LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  [ 60 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Sling TV & Cord Cutting

Offline  Re: Sling TV & Cord Cutting

Posted: May 27, 2016, 3:05 PM Post
fondybrewfan said:
How is the watching quality of a sporting event on cable vs. through Sling? I have Charter High Speed internet but I would still be afraid of some buffering or slow/interrupted feeds at times

I also have charter and use a roku and rarely have issues with buffering.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 29, 2016, 12:48 AM Post

The Weatherman
Global Moderator
fondybrewfan said:
How is the watching quality of a sporting event on cable vs. through Sling? I have Charter High Speed internet but I would still be afraid of some buffering or slow/interrupted feeds at times

After I moved into an apartment complex with built-in 100 mpbs Internet, buffering went away entirely. During college football season, I streamed 2-3 different HD windows of watchESPN/FSGo at the same time with no interruptions while my partner was watching Netflix on a different computer. No wonder the cable companies are so afraid of fast Internet...old fashioned TV is entirely pointless now.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 29, 2016, 2:02 AM Post

Usability Director
Board Administrator
I almost never encounter buffering on any service, even with my wimpy 25MB connection. The few times I've experienced it, it's been more of a blip on the radar.

When there's been weirdness, I can usually pin it down to the app or service itself rather than my device, my router, or my Internet connection. When Hulu acts up, restarting the app takes care of it. One time on MLB.TV, I could pin the issue down to equipment in San Diego (which, of course, I couldn't fix). Both live feeds of a Padres-Dodgers game were were constantly "rewinding" by a few seconds. It sounded like the broadcasters were repeating themselves. The other live games that were on at that time were fine.

I think it's reasonable to expect that streaming will have a few occasional quirks. But so does cable. The picture seems nicer when I stream, though.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.
-- Sigmund Snopek

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 01, 2016, 10:51 AM Post
A little bit of Googling found the Disney answer:

http://www.techhive.com/article/3060615/streaming-services/why-sling-tv-multi-stream-plans-are-missing-espn-and-disney-for-now.html

The article also talks about Viacom being added. I don't want those channels, so please give me the ability to not pay for them. I thought SlingTV was going to be more of an a-la-carte subscription service. Before long, it will cost $70 with 300 channels I don't care about.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 17, 2017, 3:15 PM Post
PlayStation Vue now has MLB Network.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 15, 2017, 12:10 AM Post
Just got Playstation Vue, Core package.

It says I get "Fox Sports Networks" channel...I was assuming that was Fox Sports Wisconsin but it is still the generic one which is just Poker all the time...not good. Anyone know how I can get Brewers games? I know you can through the Fox Sports Go app but I was hoping to do it all through the Vue. I live in Oshkosh and it's putting me in the North East Region I wonder if I have to be closer to Milwaukee to get FS WI?

Anyone else have any luck? Looks like scrolling up others have this issue but I was hoping it was fixed by now.

What about Packers games in the fall? Will I have to get an antenna to get the local Fox station?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 15, 2017, 10:44 AM Post
brewcrew79 said:
Just got Playstation Vue, Core package.

It says I get "Fox Sports Networks" channel...I was assuming that was Fox Sports Wisconsin but it is still the generic one which is just Poker all the time...not good. Anyone know how I can get Brewers games? I know you can through the Fox Sports Go app but I was hoping to do it all through the Vue. I live in Oshkosh and it's putting me in the North East Region I wonder if I have to be closer to Milwaukee to get FS WI?

Anyone else have any luck? Looks like scrolling up others have this issue but I was hoping it was fixed by now.

What about Packers games in the fall? Will I have to get an antenna to get the local Fox station?

My parents have PS Vue, and they watch Brewers games through the Fox Sports Go App (via a Roku player). I'm admittedly curious to see how their setup works for Packers games, as my main TV is in the basement and not terribly optimal for an OTA tuner....otherwise I'd consider making the switch myself.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 15, 2017, 10:45 AM Post
We have Roku devices. We downloaded the Fox Sports Go app. Once we access it, it will ask us to enter a confirmation code (follow directions on screen). After that, we were good to go. The authentication needs to be done for each device.

PlayStation Vue broadcasts WITI (Fox 6) and WDJT (58) in Milwaukee. It also provides DVR for those as well. The other Milwaukee stations haven't come on board, yet.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 16, 2017, 12:12 AM Post
Downloaded the FoxSportsGo app downstairs on my Sony smart TV and yes, I'm watching the Brewers replay right now! Still would be nice to have it all in one interface in the PS Vue, but I'll deal with it for now.

Wow PS Vue has local channels in Milwaukee? That's awesome, really wish the Green Bay stations would have that...unless I haven't found them yet or it's not working properly. I might have to do a support chat with Playstation and find out.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 16, 2017, 7:47 AM Post
brewcrew79 said:
Downloaded the FoxSportsGo app downstairs on my Sony smart TV and yes, I'm watching the Brewers replay right now! Still would be nice to have it all in one interface in the PS Vue, but I'll deal with it for now.

Wow PS Vue has local channels in Milwaukee? That's awesome, really wish the Green Bay stations would have that...unless I haven't found them yet or it's not working properly. I might have to do a support chat with Playstation and find out.

Local stations are only available in certain markets. If you don't see your local stations that is because there is no contract with that local station at this time.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 17, 2017, 11:01 AM Post
Global Moderator
I recently moved to the MSP metro area from a rural WI area so I dropped Dish network. Right now we are running:
- Tivo DVR ($300 for subscriptionless lifetime service)
- Netflix + Amazon (was doing Prime for other reasons) = ~$20/month
- Other apps with free content (Vudu, Youtube, etc,etc...)
- MLB.TV (out of state gets me Brewer coverage as long as they aren't playing the Twins) - $80/year as I got a special deal
- NFL replay - $100: I can watch all the preseason live + Replays
- OTA TV: I get about 20 TV channels from a wimpy antenna that I installed.

So, I lost some channels we used to watch but still have way more than I need (less is more sometimes). Costs us $300 up front and about $35/month in comparison to $120/month for dish. Doing it for 6 months and already putting money back in my pocket.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 17, 2017, 11:02 AM Post
brewcrew79 said:

Let me know if you start quoting the Five Hour Energy or Wisconsin Dells commercials while watching on FoxSportsGo.

"It is so big, I need a step ladder to see it all."
"But you're afraid of heights!"

[laughing]

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 17, 2017, 5:41 PM Post
Samurai Bucky said:
brewcrew79 said:

Let me know if you start quoting the Five Hour Energy or Wisconsin Dells commercials while watching on FoxSportsGo.

[laughing]
And visit Badger Mutual insurance .com....today!

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 17, 2017, 10:05 PM Post
greeg35 said:
Samurai Bucky said:

[laughing]
And visit Badger Mutual insurance .com....today!

"We're Brothers?!?"

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 18, 2017, 2:14 PM Post

Tom Petty Apologist
CheezWizHed said:
I recently moved to the MSP metro area from a rural WI area so I dropped Dish network. Right now we are running:
- Tivo DVR ($300 for subscriptionless lifetime service)
- Netflix + Amazon (was doing Prime for other reasons) = ~$20/month
- Other apps with free content (Vudu, Youtube, etc,etc...)
- MLB.TV (out of state gets me Brewer coverage as long as they aren't playing the Twins) - $80/year as I got a special deal
- NFL replay - $100: I can watch all the preseason live + Replays
- OTA TV: I get about 20 TV channels from a wimpy antenna that I installed.

So, I lost some channels we used to watch but still have way more than I need (less is more sometimes). Costs us $300 up front and about $35/month in comparison to $120/month for dish. Doing it for 6 months and already putting money back in my pocket.

Do you have to pay for an internet connection in order to have any of that?

I found in WI, to watch local sports, it is cheaper to buy my internet and cable from a major provider than to have a stand alone (fast connection) from a major provider and then cobble together a bunch of subscription services to get less content from more sources. I think a stand alone internet connection strong enough to run multiple streaming devices at one time is at least $50/mo.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 19, 2017, 9:58 PM Post
Global Moderator
JackNicholson1974 said:
Do you have to pay for an internet connection in order to have any of that?

I found in WI, to watch local sports, it is cheaper to buy my internet and cable from a major provider than to have a stand alone (fast connection) from a major provider and then cobble together a bunch of subscription services to get less content from more sources. I think a stand alone internet connection strong enough to run multiple streaming devices at one time is at least $50/mo.

I only have a 10Mbs connection. For full HD, you only really need around 5-6Mbs. However, if you have multiple people streaming that eats up quickly. We only have one TV running on it. If the kids are on the computer, the bandwidth gets tight.

I would agree that if you like having a lot of content, you might as well pay cable or satellite. We are more than happy with OTA, Netflix, Amazon, MLB.TV and NFL.TV. In fact, I've thought about dropping Netflix because we have more than enough to watch the way it is. Each to his own.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 20, 2017, 8:50 AM Post

Tom Petty Apologist
The funny thing is, I don't watch any tv beyond local news and sports, but mostly local sports. The only way to be sure I can watch badgers brewers bucks and Minnesota wild is with cable subscription.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 20, 2017, 1:37 PM Post
More power to all of you that can pull this off but all of this effort just isn't worth it to me to save a few bucks.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 20, 2017, 1:47 PM Post
I get the internet, Netflix, and Amazon Prime anyway. Those things in my opinion are a wash and while they are replacements for cable, I wouldn't count them as part of the cost of replacing cable. For me it would be the cost of cable vs Hulu and Sling. If I had cable I would still need an internet connection. I would also still subscribe to Amazon Prime and Netflix.

Fan is short for fanatic.
I blame Wang.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: August 21, 2017, 12:02 PM Post
logan82 said:
I get the internet, Netflix, and Amazon Prime anyway. Those things in my opinion are a wash and while they are replacements for cable, I wouldn't count them as part of the cost of replacing cable. For me it would be the cost of cable vs Hulu and Sling. If I had cable I would still need an internet connection. I would also still subscribe to Amazon Prime and Netflix.

True, however, it's really cable/internet combo package cost - internet only cost vs Hulu and Sling, which often is only like $5-10 per month. In fact, when I tried to cut cable recently, they offered me the combo deal for less than the internet only deal I was aiming to get. Of course, that's pretty limited cable (although mine still included HBO and all the OnDemand content that comes with that) and it starts to rack back up if you start adding HD boxes and more channels, but if you're already getting internet, it usually doesn't cost much if anything to get some basic cable as well.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  [ 60 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply