LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 19  Next  [ 372 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

job-seeker contacts/advice

Offline  Re: job-seeker contacts/advice
Posted: April 06, 2014, 11:11 AM Post
Every year around this time, I check area schools to see if they have any jobs posted that I may be interested in. This past week, the high school in the town I live in posted a job that is very similar to the current job I have, and I am going to apply for it. However, the school district requires applicants to submit three letters of recommendation. My three letters are all five years old, so I should probably get new ones. The problem is I don't necessarily want people in my school to know I am actively looking for a new job. Any suggestions on what do to with the letters of recommendation?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 07, 2014, 7:11 AM Post
Global Moderator
I'd probably be inclined to just use the current letters you have. I don't see a problem with that.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 08, 2014, 12:16 AM Post
I'm going to be laid off in six weeks. the job doesn't start up again until mid-April and unemployment would only pay $100/wk. I could always do McDonalds until it starts up again and skirt by on $2500 in savings (rent is only $300/mo), or move back home (paying to race back should an interview come in).

I'm a fairly qualified candidate for a Park Ranger job, guessing somewhere around 20th in the State based on interviews landed. It shouldn't take forever to land a job, but the competition is tough and dependent on openings, so who knows. Could be a month, could be a year. I currently have about eight applications out right now. If hired, the State would pay for Police Academy along with hourly pay during that time.

The next semester of Academy starts up in January. Out-of-state tuition is $4500 plus whatever incidentals (not sure yet if dorm life is included).

What I'm starting to seriously consider is taking out yet another student loan and paying for Academy myself. I would be busy in the offseason, plus I would have about four months of time to do nothing but work out (the Academy physical requirement is tough). I have been told by a Ranger that having gone through BLET (Academy) and with my strong background, that I would be the #1 candidate out there. Essentially, spending $4500+ would speed up getting hired by some rough guess of months. The theory is that I would recover the tuition+ through being hired full-time at a sooner date.

Not quite sure yet. I'm hoping that the applications out right now are simply being put on hold until the fiscal year ends in September.

The "What's Bugging Me" part: I have a great resume and it's still tough as heck to land this job which doesn't pay well, is inherently dangerous, works weekends and has a terrible work schedule.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 08, 2014, 12:14 PM Post
GAME05 said:

The "What's Bugging Me" part: I have a great resume and it's still tough as heck to land this job which doesn't pay well, is inherently dangerous, works weekends and has a terrible work schedule.

Just curious, but why did you get into it then?

This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 08, 2014, 8:57 PM Post
[smile] that's just the downsides that come out in slight frustration. it's working outdoors, protecting nature, a lot of different roles, and you never know what you'll be doing from one hour to the next. And find the right park and you get to focus on whatever aspect of the job you like the best.

anyway, I talked to a couple Rangers about it today. The boss said he's known people who went to Academy and got hired on right away, though the other said Law Enforcement isn't near as big a focus as Environmental Education. Also dorms aren't paid for with tuition, so we're talking about $7000 to pay for it myself. That's a year+ to recover that cost, and I'm confident I'll have a job before then.

Apparently my 1:4 Interview:Application rate is really good. The boss added that often if you're Top 3 for Position A, then they won't interview you for Position B because a decision hasn't yet been made if you'll be hired for that first position.

Sorry if this ended up being some thinking out loud. I'll talk to a higher-up about it all tomorrow, but I'm thinking my best bet is scraping by at McDonalds for the winter and strengthening my Environmental Ed background (which isn't much of a cost).

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 11, 2014, 3:45 PM Post
Just wanted to note that if you talk to unemployment you may be able to get unemployment while in the academy.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 18, 2014, 3:20 PM Post
Just putting this out there for everyone. I am a Skilled Trades Recruiter and can assist people looking for work. I work in West Allis and have a customer base all over the area. I deal in a little bit of everything; machining, maintenance, shipping, soldering, panel wiring, printing, welding, engineering, quality, and many more positions. if anyone is interested or you happen to know someone looking feel free to pass my name and number along. Matthew 414-921-3158. Thank you

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 22, 2014, 7:18 PM Post
I've hit the point of frustration with my Park Ranger search. I have a very solid resume yet only three interviews this year. The state wants teachers and I'm sorta everything-but. I'll be able to work on a teaching-related certification, but I'm also not so committed to a $32000/year job that I want to devote yet another year when I'm in my late 30s, just scraping by in order to land it.

I'd enjoy working for the Job Service. Resumes and cover letters fit my editing background and I enjoy helping people. But nothing's popped up yet.

I've reached the point (and age) where I just desire a career. Grind out 25 more years staring at a computer screen? fine. Hoping to come across a career-type job which'll hire based on my solid education despite a complete lack of direct experience. I've been looking into energy companies today. But I feel quite lost for just where to look and how to go about doing it.

But good news is my current $7.75 job loves me and I've just been extended through December, so at least now I've got some extra time to look.

My apologies, this was probably more a rant than a question.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 22, 2014, 7:41 PM Post
GAME05 said:
I've hit the point of frustration with my Park Ranger search. I have a very solid resume yet only three interviews this year. The state wants teachers and I'm sorta everything-but. I'll be able to work on a teaching-related certification, but I'm also not so committed to a $32000/year job that I want to devote yet another year when I'm in my late 30s, just scraping by in order to land it.

I'd enjoy working for the Job Service. Resumes and cover letters fit my editing background and I enjoy helping people. But nothing's popped up yet.

I've reached the point (and age) where I just desire a career. Grind out 25 more years staring at a computer screen? fine. Hoping to come across a career-type job which'll hire based on my solid education despite a complete lack of direct experience. I've been looking into energy companies today. But I feel quite lost for just where to look and how to go about doing it.

But good news is my current $7.75 job loves me and I've just been extended through December, so at least now I've got some extra time to look.

My apologies, this was probably more a rant than a question.

Not sure where you live, but have you looked into working in the Dakotas in the oil industry? If you're willing to move you can make some pretty serious money (and have a very good career) out there. Might be something to look into.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 23, 2014, 6:23 AM Post
The answer could always be Alaska. Seasonal employment with the fishing industry, or year round with the pipeline...they both pay very well. Plus there is the dividend to consider. Always could try your luck working at Denali.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 23, 2014, 3:26 PM Post
I'll look into oil stuff again. Can't do CDL driving because of my back and work as a grunt burns people out very quickly. Nice to get some money in my pocket, sure, but then I'm back to where I am now and a year older. So I am focused on career-type work. But I know oilfields do have gauge-watchers and gate-keepers. Lots of competition for those, but once you land one they pay really well. I lived right by a huge shale/oil operation in Texas and one guy told me outer Mongolia has a booming mining industry with jobs that pay gobs of money.

I'm still applying at various parks, and currently seeing if I can slide into the energy industry. And next week I'm hoping to get some appointments with some temp-to-hire agencies. I used to know someone who landed a temp-to-hire data entry job. She absolutely hates the work but is now making $55,000 per year, so she's pretty entrenched.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 19, 2014, 1:10 PM Post
I'm looking to update my resume and apply for some jobs. My problem now is that in between "real" jobs I've worked some part-time jobs that have little to do with anything I'll be applying for. Should I just leave those off my resume so I have room for relevant work or will the gaps make me look like a bad candidate?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 19, 2014, 1:21 PM Post
Global Moderator
You could put a section titled something like "various temporary work" with the date you've been working those. Maybe below put specifics upon request.

This way you are showing that you worked but that you were not job hopping.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 19, 2014, 5:37 PM Post
Me, I wouldn't worry as much about the gaps so that you can squeeze in more work-relevant job duties. May be just me, but I don't think the gaps would shy an employer away from ever interviewing you. When you're qualified for the job, gaps are something more to ask during an interview.

I have plenty of gaps in my resume and I don't get asked about the gaps so much as I get asked why I haven't lasted long-term at any of the positions.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 24, 2014, 8:21 PM Post
Had an interview two weeks ago for a Park Ranger job where I think I was one of only three or four to be interviewed. The city surrounding it is pretty ghetto, but the job represents an ability to save a considerable amount per year. Minus that, my future as a law enforcement ranger is probably done.

But have another interview in a week. What I thought was a basic park maintenance job is more similar to a Ranger job minus the law enforcement and interpretation (teaching). Much more ideal for me. Definitely crossing my fingers on that one.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 25, 2014, 8:58 AM Post

Brewerfan Jedi
Global Moderator
GAME05 said:
Had an interview two weeks ago for a Park Ranger job where I think I was one of only three or four to be interviewed. The city surrounding it is pretty ghetto, but the job represents an ability to save a considerable amount per year. Minus that, my future as a law enforcement ranger is probably done.

But have another interview in a week. What I thought was a basic park maintenance job is more similar to a Ranger job minus the law enforcement and interpretation (teaching). Much more ideal for me. Definitely crossing my fingers on that one.

Good luck, GAME. Sending positive juju your way.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 25, 2014, 11:45 AM Post
Global Moderator
GOOD LUCK!!

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 28, 2014, 7:11 PM Post
I graduated in May with a bachelor's in chemistry and landed a job in my field in June in the area I'm from. Its a really good company and the benefits are great. The pay is a little lower than what I was expecting but is competitive for the area I live. I have a friend who just went out to North Dakota and the money sounds almost too good to pass up. I'm debating leaving the position I just started and going out there for a few years. I could pay off my loans and save up enough to go back for my master's degree in chemical engineering. If I stay where I'm at I don't think I will get an opportunity to go back. I am already in my mid 30's, so if I am going to do this, it will have to be this spring. Just wondering if I should stay at the position I'm in, where there are opportunities to advance but would probably mean moving, which wouldn't bother me. Or should I take a chance and go for the money, with the plan on going back to school. But I will be leaving a position that fits my degree and is a good resume builder. One other possibility is falling into a career in the oil industry with my chemistry background. I would be applying for chemistry jobs there but I have issues with my driver's license at the moment which limits my search. And that problem will not be resolved until May of 2016, which is the biggest reason I have chose to stay in the area I'm in now, but should not be a problem for the roustabout positions in North Dakota. Any advice would be appreciated.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 28, 2014, 7:56 PM Post
my immediate reaction is to worry what would become of not making it in ND, if it turns out you've quit a decent job to last only a month or two up there because of how insanely demanding the work is.

With someone of your intelligence, what about school in petroleum engineering? I looked up a site that said entry-level makes about $90K. For a single guy who keeps eating bologna sandwiches that could mean a lot in the bank.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 28, 2014, 8:11 PM Post
While the money in ND sounds great, they have an issue with housing shortages. A high demand for workers coupled with high wages means any housing that is available is really expensive. There are a lot of stories about workers living in campers because there aren't enough houses to hold all of the workers.

Something else to consider... My dad's company sells valves and regulators to large industry, and they recently opened an office somewhere in ND. He has been told by customers that it makes sense to drill when oil is above $65/barrel. Apparently, yesterday, oil closed at $68/barrel. If low oil prices continue for any length of time, they may slow production up there, reducing the demand for jobs.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 19  Next  [ 372 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply