LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

[ 19 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Renato Nunez as Stopgap RH 1B & 3B

Offline  Renato Nunez as Stopgap RH 1B & 3B

Posted: August 23, 2021, 8:16 PM Post
I’m aware that his MLB stats in 2021 have been terrible … but he may be a good option to sign short-term until Escobar returns from his hamstring injury. He has good power & is adequate defensively.

https://www.milb.com/player/renato-nunez-600524

He’s still fairly young & would be worth a shot … especially if it keeps Huira in Nashville until Spring Training.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Renato Nunez as Stopgap RH 1B & 3B

Posted: August 23, 2021, 9:21 PM Post
He's already accepted a AAA assignment to remain with Detroit.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 23, 2021, 9:49 PM Post
Every team in baseball has had multiple chances to claim him or give him a major league deal over the last almost year and no one has. There's probably a good reason for that.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 24, 2021, 7:09 AM Post
I'd be looking to see if any more teams release veterans to allow them to hook on to contenders. If they are going to, this is the week they would. Asdrubal Cabrera would be a nice addition to replace Escobar.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 25, 2021, 9:53 AM Post
After last year, and the way he started this year, I never thought I'd be saying that I'm going to miss Garcia next year...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 27, 2021, 12:52 PM Post
Reds claimed Cabrera off waivers from D-Backs. I'm guessing Brewers would have taken him but Reds had priority. Could be they grabbed him to block the Brewers? Can't see where he's going to get many AB's for Reds.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Renato Nunez as Stopgap RH 1B & 3B

Posted: August 27, 2021, 4:10 PM Post
JohnBriggs12 said:
Reds claimed Cabrera off waivers from D-Backs. I'm guessing Brewers would have taken him but Reds had priority. Could be they grabbed him to block the Brewers? Can't see where he's going to get many AB's for Reds.

Taking PAs away from Suarez is a net win for the Reds.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 30, 2021, 1:46 PM Post
Brewers Player Development
@BrewersPD
We've signed INF Renato Nunez to a minor league contract and assigned him to
@nashvillesounds

OF Sal Frelick (
@timberrattlers
) and Hedbert Perez (
@carolinamudcats
) are moving on up!

LHP Quintin Torres-Costa & OF Michael Wilson have been released.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 30, 2021, 1:57 PM Post
Nunez is a somewhat interesting bat to add to the system. Only 27 years old, and hit 31 bombs for the Orioles in 2019, and had an .816 OPS last season. Has played 3B, 1B and the corner OF (none of which especially well) in his career.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 30, 2021, 2:50 PM Post
Yea he's a guy I used here and there in fantasy in recent years. With how poor offense was this year and so many people doing poorly I couldn't figure out he was stuck in AAA all year or how someone didn't give a chance at an MLB role to start the year. Looks like he did well at AAA for Det just like you'd expect him to. I'm not saying he's a world beater or anything, but a 250/310 guy with 25 HR isn't a bad player these days, especially considering what we've gotten from 1B this year.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 30, 2021, 3:39 PM Post
Very nice pickup for very little. He was great at AAA this year and maybe has some value for injuries this year or an invite next year.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 30, 2021, 6:44 PM Post
This guy will be batting cleanup for us in the playoffs.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 30, 2021, 7:49 PM Post
Brew4U said:

Not likely unless he is on the 40-man by tomorrow.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 30, 2021, 7:55 PM Post
nate82 said:
Brew4U said:

Not likely unless he is on the 40-man by tomorrow.

Pretty sure they just have to be in the system. Don't necessarily need to be on the 40-man to qualify for postseason play. I could be wrong though.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 30, 2021, 8:01 PM Post
Ron Robinson's Beard said:

Pretty sure they just have to be in the system. Don't necessarily need to be on the 40-man to qualify for postseason play. I could be wrong though.

That was for the 2020 season. For 2021 I believe it goes back to the normal rules.

Postseason Roster Rules & Eligibility
Definition
In a typical season, any player who is on the 40-man roster or 60-day injured list as of 11:59 p.m. ET on Aug. 31 is eligible for the postseason.

Those on the restricted list at that point are also eligible if they haven't been suspended for performance-enhancing drugs during that season. (All players who have served a suspension for PEDs in a given season are ineligible for postseason play that year.)

A player who doesn't meet said criteria for postseason eligibility can still be added to a team's roster in the postseason via petition to the Commissioner's Office if the player was in the organization on Aug. 31 and is replacing someone who is on the injured list and has served the minimum amount of time required for activation. (For example, a player on the 10-day injured list who has been on it for at least 10 days, or a player who has been on the 60-day injured list for at least 60 days.) Players who are acquired in September or after are ineligible.

https://www.mlb.com/glossary/transactio ... ligibility

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 30, 2021, 8:41 PM Post
Either way it was a joke and a reference to Healy a year ago.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 30, 2021, 9:40 PM Post
Global Moderator
Nunez is a somewhat interesting bat to add to the system. Only 27 years old, and hit 31 bombs for the Orioles in 2019, and had an .816 OPS last season. Has played 3B, 1B and the corner OF (none of which especially well) in his career.

Yeah, the Brewers recent trend of acquiring players that have previously flashed some talent and are in the age 26-27 range is one I’m a big fan of continuing.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 31, 2021, 5:47 AM Post
nate82 said:

That was for the 2020 season. For 2021 I believe it goes back to the normal rules.

Postseason Roster Rules & Eligibility
Definition
In a typical season, any player who is on the 40-man roster or 60-day injured list as of 11:59 p.m. ET on Aug. 31 is eligible for the postseason.

Those on the restricted list at that point are also eligible if they haven't been suspended for performance-enhancing drugs during that season. (All players who have served a suspension for PEDs in a given season are ineligible for postseason play that year.)

A player who doesn't meet said criteria for postseason eligibility can still be added to a team's roster in the postseason via petition to the Commissioner's Office if the player was in the organization on Aug. 31 and is replacing someone who is on the injured list and has served the minimum amount of time required for activation. (For example, a player on the 10-day injured list who has been on it for at least 10 days, or a player who has been on the 60-day injured list for at least 60 days.) Players who are acquired in September or after are ineligible.

https://www.mlb.com/glossary/transactio ... ligibility

So basically Nunez IS eligible for postseason play, as he's currently in the system. He'd just need to be replacing an injured player if added to the 40-man roster after today.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 31, 2021, 9:17 PM Post
I love Vogey as a great team character … but he is a duplicate with less ability & defense than Tellez - neither can play anywhere other than 1B

I would much prefer to have Nunez as a true right-handed power option for 1B in September & for the post-season

Quote   Reply 
 [ 19 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply