LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34  [ 669 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Trade Deadline Rumors

Offline  Re: Trade Deadline Rumors
Posted: August 12, 2021, 6:50 AM Post
Apparently the rumors were true, and the Brewers made plays for both Max Scherzer and Craig Kimbrel at the deadline. https://www.mlb.com/news/source-brewers ... rel-trades

It would have been interesting to see what they would have had to give up for those guys. Kimbrel especially would have been pricey. I wonder if the Cubs just up and decided that they weren't going to contribute to the Brewers' potential success this year?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 12, 2021, 7:04 AM Post
Global Moderator
Interesting read, and certainly unsurprising that the Brewers at least considered those as options. To your point, we may never know whether the Cubs liked the White Sox offer better, or whether they just wouldn't deal with us.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 12, 2021, 9:39 AM Post
Given what the Sox gave up for Kimbrel (a lot), I'm curious what we had on the table for him.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 12, 2021, 10:02 AM Post
Global Moderator
adambr2 said:
Given what the Sox gave up for Kimbrel (a lot), I'm curious what we had on the table for him.

Turang is probably the closest comp for Madrigal, in that they're both punchless middle infielders. Madrigal's edge is that he is already singling MLB to death where Turang's offense is much less certain at this point, Brice's edge is that he is apparently a legit SS who is younger & with more team control.

Heuer looks like a middle leverage reliever with some team control left. Since most would probably value Madrigal over Turang we might have to give up a better reliever. Maybe one of Sanchez or Cousins? Possibly Abner Uribe if the Cubs want to go more for future value?

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Trade Deadline Rumors
Posted: August 12, 2021, 12:38 PM Post
meh.

Nothing burger.

I'm sure Stearns touches base with all the big name guys that are available EVERY single season.

We always hear about it afterwards, and it is always just talk.

Would LOVE to hear what we offerd though.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Trade Deadline Rumors
Posted: August 13, 2021, 6:21 AM Post
I mean, why would we not be interested in those guys? Unless it gets reported that we nearly traded for them it means just about nothing.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 13, 2021, 12:56 PM Post
Now that the deadline has passed what grade would you give Stearns for this year's acquisitions? I think this is the full list of players acquired (trades only) who have contributed at the MLB level this year:

Weigel (4.0 IP, 4.50 ERA, 2.00 WHIP)
Adames (266 ABs, .935 OPS, 16 HRs, 48 RBI)
Strickland (17.1 IP, 1.56 ERA, .808 WHIP)
Gustave (7.0 IP, 0.00 ERA, 0.714 WHIP)
Tellez (71 ABs, .980 OPS, 5 HRs, 18 RBI)
Escobar (52 ABs, 1.000 OPS, 2 HR, 7 RBI)
Norris (5.2 IP, 11.12 ERA, 1.941 WHIP)
Curtiss (Out for season - 4.1 IP, 12.46 ERA, 2.538 WHIP)

I would give this a solid A. Acquiring a franchise SS performing at an MVP level alone makes this a success. Add in Tellez, Escobar and Strickland (and Gustave to a lesser degree) and you have four or five guys who have totally changed the look of this team. Offense was desperately needed to pair with our elite pitching staff and we have gotten more than anyone could have hoped for with Adames, Tellez and Escobar. In addition, Strickland has given them another great arm to add to the bullpen.

Yes, Norris and Curtis have been huge busts but we barely gave up anything to acquire them. The only disappointment for me is we were clearly looking to upgrade our bullpen at the deadline and missed out on some more elite names like Kimbrel so it stings just a bit more.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 13, 2021, 2:01 PM Post
The weak point of this team was SS and 1B and he improved it so would give A. Would have been nice to get better relievers but they already had good/great pitching so being able to obtain Adames/Escobar/Tellez puts them in position for a championship.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 28, 2021, 9:58 AM Post
Add Bryan Reynolds to the guys Stearns went after
https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/09/ ... nolds.html

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34  [ 669 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply