LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  [ 55 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Future 1B Options

Offline  Re: Future 1B Options

Posted: October 08, 2021, 9:19 AM Post
Global Moderator
According to Cots, we have $71,027,000 tied up next year with only Cain, Yelich, Wong, Bradley, and Peralta under contract.

Hader, Woodruff, Narvaez, Suter, Vogelbach, Peterson, Burnes, Tellez, Adames, Urias, Houser, Gustave, and Lauer will all be at some stage of arbitration next year while we'll lose/need to replace Escobar, Norris, Anderson, Pina, Boxberger, and Strickland.

Olson is making $5,000,000 in year one arby, so he'll be in line for big raises over the next two seasons of control.

Financially, we're closer to the point of trading away arby-eligible players for prospects/pre-arby guys, than we are of trading prospects for expensive players.

It's fun to think of how we can keep our team together while adding other stars to the roster. I just don't think it's realistic. We need young, inexpensive guys to fill out the roster in order to be able to afford some of the older, more expensive guys.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Future 1B Options

Posted: October 08, 2021, 9:48 AM Post
I truly think we go into 2022 with Rowdy as our guy at 1B. We made that trade for a reason, and he gave us no reason to think he can't get the job done.

If he doesn't, we'll still have the trade deadline to get a 1B, or maybe Yelich will begin a transition during spring training, getting some reps there as well.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 08, 2021, 7:21 PM Post
turborickey said:
I truly think we go into 2022 with Rowdy as our guy at 1B. We made that trade for a reason, and he gave us no reason to think he can't get the job done.

If he doesn't, we'll still have the trade deadline to get a 1B, or maybe Yelich will begin a transition during spring training, getting some reps there as well.

I agree. And longer term, we have Mitchell, Frelick, Perez, Gray, and Wiemer (and others, such as Howell) coming. Minor leaguers can give you the head fake on being legit, just because there are so many thresholds to cross, and you never know when one of them turns insurmountable for a kid such that he gets stymied. But, out of those five guys, I feel good that you get at least three starting MLB OF'ers. So, Yelich switching to first seems like a solution given his long term contract.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 08, 2021, 7:45 PM Post
Rowdy.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 08, 2021, 8:09 PM Post
StearnsFTW said:

Just curious about the bolded? Why? I think 1B is pretty clearly the biggest need in this organization.

I just don't see 1B as a critical position to find someone to play at. Tellez can hold down the fort at 1B as there are going to be other options that may not even be on the team right now who can put up enough value where trading for someone like Olson or Mountcastle just isn't worth it.

adambr2 said:

Why is it worth it with 3 seasons of control but not 2? He could be a big part of a World Series contender in both '22 and '23 and that has value.

It's great to get controllable assets but not everyone needs 3+ years of control to be worth acquiring. Years of control affects cost and that needs to be part of the equation, too. You won't get a player like Olson for a prospect like Mitchell if he has 3-4 years left of control. Only real way to get guys like that without an enormous offer is to find them before they break out like we did with Adames.

Because you are not giving up as many cost controlled years. At 3-years the value is there to pick up someone like Olson and trade away years of control. The value of trading the years of control you have for someone like Mitchell for 3-years of Mitchell is not as bad as trading away those years for only 2-years of control that extra year has a lot of value.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 08, 2021, 9:13 PM Post
Global Moderator
I would love Olson - he's a great player. But I think the rising cost of players (see the list put together by Monty).

Add in the players it would cost - and it's just not an ideal situation. I'm guessing Olson would cost something like Mitchell, Turang and Houser. Just a rough guess.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 08, 2021, 9:14 PM Post
Global Moderator
monty57 said:
According to Cots, we have $71,027,000 tied up next year with only Cain, Yelich, Wong, Bradley, and Peralta under contract.

Hader, Woodruff, Narvaez, Suter, Vogelbach, Peterson, Burnes, Tellez, Adames, Urias, Houser, Gustave, and Lauer will all be at some stage of arbitration next year while we'll lose/need to replace Escobar, Norris, Anderson, Pina, Boxberger, and Strickland.

Olson is making $5,000,000 in year one arby, so he'll be in line for big raises over the next two seasons of control.

Financially, we're closer to the point of trading away arby-eligible players for prospects/pre-arby guys, than we are of trading prospects for expensive players.

It's fun to think of how we can keep our team together while adding other stars to the roster. I just don't think it's realistic. We need young, inexpensive guys to fill out the roster in order to be able to afford some of the older, more expensive guys.

Forgot about Garcia. We have to replace - or pony up some serious cash to keep - him.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 09, 2021, 7:47 AM Post
I think they let Tyrone take over next year with JBJ as your 4th OF.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 09, 2021, 9:23 AM Post
reillymcshane said:
I would love Olson - he's a great player. But I think the rising cost of players (see the list put together by Monty).

Add in the players it would cost - and it's just not an ideal situation. I'm guessing Olson would cost something like Mitchell, Turang and Houser. Just a rough guess.

If that guess is right (or even close), yeah, I'm out. Easily.

If it's Turang and Tellez and a couple fliers, count me in. The cost is obviously the most important thing.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 09, 2021, 11:45 AM Post
Global Moderator
StearnsFTW said:
reillymcshane said:

If that guess is right (or even close), yeah, I'm out. Easily.

If it's Turang and Tellez and a couple fliers, count me in. The cost is obviously the most important thing.

Maybe I'm wrong on Olson's value. His 2020 was awful - but the abbreviated season was a weird one - and while I won't dismiss it - I won't weigh it that heavily in things.

Otherwise, in his last three full seasons, Olson has averaged 35 HRs and a 4.8 bWAR. BA has been .250-270, plus he takes a healthy number of walks (88 last season). He had the 6th highest OPS+ in all of baseball this past season. While he may not be an elite hitter - he's one of baseball's best. He'll be 28 at the start of next season, so it's a safe bet he keeps up his production. Also, his splits are not too dramatic - .884 vs RHP and .804 vs LHP.

The guy would - to be honest - fit perfectly into our lineup. Left-handed power hitting 1B, solid defender.

I mean - I would ask about him - but I'm guessing the price would be quite high. A couple of back half/borderline Top 100 prospects, plus a solid major league pitcher doesn't seem crazy as a price.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 10, 2021, 8:12 AM Post
Global Moderator
Even as someone who doesn’t care for the Doug Melvin “competitive window cycle” theory for small market teams, I think this off-season is the time to trade the farm for an impact bat or two. I’d like to hang onto Ashby because I’m convinced he’ll be very good in the near future, but I wouldn’t hesitate to trade anyone else in the system for a true middle of the order bat. With the current state of the pitching, the next two years are probably the Brewers best chance at a World Series. With the DH likely coming to the NL, offensive contributors will be even more important.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 10, 2021, 8:24 PM Post
Global Moderator
Eye Black said:
Even as someone who doesn’t care for the Doug Melvin “competitive window cycle” theory for small market teams, I think this off-season is the time to trade the farm for an impact bat or two. I’d like to hang onto Ashby because I’m convinced he’ll be very good in the near future, but I wouldn’t hesitate to trade anyone else in the system for a true middle of the order bat. With the current state of the pitching, the next two years are probably the Brewers best chance at a World Series. With the DH likely coming to the NL, offensive contributors will be even more important.

What kills is Yelich's cratering performance. No doubt the club figured he was that true middle of the order bat for at least a few more years. Just hurts to see him struggling.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 13, 2021, 8:50 AM Post
turborickey said:

Rowdy has absolutely earned a roster spot for 2022 with his play in 2021.

That said, he has a career WAR of 0.7 in over 900 MLB PAs, and even with a nice 2nd half in Milwaukee had a WAR of -0.5 in 2021.

To this point in his career, he is Daniel Vogelbach with better defense. Not to say he can't improve, he's still early in his career and absolutely has shown encouraging stretches. If he's all we can afford given the glut of bad contracts in the outfield...I get it and I wouldn't be terribly upset about it. But I would be actively looking to upgrade the position if possible. I'd be much happier with him as a bench bat than as an everyday starter.

I am not Shea Vucinich

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 13, 2021, 3:18 PM Post
reillymcshane said:
monty57 said:

Forgot about Garcia. We have to replace - or pony up some serious cash to keep - him.

I don't know if I am in the minority but I'd rather he walk. Is he worth $12M? A career year that he may never replicate for a guy with a career .756 OPS. I'd rather give Tyrone Taylor the ABs to see what he can do with regular playing time. Use that money to help cover the arbitration raises.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 13, 2021, 3:21 PM Post
BuckyBrewer61 said:
turborickey said:

Rowdy has absolutely earned a roster spot for 2022 with his play in 2021.

That said, he has a career WAR of 0.7 in over 900 MLB PAs, and even with a nice 2nd half in Milwaukee had a WAR of -0.5 in 2021.

To this point in his career, he is Daniel Vogelbach with better defense. Not to say he can't improve, he's still early in his career and absolutely has shown encouraging stretches. If he's all we can afford given the glut of bad contracts in the outfield...I get it and I wouldn't be terribly upset about it. But I would be actively looking to upgrade the position if possible. I'd be much happier with him as a bench bat than as an everyday starter.

I know this is a 1B thread but I would still be inclined to upgrade our OF, even with all the money tied up there. Do we really want to rely on a Yelich and JBJ rebound and a productive season from a 36 year old Cain?

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  [ 55 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply