LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  [ 333 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

job-seeker contacts/advice

Offline  Re: job-seeker contacts/advice
Posted: April 19, 2016, 8:15 PM Post
Global Moderator
Hey that sounds like you made the right decision. I think it sounds like you are in a solid situation and there is room for you to grow there. Enjoying your job and the people around you is more important than a little extra money. That is always nice but it wears off after a short time and then you are left with day to day frustration (if you take a job just for more money). Some day an opportunity might come a long that is worth the risk, but doesn't seem like this one was. Good luck.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 20, 2016, 11:43 AM Post
I was thinking how much easier it would be to work with a boss who already trusts you and would probably be more flexible in giving you time off work to help with the baby, as opposed to being stressed and sleep-deprived at home with a baby, and then going to work and having to prove yourself all over again there.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: job-seeker contacts/advice
Posted: April 20, 2016, 1:33 PM Post
GAME05 said:
I was thinking how much easier it would be to work with a boss who already trusts you and would probably be more flexible in giving you time off work to help with the baby, as opposed to being stressed and sleep-deprived at home with a baby, and then going to work and having to prove yourself all over again there.

Not to mention possibly having to switch insurance providers and all that fun jazz.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 24, 2016, 4:10 PM Post
Thanks to all for the advice and kind words.

No doubt, the goodwill that I've built up over the past few years factored into my decision to stay put. I have a great relationship with my manager and colleagues and they will likely be a little more understanding of my limited availability this Fall than any potential new team.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 20, 2016, 10:43 AM Post
A job opened up near Boone, NC, the best city in the state. I've always wanted to move to that area. I'd have the job if I applied for it, but it doesn't come with housing. Rent wouldn't allow me to save very much per month. Through benefits, I'll retire with about my current salary+, but that's only getting by. So anything I can save up now represents vacations, buying cars outright, going out, and generally not worrying about money.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 02, 2016, 9:55 PM Post
Has anyone taken a job out of the country? I have been contemplating trying to get a job out of the country in the next couple of years. Anyone have any advice on where to start on this?

I am not sure where I want to go either.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 03, 2016, 12:45 AM Post
My only experiences with it are through a main Parks and Recreation website/job board which was advertising a two-year stint running a pool in the Marshall Islands. They offered to interview via Skype. Not out of the country, but there was a similar one for Assistant Recreation Director in Nome.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 31, 2017, 8:39 AM Post
Been thinking more about transferring to a different park. There's things I like here, though. But I don't appear too popular (work-wise, not personality wise) and I'm a little tired of everyone quickly getting really quiet when I walk into the office.

There's a couple places I've wanted to go to, though they don't have openings often and transferring is based on seniority (and I don't have terribly much). But others open up fairly often and of course they come with their plusses and minuses.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 01, 2017, 10:35 AM Post
Had an interview in order to transfer to a different park. It's actually a demotion but with no pay change. I think my chances are pretty decent, but of course it's not up to me and I don't know a thing about any other applicants.

Every other police department has what's called a Field Training program--you get sworn as an officer, but you assist an experienced officer for a long time to learn the ropes and how to do things. My agency doesn't have that and it's hurt my professional growth. The demotion gives me more immediate supervision, which I believe I will benefit from. Right now I'm in a more independent position, so if I make a mistake it's not noticed and rectified until the proverbial fan gets dirty. And when it's other people having to step in and make the corrections, it's a good time to reassess.

Yesterday, hearing "We tried to tell you to do X, Y and Z, but it didn't get done" cements that a move is a good idea. I don't ignore suggestions, but they either weren't done appropriately or completely (not necessarily related to law enforcement actions), and more immediate supervision should help resolve that.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 20, 2017, 8:14 AM Post
I am entering my 9th year as a teacher, and I saw a job posting at the high school in the city I live in that I would like to apply to. The application requires me to submit three letters of recommendation from supervisors/administrators. How do I go about asking for these letters? I have only worked at one school, but I know a couple of administrators that moved to other districts. Do I ask them for letters? I don't have a lot of options available.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 20, 2017, 8:37 AM Post
Global Moderator
NeedMoreFans - Yes, a lot of letters of recommendation come from people you no longer work with. A lot of scenarios, it's tough to ask for a recommendation letter from your current employer. I would imagine, in your scenario, a current administrator would likely be happy to help you though.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 26, 2017, 5:05 PM Post
I got my transfer. Looks like I'll be moving. This is actually a demotion, but I believe having an additional supervisor will help me in the long run, at least professionally. This park is heavier on search and rescue than law enforcement, such as looking for lost hikers until 2am. More maintenance work, which I like, though more teaching classes, which I won't like.

But a lot of hiking trails around me, which suits me. Currently the best trails are 45 minutes away.

And I'm now 3 hours away from a good friend of mine, as opposed to 6 hours, which should hopefully mean a lot more visits.

Pretty happy. I think this is a good move for me.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 26, 2017, 9:57 PM Post
Global Moderator
Congrats GAME05. I took a step back 6 months ago. I got there and proved myself. A manager left and now I'm back up to where I was at my previous job. You never know what might happen when you work hard.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  [ 333 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply