LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 37  Next  [ 727 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Random thoughts that are pointless and too dumb to say anywhere else thread: 2015–2018 (plus one)

Offline  Re: Random thoughts that are pointless and too dumb to say anywhere else thread: 2015–16
Posted: July 11, 2018, 3:56 PM Post
I'll bet she still is a millennial. [tongue]

Offline  Re: Random thoughts that are pointless and too dumb to say anywhere else thread: 2015–16
Posted: July 12, 2018, 3:38 PM Post

Brewerfan Staff
Board Administrator
nodakfan17 said:
My summer intern was watching a World Cup match on his phone yesterday while at his desk. Is that still taboo? I personally wouldn’t do it, but in this day and age, I feel like it might almost be acceptable. There’s an expectation in my office that we must be available on some nights and weekends to work on certain key projects, so the boundaries of traditional 8-5 schedule have been blurred.

This has been an issue at my library checkout desk for quite a while, because (1) unfiltered internet is necessary for our work and so literally at our fingertips, and (2) my employees are all college students for whom online multitasking is second nature.

I decided years ago to not try to ban the use of "personal" internet at the desk. I can't enforce it (if I had time to, I'd be staffing the circulation desk myself) and I won't pretend I never peek at Gmail or Twitter or BF.net or listen (with earbuds) to a day game.

Instead, I tell them that judicious personal use is okay, if they limit it to the approximate amount of time they'd otherwise use on a break. I ask them to avoid image-rich sites (**story below) and to not use their own devices. Audio is out at the front desk because it's a library. If it's a football Saturday, they can keep a window open with the score of the big game. Stuff like that.

Honestly, since some of the projects I make my students work on are pretty tedious, once their eyes start to glaze over I'd rather they stopped for a few minutes to check their email or whatever.

It seems to work okay. I used to ask that they keep phones off while on desk duty, but since text alerts are how the university delivers emergency messages (like a threat outside), I altered that rule to phones on silent while on desk duty.

**Story: One of my students in the early 2000s decided to spend an evening perusing the Lands End website for new swim trunks. Lands End is not a racy website by any stretch of the imagination, but it took just one person walking by who happened to notice topless men on a screen, and confusion ensued. Thankfully it was easily cleared up.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Posted: July 13, 2018, 3:37 PM Post
Honestly, since some of the projects I make my students work on are pretty tedious, once their eyes start to glaze over I'd rather they stopped for a few minutes to check their email or whatever.

Ditto for us. We employ mostly teenagers and college age kids. We ask them to work the shop alone and give them projects to do that can sometimes be tedious. As long as the projects we give them are done on time and correctly I don't mind. The only other demand is they have to be responsive to the customers when they come in. Don't act out out or ignore them while you finish your tweet. In some ways I think it can help them when a job demands they pay attention but is really boring work.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Online  Re: Random thoughts that are pointless and too dumb to say anywhere else thread: 2015–16
Posted: July 13, 2018, 10:02 PM Post
Whenever I read Brice Turang’s name, in my head I read it in Lurch’s voice. “Tuuraaang?”

Posted: July 17, 2018, 11:01 AM Post
If a Packer fan owns a Brett Favre Vikings jersey, are they still a Packer fan? Jets jersey? Fine. Vikings jersey? C’mon.

Posted: July 17, 2018, 9:53 PM Post
Global Moderator
How did Mike Zagurski ever get back to the majors? I still can't figure that out. There was no one better than this guy?

Weird.

Posted: July 19, 2018, 11:05 AM Post

Brewerfan Staff
Board Administrator
reillymcshane said:
How did Mike Zagurski ever get back to the majors? I still can't figure that out. There was no one better than this guy?

Weird.

For the first appearance, I could accept that maybe he was the freshest arm available that day, or someone detected a matchup advantage or something. (I don't know how you would do that for a reliever, but maybe there was some perceived strategic plus.)

Why he stayed beyond the first appearance was the mystery to me.

Posted: July 20, 2018, 8:58 AM Post
Does anyone own a ventless dryer? If so, how satisfied are you with it and how does drying time compare to a vented dryer? I understand that it's nice that you no longer have to worry about lint building up and a potential fire risk in the vent (along with better insulation and one fewer way for water and pests to get into the house), but there's a limit as to how long I'll tolerate a long drying time.

Have a rather small laundry closet that can't be expanded without major renovations (if it can be expanded at all) and the ventless dryers are the only ones I can find in the smaller size.

Online  Re: Random thoughts that are pointless and too dumb to say anywhere else thread: 2015–16
Posted: July 20, 2018, 12:27 PM Post
LouisEly said:
Does anyone own a ventless dryer? If so, how satisfied are you with it and how does drying time compare to a vented dryer? I understand that it's nice that you no longer have to worry about lint building up and a potential fire risk in the vent (along with better insulation and one fewer way for water and pests to get into the house), but there's a limit as to how long I'll tolerate a long drying time.

Have a rather small laundry closet that can't be expanded without major renovations (if it can be expanded at all) and the ventless dryers are the only ones I can find in the smaller size.

watching this for replies, I had no idea there was even such a thing as ventless dryers.

Posted: July 21, 2018, 11:57 AM Post
LouisEly said:

I asked my bother who's an appliance guy about this a few years back when I was looking for a new dryer. So it's second hand information and the technology no doubt got better but he said it takes a long time to dry. As in hours if you have a full dryer or heavy blankets. You also will need to have a drain nearby or empty a water tray after every load. But they do work if there is no other choice.

Posted: July 25, 2018, 9:03 AM Post
We have two compost piles in our garden. Been doing it for about 5 years. It's 95% yard waste and the rest is food scraps (vegetables, fruits, breads, coffee grounds, no meat). Every spring and fall I get very nice black dirt from it. Monday I started taking the un-decomposed stuff from the full pile and to start the new one. Never before have I had a smell issue with the piles but the middle of the old pile reeks of the most vile and disgusting smell. Depending in the wind you can actually smell it in other parts of the neighborhood.

As I was digging it up I got to a solid 1 inch thick layer of wet leaves. Underneath was perfectly dry, brown grass from when I cleaned the lawn in spring. My only guess is that the wet leaves formed a seal and prevented any air from getting underneath so it's just been stagnant moisture sitting on the bottom for the last three months. It's been baking in the sun for 3 days now but it still stinks.

Posted: August 20, 2018, 11:11 AM Post
Flipping around the channels on Saturday and caught the last half of taxi-driver, which isn't on TV that often (I think it was on WGN - and kind of odd programming for a Saturday morning). Have not seen it for a while. The sound track for that film always brings me back to the early 80's when we first got cable and we had HBO and Showtime (back when those channels were basically included with cable). They would occasionally show films like Taxi-Driver, Manhattan, Pope of Greenwich Village, Night Shift. Those types of movies, that are not shown that often, are like instant time transporters for me when I happen to stumble upon them.

Posted: August 26, 2018, 12:16 PM Post
Global Moderator
This is pretty funny: https://sontlive.com/listen-to-the-anno ... ball-game/

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Posted: August 26, 2018, 1:02 PM Post
I love how after the video it says "Now we can say the announcers are a bit being grumpy old men. But they might have a point." Yes, indeed they might.

Posted: August 28, 2018, 12:09 PM Post
First time actually serving jury duty and I'm already amazed at the number of disgruntled,angry people. Yes, it might mean missing work, (myself included) but it doesn't mean you get to be a jerk to everybody else. That being said, since I am here I do wish I will get selected to be on a jury.

Posted: August 29, 2018, 3:11 PM Post
Does anyone else stay awake at night wondering where Clark Kent changes into Superman these days?

Posted: August 30, 2018, 9:45 PM Post

Brewerfan Staff
Board Administrator
Thurston Fluff said:
Does anyone else stay awake at night wondering where Clark Kent changes into Superman these days?

It's the 21st century. He probably does it digitally. [smile]

Posted: August 31, 2018, 8:44 AM Post

Brewerfan Staff
Board Administrator
Different post for a different random thought. Later this morning, I'm conducting my first student interview for someone born in 2000.
I knew it was coming because that's my oldest nephew's birth year and he is just starting college, but I'm enjoying telling other people and watching them react.

Posted: August 31, 2018, 10:33 AM Post
Different post for a different random thought. Later this morning, I'm conducting my first student interview for someone born in 2000.
I knew it was coming because that's my oldest nephew's birth year and he is just starting college, but I'm enjoying telling other people and watching them react.

Similarly, I teach mostly high school juniors and all of them were born after 9/11.

Posted: August 31, 2018, 10:40 AM Post
I watch Brewers games on Fox Sports Go...

Caramel!!!! Outrageous!!!!!

Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 37  Next  [ 727 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply