LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 93 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Upcoming Free Agents

Offline  Re: Upcoming Free Agents

Posted: August 30, 2021, 10:20 AM Post
Roderick said:
I would package the three arby years of Lauer with Cain and his $18M for 2022 to clear his contract. Figure Cain could get a one year $8M contract on the free market. So are three arby years of Lauer worth more or less than $10M?

I figure Ashby will get the fifth spot. With Small being the guy to be getting ready in AAA. Lindblom as longman.

That gives me money to roll the dice on giving Garcia a QO. If he takes it, we can afford it. If he doesn't, we get the pick. If Garcia goes somewhere else, we actually need to find an OF.

Depending on how Garcia situation plays out, will kind of dictate if we try to retain Escobar. I would prefer to slightly overpay one year, versus doing a two year contract.

If the scenario is all the OF come back, I would try to move Yelich to 1B (to at least be ready even if Tellez is doing okay) and we wouldn't have the money to retain Escobar, so Urias gets 3B.

Back in 2015 the DBacks traded their 1st round pick Toussant to get rid of the $9.5M Arroyo contract. That is the last time I have heard of a trade to dump a contract like I'm proposing. So probably isn't the way to go if I am replicating strategy from Dave Stewart. [laughing]

I would forget Garcia and try to retain Escobar. Taylor is ready to step up and play RF. I don't know about your Cain/Lauer thing, but any money targeted for Garcia could go towards keeping Escobar with a 3 year deal. Switch hitting 3B with power and RBI producers are hard to come by. If they can't re-sign Escobar, then Urias is the 3B by default. Either way Urias gets plenty of playing time if there is a DH next year. Everybody in the inf. could get a day off and DH that day. No way I would move Yelich anywhere. Yelich, Cain (assuming he isn't traded), Taylor with JBJ and Pederson as the backups. Tellez is doing better than expected and isn't bad with the glove at 1B. He very well could be the answer at 1B. If they can re-sign Escobar at an affordable price, Stearns has fixed the two black holes the Crew had at 1B/3B.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Upcoming Free Agents

Posted: August 30, 2021, 10:22 AM Post
Global Moderator
Roderick said:
Back in 2015 the DBacks traded their 1st round pick Toussant to get rid of the $9.5M Arroyo contract. That is the last time I have heard of a trade to dump a contract like I'm proposing. So probably isn't the way to go if I am replicating strategy from Dave Stewart. [laughing]

Reds/Dodgers pulled off a salary shuffle back in the 2018/19 offseason that was somewhat similar.

Cincy wanted off Homer Bailey's 28 million so they attached Jeter Downs (later traded in Mookie deal) and Josiah Gray (later traded in Scherzer/Turner deal) to bring back what they viewed as more useful players in the here & now of 2019, Matt Kemp (21.5 million), Yasiel Puig (9.7 million), Alex Wood (9.65 million), Kyle Farmer and 7 million cash to offset salaries.

Dodgers got under the luxury tax & got two prospects back they developed into top 100 guys & later dealt for superstar MLB talent.

Reds went 75-87 with their trio of expensive veteran acquisitions chipping in -0.2 WAR for their 33 million in combined "discounted" salary.

If Scherzer/Turner help the Dodgers to defend their WS title (puke) this low key might be the most important MLB transaction of the last few years.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 30, 2021, 10:59 AM Post
Don't trade away any of our pitching. It is the reason we are winning. Keep pitching. Win games. We will be just fine offensively.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 30, 2021, 11:55 AM Post
Brew4U said:
Don't trade away any of our pitching. It is the reason we are winning. Keep pitching. Win games. We will be just fine offensively.

I admit, putting in Lauer was clickbait. But he was closer to a $10M in value than Turang, who is listed as $21M in value at baseballtradevalues. I would use Turang, and try and get someone decent back.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 30, 2021, 1:13 PM Post
They could see if Garcia would agree to his mutual option for 2022 of $12 million and then give him two year extension beyond that for $35-$38 million. That would bring the total to 3 yrs. $47-50 million that gives team some relief for Cain's final contract year. I don't see him getting 4 years in the open market at age 30. Castellanos got 4 years from the Reds after the 2019 season but he was just turning 28, was coming off an ever better year than Avi is having and had been a bit more consistent over his career.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 31, 2021, 11:41 AM Post
Garcia’s going to probably decline his option and when he does, it will create a third questionable position going into 2022-RF,1B, 3B. Interestingly, the Brewers have SOMETHING in each spot but no sure things. Kris Bryant would be an ideal fit since he can play at any of those spots when needed, but he will be too expensive. I think the best bet would be Eduardo Escobar since he can play 1B and 3B.

Otherwise, Mark Canha would be a good option. He can play 1B or RF depending on who else is playing well enough and would replace Avi as a solid RHB. Maybe they believe enough in Urias/Jace to cover 3B.

Between Taylor, Jace, hopefully a less sucky JBJ, and maybe Mitchell later on, there are plenty of RF options. But Canha would be a good way to hedge betting on Rowdy and those RF options

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 01, 2021, 9:17 AM Post
Canha is an interesting and very realistic option. He'll be 33 in February and won't be expensive, but for that reason Oakland may be able to hold on to him. Between him and Taylor assuming some improvement from Taylor, they might be able to match Garcia/Taylor combo with the added benefit he can spell Tellez vs. LHP.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 01, 2021, 9:35 AM Post
Jorge Soler is another guy who might be a good fit, especially if the NL adopts the DH.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 02, 2021, 6:36 AM Post
JohnBriggs12 said:
Jorge Soler is another guy who might be a good fit, especially if the NL adopts the DH.

Was looking at him for RF but wow are his defensive numbers bad there

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 10, 2021, 12:45 PM Post
Have this SF and Cubs game on in background. Bryant's return to Chi so lots of talk on him. I looked at their finances a bit and I'd definitely have my money on him sticking with SF. Big market team that's spent freely in the past that clears several big contracts in the next two years, two of them in Belt/Longoria at common positions for him. He's originally from LV area so it's close to home. I think SF has new management in recent years so maybe they'll try to manage a bit smarter than past of handing out big contracts, in order to avoid sitting on bad contracts like they have been lately. But I don't know their philosophy and I think KB is only 29, not 32ish.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 13, 2021, 11:11 AM Post
Kris Bryant would be the ideal FA signing for the Brewers I feel; RHH power with a ton of positional flexibility. But I also fully expect him to stay in SF, they have almost no money on the books going foward and have spent a lot in the past. Too rich of a contract for the Brewers to match.

But someone else who seems like a very Stearnsian type of player who might be a bit more affordable is Chris Taylor. Hard to really predict what kind of market he'll have.

That being said, I don't think there will be much money spent in FA by the Brewers unless some money can be offloaded. Yelich's contract kicks in, and the likes of Burnes/Woody/Hader/Adames will all get big arbitration raises. After 2022 I'd expect more money being spent.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 13, 2021, 12:11 PM Post
Global Moderator
I don't think Milwaukee will be playing much in free agency in the offseason due to rising player costs. A quick look at the team salaries shows upwards of $35M+ in raises due.

Yelich's contract goes up from $14M to $26M. Hader, Woodruff, Narvaez, Suter, Peterson and Vogelbach are all due arbitration raises. Urias, Burnes, Lauer, Tellez and Adamas are hitting arby for the first time.

Some of the arby guys won't see much of a raise - but a lot of them will. Hader, Woodruff, Urias, Burnes, Lauer, Narvaez and Adames all should see raises of $2-4M (or more). That's going to add up quick.

None of this takes into account the free agents - Garcia, Pina, Strickland, Boxberger and Escobar.

Perhaps we bump up salaries a lot. Or we trade someone (such as Hader). Or maybe the new CBA improves our buying power. We shall see.

I wouldn't be surprised that any money we do spend is to resign Escobar or Garcia.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 13, 2021, 5:40 AM Post
Global Moderator
I think they have do something semi-significant in free agency, even if it isn’t swimming in the deepest parts of pool.

Free agency is going to be strange this year. The Brewers have shown a willingness to wait out the market. Last year that resulted in Kolten Wong and JBJ, but they were also reportedly very much in on players such as Justin Turner, Marcus Semien, and Eddie Rosario. This year with the new CBA likely pushing back free agency even further, I think there is a good chance it’s more of a mad scramble to sign players than being able to slow play the market over 90-to-120 days.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 13, 2021, 8:01 AM Post
I would love to see a Kris Bryant or Kyle Schwarber with a backloaded deal after Cain and JBJ are off the books in 2023. They are both versatile and can move around the field which is what Stearns loves in his players. The possible addition of the DH in the NL would open up more opportunities as well.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 13, 2021, 8:50 AM Post
jonescm128 said:
I would love to see a Kris Bryant or Kyle Schwarber with a backloaded deal after Cain and JBJ are off the books in 2023. They are both versatile and can move around the field which is what Stearns loves in his players. The possible addition of the DH in the NL would open up more opportunities as well.

Bryant I would understand, and get on board with. But Schwarber to me is the exact type of steaky, slump-finding bat that we should be trying to get away from.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 13, 2021, 9:13 AM Post
Bryant is going to be expensive but I don't think he is out of the Brewers price range especially if they were willing to try and get Turner last offseason. I don't think Bryant gets more than $22m a year especially in the upcoming free agent market where the Yankees are more than likely out and the Dodgers are already set at the positions Bryant plays. That leaves the Giants, Brewers, Mariners and a mystery team competing for Bryant. All it will take is for the Giants to do something crazy and offer Bryant a 7-year $200m contract though I think that is probably out of the question. If the Brewers went out and did a 5-year $110m contract with two option years that would be all of the Brewers offseason budget but possible with the Cain and JBJ coming off the books in 2023. But in 2023 you would have Yelich and Bryant taking up $48m of the Brewers payroll which would be about half of the teams payroll. You would be basically banking on Mitchell, Turang, Urias and others to fill in the rest of the roster in 2023. This is also assuming the Brewers don't extend Woodruff, Burnes or Hader.

Do able but you are putting all of your assets into two players and betting that Mitchell and Turang turn into All Star caliber players.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 13, 2021, 11:50 AM Post
Ron Robinson's Beard said:
jonescm128 said:

Bryant I would understand, and get on board with. But Schwarber to me is the exact type of steaky, slump-finding bat that we should be trying to get away from.

I don't agree with that. Since 2018 he has a .243/.349/.502 line and that is with a terrible 2020.

He really took it to another level this year .266/.374/.554

Not to mention he is a postseason stud. Over 100 PAs he is currently .294/.406/.588

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Upcoming Free Agents

Posted: October 13, 2021, 11:54 AM Post
Not sure how he could pull it off due to finances, but would love to see Stearns go out and sign a big bat (Bryant) and trade for another to play 1B and 3B. That would be my ideal offseason. Or maybe Stearns can revisit the Reynolds trade with Pittsburgh and bring back Tellez to play 1B and sign a big bat to play 3B. Just something to shake up the offense a bit.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 13, 2021, 12:05 PM Post
An interesting name to watch for a 1-year deal maybe Michael Conforto who didn't have a really good offensive year and he could possibly replace Garcia in RF for about the same price.

The only other option would be Rizzo at 1B but I think there will be more competition for him but I think teams will be looking at 1 or 2-year deals and nothing more than that for him.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 13, 2021, 12:18 PM Post
I do see the appeal for being deep enough that Urias becomes super utility that still gets starter ABs. But with how well he played this year and on D (at 3b) it wouldn't surprise me if they view him as locked in at 3B.

If DH were added though obviously they have to find someone legit. Not another soso mediocre Tellez type. Just hope they're willing to dig deep this year on money if a short term (I agree on Rizzo like nate just said) contract for proven guy is there since they know a ton of money drops off the following offseason. Kind of view it as a one year blip similar to the Grandal/Moose year, the key is the right situation has to come up like it did with those guys. I think Rizzo would make a lot of sense, but I also think Boston/NYY are gonna be in on him.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  [ 93 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply