LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  [ 48 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Sling TV & Cord Cutting

Offline  Re: Sling TV & Cord Cutting

Posted: August 21, 2017, 1:20 PM Post
brewcrew79 said:
Downloaded the FoxSportsGo app downstairs on my Sony smart TV and yes, I'm watching the Brewers replay right now! Still would be nice to have it all in one interface in the PS Vue, but I'll deal with it for now.

Wow PS Vue has local channels in Milwaukee? That's awesome, really wish the Green Bay stations would have that...unless I haven't found them yet or it's not working properly. I might have to do a support chat with Playstation and find out.

Interesting. I have PS Vue (La Crosse), and I get both FSWI and FSNorth (Twins/TWolves). PSVue for me is $35 with the FoxSports channels, MLB Network, NFL Network, NBA, BTN, etc. And you can add RedZone for something like $40. I also have it set to record every Brewers game in case I am busy doing something else. Cannot be happier having PS Vue.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 21, 2017, 3:57 PM Post
Personally I love the ability to cancel online service whenever I want for whatever reason. Some months I will have Sling, some not, Some months Netflix, some Hulu or WWE network. It all depends on what I want to watch, how much time I have and what offers these companies are giving me to come back. Plus I don't have to pay cable's monthly fee for HD boxes, remotes, FCC charges and the like. It was always a pain to cancel cable as well, with these streaming services it is just a click of the button. My antenna picks up the local stations great too.

Last edited by Outlander on August 21, 2017, 3:58 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 21, 2017, 3:57 PM Post

Tom Petty Apologist
MrAllen said:
logan82 said:
I get the internet, Netflix, and Amazon Prime anyway. Those things in my opinion are a wash and while they are replacements for cable, I wouldn't count them as part of the cost of replacing cable. For me it would be the cost of cable vs Hulu and Sling. If I had cable I would still need an internet connection. I would also still subscribe to Amazon Prime and Netflix.

True, however, it's really cable/internet combo package cost - internet only cost vs Hulu and Sling, which often is only like $5-10 per month. In fact, when I tried to cut cable recently, they offered me the combo deal for less than the internet only deal I was aiming to get. Of course, that's pretty limited cable (although mine still included HBO and all the OnDemand content that comes with that) and it starts to rack back up if you start adding HD boxes and more channels, but if you're already getting internet, it usually doesn't cost much if anything to get some basic cable as well.

This is sort of what I was talking about. It is a lot of rigamarole to save $5-10 bucks a month, when if it were that big of a deal I could just brew extra coffee at home every morning and take it to work vs. buying a fresh one at the coffee shop across the street and save that much and more. I pay for Charter Spectrum Cable and Internet package. It's like $130 a month. I hate it, but I dont have to hunt and peck to find my local and sometimes national sports. I watch a ton of Brewers and Badgers, and I watch a lot of hockey, which is NBCSN and FOX Sports North, both of which I get on cable and would be blacked out on other deals.

For local news, I also prefer Fox11 in Green Bay for their local high school sports coverage, and being in Oshkosh it doesnt come in at all with an antenna. So its a no brainer for me to go with Charter.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 22, 2017, 4:59 PM Post
I'm loving Vue right now and no cable but...my wife is having a hard time finding her favorite channels/shows on it. Lifetime Movies, Hallmark Channel that kind of stuff. Any of the streaming services have these channels? I don't even think Vue has CBS in Oshkosh. Our bedroom does not have a smart tv, only a ps4 hooked up to it maybe one of those roku/chrome/fire sticks have these apps built in or available for purchase?

She wants to cave and just get cable but I hate how every year your bill just goes up and up...then you switch to the other cable for a year or two and do the same thing again and again. Can't stand that. I like the no contracts aspect and really want her to as well thanks for the help.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 23, 2017, 11:27 AM Post
Global Moderator
I'm loving Vue right now and no cable but...my wife is having a hard time finding her favorite channels/shows on it. Lifetime Movies, Hallmark Channel that kind of stuff.

Sling has Hallmark, but I'm not sure about Lifetime. Many of the Netflix/Amazone/Hulu are picking up Hallmark TV series also. Depending on if she wants to wait or not.

This is sort of what I was talking about. It is a lot of rigamarole to save $5-10 bucks a month

I was in a spot where Dish was the only logical choice for our location. But after moving, I was able to pick up a lot more OTA and that helped make the change. I'm saving ~$100/month so its certainly worth it for me.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 23, 2017, 4:13 PM Post
Global Moderator
Outlander said:
Personally I love the ability to cancel online service whenever I want for whatever reason. Some months I will have Sling, some not, Some months Netflix, some Hulu or WWE network. It all depends on what I want to watch, how much time I have and what offers these companies are giving me to come back. Plus I don't have to pay cable's monthly fee for HD boxes, remotes, FCC charges and the like. It was always a pain to cancel cable as well, with these streaming services it is just a click of the button. My antenna picks up the local stations great too.

I thought so too until a few weeks ago. You can now change your Comcast package right on their web page. Used to have to call them but now you can just check or uncheck boxes.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 23, 2017, 4:15 PM Post
Global Moderator
We have HBO Now, Showtime, Sling, Amazon Prime, and Netflix. More than enough to keep us occupied. I'll probably ditch Showtime and Sling once we are done with Homeland and the football season is over with.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 23, 2017, 9:38 PM Post
Global Moderator
I'll also add that we just purchased a new TV (the old one died) that has Roku built into it. So we have quite a few other channels also.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  [ 48 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply