LambeauLeap1250 WSSP


  
 [ 17 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Matt Olson

Author Message
Offline  Matt Olson
#1

Posted: August 18, 2021, 9:16 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 2211
Location: At the gettin' place
I know this is kind of weird timing, but I was just reading an MLBTR chat that mentioned how the A's will likely have to break up the team because of their huge arbitration class which includes Olson, Chapman, Bassitt, Manaea and 5 or 6 others.

I've had my eye on Olson for a few years now, kind of hoping in a way that the Brewers could somehow get their hands on him.

He has 3 years of arby left.

Edit: Actually it's 2 years, thanks Reilly.

Just hypothetically wondering what a package for Olson would look like. I'm sure it would be painful, but man would he slot nicely into this lineup. He is having a great season, had a great season in 2019 but sputtered in 2020 (which, personally, I kind of throw out).

https://www.baseball-reference.com/play ... ma02.shtml

I'm thinking something like Turang+Ashby or Small+Feliciano? That feels light. I don't know if we could get it done without Mitchell.

What do you guys think?


Last edited by StearnsFTW on August 18, 2021, 9:36 AM, edited 1 time in total.

 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Matt Olson
#2

Posted: August 18, 2021, 9:23 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 4312
We currently have a 26-year-old 1B with a 1.014 OPS and multiple years of cheap control. Not saying that Rowdy Tellez is definitely the cure to the team's longtime 1B issues, but it is certainly worth seeing what we have in him before giving up the farm for someone like Olson.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Matt Olson
#3

Posted: August 18, 2021, 9:24 AM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 7944
StearnsFTW said:
I know this is kind of weird timing, but I was just reading an MLBTR chat that mentioned how the A's will likely have to break up the team because of their huge arbitration class which includes Olson, Chapman, Bassitt, Manaea and 5 or 6 others.

I've had my eye on Olson for a few years now, kind of hoping in a way that the Brewers could somehow get their hands on him.

He has 3 years of arby left.

Just hypothetically wondering what a package for Olson would look like. I'm sure it would be painful, but man would he slot nicely into this lineup. He is having a great season, had a great season in 2019 but sputtered in 2020 (which, personally, I kind of throw out).

I'm thinking something like Turang+Ashby or Small+Feliciano? That feels light. I don't know if we could get it done without Mitchell.

What do you guys think?

To clarify, Olson has two years of Arby remaining after this season.

But even two years of Olson is - as you point out - not going to be cheap. He's an excellent player. You would likely have to build something around Mitchell - is my guess.

I guess waiting to see how Rowdy does the rest of the season is probably the next step before making a trade like this.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Matt Olson
#4

Posted: August 18, 2021, 9:36 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 2211
Location: At the gettin' place
Yeah, I agree on the Tellez part. I also think we're going to have a DH next year.

I don't have a ton of faith in Rowdy tbh, but if he continues to hit like this, this thread is moot.

And, yes, 2 years, will edit. My bad.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Matt Olson
#5

Posted: August 18, 2021, 8:04 PM Post
Posts: 3056
StearnsFTW said:
Yeah, I agree on the Tellez part. I also think we're going to have a DH next year.

I don't have a ton of faith in Rowdy tbh, but if he continues to hit like this, this thread is moot.

And, yes, 2 years, will edit. My bad.


I’m all for a DH for the SP and then let RP/pinch hitters bat after SP is removed. I think that would be the ultimate compromise that protects 200 million arms yet keeps a semblance of the NL game.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Matt Olson
#6

Posted: August 18, 2021, 10:39 PM Post
Posts: 5324
I'm a NO on Olson. Costs too much for too little control, both in terms of money and prospects.

Now, Lou Trivino and Tony Kemp would be a nice package to get from them.

Trivino could go 8th/9th with Devin Williams, moving Hader back to the multi-inning fireman role he filled so well, and Kemp provides a decent OBP and some versatility for the bench while batting left-handed.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Matt Olson
#7

Posted: August 19, 2021, 6:39 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 4312
clancyphile said:
I'm a NO on Olson. Costs too much for too little control, both in terms of money and prospects.

Now, Lou Trivino and Tony Kemp would be a nice package to get from them.

Trivino could go 8th/9th with Devin Williams, moving Hader back to the multi-inning fireman role he filled so well, and Kemp provides a decent OBP and some versatility for the bench while batting left-handed.


Sure, why go out and get a Corvette when you can park a couple perfectly fine used Chevy Malibus in the garage? [laughing]


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Matt Olson
#8

Posted: August 19, 2021, 7:36 AM Post
Posts: 26360
Unless his performance goes completely south at some point, Hader is our closer for as long as he is a Brewer. It isn't worth debating changing his role at this point because it isn't happening.

I'd be all about Olson. 2 years is enough control to be worth a decent investment. Rowdy has had some really nice moments, but let's be honest, it's been 83 ABs. We still don't know if he is our answer at 1B or not. I'll take the established top 5 player at his position. Not that I'm looking to get rid of Rowdy. If the DH ends up in the NL there's plenty of opportunity to get him ABs too if he keeps up his hitting.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Matt Olson
#9

Posted: August 19, 2021, 8:01 AM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 4274
Hader is having his best season ever this year, not sure why anyone would be looking to change his usage to a role where he would have to put more stress on his arm in order to have less of an impact on winning games...

2018: 81 IP | 60 ERA- | 54 FIP- | 2.6 rWAR | 2.6 fWAR | +3.30 WPA
2019: 75 IP | 59 ERA- | 70 FIP- | 2.7 rWAR | 2.2 fWAR | +3.15 WPA
2021: 43 IP | 40 ERA- | 42 FIP- | 2.3 rWAR | 2.0 fWAR | +3.94 WPA


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Matt Olson
#10

Posted: August 19, 2021, 8:25 AM Post
Posts: 5324
sveumrules said:
Hader is having his best season ever this year, not sure why anyone would be looking to change his usage to a role where he would have to put more stress on his arm in order to have less of an impact on winning games...

2018: 81 IP | 60 ERA- | 54 FIP- | 2.6 rWAR | 2.6 fWAR | +3.30 WPA
2019: 75 IP | 59 ERA- | 70 FIP- | 2.7 rWAR | 2.2 fWAR | +3.15 WPA
2021: 43 IP | 40 ERA- | 42 FIP- | 2.3 rWAR | 2.0 fWAR | +3.94 WPA


You still have to get to the ninth with a lead.

Hader's value in a given game evaporates if the one-run lead you want to save him for the ninth evaporates because Boxberger/Sanchez/etc. got lit up in the sixth trying to clean up a jam the starter got in.

In that case, you put Hader in to get to the eighth, and you have conventional 8th/9th inning guys take those two.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Matt Olson
#11

Posted: August 19, 2021, 8:33 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 4312
clancyphile said:
sveumrules said:
Hader is having his best season ever this year, not sure why anyone would be looking to change his usage to a role where he would have to put more stress on his arm in order to have less of an impact on winning games...

2018: 81 IP | 60 ERA- | 54 FIP- | 2.6 rWAR | 2.6 fWAR | +3.30 WPA
2019: 75 IP | 59 ERA- | 70 FIP- | 2.7 rWAR | 2.2 fWAR | +3.15 WPA
2021: 43 IP | 40 ERA- | 42 FIP- | 2.3 rWAR | 2.0 fWAR | +3.94 WPA


You still have to get to the ninth with a lead.

Hader's value in a given game evaporates if the one-run lead you want to save him for the ninth evaporates because Boxberger/Sanchez/etc. got lit up in the sixth trying to clean up a jam the starter got in.

In that case, you put Hader in to get to the eighth, and you have conventional 8th/9th inning guys take those two.


Josh Hader has said, many times now, that he feels more comfortable in the closer role, and he would much prefer to stay in that role, rather than go back to his multi-inning role. I'm not real sure what else needs to be said. Hader is this team's closer, and he's damn good at it. It is long past time for those few fans who are hanging on to the idea of 2017 Hader to wake up and smell the roses.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Matt Olson
#12

Posted: August 19, 2021, 8:35 AM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 11878
clancyphile said:
Hader's value in a given game evaporates if the one-run lead you want to save him for the ninth evaporates because Boxberger/Sanchez/etc. got lit up in the sixth trying to clean up a jam the starter got in..


How often has that happened, though? The Brewers are winning games because their bullpen is performing well OUTSIDE of just Hader. Sanchez and Boxberger have been exactly what you want from the middle-inning guys.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Matt Olson
#13

Posted: August 19, 2021, 10:56 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 2211
Location: At the gettin' place
adambr2 said:
Unless his performance goes completely south at some point, Hader is our closer for as long as he is a Brewer. It isn't worth debating changing his role at this point because it isn't happening.

I'd be all about Olson. 2 years is enough control to be worth a decent investment. Rowdy has had some really nice moments, but let's be honest, it's been 83 ABs. We still don't know if he is our answer at 1B or not. I'll take the established top 5 player at his position. Not that I'm looking to get rid of Rowdy. If the DH ends up in the NL there's plenty of opportunity to get him ABs too if he keeps up his hitting.


You could theoretically include Tellez in a deal for Olson if Tellez keeps hitting. Tellez' control would be enticing to Oakland, but of course that's enticing to us too haha. I'd love to have them both.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Matt Olson
#14

Posted: August 19, 2021, 11:41 AM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 4274
clancyphile said:
You still have to get to the ninth with a lead.


That hasn't been an issue. This is the best team in Brewers history as of today's date...

2021: 74-47
2011: 74-52
2008: 72-55
1982: 69-50
2018: 69-57

No need to fix what isn't broken & has been working exceptionally well.

That Hader has already surpassed his WPA from 2018-19 by a significant margin, with over a month of the season remaining, all while throwing notably fewer innings indicates to me that the current set up would be very difficult to improve upon.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Matt Olson
#15

Posted: August 19, 2021, 10:11 PM Post
Posts: 5798
Too expensive. With the year hes having he must be looking at over 10Mil this upcoming Arb. ~11.6? my guess which heads to the 18-21Mil the last year. That year will be very expensive already for Mil with Arb players.

Tellez meanwhile has an adequate bat that may improve with more experience. He will possess the cheap player the team needs over these next 2 or 3 seasons while giving a better than Replacement level bat in return.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Matt Olson
#16

Posted: August 20, 2021, 7:09 AM Post
Posts: 5324
brewcrewdue80 said:
Too expensive. With the year hes having he must be looking at over 10Mil this upcoming Arb. ~11.6? my guess which heads to the 18-21Mil the last year. That year will be very expensive already for Mil with Arb players.

Tellez meanwhile has an adequate bat that may improve with more experience. He will possess the cheap player the team needs over these next 2 or 3 seasons while giving a better than Replacement level bat in return.


At which point, the Crew could very well have an option like Ernesto Martinez ready to step in.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Matt Olson
#17

Posted: August 22, 2021, 4:56 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 2211
Location: At the gettin' place
brewcrewdue80 said:
Too expensive. With the year hes having he must be looking at over 10Mil this upcoming Arb. ~11.6? my guess which heads to the 18-21Mil the last year. That year will be very expensive already for Mil with Arb players.

Tellez meanwhile has an adequate bat that may improve with more experience. He will possess the cheap player the team needs over these next 2 or 3 seasons while giving a better than Replacement level bat in return.


I understand the point completely.

However, Olson's season this year is pretty equivalent to 2018 Yelich. I'm pretty eager to complete the 2022 lineup with a hitter like that.

I don't have any real faith in Tellez going forward.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 [ 17 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
  


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: adambr2 and 6 guests

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search this forum (phpBB search):
Jump to:  
Search entire board (Google search):
Google
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Test