LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 19  Next  [ 363 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

job-seeker contacts/advice

Offline  Re: job-seeker contacts/advice
Posted: November 28, 2014, 8:37 PM Post
Game, from what my friend has told me I think I can handle the work and the hours, though that is something I worry about. Losing the position I have now is something that sways me to stay too.

MoreFans, My luck would be I'd get out there and they'd be packing it in. I'm not making a decision for a little bit here so I will keep tabs on that. The housing situation is not a concern, as the company I would be working for provides it for me.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 30, 2014, 11:40 PM Post
GAME, I'm wondering if there is something a little "outside-the-box" that would be a good fit for you. Are there any specific areas that you have expertise in that you could possibly do consulting or start your own consulting business? With the amount of emphasis being put on sustainability and environmental impact by companies as a result of regulations and public relations, perhaps someone with your expertise in protecting nature and the environment could be in high demand in the private sector as an environmental consultant. Consulting is something you can do part-time while you do a full-time search.

If you're ok with staring at a computer screen, there are coding "boot camps" that you can learn how to code in a couple of months and have a good shot to land a $60-75K/year programming job in six months or less. Or learn SQL; if you can do SQL queries all day long there will be no shortage of analyst job opportunities for you.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 01, 2014, 6:58 PM Post
LouisEly said:

If you're ok with staring at a computer screen, there are coding "boot camps" that you can learn how to code in a couple of months and have a good shot to land a $60-75K/year programming job in six months or less. Or learn SQL; if you can do SQL queries all day long there will be no shortage of analyst job opportunities for you.

While true there is a high demand for people to do SQL queries I have found that some of the even entry level positions for some strange reason are asking for 3-5 years of experience with SQL queries. Which makes no sense at all as most of the entry level jobs that require SQL are basically a click and run SQL queries that are already made for you.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 02, 2014, 8:25 AM Post
Global Moderator
High risk high reward. If you think you will always regret not going, then go. If you think it will be out of your mind in a few months, then stay.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 02, 2014, 9:09 AM Post
Thanks, LouisEly. I'm confident I'll land something soon enough. Strange it's taken me so long, but I think it's more about the poor choice that Parks&Rec was to study. But opportunities come open here and there and at this point I think I'd like to stick with what I know I'm good at. Being 37 years old has kind of hampered my desire to experiment with careers. Also I'm not good at staring at a computer. Everyone at my current work loves me because I work hard and am good with the customers, so I think that's a good indication that outside work is where I belong.

Apparently a new Director has put a hurry on hiring, so I'll probably hear about a Park Ranger job soon (be it good or bad), and I'm very qualified for an interview I have tomorrow.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 02, 2014, 10:49 AM Post
Global Moderator
Does anyone have contact info for a good recruiter/headhunter? The job I was supposed to start in January fell through and I'm scrambling to find a new gig. I was working in politics but my background is in marketing/non-profit. I have a MBA and I am also swell guy.

"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 18, 2014, 3:55 PM Post
I have a phone interview with our Chamber of Commerce for a job tomorrow. I'm a little but nervous about them asking me about working for the place that refused to pay me - one of the many illegal/unethical things they did. I really have nothing good to say about my time there and especially about the owner himself but he's a Chamber member and has been promoting his new "business" through the Chamber lately and I don't want to speak ill of one of their members. I know it will come up because a lot of the things I would be doing for the Chamber I did at that job.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 18, 2014, 4:49 PM Post
Global Moderator
I would try to keep it general and not get into specifics. Maybe you could say something like, "I didn't feel I was a good fit there because I had different work philosophies than some of the management there, but I did learn some valuable skills that I know would translate well to this position."

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 18, 2014, 6:57 PM Post
Invader3K said:
I would try to keep it general and not get into specifics. Maybe you could say something like, "I didn't feel I was a good fit there because I had different work philosophies than some of the management there, but I did learn some valuable skills that I know would translate well to this position."

In every interview since I've worked there I was asked why I left that place. I'm assuming they will ask me as well, and I'm not trying to be sarcastic, but are you saying I should lie instead of tell the truth that I was let go (because the CEO was using shady accounting practices to make the company look successful to investors until he ran out of money and was eventually sued by multiple people)?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 19, 2014, 1:07 PM Post
jerichoholicninja said:
Invader3K said:

In every interview since I've worked there I was asked why I left that place. I'm assuming they will ask me as well, and I'm not trying to be sarcastic, but are you saying I should lie instead of tell the truth that I was let go (because the CEO was using shady accounting practices to make the company look successful to investors until he ran out of money and was eventually sued by multiple people)?

Saying "The company went out of business" or "I was let go due to budget constraints within the company." is a perfectly acceptable answer to that question. You don't have to delve deeper into it, really.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Twitter: @MKEHiker

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 19, 2014, 1:30 PM Post
I wasn't asked about it during my phone interview today but I have an in-person interview on Monday. We'll see if it comes up then.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 19, 2014, 3:53 PM Post
If it were me, I would have to feel out the interviewer to see how open I would be willing to be. Most importantly, try to be calm and stick to the facts. Acting and sounding emotional, calling him a crook, etc. will make you look bad. (Not that you would do that, just saying.) If he and his company are getting sued a lot, you can look all that up in public records, a lot of it is right out there on the internet.

How about something like "I know rule #1 in interviewing is to never say bad things about your former employer. But in my case, certain things happened that just can't be ignored. " I think you can get away with telling the truth. I mean, look at former Enron employees, they have valid reasons to say their former employer acted unethically. The whole key is to not sound bitter, and even talk about all the things you liked about the place, and more importantly all the great work you did.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 22, 2014, 6:30 PM Post
Where was the advice about filling out a resume? I have never had to make one and after 19 years at the same job have no experience at interviewing. In fact I have to say that I have never in my life had a job interview where the interview actually mattered.

Fan is short for fanatic.
I blame Wang.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 22, 2014, 8:15 PM Post
Had a final interview 12 days ago against just one other candidate. I'm very overqualified and almost all of the interview questions reflected that. They're understandably nervous that I'd be one to quit after just a few months of working, so it looks like their decision will be based on that.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 05, 2015, 9:57 AM Post
Nope, didn't get the job. A friend of mine is going to be an insurance claims adjuster. I guess it's a four-day class then you pay the fee to get licensed, then you apply to the insurance companies. He says the work pays ok and as an independent it can pay a lot.

I keep thinking that if I stayed another summer as a low rung I could be a Park Ranger, but the job pays $32K, almost never gives raises, rotating shifts, weekend work...Maybe the negatives are just too much that something else would be a better idea.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 09, 2015, 8:51 AM Post
Global Moderator
Game05, sorry the job didn't work out. Not sure of specific advice, but planning on a career making around 30k a year doesn't sound like a great option.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 19, 2015, 10:13 AM Post
Hello Brewerfan folks.

I think it's wonderful that there is a forum here to help look out for each other regarding job advice.

I could use some assistance in my job search. I have around 18 years of experience working primarily as either a mortgage loan officer or branch manager for broker firms.

I want to break free from broker firms and work with a company or bank where I can really grow roots or make a switch to financial planning, where I have previous experience.

Unfortunately, my life path does not include a Bachelor's Degree. I do have some college, that was geared toward a broadcasting degree. That led to some work in radio in all facets of the profession.

I am a young 45 year-old guy, who can still play center field and hit lead off for my wood bat baseball league and have a lot of experience as an umpire and referee in other sports.

My resume' looks rough because of many brokerages closing during the "housing bubble burst" and that has led to many banks not allowing me an opportunity to show what I can do.

My passion is to help people accomplish their financial goals and I would be a good fit for a company where I can utilize that passion with the skill set I have.

I apologize if this is too lengthy.

Kind Regards,

thumperden

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 30, 2015, 9:18 PM Post
thumperden said:

I want to break free from broker firms and work with a company or bank where I can really grow roots or make a switch to financial planning, where I have previous experience.

thumperden

I have some experience working in financial services. I presently work as a statistician for a large regional bank, but my first job out of college was a sales role with a large insurer. I actually enjoyed the work quite a bit, but I found working on straight commission to be difficult for an aspiring family man. I followed my supervisor at the insurance company to the operations department of the bank where I presently work.

The role of a "financial adviser" is typically sales-oriented. It's actually quite easy to break into the profession, but much more difficult to enjoy sustained success (that requires networking, prospecting, studying, and a bit of luck). You're resume doesn't have to be perfect, either. Most companies just want to know that they are hiring a decent man or woman with an excellent personality and work ethic.

No doubt, it's a difficult path; however, I have a few former colleagues who absolutely enjoy their work (and are well compensated). I'd encourage you to pursue this route. Start out my submitting your resume to some of the larger insurance companies or broker-dealers like Northwestern Mutual, Thrivent Financial, or Edward Jones. As long as your resume is clean, I can all but guarantee that you'll get a hit. The industry experiences high turnover and recruiters are always looking for new advisers.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 04, 2015, 7:06 PM Post
Go figure. So I just accepted a conditional offer to a law enforcement Park Ranger position. It'll take 4-6 weeks of paperwork and background investigation and then Police Academy (which I assume is exactly like the movie) before the "conditional" goes away. I can't pretend I've been a choir boy, but I've admitted my worst crime to an officer I work with and he said "You should be ok."

Downsides to this job like any other, but I considered my next-best option was being almost 40 years old and selling tickets to take boats on a lake.

Anyway, you've all been patient with my whining over the years, a couple of you in particular. So thanks for putting up with me.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 04, 2015, 8:29 PM Post
Global Moderator
Congrats, Game. Hope it all works out for you.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 19  Next  [ 363 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply