LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next  [ 166 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Using a smoker… plus grilling and cooking

Offline  Re: Using a smoker… plus grilling and cooking
Posted: August 24, 2018, 10:04 PM Post
Global Moderator
That picture is WILD! I bet that was really good!

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 25, 2018, 1:33 PM Post
Better than I had even hoped. I'd highly recommend it to anyone who gets their hands on some salmon. Also, it's a great way to do well by the fish that gave you its life, making good use of all the meat.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 03, 2018, 6:50 PM Post
I’m in the market for a new thermometer. I usually use two - one I the smoker & one in the meat. One died recently, and I’m smoking meat for the Packers game on Sunday.

What’s your favorite thermometer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 03, 2018, 8:42 PM Post
I use this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014D ... UTF8&psc=1

I've been happy with it. I don't stay a big distance away between the smoker and inside the house, so I don't really know what the effective range is on it.

But a head's up, ThermaPro makes a model that looks exactly the same but only has one probe with it, so be sure you can see both probes in the picture.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 15, 2019, 1:12 PM Post
Global Moderator
Anyone have any success smoking a brisket at a higher temp than 225?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 17, 2019, 12:19 PM Post
It'll just be tougher, but it wouldn't necessarily be horrible. If it's a matter of not wanting to stay outside all night, you could always steam it to finish like you'd do if it were a corned beef. That'll ruin any crust you got, though.

Have wanted an upgrade to my cheap-o smoker. Have my eyes on a smaller Rec-Tec pellet grill. But I'm reminded of about $4000 on my credit card that I need to pay off. Despite warm weather lately (at least here), I think I'm gonna have to wait on it.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 23, 2019, 10:48 PM Post
Global Moderator
If you need to speed it up, seperate the point and the flat. and it will cook much faster with more bark. I also use the Texas crutch after the meat hits 165 degrees. At that point, you can raise the temperature. Then faux cambrio until you are ready to eat. Mine has always been tender. Just don't let it sit in a lot of liquid all that time or you will have pot roast (did that once). It was still good, but not brisket.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 25, 2019, 8:00 AM Post
I've become addicted to Sous Vide cooking.

Next step: More meal prep.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Twitter: @MKEHiker

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 25, 2019, 12:52 PM Post
Global Moderator
Baldkin said:

Tell me more! What have you been doing? I've been very interested in that for a long time.

On a similar note, I'm now convinced that the best way to prepare a steak is the reverse sear. Bake on a rack at 275 until it reaches the desired temp (I believe medium rare is 130). Then let it sit for 10 to 15 min while getting a pan warmed up pretty hot. Throw some butter in it and sear the steaks for about a minute on each side. You get a great taste and a steak that is the same doneness the whole way through. Glorious. So similar ideas as the Sous Vide.

I want to do this same thing with my green egg this summer, indirect heat then take the plate out and sear it. Should be even better.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 25, 2019, 3:54 PM Post
RobDeer 45 said:
Baldkin said:

Tell me more! What have you been doing? I've been very interested in that for a long time.

On a similar note, I'm now convinced that the best way to prepare a steak is the reverse sear. Bake on a rack at 275 until it reaches the desired temp (I believe medium rare is 130). Then let it sit for 10 to 15 min while getting a pan warmed up pretty hot. Throw some butter in it and sear the steaks for about a minute on each side. You get a great taste and a steak that is the same doneness the whole way through. Glorious. So similar ideas as the Sous Vide.

I want to do this same thing with my green egg this summer, indirect heat then take the plate out and sear it. Should be even better.

I've done a few smaller things, haven't done steaks yet, but done a lot of pork and chicken and it is so easy and so reliable.

Sous Vide Everything on youtube is a place I've gone down the rabbit hole of.

I did an entire pork shoulder (and finished in the oven) for Thanksgiving and it was incredible.

I recently tried their Chicken Shawarma recipe and it was awesome.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 14, 2019, 7:12 AM Post
I'm getting gifted a smoker and I get to choose which one I want. It will likely be between a BGE or a Traeger. Which one would the masses choose and why?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 16, 2019, 8:46 AM Post
Traeger I've seen get some positive reviews, but a few years ago they moved their production to China and their reputation has taken a hit for it, some would argue it's quality as well. I don't know much about BGE to say anything substantive.

But pellet grill/smoker and charcoal grill/smoker are a good bit different, and which one you prefer really depends on how you like to do things. If you have more time on your hands to be able to tend to heat and smoke levels, nothing beats the flavor of charcoal. Pellet grills are great because you can set the temperature and just walk away until it's done. As for the grill segment of the pellet grill, they don't use direct heat, which of course is where a lot of the flavor comes from. It's really more like an oven. So you can certainly do the usual grilling stuff, but without that direct flame the flavor isn't quite the same.

I bought a pellet grill somewhat recently as an upgrade to my charcoal smoker and not having to monitor it is great. I did two pork butts a couple days ago and I was asleep for most of the cooking.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 16, 2019, 9:00 AM Post
Global Moderator
I have a BGE but no experience with a pellet smoker. The reason I've really started to like my egg is because you can grill on it too. When you smoke on it, you put the ceramic plate in, and it's indirect smoking. When you girls, take the plate out and it's direct heat and can get a great sear on your meat. Also, you can use it like a pizza oven and make some pretty great stuff. The nice thing about ceramic smokers is, it's actually easy to regulate your heat (compared to trying to smoke on a weber). By using the top and bottom vent, you get it to the temp you want, and it will go for hours without needing any adjustment. It's probably not as fool proof as a pellet, but for the most part, you don't need to mess with it once it's set.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 20, 2019, 10:25 PM Post
I just used a regular Weber 22" grill to smoke a pork but the other week. One chimney of charcoal lasted 7 hours at a steady 250°. It is very air tight and the charcoal goes out when I close it up after grilling. I was able to adjust the bottom vent to control the heat.

Fan is short for fanatic.
I blame Wang.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 21, 2019, 9:18 AM Post
I use a Weber kettle as my grill and I'm not sure if a smoker will replace that as my primary grill. I have never had food from a pellet smoker and I'm really curious to see how much different it is vs. a kamado smoker.

I just used a regular Weber 22" grill to smoke a pork but the other week. One chimney of charcoal lasted 7 hours at a steady 250°. It is very air tight and the charcoal goes out when I close it up after grilling. I was able to adjust the bottom vent to control the heat.

I had very good luck with pork butt using the snake method, but last time I tried it with ribs the ribs came out tough. Food that I've had on a smoker has been much, much better overall than the things I have smoked on my Weber, but I have still had good results with it.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 21, 2019, 12:08 PM Post
Global Moderator
Baldkin said:

I had never heard of this but am very intrigued. Looks like a great tool for a small kitchen.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 21, 2019, 8:43 PM Post
NeedMoreFans said:
I had very good luck with pork butt using the snake method, but last time I tried it with ribs the ribs came out tough. Food that I've had on a smoker has been much, much better overall than the things I have smoked on my Weber, but I have still had good results with it.

I didn't use the snake method at all. Lit the coals and piled them on one side. Almost completely closed the vents. Indirect heat. I have previously used one of those grills with a side chamber for smoking and found the Weber to be much better. More airtight and held the temp better.

Fan is short for fanatic.
I blame Wang.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 22, 2019, 7:01 AM Post
CheezWizHed said:
I've had to curtail my grilling/smoking efforts greatly the last couple months since I've been in the midst of a move. Next week I move into a new house (and the movers give my weber back).

But I'm also thinking about buying a Pit Barrel Cooker.

Anyone use one of them? If not, what do you use (no need to respond if it doesn't burn charcoal or wood)?

Realize this is old but I love the Pit Barrel Cooker. I make pulled pork in mine regularly, using a Boston Butt as they call it down here in South Carolina. Thanksgiving turkey the last three years, ribs, chicken, prime rib (delicious, much better than I expected), brisket (full), and tri tip. It truly is set it and forget it. Just follow the instructions as stated on the website and you shouldn't have any problems. I add wood chunks or chips based upon what I'm smoking.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: July 22, 2019, 2:31 PM Post
homer said:
Baldkin said:

I had never heard of this but am very intrigued. Looks like a great tool for a small kitchen.

It really is amazing. Chicken and pork loin are so easy and simple to make (and make in large quantities!)

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 14, 2019, 6:29 PM Post
Silvers are in, last night I did the heads on the Weber thing like last August. We wolfed down 11 salmon heads last night, so good. The cheek meat is such a treat.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next  [ 166 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply