LambeauLeap1250 WSSP


  
 [ 9 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Minor League OF Roster Crunch

Author Message
Offline  Minor League OF Roster Crunch
#1

Posted: September 13, 2021, 5:16 PM Post
Posts: 2
This is my first post on this forum, but I have been lurking for a few weeks and happy to be here.

Inspired by a discussion in the 9/12 Link Report regarding the amount of OFers that are on the path to be starting next year at AA including:
Carlos Rodriguez, Je'Von Ward, LG Castillo, Joey Wiemer, Joe Gray Jr, Garrett Mitchell, Korry Howell, Tristen Lutz and Jesus Lujano with Sal Frelick likely to be there a little later in the 2022 season if he keeps on this progression path.

I would say that it is highly likely that front office looks to deal at least a little from this group of prospects going into next season. Might be a little bit of a contrarian take, but I would look to capitalize high on the seasons of Wiemer and Gray and swing a deal to try and replenish the pitching depth across the system.

What ideas would others have?


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Minor League OF Roster Crunch
#2

Posted: September 13, 2021, 5:44 PM Post
User avatar
Global Moderator
Posts: 4404
Welcome to the forum.

Dealing from the minor league OF surplus definitely makes sense if Stearns & company look to go the trade route to fill some organizational holes this offseason.

The only pressing need would probably be somebody to replace Garcia if he leaves. 1B would be the other easy spot to upgrade, though it doesn't seem like Stearns & company's MO to give up serious value for a position they haven't typically invested in too heavily.

Pitching at the minor league level could use an infusion too, but prospect for prospect trades are pretty rare so that's probably a longshot.

Here's a name that just popped in my head, Ketel Marte. Arizona is going nowhere, he's a switch hitter with up the middle positional versatility and is on a team friendly extension that pays 8 million in 2022 with 10/12 million team options for 2023/24.

Since 2019 he's posted a 319/375/541 (137 wRC+) line with a 13.9% K rate & tallied 9.5 WAR, 28th best in that span. He wouldn't be cheap, but entering his age 28 season in 2022 lines up nicely with our current MLB core.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Minor League OF Roster Crunch
#3

Posted: September 17, 2021, 12:20 PM Post
Posts: 1514
I don't think Lutz is in the equation anymore. Hope I'm wrong but.......


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Minor League OF Roster Crunch
#4

Posted: September 18, 2021, 1:34 PM Post
Posts: 12888
Just don't trade the guys that you think will emerge as the best of the group. Cain will be gone after next season too. With the salary commitment to Yelich it would be wise to surround him with affordable talent and maybe spend on corner infielders.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Minor League OF Roster Crunch
#5

Posted: September 19, 2021, 5:35 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 7698
I wouldn't say that Rodriguez or Ward, both with OPS's south of .700, deserve to be promoted to AA. At 20 and 21 years old, they can stand to repeat A+.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Minor League OF Roster Crunch
#6

Posted: September 19, 2021, 7:24 PM Post
Posts: 16230
KCBrewerfan34 said:
I don't think Lutz is in the equation anymore. Hope I'm wrong but.......


Wow...dude has been just fine his entire career up until this year. Like 99% of players, he probably isn't in the equation, but kinda harsh on a 22 year old who has had a .755 OPS in his MiLB career.

I remember when people got bored with Trent Grisham...he seems to be turning out okay. Lutz was a HS guy...they can have rocky paths and take awhile to blossom.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Minor League OF Roster Crunch
#7

Posted: September 20, 2021, 11:06 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 1596
Location: Chicago
MrTPlush said:

Wow...dude has been just fine his entire career up until this year. Like 99% of players, he probably isn't in the equation, but kinda harsh on a 22 year old who has had a .755 OPS in his MiLB career.

I remember when people got bored with Trent Grisham...he seems to be turning out okay. Lutz was a HS guy...they can have rocky paths and take awhile to blossom.


Facts are facts though. Lutz has K'd 404 times in 1265 career minor league at bats. His career slugging percentage in the minor leagues is .427.

A minor league outfielder who strikes out 32% of the time and has below average power doesn't have a path to the major leagues. No harm in being patient, but certainly a disappointing career so far for a first round pick.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Minor League OF Roster Crunch
#8

Posted: September 21, 2021, 5:10 PM Post
Posts: 839
Given that we may not be selecting many in-house contracts before the Rule 5 Draft this year (e.g. Korry Howell, max 1-2 others), we’ll likely have a few 40-man roster slots to fill.

I’d expect trades for other teams’ fringe up-and-comers like we did for Mark Mathias and JP Feyereisen, so this AA/A+ outfield pool will be natural to trade from.

Guys like Tristen Lutz or Carlos Rodriguez could be used to fetch slightly better-rated players.

Other players (e.g. LG Castillo, Je’Von Ward, Jesus Lujano) could be swapped for AAAA-type players who’ve been DFA’d (like the Paxton Schultz trade for Derek Fisher).


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Minor League OF Roster Crunch
#9

Posted: September 23, 2021, 11:41 AM Post
Posts: 2290
Jopal78! said:
MrTPlush said:

Wow...dude has been just fine his entire career up until this year. Like 99% of players, he probably isn't in the equation, but kinda harsh on a 22 year old who has had a .755 OPS in his MiLB career.

I remember when people got bored with Trent Grisham...he seems to be turning out okay. Lutz was a HS guy...they can have rocky paths and take awhile to blossom.


Facts are facts though. Lutz has K'd 404 times in 1265 career minor league at bats. His career slugging percentage in the minor leagues is .427.

A minor league outfielder who strikes out 32% of the time and has below average power doesn't have a path to the major leagues. No harm in being patient, but certainly a disappointing career so far for a first round pick.


I've never been impressed with his A / A+ stats.

But, considering he didn't play in 2020, was bumped to AA, who knows how that is going to effect different people, I am willing to give him a mulligan for 2021. 2022 will be the pass/fail.


 Top
 
Quote   Reply 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 [ 9 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
  


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: brewtank34, Devinep, Simba2020 and 18 guests

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search this forum (phpBB search):
Jump to:  
Search entire board (Google search):
Google
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Test