LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next  [ 222 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Star Wars (SPOILERS LIVE HERE)

Online  Re: Star Wars (SPOILERS LIVE HERE)
Posted: December 23, 2019, 6:04 PM Post
Like I said I'm not a huge fan, but when Rey put the lightsaber behind her and Kylo grabbed it, I thought that was one of the coolest moments in the franchise.

My biggest gripe was Palpatine spelling out everything very slowly. "She will stab me with the saber. The ceremony will begin. I will eat a double cheeseburger" etc.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Star Wars (SPOILERS LIVE HERE)
Posted: December 24, 2019, 12:35 PM Post
I feel as though if I sit down and watch the original trilogy (IV-VI) then I can see the entire story unfold and truly watch as Luke grows from point A to point B to point C.

VII to IX, feels like 3 completely different stories, completely disjointed without any overarching story or plot points. The movies just happen to have the same actors. Does that make sense?

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Twitter: @MKEHiker

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 26, 2019, 7:19 AM Post
Global Moderator
We saw Rise of Skywalker last night. My eight year old son thought it was great. Would I put it in the category of one of the best Star Wars films? Nope, but I still thought it was a good Star Wars movie that tied together all three films fairly nicely.

I agree with some earlier comments that there could have been more explanations for some of the plot turns. The Knights of Ren (whoever they are) just kind of show up with Kylo, and it barely gets a nod and shrug for the entire movie. Also didn't care for the fact they shoehorned in a couple new characters but didn't really build them into anything too meaningful (though the awkward moment between Poe and the masked female at the end gave me a good laugh).

As far as doing things with other villains, the Hux plot turn was definitely a surprise, but then he gets casually offed in like the very next scene. Didn't care for that too much.

The final space battle felt a bit rushed ("Oh, they disabled that one transmitter tower thing, now we just have to go to this other thing on this ship and use a small bomb to disable it...). All the ships showing up to save the day was a pretty cool visual though, and I was glad they brought Lando back to do something.

As far as Palpatine, I actually liked his return. It tied together all nine films, and he actually is a very good villain. So overall, as a long time Star Wars fan, I was happy with the movie.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 26, 2019, 10:33 PM Post
Global Moderator
I am a Star Wars fan - seen everyone of the movies (except Solo) in the theater.

Saw Rise of Skywalker the other day and liked the movie. Is it great? No. But it was good, and definitely worth seeing for fans of the series.

The film jerks around too much from place to place at times, but otherwise, my wife, son and i just had a fun time. There were a lot of nice moments, and it avoided the really bad decisions that plagued Last Jedi. There were a lot of nods to the older films, which was fun without going over the top. I also liked that (unlike Force Awakens) the film was fairly original. For the most part, I was satisfied with how things wrapped up.

With a franchise that is so massive it is easy to nitpick the film (and the series) to death. Are there things I wish they had done (or not done)? Sure. But as I said, I had fun at the film - which is what I wanted from Star Wars.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 26, 2019, 10:40 PM Post
Saw it today, loved it!

I don't pick apart every little thing in the SW series.

If I enjoyed it, and it entertained me, I like it, simple as that!

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Quote   Reply 
Posted: December 27, 2019, 12:29 PM Post

Tom Petty Apologist
Saw Episode 9 on Xmas Eve. I like/enjoy Star Wars, but I am not a crazy fan. My overall take on 9 was that it was good, leaning toward okay, but good. To me the movie was boring, but the ending was satisfying enough. I agree that the entire 7-9 trilogy would have been better had one person written the entire thing, but each episode was enjoyable enough on their own.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 05, 2020, 5:07 PM Post
I thought it was pretty good. Have of it had to be used to essentially hit the undo button on Last Jedi, which just messed up any chance the trilogy as a whole had of being good, so about the best you could ask for. I'm curious if the rumors of JJ Abrams' 3 hour long cut are true. All of the supposed leaked details sound great, though I doubt we'll ever get to see it.

The Mandalorian, on the other hand, was fantastic.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 05, 2020, 8:48 PM Post
Global Moderator
folly412 said:

The Mandalorian, on the other hand, was fantastic.

I enjoyed the Madalorian as well. Very good show.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 06, 2020, 9:44 PM Post
Finally saw it. I agree that the beginning was a little disjunct with Kylo chasing Rey all over the place. However, it planted enough seeds for the second half of the movie...

Like the Wayfinder (holycron) which ties into Star Wars Rebels...

Like Rey pulling down the ship -- like Force Unleashed...

One thing that Abrams does better than any director I have seen is the ship to ship combat. The little shakes as the "camera tries to follow the ships" is very cool. He did the same thing when directing Star Trek.

Plenty of symbolism (thank you to the class at UW Madison for seeing more of that... I suppose). Like another poster said, there were plenty of tears, too.

I really liked it. One of my favorites... and I saw episode 4 when I was 8, so it has been a lifetime investment... [rolling eyes]

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 07, 2020, 8:45 AM Post
I also saw RISE OF SKYWALKER and enjoyed the film.

The ridiculous thing about the 7-9 "trilogy" is that Abrams Episode 7- THE FORCE AWAKENS was a complete fan service setup for episodes 8 and 9. Rian Johnson was handed the reins to Episode 8- THE LAST JEDI and COMPLETELY ignored not only the setup of Episode 7 but also pretty much everything in LUCAS' Episodes 1-6 as well. Nearly ruined the entire legacy of the franchise.

The awesome part of EP 9 and that I can't even believe that Abrams was bascially able to pull off, is that JJ returned the favor by ignoring everything Johnson did in EP 8 (besides disgracing and killing off Luke Skywalker). I didn't think it was possible, but he pretty much pulled it off. Gotta give him credit for that. EP 9 is also packed with plenty of Star Wars fan service, as well as being action packed, full throttle entertainment. I also liked how he ended the SAGA, which was a huge responsibility that he could have really messed up IMO.

I don't know what the hell Disney was thinking with their original plan to let different people control each of the EPISODES 7,8, and 9 without prior coordination. They needed to use more of LUCAS' original ideas and have the entire final Trilogy planned out in advance of production. The fact that they never even had a reunion of Han, Luke Leia and Chewy in the final Trilogy is a travesty IMO.

In hindsight, Disney should have given control of the entire final Trilogy to Jon Favreau (director of THE MANDOLORIAN).

THE MANOLORIAN'S first season is fantastic BTW. It captures the real STAR WARS magic of mystique and humor, with great characters, dialogue and atmosphere development.

I have spoken.

Youtube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC42UlEqaIRsK4SCoIMoajvQ/videos?disable_polymer=1
Twitter
https://twitter.com/brewcrewreview1
Podbean
https://brewcrewreview.podbean.com/

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 07, 2020, 8:53 AM Post
There is a whole conspiracy out there about this whole thing, that Disney just milked the thing for $ and nothing else and sabotaged JJ because there are rumblings of him doing a bunch of DC films. That is the threat to their Marvel golden calf at the moment.

I'm basically the most anti conspiracy person there is, but when you start reading it all makes sense and is oddly specific. He apparently cringed when he saw the "they can fly now?" scene, it was only added to the film to sell flying stormtrooper toys. There are a bunch of deleted scenes that IMO make this movie better, because it has a LOT of unexplained plot holes and random things that just don't make sense. I was entertained by it and would say it was "fine" but sloppy is also a word that comes to mind.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 07, 2020, 11:52 AM Post
I don't know if they would sabotage JJ when they spent so much money on Star Wars but do agree it was a mess that didn't make a lot of sense with tons of plot holes. Really the worst of the new movies by quite a bit including the one offs like Rogue One and Solo.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 07, 2020, 11:55 AM Post
The they can fly now I found as dumb as they could always do that. Going back to the clone wars series some of the clones could use a jet pack.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 07, 2020, 11:55 AM Post
Global Moderator
OldSchoolSnapper said:
There is a whole conspiracy out there about this whole thing, that Disney just milked the thing for $ and nothing else and sabotaged JJ because there are rumblings of him doing a bunch of DC films. That is the threat to their Marvel golden calf at the moment.

I'm basically the most anti conspiracy person there is, but when you start reading it all makes sense and is oddly specific. He apparently cringed when he saw the "they can fly now?" scene, it was only added to the film to sell flying stormtrooper toys. There are a bunch of deleted scenes that IMO make this movie better, because it has a LOT of unexplained plot holes and random things that just don't make sense. I was entertained by it and would say it was "fine" but sloppy is also a word that comes to mind.

Yeah, the young black girl is confirmed to be Lando's daughter, but it's never mentioned in the film. There's a lot of things in Star Wars, especially this trilogy that get confirmed in the novels and comics. I shouldn't have to consume the other media to understand what's going on. Now.... that being said, the movies were fine as a stand-alone, but there are gaps and little things that don't make sense unless you read the novels and comics.

It's the same for other properties as well. I watched the first season of the Witcher on Netflix, and was somewhat confused, and someone told me "if you don't read the book or play the video game you won't get it". I shouldn't have to! Each "thing" should stand on its own. It's cool if they tie in to each other, but if I can't read/watch/play one without needing to watch or read the others, they're poorly written.

If that girl is Lando's daughter, it should be mentioned in the movie. Having the director tell us in an interview after the fact is poor writing. Having it be part of a story line of a comic or tie-in novel is just merchandising that I don't want to be part of. And poor writing.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 07, 2020, 12:31 PM Post
RoCoBrewfan said:
If that girl is Lando's daughter, it should be mentioned in the movie. Having the director tell us in an interview after the fact is poor writing. Having it be part of a story line of a comic or tie-in novel is just merchandising that I don't want to be part of. And poor writing.

I agree that the directory shouldn't have said it in an interview. Leaving it out of the movie was the right call IMHO. While there were a lot of new characters introduced, I would have been very upset if they showed a flow chart during the movie saying, "Lando begat Janna, and Poe wanted to begat with Zorri..."

I want new story lines. I want to have items in this movie that can be built upon. If Disney makes money off of it, then great... as long as they tell good stories.

This is the way.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 07, 2020, 12:47 PM Post
nate82 said:
The they can fly now I found as dumb as they could always do that. Going back to the clone wars series some of the clones could use a jet pack.

John Boyega pointed this out on Twitter or Insta or some other site I'm not on. He's had some interesting posts lately.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 07, 2020, 12:50 PM Post
Lando's daughter is in fact one of the cut components of JJ's version, allegedly. As is Finn point blank saying he has force sensory, Ben actually speaks at the end, and some of other stuff I don't remember regarding the Knights of Ren. Basically, a lot of the stupid holes are supposedly filled in during the extended cut.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 07, 2020, 1:07 PM Post
Wouldn’t surprise me if Disney plans to release this “Directors cut” of EP 9 on their streaming service later this year. Probably another hype marketing ploy. Disney is gonna continue to milk this Star Wars cow for every drop from here until eternity.

Youtube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC42UlEqaIRsK4SCoIMoajvQ/videos?disable_polymer=1
Twitter
https://twitter.com/brewcrewreview1
Podbean
https://brewcrewreview.podbean.com/

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 07, 2020, 1:09 PM Post
I can't see that happening because it would just make them look that much worse if it's true and a clearly better movie. It seems more likely they just plop out another set of films (they are, 2022) and learn from how badly they mangled this one. They did mess this up, but for the most part, the content is usually pretty good. They didn't get where they are by sucking.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: January 07, 2020, 2:31 PM Post
Outlander said:
It was certainly a mistake not to have a general plan from the start. Would have liked Johnson to finish things up or JJ do all three. It just didn't work going from JJ to Johnson and back to JJ. They both kind of just dismissed or threw out what they didn't like about the other's creation. Having the Emperor come back didn't work at all and made no sense but when Snoke was killed JJ probably felt he needed that big bad guy. Do think the chemistry between Rey/ Finn/Poe was always there and much better than Anakin/Padme/Kenobi from the prequels. Also was nice to see Chewbacca and C-3PO play a decent role in ROS.

I think your first statement hits the nail on the head. For all the flak Lucas gets (and rightfully so, IMO) he at least had a relatively clear plan after New Hope. I thought EP 9 was the best of the sequel trilogy but I think the biggest mistake was splitting up the directorship.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next  [ 222 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply