LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  [ 107 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Using a smoker… plus grilling and cooking

Offline  Re: Using a smoker… plus grilling and cooking
Posted: March 29, 2017, 11:10 AM Post
CheezWizHed said:
But I'm also thinking about buying a Pit Barrel Cooker.

Go up north and you can find some opinions on something like that. A lot of folks make their own barrell cooker. I have had some good tasting meat made in one, but then again they are usually pros at it.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 30, 2017, 9:06 PM Post
Global Moderator
Where is "up north"?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 10, 2017, 11:48 AM Post
Global Moderator
The PBC was just about as easy as advertised. It was my first attempt this last weekend, so I tweaked a few things as it went along. But it held its temperature very steady for hours without adding any charcoal to it.

The ribs turned out better than I've ever done in the past (with complements from my family).

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 17, 2017, 11:08 AM Post
I decided to clean up my freezer and smoke 4 of my old salmon. I tried a dry brine this time instead of my usual wet brine, and now I don't plan on going back. Simple, easy, and great results. Mix 1 cup of non-iodized salt with 4 cups brown sugar. Cover the fillets with the mixture, stack additional fillets on top, putting more dry brine mixture on the fillets. It draws the water out of frozen salmon, making for a good firm fillet. Just rotate them in the juice and scoop it over the fillets once or twice a day. I brined mine in the fridge for 4 days and that turned out just about perfect. Smoked for 10 hours on alder chips in the Little Chief smoker, then brought up to temp in the oven.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 01, 2017, 12:08 PM Post
Global Moderator
Eating at Famous Dave's, I've had brisket a few times but didn't understand the big deal about it.

Last weekend, I just made my first and it was excellent! In fact, I've eaten the leftovers the last two days! [smile]

I dry brined it with salt (AKCheeseHead, once I discovered this, I don't bother with wet brines), seasoned it, smoked it in the barrel for 4 hours. Then I poured some Texas mop sauce on it and wrapped it in tin foil for another hour. Then put it in a hold for another hour. It came out cut-it-with-a-fork tender and juicy! I was so pleased.

Technically, I only had a 1/4 brisket with so my times were probably quicker than normal. The barrel also seems to cook much quicker than traditional, which is a nice benefit. [smile]

I wasn't confident in how it would turn out, so I made burgers along with it. My kids started on the burgers, but a couple took the brisket for seconds. And my wife went back for seconds (despite her diet).

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 01, 2017, 1:20 PM Post
Instead of foil, you can also try out a wrap of unlined butcher paper. I've never seen it in a store so I got a whole bunch online for about $15. Works the same way as foil to keep more heat in and speed up cooking time, but paper doesn't trap in moisture as much, and so your bark won't end up as soft.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: May 02, 2017, 6:45 AM Post
Global Moderator
Yeah, I've read that, but didn't have any on hand. [smile]

Although, since I'm adding moisture at that point, I'm not sure if butcher paper would work well there. But I did lose my burnt ends. [wink]

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  [ 107 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply