LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  [ 72 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Winter Weather Thread (2016-19)

Offline  Re: Winter Weather Thread: 2016–17

Posted: January 05, 2018, 12:40 PM Post
Hit another small snowstorm on the way back, but this time I was in the middle of the West Virginia mountains. Only two hours left to drive, but that sorta scenario is too dangerous so I pulled over and waited it out.

Had co-workers taking care of my cats when I was gone. They pulled in my driveway this morning, saw my vehicle there, and honked the horn to say hello. So I guess I didn't need sleep.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 14, 2018, 2:52 PM Post
Decent storm coming tonight/tomorrow, especially for those of us near the lake.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: February 20, 2018, 4:12 PM Post
Global Moderator
Most of janesville that sits in the rock river valley is completely flooded today. Lots and lots of rain and no place for it to go.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 11, 2018, 2:21 PM Post
Only predicting 3-4" and 40mph winds by me, but I live a good six hours from the coast. Wilmington is hearing predictions of 40" of rain. Gonna pack some go-bags tomorrow as I'm expecting to get deployed out there. Typically they'll send us to a part to cut trees for a week, or direct traffic, or we'll stand on a road corner somewhere and be told "If a riot happens, let us know." They'll usually send most all of the Highway Patrol guys out there and they get the brunt of it, but they're very highly trained in all that. I'm still expecting to go, but I heard they've already deployed 400 National Guardsmen to help out, so it's always possible the last thing they'll need down there is more people.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 12, 2018, 11:06 AM Post

The Weatherman
Global Moderator
GAME05 said:
Only predicting 3-4" and 40mph winds by me, but I live a good six hours from the coast. Wilmington is hearing predictions of 40" of rain. Gonna pack some go-bags tomorrow as I'm expecting to get deployed out there. Typically they'll send us to a part to cut trees for a week, or direct traffic, or we'll stand on a road corner somewhere and be told "If a riot happens, let us know." They'll usually send most all of the Highway Patrol guys out there and they get the brunt of it, but they're very highly trained in all that. I'm still expecting to go, but I heard they've already deployed 400 National Guardsmen to help out, so it's always possible the last thing they'll need down there is more people.

Wow, good luck. Hopefully the storm slows down and weakens before it comes ashore. It's a really tough forecast with the storm stalling and meandering somewhere around the coast...been looking better for NC but worse for SC. The slower it goes the more it will weaken before landfall.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 09, 2018, 9:13 AM Post
Looks like about 10" of snow last night with predictions to snow until late evening today. Then changing over to occasional rain tonight. And as always around here, every snowstorm includes 2" of ice on the roads. Fortunately my park system proactively closes for big snow storms, because not long ago it wasn't like that. My power has flashed off twice this morning, so more than likely I'm going to lose it for good in the coming hours.

So realize I didn't update on the hurricane that came through here. We actually got two, though the second one was a lot quieter. A few deaths reported with the first one along the coast, because when they issue mandatory evacuation orders, a LOT of people do the "I've been living here all my life!" thing like the dude at Mt. St. Helens and get into trouble. I was deployed to a shelter for a week for the homeless/poor/immigrants who truly didn't have anywhere else to go, and that went pretty smoothly with only a few little troubles. The immigrants from Cameroon did a song and dance for everyone from their home country, which was pretty neat. I guess some other co-workers were sent to a shelter directly on the coast, and it turned out to be security work for a shelter of deployed EMTs/National Guard. That of course meant zero real security issues whatsoever, and so they instead went out with the First Aid folks to help in the community.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 09, 2018, 1:44 PM Post
Are we just too lazy to start a new weather thread? lol

Maybe just change the name of this one?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: December 10, 2018, 9:02 AM Post
GAME05 said:
So realize I didn't update on the hurricane that came through here. We actually got two, though the second one was a lot quieter. A few deaths reported with the first one along the coast, because when they issue mandatory evacuation orders, a LOT of people do the "I've been living here all my life!" thing like the dude at Mt. St. Helens and get into trouble.

Apparently, said dude was pretty infamous, but I sure didn't remember him from 1980. I visited the site in 2000 and he is remembered. Dude's name is easy to remember: Harry Truman.

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: Winter Weather Thread (2016-19)

Posted: January 24, 2019, 7:51 AM Post
Currently, the forecasted high next week Wednesday in Waukesha is minus 11, minus 3 in Milwaukee.

About 10 days ago I remember thinking..wow, what a great Winter so far, wouldn't it be something if we got less than 20 inches of snow all Winter and no bitterly cold temperatures. I've lived here all my life, I should know better.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 24, 2019, 9:11 AM Post
The wind chills are the real problem. Up north we are projected -26 for a temperature and -50 for a wind chill.

I am guessing there will be a lot of pipes freezing and/or bursting for a lot of people. We simply don't have much snow up here that typically insulates the ground. I probably have 3 inches in my yard if being generous.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 24, 2019, 10:28 AM Post
Heading to Hawaii Saturday morning. Actually on a whale watch boat the day the high is -11 here, lol.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 24, 2019, 12:19 PM Post
OldSchoolSnapper said:
Heading to Hawaii Saturday morning. Actually on a whale watch boat the day the high is -11 here, lol.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 24, 2019, 1:12 PM Post

The Weatherman
Global Moderator
It looks like an incredible cold blast next week--as cold as it can possibly get in this climate. Looks like widespread -20s (actual temperature) in southern WI. Not as long lived as the 1994 cold snap. Glad I'm not around for it.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 24, 2019, 1:18 PM Post
Interesting fact, coldest Wisconsin temperature was -55 in 1996.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 24, 2019, 1:40 PM Post
I don't know how it stacked up historically but 2014 sticks out as being brutally cold. I can pinpoint the year because I was in my old apartment and my first son was born. I had to walk the dogs without my fenced yard and I remember just being absolutely freezing doing that after work for what felt like two solid months.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 24, 2019, 1:53 PM Post
OldSchoolSnapper said:
I don't know how it stacked up historically but 2014 sticks out as being brutally cold. I can pinpoint the year because I was in my old apartment and my first son was born. I had to walk the dogs without my fenced yard and I remember just being absolutely freezing doing that after work for what felt like two solid months.

Feels as though every 5 or so years we are due for brutal cold stretch. I think 2013 was the spring here in Northern Wisconsin we got just an unreal 10+ inch snowstorm at least a week into May.

I am really hoping the snow holds off and we get a mild spring as far as snow goes. I hate how long it lingers on the ground up here.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 24, 2019, 4:31 PM Post
I don't understand post #32

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 24, 2019, 4:39 PM Post
Well I'm on the opposite end of the complaining spectrum here. We had our -55 wind chills a couple weeks ago, and -40 on Monday. Now it's in the 30s and raining, which poses a problem for me. I was planning to bike up the frozen river 7 miles to home for the weekend, but it's turning into a wet slushy mess and by tomorrow it might even be too wet for truck traffic.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 24, 2019, 4:56 PM Post
Patrick425 said:

It's a mock laughter meme, I think, I'm actually not totally sure, but that's what I think.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 24, 2019, 5:23 PM Post
Patrick425 said:

Old people [rolling eyes]

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  [ 72 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply