LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  [ 189 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Using a smoker… plus grilling and cooking

Offline  Re: Using a smoker… plus grilling and cooking
Posted: May 24, 2020, 8:28 AM Post
Did two eye of round roasts on the smoker yesterday. Those are easy to make tough and not juicy. But I brined these in salt water for a few hours beforehand. Pulled them at 130 and they're awesome.

Today I'm gonna re-try smoking simple syrup. Last time I did it with stevia and it all separated again when frozen. So today I'll do regular sugar and see how it turns out. Smoked simple syrup should be awesome in whiskey cocktails.

Edit: I went ahead and smoked regular cane sugar. Came out great. Not much melted. Ran it through a sieve and then bashed up the harder bits.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 14, 2020, 12:22 PM Post
Yesterday I did pork spare ribs on the Weber kettle using the snake method and 3-2-1 for hours on grill with the 2 hours wrapped in foil. First time for me. Ribs were delicious but not fall off the bone tender like I’d hoped. I’m thinking next time I’ll do an extra hour in the foil and open the vent more during that part of the smoke. Seems like I was actually running too cool. I can fully appreciate the value of a thermometer but I’m stubborn in some certain things. When I’m cooking with fire I don’t want to go involving technology. Fortunately the store had a nice special on ribs at $3.99/lb so I’ve got more in the freezer to work on getting this down. For this go around I’m going to slow bake the leftovers for tenderness while I hang my head in shame.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 14, 2020, 3:18 PM Post
Global Moderator
If you are doing pork ribs, the only way to be "fall off the bone" is to boil or steam. But I would challenge if you really want it that way? If the meat is tender, well-smoked, and it takes a light pull off the bone, I think it is better anyway. [smile]

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 14, 2020, 5:34 PM Post
Yeah I don’t want falling-apart tender but I definitely wanted more tender than what I got. Wanted the fat and connective tissue broken down more. The 2 hours wrapped in foil was supposed to accomplish that and I think the next rack I do will turn out better. If I was eating alone I would have just let it go longer, but my girlfriend is one of those who go delirious when somewhat hungry and the clock was ticking. It wasn’t dog food but there’s room for improvement.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 14, 2020, 9:32 PM Post
Yea, there's a saying around my house when I'm smoking. The meat tells me when it's done. Start early, you can always slow it down. Even hold it in a cooler, they'll stay hot a long time. But you have to have a thermometer to know your grill temp. 225-250 is where you need to be. Let em ride until they're done, I never foil.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 15, 2020, 12:01 AM Post
That’s a great saying.

Do you sauce them periodically then?

Maybe I’ll bite the bullet and get a thermometer to get the hang of the smoking temps.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 15, 2020, 1:53 PM Post
AKCheesehead said:
That’s a great saying.

Do you sauce them periodically then?

Maybe I’ll bite the bullet and get a thermometer to get the hang of the smoking temps.

No, I don't sauce periodically, it doesn't penetrate the ribs anyhow. Just a nice glaze at the very end when they're done. Crank up the heat and let the sauce sizzle for a few minutes.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 17, 2020, 3:34 PM Post
Global Moderator
I'll admit that I'm not crazy about my ribs either (but even failures taste good). My smoker hangs the ribs, so I can't foil them either. Though I think the off for 2 hours, on for 2, off for one is a good way to mitigate soggy (no bark) ribs. I also normally run around 250 for my smoker, so 225 might do better for ribs being so thin.

I highly recommend a thermometer for the smoker. Even a good smoker goes through a lot of variations with outside temp, fuel, wind, etc... No good way to regulate if you don't have one.

But yes, the meat is done when the meat is done!

Quote   Reply 
Posted: June 17, 2020, 8:53 PM Post
For what it's worth, when I baked the leftovers at 250 for 2 hours they came out realllly good. And I redeemed myself on Monday by grilling a king salmon I caught out of the Kuskokwim that afternoon, it was a crowd pleaser.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  [ 189 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply