market, but said "in certain circumstances I think maybe our geographical location didn't always help."

Oh man, he wanted Scherzer

What is best in life? To crush the Cardinals and Cubs, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of their fanboys.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 30, 2021, 3:00 PM Post
Eye Black said:
From Adam McCalvy

Interesting. Maybe some of the players who had no-trade clauses and only wanted to go to the coast teams?

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Trade Deadline Rumors
Posted: July 30, 2021, 3:01 PM Post
jonescm128 said:
Eye Black said:
From Adam McCalvy

Interesting. Maybe some of the players who had no-trade clauses and only wanted to go to the coast teams?

Right, so basically, Scherzer.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 30, 2021, 3:01 PM Post
Global Moderator
Also plausible that he's referring to guys he may have wanted from the North side?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 30, 2021, 3:02 PM Post
Harvey'sWBs said:
Eye Black said:
From Adam McCalvy

Oh man, he wanted Scherzer

Or the cubs didn't want to deal intradivision.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 30, 2021, 3:03 PM Post
Global Moderator
Scherzer does seem like a Stearns-type move though- every one is claiming/expecting you to be pursuing big bats, so you go after a guy that makes your 4-man rotation unmatched in the playoffs instead.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 30, 2021, 3:03 PM Post
Global Moderator
I would’ve loved some big splashy move from the Brewers at the deadline, but ending the day with Garrett Mitchell, Brice Turang, Aaron Ashby, Mario Feliciano, Hedbert Perez, Jackson Chourio, etc. all still in the farm system is a win in its own right.

Also, I’m collecting and hanging onto receipts from the Turang slander I’ve seen over the past couple of weeks. [wink]

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 30, 2021, 3:15 PM Post
I love seeing that Stearns was involved in trying to get Scherzer!! I wonder if we had the best deal in place, but he wouldn’t wave the no trade??

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 30, 2021, 3:15 PM Post
Eye Black said:
From Adam McCalvy

This is why when I hear "Why didn't the Brewers go get this guy or that guy" either now or in the off season, I have to shake my head. Aside from the fact that they don't have an $8+ billion dollar TV contract like teams such as the Dodgers, there are so many other factors at play. You can't just get whoever you want. There are 29 other teams - several of them with much higher revenue and more desirable geographic locations to players. Derek Jeter was a great SS, but do you think he would have been as nationally known or as iconic if he played his career with the Brewers? Players understand that there is "added value" beyond their actual contract to playing in big markets on either coast.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 30, 2021, 4:45 PM Post
Eye Black said:
I would’ve loved some big splashy move from the Brewers at the deadline, but ending the day with Garrett Mitchell, Brice Turang, Aaron Ashby, Mario Feliciano, Hedbert Perez, Jackson Chourio, etc. all still in the farm system is a win in its own right.

Also, I’m collecting and hanging onto receipts from the Turang slander I’ve seen over the past couple of weeks. [wink]

Can you please keep some receipts for guys who agree with you too? [smile]

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 30, 2021, 4:47 PM Post
PeaveyFury said:
Also plausible that he's referring to guys he may have wanted from the North side?

Maybe, but that's not really a geographical problem....just intradivision. The Cubs traded Kimbrel to a team in their own city, after all.

I think it implies Scherzer more than a Cubs player.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 30, 2021, 6:50 PM Post
I find it really hard to believe Stearns was willing to back up a dump truck for Scherzer (good enough to get him), but seemingly not any other player they had heavy interest in that was more upper shelf.

I will stick to the assumption we had zero chance for Scherzer because he didn’t want to come here AND because we wouldn’t offer enough.

And while I agree with the sentiment about some people always assuming we can outbid via money or trade capital I also can’t stand people that just assume we couldn’t get a guy because we couldn’t offer enough or they didn’t want to come here. I hate the “we never had a chance because we are a small market/Milwaukee” when there is zero proof that was the case.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 30, 2021, 7:11 PM Post
MrTPlush said:
I find it really hard to believe Stearns was willing to back up a dump truck for Scherzer (good enough to get him), but seemingly not any other player they had heavy interest in that was more upper shelf.

I will stick to the assumption we had zero chance for Scherzer because he didn’t want to come here AND because we wouldn’t offer enough.

And while I agree with the sentiment about some people always assuming we can outbid via money or trade capital I also can’t stand people that just assume we couldn’t get a guy because we couldn’t offer enough or they didn’t want to come here. I hate the “we never had a chance because we are a small market/Milwaukee” when there is zero proof that was the case.

Scherzer had total control of where he ended up and was clear he wanted to go to the West Coast. In his case, I get it. In many cases I agree with you, don't assume we can't get a guy because we're the Brewers.

On the opposite end are guys who assume we can just put Mitchell and Turang on the table and have anyone that is on the trade block. Doesn't work that way.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 30, 2021, 7:34 PM Post
Global Moderator
adambr2 said:
MrTPlush said:

Scherzer had total control of where he ended up and was clear he wanted to go to the West Coast. In his case, I get it. In many cases I agree with you, don't assume we can't get a guy because we're the Brewers.

On the opposite end are guys who assume we can just put Mitchell and Turang on the table and have anyone that is on the trade block. Doesn't work that way.

Between Scherzer likely preferring the Dodgers, Justin Turner using the Brewers to increase his Dodgers pay day, and Walker Buehler making the joke about not being scared of Milwaukee, it’s sure setting up for incredible satisfaction if the Brewers can beat the Dodgers in the playoffs.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 30, 2021, 8:38 PM Post
I hope the Giants win the West and the Dodgers get outdueled by the Padres on their field and don't even make it out of the play in game. That would be both hilarious and great for baseball.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 31, 2021, 2:11 PM Post
Heyman said we made an offer for Story.

Curious who was in the deal.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 31, 2021, 6:41 PM Post
BestInTheWorld said:
Heyman said we made an offer for Story.

Curious who was in the deal.

My guess is not much. Something around the value of Peyton Henry maybe. He's a rental who is not having a great year by his standards. Whatever we offered was deemed less valuable than a comp pick.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34  Next  [ 669 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply