LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  [ 150 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Using a smoker… plus grilling and cooking

Offline  Re: Using a smoker… plus grilling and cooking
Posted: August 24, 2018, 10:04 PM Post
Global Moderator
That picture is WILD! I bet that was really good!

Quote   Reply 
Posted: August 25, 2018, 1:33 PM Post
Better than I had even hoped. I'd highly recommend it to anyone who gets their hands on some salmon. Also, it's a great way to do well by the fish that gave you its life, making good use of all the meat.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 03, 2018, 6:50 PM Post
I’m in the market for a new thermometer. I usually use two - one I the smoker & one in the meat. One died recently, and I’m smoking meat for the Packers game on Sunday.

What’s your favorite thermometer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 03, 2018, 8:42 PM Post
I use this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014D ... UTF8&psc=1

I've been happy with it. I don't stay a big distance away between the smoker and inside the house, so I don't really know what the effective range is on it.

But a head's up, ThermaPro makes a model that looks exactly the same but only has one probe with it, so be sure you can see both probes in the picture.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 15, 2019, 1:12 PM Post
Global Moderator
Anyone have any success smoking a brisket at a higher temp than 225?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 17, 2019, 12:19 PM Post
It'll just be tougher, but it wouldn't necessarily be horrible. If it's a matter of not wanting to stay outside all night, you could always steam it to finish like you'd do if it were a corned beef. That'll ruin any crust you got, though.

Have wanted an upgrade to my cheap-o smoker. Have my eyes on a smaller Rec-Tec pellet grill. But I'm reminded of about $4000 on my credit card that I need to pay off. Despite warm weather lately (at least here), I think I'm gonna have to wait on it.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 23, 2019, 10:48 PM Post
Global Moderator
If you need to speed it up, seperate the point and the flat. and it will cook much faster with more bark. I also use the Texas crutch after the meat hits 165 degrees. At that point, you can raise the temperature. Then faux cambrio until you are ready to eat. Mine has always been tender. Just don't let it sit in a lot of liquid all that time or you will have pot roast (did that once). It was still good, but not brisket.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 25, 2019, 8:00 AM Post
I've become addicted to Sous Vide cooking.

Next step: More meal prep.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Twitter: @MKEHiker

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 25, 2019, 12:52 PM Post
Global Moderator
Baldkin said:

Tell me more! What have you been doing? I've been very interested in that for a long time.

On a similar note, I'm now convinced that the best way to prepare a steak is the reverse sear. Bake on a rack at 275 until it reaches the desired temp (I believe medium rare is 130). Then let it sit for 10 to 15 min while getting a pan warmed up pretty hot. Throw some butter in it and sear the steaks for about a minute on each side. You get a great taste and a steak that is the same doneness the whole way through. Glorious. So similar ideas as the Sous Vide.

I want to do this same thing with my green egg this summer, indirect heat then take the plate out and sear it. Should be even better.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 25, 2019, 3:54 PM Post
RobDeer 45 said:
Baldkin said:

Tell me more! What have you been doing? I've been very interested in that for a long time.

On a similar note, I'm now convinced that the best way to prepare a steak is the reverse sear. Bake on a rack at 275 until it reaches the desired temp (I believe medium rare is 130). Then let it sit for 10 to 15 min while getting a pan warmed up pretty hot. Throw some butter in it and sear the steaks for about a minute on each side. You get a great taste and a steak that is the same doneness the whole way through. Glorious. So similar ideas as the Sous Vide.

I want to do this same thing with my green egg this summer, indirect heat then take the plate out and sear it. Should be even better.

I've done a few smaller things, haven't done steaks yet, but done a lot of pork and chicken and it is so easy and so reliable.

Sous Vide Everything on youtube is a place I've gone down the rabbit hole of.

I did an entire pork shoulder (and finished in the oven) for Thanksgiving and it was incredible.

I recently tried their Chicken Shawarma recipe and it was awesome.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Twitter: @MKEHiker

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  [ 150 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply