LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next  [ 187 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Upcoming Free Agents

Offline  Re: Upcoming Free Agents

Posted: October 13, 2021, 12:48 PM Post
nate82 said:
An interesting name to watch for a 1-year deal maybe Michael Conforto who didn't have a really good offensive year and he could possibly replace Garcia in RF for about the same price.

The only other option would be Rizzo at 1B but I think there will be more competition for him but I think teams will be looking at 1 or 2-year deals and nothing more than that for him.

I would love to add Conforto, nice big bat to go along with Yelich, Adames, Urias, Wong.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 13, 2021, 1:05 PM Post
BestInTheWorld said:

I would love to add Conforto, nice big bat to go along with Yelich, Adames, Urias, Wong.

Christian Yelich was better at the plate than Conforto in 2021. Just let that sink in for a moment. With Cain, JBJ and Yelich on guaranteed contracts for 2022, and Taylor out of options the Brewers are not likely going to be spending big dollars on another outfielder, and especially one coming of a season of poor play and injury.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 13, 2021, 1:09 PM Post
I had Conforto in fantasy and yes he was awful. He was also hurt for a good long stretch early on and never got going. He's probably a good bounce back candidate if he wants a 1-2 yr prove it deal, not unlike what we gave Avi. Feel like we need something a bit more 'for sure' though. He's also a lefty with bad splits vs lefties.

With how much we have invested in OF already and Taylor looking at least solid I'm not sure I see it. I suppose if he's cheaper than bring back Avi and DH happens and you start planning on a bunch of Yeli DH(or some transitioning to 1B) days I could seen a path.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 13, 2021, 2:54 PM Post
Global Moderator
One free agent I don’t have a good gauge on the likely cost for is Starling Marte. He reportedly turned down an extension offer from the Marlins of 3 years and $30 million before being traded to the Athletics midseason. He would look very good in the top half of the Brewers lineup.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 13, 2021, 9:14 PM Post
Eye Black said:
One free agent I don’t have a good gauge on the likely cost for is Starling Marte. He reportedly turned down an extension offer from the Marlins of 3 years and $30 million before being traded to the Athletics midseason. He would look very good in the top half of the Brewers lineup.

Marte is the only everyday CF free agent this offseason. After his strong season, I think he will get a big contract from the Mets or Phillies or another team needing a CF.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 14, 2021, 3:49 AM Post
Devinep said:
Eye Black said:

Marte is the only everyday CF free agent this offseason. After his strong season, I think he will get a big contract from the Mets or Phillies or another team needing a CF.

I’m hoping there will be a team in need of a starting CF who is willing to trade for Cain this offseason. The Brewers might have to pay a portion of his remaining salary to make him more appealing but it would be worth it if we can use the additional savings to sign a middle of the order bat like Kris Bryant or Nick Castellanos, I would then be comfortable starting Taylor in CF with JBJ being his primary back up.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 14, 2021, 6:07 AM Post
bdpecore said:
I’m hoping there will be a team in need of a starting CF who is willing to trade for Cain this offseason. The Brewers might have to pay a portion of his remaining salary to make him more appealing but it would be worth it if we can use the additional savings to sign a middle of the order bat like Kris Bryant or Nick Castellanos, I would then be comfortable starting Taylor in CF with JBJ being his primary back up.

Cain spent a lot of time on the Injured List in 2021, but when he played he was fine. The Brewers don’t really have a history of paying players to compete against them, and Cain isn’t a total black hole of a player where they should seriously consider it. Rather, like they did with Braun, they should work even harder at keeping Cain healthy in 2022.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 14, 2021, 7:32 AM Post
Jopal78! said:
bdpecore said:

Cain spent a lot of time on the Injured List in 2021, but when he played he was fine. The Brewers don’t really have a history of paying players to compete against them, and Cain isn’t a total black hole of a player where they should seriously consider it. Rather, like they did with Braun, they should work even harder at keeping Cain healthy in 2022.

Definitely. He had a rough first half but a lot of that was due to injury. His second half numbers, especially September, were very good. With his defense and leadership he is an asset. DH should help keep guys a bit more fresh too.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 14, 2021, 8:00 AM Post
Go all in on Freeman or Bryant...

I can dream can't I?

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 14, 2021, 9:12 AM Post
turborickey said:

I can dream can't I?

Bryant does have versatility to play any position which Stearns values...

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 14, 2021, 10:13 AM Post
turborickey said:

I can dream can't I?

I don't see the Braves letting Freeman go and will make him an offer where he will retire in Atlanta.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 14, 2021, 10:20 AM Post
Global Moderator
turborickey said:

I can dream can't I?

Yeah, either of those guys would be sweet.

I don't think Freeman leaves - too much history there. Both sides will give a bit.

Bryant is more likely - and his positional flexibility would be great. And no qualifying offer allowed on him. I think SF steps up and re-signs him - no matter what happens to them in the playoffs. They've got money and the need - and from what I've ready, he's enjoyed his time there. Now, someone could come in and offers an insane contract - but I don't see that as the Brewers.

But it's fun to dream.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 14, 2021, 7:43 PM Post
They need to get middle of the order bats this off-season. Having the DH plus controllable pitching makes it possible if they’re able to spend a bit. That way they could keep their pitching work bract and just add without subtracting. I hope they get one righty and one lefty bat. Rowdy has shown enough to be 1B/DH and likewise for Tyrone Taylor in RF at least part time. Neither are sure things so they should get 2 hitters that can help at DH/1B/OF between them.

Get one from each list (some pair up better than others):
RHB: mark canha, jd Martinez, Castellanos, soler, Avi, mccutchen, Nelson Cruz

LHB:Schwarber, belt, Rizzo,

Eduardo Escobar (switch)

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 15, 2021, 8:01 AM Post
The Brewers highest opening day payroll was 122 million in 2019. Last year it was just under 100 million. They drew 1.8 million in 2021, down from numbers that generally run in the 2.7-2.9 million range. It's a complete uncertainty if attendance will be any better in 2022.

I'd be very surprised if the Brewer's opening day payroll in 2022 would be above 120 million.

Right now I'd project the 2022 roster to have an opening day payroll of 105.5 million, and that is if Garcia's option has converted to a mutual option and he opts out. If Garcia is on the roster, it would put the payroll at an estimated 116 million.

I'd say the most likely outlook is that the Brewers have a top limit of 15 million to spend this off-season. But it's might be just at likely that they only have a few million to play with and, if Garcia is back, they may already be at the limit.

Best guess at payroll is here, post #14-
viewtopic.php?f=63&t=41150

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 15, 2021, 8:38 AM Post
Global Moderator
Devinep said:
They need to get middle of the order bats this off-season. Having the DH plus controllable pitching makes it possible if they’re able to spend a bit. That way they could keep their pitching work bract and just add without subtracting. I hope they get one righty and one lefty bat. Rowdy has shown enough to be 1B/DH and likewise for Tyrone Taylor in RF at least part time. Neither are sure things so they should get 2 hitters that can help at DH/1B/OF between them.

Eduardo Escobar (switch)

Good summation of needs & possible options that might be in the Brewers price range.

I think they'll end up filling one spot via FA and the other via trading some minor league guys.

Don't really see them dealing from the MLB pitching depth at all. Hader is only of interest to a contender & legit MLB bats are more valuable than closers, so I don't see much overlap there.

Also don't see them moving an OF. Yelich has a full NTC, Cain still put up around 2 WAR despite the missed time which is perfectly reasonable for his salary & Bradley only gets paid a lil over 3 million next year with the deferrals so he's not killing the books & who is dealing for him in the first place after last year anyway?

But before any of that we need a new CBA. Gonna be a long, boring offseason that probably won't even get started until sometime next year.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 15, 2021, 10:20 AM Post
Devinep said:

Eduardo Escobar (switch)

I think the playoffs showed they will not try and re-sign Escobar. Castellanos, Martinez, and McCutchen will be out of their price range by a lot. Cruz would only be a possibility if there is a DH. Same with Schwarber who is a butcher in LF and he too will probably be out of their price range. I don't think Canha offers anything more than Taylor and Canha was already making $7M. With arby guys going to cost $18-23M, plus the monstrous increase for Yelich, the payroll is already increasing $30-35M. Signing any of these FAs will take more than a bit of increased spending. IMO a trade may be the only way to help the anemic offense.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 15, 2021, 10:36 AM Post
wntrtxn21 said:

I think the playoffs showed they will not try and re-sign Escobar. Castellanos, Martinez, and McCutchen will be out of their price range by a lot. Cruz would only be a possibility if there is a DH. Same with Schwarber who is a butcher in LF and he too will probably be out of their price range. I don't think Canha offers anything more than Taylor and Canha was already making $7M. With arby guys going to cost $18-23M, plus the monstrous increase for Yelich, the payroll is already increasing $30-35M. Signing any of these FAs will take more than a bit of increased spending. IMO a trade may be the only way to help the anemic offense.

Castellanos and Martinez sure they could be out of the Brewers price range but McCutchen won't be.

This was McCutchen's slash line: .222/.334/.444. I just don't see many teams lining up to give McCutchen anything more than a 1-year prove it veteran deal. So something under $10m a season. McCutchen's defense has also taken a nose dive so not much there in terms of value.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 15, 2021, 10:38 AM Post
nate82 said:
turborickey said:

I can dream can't I?

I don't see the Braves letting Freeman go and will make him an offer where he will retire in Atlanta.

I don't see Freeman seriously entertaining the offer to even leave Atlanta. That relationship is about the equivalent of Yadi/Cardinals.

And McCutchen? How many terrible and old CFers do we need?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 15, 2021, 11:08 AM Post
nate82 said:
wntrtxn21 said:

Castellanos and Martinez sure they could be out of the Brewers price range but McCutchen won't be.

This was McCutchen's slash line: .222/.334/.444. I just don't see many teams lining up to give McCutchen anything more than a 1-year prove it veteran deal. So something under $10m a season. McCutchen's defense has also taken a nose dive so not much there in terms of value.

What does McCutchen have to offer that Tyrone Taylor doesn't?

No way I sign old man McCutchen.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 15, 2021, 11:18 AM Post
MrTPlush said:
And McCutchen? How many terrible and old CFers do we need?

McCutchen is washed up and doesn't provide much if any value. He really shouldn't be an option for the Brewers but if the well dries up and he is still left in free agency he would be someone that the Brewers could afford on a 1-year deal. McCutchen shouldn't cost all that much.

Bryant is the player that fits the best for the Brewers but will the Brewers be able to outbid the Giants for him?

The next best option for the Brewers are Rizzo and Belt. I don't think Castellanos fits for the Brewers as I see him more as a LF than a RF and I don't want to see Yelich playing in RF again. Maybe you could get Castellanos to play 1B but that is really his only position that I would feel comfortable having him play defensively unless there is the DH in the NL next year.

I could see the Brewers going very expensive with Bryant but I think realistically the Brewers go with one or two year options. So I think that eliminates Castellanos, Bryant and others. I think Rizzo and Belt are possibilities on one or two year deals. I think the Brewers if they do add someone it will be by a trade and not through free agency at least I am not expecting any major signings this off season.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next  [ 187 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply