LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 40  Next  [ 795 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Milwaukee Bucks 2016 - 2017

Offline  Milwaukee Bucks 2016 - 2017

Posted: July 18, 2016, 10:38 AM Post
i understand that the new collective bargaining agreement has made contracts out of control, but Plumlee getting 4/52 to get 5 points a game, 4 boards and run some pick and rolls is insane.

---------
Moderator note:

Please feel free to use this topic to continue any discussion from the previous thread. For those who want to catch up, here's a link to the last two pages of that topic:

viewtopic.php?f=67&t=32909&start=680

Last edited by 1992casey on July 18, 2016, 11:49 AM, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: added link to previous topic

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Milwaukee Bucks 2015 - 2016

Posted: July 18, 2016, 10:51 AM Post
patrickgpe said:
i understand that the new collective bargaining agreement has made contracts out of control, but Plumlee getting 4/52 to get 5 points a game, 4 boards and run some pick and rolls is insane.

Hammond has never paid way more than market value instead of waiting for a restricted free agent to sign an offer sheet before and deciding to match.
Oh wait. That's all he's done.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Twitter: @MKEHiker

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Milwaukee Bucks 2015 - 2016

Posted: July 18, 2016, 10:53 AM Post
Yea, I honestly don't know what they're doing anymore. Seems like the Kohl days to me, just keep signing mediocre guys, trade some of them every year for other mediocre guys, repeat. I really thought they were going to clear a bunch of cap space so they could acquire a star, but maybe they think Plumley and Dellavedova are stars. I don't get the road map here, hopefully the plan is better than what it appears.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Milwaukee Bucks 2015 - 2016

Posted: July 18, 2016, 10:58 AM Post
FVBrewerFan said:
Yea, I honestly don't know what they're doing anymore. Seems like the Kohl days to me, just keep signing mediocre guys, trade some of them every year for other mediocre guys, repeat. I really thought they were going to clear a bunch of cap space so they could acquire a star, but maybe they think Plumley and Dellavedova are stars. I don't get the road map here, hopefully the plan is better than what it appears.

Giannis and Jabari are the stars. If they aren't, it won't matter for at least 3 years anyway. When everyone has cap space, no star is going to choose Milwaukee to play in.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 18, 2016, 11:03 AM Post
Baldkin said:
patrickgpe said:

Hammond has never paid way more than market value instead of waiting for a restricted free agent to sign an offer sheet before and deciding to match.
Oh wait. That's all he's done.

its such a backwards way of doing it, the bucks have the advantage and you can wait for the market to bare out his worth. And honestly if you don't sign Miles Plumlee is that going to make a huge difference win wise over the next few seasons.

I still think this is Kidd's doing and not Hammonds though.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 18, 2016, 11:04 AM Post
Plumlee is the closest thing to the Center they are looking for that is available. If they lineup this team like they should, he will start. That's a ton of money for him, and I think his ceiling has certainly been reached, but it's not the most outlandish signing I've seen. I think this fits into their springy length philosophy. If GA-JP-KM is the big three, he's just another complimentary piece. They seem to be seeking out "team" guys, who are willing to fill roles, Plumlee is certainly that. While I liked the Monroe signing last year, it tanked. This signing is more in line with the team philosophy, and less in line with trying to sign a name. Trade Monroe, or let him lead the Second team with MCW. He doesn't belong with the regular rotation, and is counterproductive. Plumlee at least fills a need.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 18, 2016, 11:14 AM Post
If Garnett is the closet comp to Maker I really hope he doesn't turn into the same turd personality wise as Garnett.

They can't pay Monroe and Plumlee those combined amounts. Paying that much for a backup center is way to high. Monroe has got to be on the way out.

The core of the team is still quite strong with Giannis, Middleton, and Parker. All they need is a competent center (The equivalent of Zaza) and some sort of consistent shooting threat from being a perennial playoff contender. Plumlee could be a Zaza type player and we will see if they have picked up enough shooting this offseason to make a difference.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 18, 2016, 11:31 AM Post
My immediate thought was that Plumlee is exactly the kind of center they're looking for and they can't risk letting him go and then struggle to find a replacement. Maybe he's just "meh," but we've sure seen what an opposite-playstyle player can do to the team. Signing Plumlee to a contract like that maybe isn't so much about finding a center but making sure Giannis and Jabari can continue to develop with a center who allows them to play to their strengths opposed to a center who restricts the rest of the team. Sure, we could complain that Plumlee is being overpaid or he doesn't quite have the talent to be a starter, but nobody was complaining last year that he was a hindrance to the team the way the more-talented Monroe was/is.

People have complained about Thon being a stretch at 10 or maybe that Plumlee is being paid more than his talents dictate, but maybe it's necessary. Hammond is reaching if you look at talent, but he's paying market prices to make sure he gets players that fit a particular mold.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Milwaukee Bucks 2016 - 2017

Posted: July 18, 2016, 12:32 PM Post
They really couldn't get Plumlee at 4/40? This is crazy money. Key word, crazy.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 18, 2016, 1:10 PM Post
Honestly, I think you should be able to get a package of all 3 Plumlees for 4/24. I haven't had time to adjust to these new contracts. Role players are getting $20M. I'm glad we signed him. Seeing as C is a nominal position for the Bucks, I'd like to see them offload the Monroe contract. As someone else mentioned, too much money at a position that doesn't really matter to the team. If they keep him, he better be the offensive focal point of the second unit, and win games in the third quarter.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 18, 2016, 2:58 PM Post
Yea I hope what I said about Garnett didn't come off as me thinking he should be that good. It's what i think he wants to be based on his body and what seems to thinks his skills are. Personally I think he should focus on being a PnR rim protector who can hit a pick and pop when needed. Just focus on that and kind of being a rich man's Larry Sanders.

I agree the Plumlee deal is absurd for a guy who spends half last season as a DNP-CD. Yes he fits better than the other two guys but I think only 4-5 teams even have the capability to sign him right now and of those only the Nets made any sense. They couldn't have had a 3/27 offer on the table and said take this or come back to us with an offer sheet? I actually do like Plumlee but I feel like they need to be more shrewd with their space as 2-3 years down the line they might need to make some other tweaks, and it's easier with every few millions extra in cap space they can find.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 18, 2016, 8:19 PM Post
Jon Leuer got 4/42. Solomon Hill 4/48. Plumlee is a great fit in this scheme and is more talented than both those players. Mike Conley hasn't made one all-star game and he got 5/153. With the cap rising this year, and again next, teams HAVE to spend at least 90% of cap number

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 18, 2016, 8:54 PM Post
MKE81 said:
Jon Leuer got 4/42. Solomon Hill 4/48. Plumlee is a great fit in this scheme and is more talented than both those players. Mike Conley hasn't made one all-star game and he got 5/153. With the cap rising this year, and again next, teams HAVE to spend at least 90% of cap number

Evan Turners contract of 4/70 is still the worst of the offseason IMO. I agree with you that if Leuer gets 4/42, than Plumlee should get 4/50 and he is a good fit for the team.

My only criticism was that the bucks should have waited for another team to sign him to set the market for him.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 18, 2016, 9:39 PM Post
This is insanity. Somebody is braindead in downtown Milwaukee...what in the flying bleep is the point of having restricted FA advantages if you don't USE THEM? We're weeks into FA, let it dwindle until somebody offers him 3/30 and match it. Cap rise or not this is ridiculous.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Milwaukee Bucks 2016 - 2017

Posted: July 18, 2016, 11:51 PM Post
MKE81 said:

No. They don't have to spend anything.

The salary floor rules are simply that the team must pay out that much in contracts. So, if they don't meet the floor, then they just have to pay the players who played for them extra money.

This is an idiotic contract, the same as Henson's was the moment he signed it. When you can get 90% of a player for 20% of the price, it's a dumb deal. They are now set on spending 25% of their cap space on C's (assuming they trade Monroe) who really aren't that good.

Once again, John Hammond negotiated against himself and lost.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 19, 2016, 6:48 AM Post
Baldkin said:
Once again, John Hammond negotiated against himself and lost.

I don't know how much clout Hammond has, i still think this was a Kidd move. Hammond has 2 more seasons here and he is gone.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 19, 2016, 7:20 AM Post
The difference between Plumlee and all those contracts you mentioned is that he was restricted and it's now 3 weeks later so all the teams have blown their wad and don't have space left, those teams had to worry about other teams competing with their contracts. Plumlee had no negotiating power and still dominated our front office in the negotiation. I just can't believe they couldn't have gotten this done for 4ish less per year on a 3 yr deal, maybe a team option for year 4.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 19, 2016, 7:33 AM Post
Hammond has made some solid trades and draft picks recently but he seems to really struggle in free agency.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 19, 2016, 7:41 AM Post
tmwiese55 said:
The difference between Plumlee and all those contracts you mentioned is that he was restricted and it's now 3 weeks later so all the teams have blown their wad and don't have space left, those teams had to worry about other teams competing with their contracts. Plumlee had no negotiating power and still dominated our front office in the negotiation. I just can't believe they couldn't have gotten this done for 4ish less per year on a 3 yr deal, maybe a team option for year 4.

ON WSSP they said that teams were allegedly trying to clear contracts to make room for Plumlee, who knows how accurate that is. The market probably set him up for this type of contract, but there was no news on him visiting other teams or other teams interested in him.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 19, 2016, 7:50 AM Post
After watching Maker in the summer league, I don't think you have to look too far for a comp- it's Giannis. Maker is more of a perimeter player than Garnett on offense. He is a better ball handler and can shoot the 3.

I can see him developing as more of a true center on defense, but not on offense. He's not an athletic freak like Giannis, and I'm not saying Maker will ever be that good. I just think his game is similar- especially on offense.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 40  Next  [ 795 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply