LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next  [ 194 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Sling TV & Cord Cutting

Offline  Re: Sling TV & Cord Cutting

Posted: January 28, 2018, 3:29 PM Post
I'm wondering if anyone could help with a few questions. I am in the Quad Cities (Iowa) and just signed up for the PS Vue trial. I was getting tired of 100+ dollars a month from DirecTV, but it is more convenient in some ways. My question is about the availability of Brewers games. I understand if no one knows, but I was curious.

The Quad Cities are in blackout territory for the Twins, Brewers, Royals, Cubs, White Sox, and Cardinals. This means MLB.tv isn't really an option since you're basically missing half the games on the schedule, and I can never watch the Brewers. DirecTV allowed a work around that allowed me to buy a 10 dollar (after discount)/month add-on package from April to September that allowed access to the regional carriers of all those teams.

On my Vue free trial, I have access to FS North and the generic Fox Sports Network. I also get NBC Sports Chicago. Basically, I'll get to watch the Brewers every time they play the Cubs for sure.

I'm wondering about FS North. Does that usually carry Twins or Brewers games? Will the Vue allow me to access Brewers games through either FS North or Fox Sports Go? Or is it going to black me out of those games? It's a pretty small factor in our decision, but any insight would help. The Vue is like a $40/month savings.

I add this here because I haven't been able to see, even in this thread, answers that address RSNs outside of Wisconsin but still within supposed "viewing territory" for the Brewers. If anyone has any insight into Iowa access to Brewers games, that's appreciated too.

Thanks.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 28, 2018, 5:26 PM Post
FS North I believe is the Minnesota Fox Sports network. So you will get the Twins, Wild, and Timberwolves.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 28, 2018, 6:24 PM Post
That was my hunch initially.

Does anyone live in IA/IL/MN and access the Fox Sports Go App? Are Brewers telecasts available to you?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 28, 2018, 6:48 PM Post
Cool Hand Lucroy said:

Does anyone live in IA/IL/MN and access the Fox Sports Go App? Are Brewers telecasts available to you?

You would still get whatever your regional network is.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Sling TV & Cord Cutting

Posted: January 28, 2018, 7:42 PM Post
Global Moderator
I use Ps Vue and watch a lot of sports through a lot of different apps, but I just have to say that Foxsportsgo is trash. I can watch games through any other app (cbs, nbc, abc, espn) and have no problems, ever, and when I use FSgo, I get frequent buffering, will often have to refresh every 10 minutes or so, and the audio can get out of sync with the picture. I've emailed them a few times about it, and their response is "it's your internet connection" (100mb) or "your computer or tablet is too slow". sigh..... no it isn't.

Just something to think about. I've heard other people make this complaint about foxsportsgo as well.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 28, 2018, 7:42 PM Post
jerichoholicninja said:
Cool Hand Lucroy said:

You would still get whatever your regional network is.

I buy the regional sports package from DirecTV (usually they give me $10 off for 6 months so it costs like $3/month) and I get the Brewers on the Fox Sports Go app. At least I think I do. If I don't I must use my parents sign in from Wisconsin.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 28, 2018, 8:34 PM Post
I appreciate the thoughts.

I have been really happy with the DirecTV regional add-on, but it's getting to the point where my DirecTV account is basically just a ticket to be able to buy the regional sports package (I can watch all the CBK, the other sport I follow closely, I want much more cheaply with a cord-cutting service), so it's just one of those things where I'm trying to decide how much being able to watch 140 games instead of like 40 (looks the Vue trial will allow me to watch the Cubs, Sox, and Cards pretty regularly, and I think the Brewers have 3 with CWS this year) is worth. I will probably be investing in MLB Audio for the others (another service I really have had good luck with).

Part of the problem is stupid MLB blackout rules and just the weird convoluted regional structure of the Fox networks here. FS Midwest, FS Wisconsin, FS North, and FS Kansas City all broadcast single team baseball, and I cannot understand how the "primary" RSN is determined. State boundaries don't seem to matter. We are twice as close to Wisconsin as Minnesota and are apparently assigned FS North. Odd.

Maybe someday there will be blackout free baseball.

EDIT: I'm sure the new ESPN deal will end up changing things too...anyone seen what they're planning?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 29, 2018, 9:02 AM Post
For FS-North vs FS-Wisconsin, it used to be that FS-Wisconsin wasn't a "real" channel or something like that. We had DISH growing up and our regional network was FS-North (Minnesota) but any Twins games were blacked out. However, we could watch Brewer games on the alternate channel (all other games on the alternate channels were blacked out) but got no other FS-Wisconsin programming. When the Brewers would get bumped for the Bucks we usually wouldn't even get the Brewer game. It was weird.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 03, 2018, 1:00 PM Post
Depending on what device you use there are VPN options which can be used to set your location. StrongVPN (IIRC) has a wireless router option where the router you buy from them logs into the VPN and any device that connects to the router will look like it is going through the VPN location. That allows you to use the MLB app on most devices and get around regional blackouts. If you use a computer only then just a regular VPN will work fine (they cost about $70 per year for the subscription). I've used a regular VPN when I lived in Chicago to get around the Cubs/WhiteSox blackouts (when I was looking for other games when the Brewers were off the air) and will try it again this year having moved back to MKE.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 23, 2018, 12:10 PM Post
My Charter bill was raised a few more bucks this month and I wasn't happy. I took 10 minutes and chatted with a Charter person online. They gave me a $30 a month discount for 12 months. I did not expect it so I would give it a try if you have Charter.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 23, 2018, 1:04 PM Post
Spectrum plays hard ball... If you call, complain, or make threats to leave, they simply don't care. Their attitude is "pay our price or leave, we don't care."

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 23, 2018, 2:23 PM Post
turborickey said:
Spectrum plays hard ball... If you call, complain, or make threats to leave, they simply don't care. Their attitude is "pay our price or leave, we don't care."

They didn't play hardball with me today..... I didn't threaten to leave or anything. I just asked if there was a way to reduce my bill.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 24, 2018, 7:56 PM Post
wallus said:
turborickey said:

They didn't play hardball with me today..... I didn't threaten to leave or anything. I just asked if there was a way to reduce my bill.

Charter, right? I'm talking about Spectrum.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 24, 2018, 8:56 PM Post
turborickey said:
wallus said:
turborickey said:

Charter, right? I'm talking about Spectrum.

Are they not the same?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 24, 2018, 9:22 PM Post
Same company now.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 25, 2018, 10:57 AM Post
Correct: Charter acquired Time Warner in 2016 and later re-branded them as Spectrum ... and then later jacked my monthly internet bill up by $30 to compensate for all of their cable TV subscriber losses. [ohwell]

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 25, 2018, 1:45 PM Post
nodakfan17 said:
Correct: Charter acquired Time Warner in 2016 and later re-branded them as Spectrum ... and then later jacked my monthly internet bill up by $30 to compensate for all of their cable TV subscriber losses. [ohwell]

I had 2 $20 increases from June to October. I am paying $40 more than I was last June.

I'm going to try again to get my bill reduced, but the last 2 times I have been unsuccessful, and basically got a big FU, we don't care if you leave.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 25, 2018, 1:46 PM Post
wallus said:
turborickey said:

Did you keep all your services the same, no changes?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 25, 2018, 3:21 PM Post
It depends on your approach. They've probably already noted on your account that you've called twice and asked for reductions and then didn't cancel.

When I "play the game" I call up to cancel. When they ask why am I cancelling I just tell them I can't afford to pay the current rates. I almost always get an offer immediately from them for a reduced rate. Typically $20-30 depending on the package. I add $10 to there number and tell them that's how much I need to save to stay. The agent asks me to hold while they speak with a manager. Almost always they come back with a split of the difference - $25-35 off my bill. Then I say - ok. My brother calls up and asks for the best deal from customer service and they tell him he's getting it. I call up and tell them cancel my service and I get the deal.... Its the approach....

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 25, 2018, 4:57 PM Post
turborickey said:
wallus said:
turborickey said:

Did you keep all your services the same, no changes?

Yep, asked to confirm.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next  [ 194 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply