LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  [ 72 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Winter Weather Thread (2016-19)

Offline  Re: Winter Weather Thread (2016-19)

Posted: January 24, 2019, 6:19 PM Post

The Weatherman
Global Moderator
Seattle hasn't had a single day this year that would qualify as 'winter'. A handful of frosts but never colder than the mid-40s by afternoon. All of my bulbs are up and it looks like the early trees/shrubs wills start blooming in a week or two. Warmest January on record and one of the driest. Usually there are a couple of cold snaps/brief snowy periods but none to be had this year.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 24, 2019, 6:32 PM Post
MrTPlush said:
Patrick425 said:
I don't understand post #32

Old people [rolling eyes]

I got ya, bro. Good use. [laughing]

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 25, 2019, 7:46 AM Post
MrTPlush said:
Patrick425 said:
I don't understand post #32

Old people [rolling eyes]

Ha, I know [laughing]

I'm sorry, but some of the memes that are used are cryptic. I just can't tell what is going on there in that picture. Is that kid happy, sad, is there something wrong with the apple (I think that's what that is) he is eating? How does it relate to OldSchoolSnapper being in Hawaii?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 25, 2019, 8:09 AM Post
My interpretation was sort of "F you, that's not funny", I'm less familiar with that meme though and not sure how it's used.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 25, 2019, 9:51 AM Post
It’s a mocking/laugh face. Like when a friend brags about being in Hawaii when it’s 20 below at home and you respond with a mocking laugh. It’s that face.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 25, 2019, 1:14 PM Post
owbc said:
Seattle hasn't had a single day this year that would qualify as 'winter'. A handful of frosts but never colder than the mid-40s by afternoon. All of my bulbs are up and it looks like the early trees/shrubs wills start blooming in a week or two. Warmest January on record and one of the driest. Usually there are a couple of cold snaps/brief snowy periods but none to be had this year.

My wife and I are going to Seattle for three nights in May for our 10 year anniversary. What is the weather like there in early May?

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 25, 2019, 1:22 PM Post
Could see wind chills exceeding 60 below Wednesday morning in the LaX, Madison, Milwaukee areas. Yikes.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 25, 2019, 1:29 PM Post
BrewCrewForever said:
owbc said:

My wife and I are going to Seattle for three nights in May for our 10 year anniversary. What is the weather like there in early May?

Pretty nice. Likely 60s or 70s, but with Seattle you always have a shot at 40s and rain

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 25, 2019, 2:20 PM Post

The Weatherman
Global Moderator
OldSchoolSnapper said:
Pretty nice. Likely 60s or 70s, but with Seattle you always have a shot at 40s and rain

Yep, May is a really nice month in Seattle.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 25, 2019, 2:26 PM Post
And apparently another round of snow of TBD magnitude on Sunday night and Monday. Sounds like it could be some decent accumulations.

The forecast for next Wednesday is a HIGH of -9 and LOW of -21. That might be cancel school territory. Kids can't walk to school with those kind of temperatures.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 25, 2019, 2:43 PM Post
I'm honestly just hoping my flight gets out of here between storms safely. I was glad I got the "big one" so my neighbor didn't have to deal with that but looks like plenty more is on the way.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 27, 2019, 11:26 AM Post
Stay safe out there this week everyone. Make smart decisions when traveling. Those windchills coming are nothing to mess with.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 27, 2019, 7:45 PM Post
I feel like the fact that we are going to get a winter storm that will drop up to 14 inches of snow has hardly been talked about with all of the cold. Normally the snowstorm would be eating up every minute of news coverage.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 27, 2019, 8:42 PM Post
NeedMoreFans said:
I feel like the fact that we are going to get a winter storm that will drop up to 14 inches of snow has hardly been talked about with all of the cold. Normally the snowstorm would be eating up every minute of news coverage.

Regardless of what the media deems important, we are all in for a very rough week...

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 29, 2019, 2:22 PM Post

Brewerfan Staff
Board Administrator
Oh, you guys. This is INSANE.

My state agency is located on the UW-Madison campus. UW-Madison announced this morning (after what felt like undue hemming and hawing - I get to use that phrase all I want) that they're closing all but essential parts of campus from 5:00 today until noon Thursday - the same time frame as the wind chill warning. Essential means things like maintenance, public safety, dorm employees, health and animal care. None of the campus libraries will be open.

But my agency is not administratively part of campus, so we can only close to the public if the governor authorizes it. He has not done that. Right now the Department of Administration is meeting to consider our request to at least be able to reduce our hours to closing at 5:00 today and Wednesday.
Our night librarian is due at 4:00 and she doesn't know yet whether she's working tonight! My students are all bailing out, so if we do have to stay open, I'll be staying until 9:00 (after arriving at 7:45 AM).
I really don't want to come in tomorrow. We're allowed to stay home if we use leave time (which is no problem for me), but I don't have any student coverage. We don't know if buses will run on their normal schedule or switch to weekend type service.

I picked my career of public services and I don't typically shy away from its requirements, but this is messed. up. It's not like this cold wasn't forecast for most of the last week.

**Feel free to make me feel slightly better by commiserating, but keep it apolitical. This is a bureaucratic problem.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 29, 2019, 6:39 PM Post
hawing said:

**Feel free to make me feel slightly better by commiserating, but keep it apolitical. This is a bureaucratic problem.

Well the weather here in AZ will be in the 70's all week does this help?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 29, 2019, 7:42 PM Post
nate82 said:
hawing said:

Well the weather here in AZ will be in the 70's all week does this help?

With our windchill, we will be about 120 - 130 degress cooler than you.

Jealous?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 29, 2019, 8:49 PM Post
hawing said:

A couple of weeks ago we had similar up here in my part of AK, wind chills -56 I saw, high ambient of -25. Kids still had school, buses ran, it was pretty much business as normal. But, things are different here. Every vehicle has a plug that goes to a battery blanket and block heater. I think expecting the show to go on in WI is asking a lot. Probably half of the vehicles parked outside are not going to start. I remember that being the case during the '94 cold snap in Wisconsin. People also are much less likely to have the kind/quality of clothing required by those kinds of temperatures and conditions.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 30, 2019, 12:52 AM Post
I went out to start my car about halfway through my shift and it barely started after only being off for about four and a half hours (around 7 pm). Luckily I have a garage at home, but a lot of people are going to have issues in the morning if they need to leave their vehicle outside.

Tomorrow and tomorrow night are going to be a real treat... Stay safe everyone.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: January 30, 2019, 8:47 AM Post
Global Moderator
Well that cold last night and this morning was a different level of cold. I used to think that once you're in the negative numbers, it's all the same. But the feels like was -51 last night and the wind was crazy, up here in Minneapolis. Never felt anything like it. Super fun having to take your dogs out in this!

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  [ 72 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply