LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  [ 234 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Sling TV & Cord Cutting

Offline  Re: Sling TV & Cord Cutting
Posted: November 14, 2019, 9:33 AM Post
When you think about why people are going to these services (to save money) carrying a live TV subscription and Netflix just seems way less attractive. I don't know that Netflix is really worth the $15 price tag they have made themselves.

I guess I am shocked Netflix didn't and hasn't jumped in on the live TV thing. Netflix Originals was forward thinking, but I don't think it is going to lead to long term success and growth. Forward thinking would have been to be a live TV subscription on top of their already superior movie/original content. They could have been the WalMart of the segment in my opinion.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 14, 2019, 9:38 AM Post
You can still have a Netflix account for $8.99, it just isn't broadcast in 4k. That is not really worth it at all to me, so I am still on that one. I haven't had a live TV subscription for years. Once we're into $10+ I just lose interest. When I see people happy about $50 for YouTube, that's just far above what I'd ever consider. I had Sling for $25 a few months and just never used it enough to justify it.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 14, 2019, 10:22 AM Post
MrTPlush said:
I wonder how Netflix has done since all these TV options have popped up. I knew many people had Netflix to have something to watch instead of paying cable. Just for times when you were bored and desperate to watch something.

Wonder if many of those people have shifted to a different platform and left Netflix.

I kind of doubt it as well. Netflix has so much content they create themselves along with all the other shows/movies they get rights to. And the price point is so low. As long as you watch a handful of times per month, or you're hooked on one or two shows that are Netflix originals...it's easy to justify keeping at the price point. At the end of the day, it's great for us consumers if Netflix feels pressure from Disney+ and lowers their price or improves their offerings or does something to try and compete.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 14, 2019, 10:27 AM Post
OldSchoolSnapper said:
You can still have a Netflix account for $8.99, it just isn't broadcast in 4k. That is not really worth it at all to me, so I am still on that one. I haven't had a live TV subscription for years. Once we're into $10+ I just lose interest. When I see people happy about $50 for YouTube, that's just far above what I'd ever consider. I had Sling for $25 a few months and just never used it enough to justify it.

I feel like I followed almost the exact same pattern. I cut cable with the plan to get antennas for football, netflix and hulu was I think $20ish/month combined, and sling for $20/month(which included a free roku upon subscribing at the time). This was way way cheaper than cable. After I think 5-6 months, I realized we simply didn't watch sling much at all...were almost always watching netflix or hulu. So we cut Sling and are extremely content with hulu/netflix. Fortunately for me, I'm able to stream brewer games using parents credentials on foxsportsgo. It's frankly amazing how easy it is to move away from cable if you just don't have it. We did recently add the bundle for espn+ and disney+, so our cost went up a few bucks per month. She seems incredibly happy with the disney+ offering...and still way way cheaper than cable at the end of the day.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 14, 2019, 10:39 AM Post
OldSchoolSnapper said:

You can only use it on one TV for that price...and I didn't even think you got HD at that price point, I could be mistaken though.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 14, 2019, 10:44 AM Post
I'm never running more than one TV at a time. If my wife wants to watch something I hate I just read a book or work out. My only use for streaming, most of the time, is Friday and Saturday night for 2-3 hours after kids go to sleep, and the kids programming at random times.

I have an 80" TV in the basement that has been turned on probably once in the last 6 months. I still just use the small living room one out of habit, even for Packers games and everything.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 14, 2019, 12:21 PM Post
MrTPlush said:
I wonder how Netflix has done since all these TV options have popped up. I knew many people had Netflix to have something to watch instead of paying cable. Just for times when you were bored and desperate to watch something.

Wonder if many of those people have shifted to a different platform and left Netflix.

In regard to stock prices -- I don't recall when Disney Plus was announced. July 3, NFLX was at 379.93 a share. Now, it is at 289.18.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 14, 2019, 12:29 PM Post
Netflix had a bad financial report over the summer that showed the stagnated growth, and the stock has slipped since then. Disney+ was announced pretty close to a year ago to the day, I believe.

I don't think the price is at such a point yet where people are picking on or the other, but if families are making that call they will pick Disney, obviously.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 17, 2019, 5:22 PM Post
Global Moderator
I tend to think that the family oriented nature of Disney+ might have them competing with over the air shows for eyes. Especially once the initial honeymoon period is over.

It's a really good service for families. I don't know how essential it is for households without kids.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 17, 2019, 6:49 PM Post
I have Hulu Live and I just got an email that my bill is going from 50.99 to 60.99 starting next month.

Add in the price for internet and I'm starting to wonder what the point of ditching cable/dish in the first place was.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 17, 2019, 6:58 PM Post
adambr2 said:
I have Hulu Live and I just got an email that my bill is going from 50.99 to 60.99 starting next month.

Add in the price for internet and I'm starting to wonder what the point of ditching cable/dish in the first place was.

Exactly.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 18, 2019, 8:17 AM Post
I don't have any of the live streaming things but I pay my parents' bill for it (just the actual clicking of buttons to pay) and I don't see how it's even close even at that price point. For spectrum internet and their cable package the bill is consistently $190 a month. I don't really know what just internet and one streaming option would be but I'm guessing at worst, Internet + Youtube or whatever would be around half that.

I find cable to be one of the worst values out there though. If you take out live sports, which I end up barely watching anyway, it is just a bunch of filler junk. I realize my situation is not the norm but $15 Internet + $3.90 Disney+ and $8.99 Netflix is a huge savings, and I find just free Youtube and Netflix to be better than cable anyway. There are so many free docs and such, if I had the time I could watch 6 hours a night.

On the point above on Disney+'s child content, I've found just in the last week when we watch, we basically use Disney until the kids go to sleep, then we switch over to Netflix.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 18, 2019, 10:53 AM Post
Global Moderator
Samurai Bucky said:
MrTPlush said:

In regard to stock prices -- I don't recall when Disney Plus was announced. July 3, NFLX was at 379.93 a share. Now, it is at 289.18.

I bought Netflix at $10 and sold at $15 back in like 2004.

I'm smart.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 18, 2019, 12:07 PM Post
homer said:
Samurai Bucky said:
MrTPlush said:

I bought Netflix at $10 and sold at $15 back in like 2004.

I'm smart.

Any insights on Orange Crop Futures? [tongue]

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  [ 234 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply