LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 37 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Fox Valley - Potential Move

Offline  Re: Fox Valley - Potential Move

Posted: December 28, 2016, 8:57 AM Post
Global Moderator
Thanks again for all the great info! I really appreciate it. I know one specific area was mentioned in a post but if anyone else has favorite areas with in one of the cities, fire away.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 05, 2017, 11:48 AM Post
Global Moderator
Well, it's been awhile since I last checked in. We were almost going to move to a different state completely, but it looks like now, this is going to be the move. Should be confirmed in the coming days. So much to think about and figure out in the coming weeks! Seems like from what I've heard from people on here, and what I've researched, I've got a few leaders in the clubhouse for areas to live. Neenah, Appleton North, and Greenville districts seem like the ones I'm most interested in. Our big question right now is city/subdivision type setting or rural. Both have their benefits. I was curious if anyone knew of a few areas in Appleton/Neenah that are very walkable. By walkable I mean, the ability to walk and get groceries, run errands, get a bite to eat, etc. We live in area like that right now and we really love it. I just don't know if there is an area that would be desirable and offer that type of convenience.

Any other input on this area would be great. I'm the type of person that loves to gather as much information as possible, so don't hold anything back! Thanks again for all the help! We are very excited to be back in Wisconsin (ask me that in January next year)!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 05, 2017, 2:13 PM Post
Not really an area like that unless you lived in downtown Appleton. But everything is very close by bike or car in any of those areas. Greenville is definitely more rural than the others. As I've said before, best thing you could do is spend a day driving around each area you're looking at , and you'll get a pretty good feel for it right away.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 06, 2017, 12:42 PM Post
I live in what would probably be considered the worst neighborhood in Appleton on E Wisconsin ave. My original plan was to fix up a crappy house and sell it to move to a better neighborhood. We changed our minds because the neighborhood wasn't so bad, we really liked the house and being close to our shop (ten blocks away.) It also doesn't hurt to have some very good ethnic grocery stores within walking distance either since I love to cook. I would probably have moved if we had kids though. Mostly because of who they would be hanging out with as opposed to fear for their safety. If you avoid the area between College and Wisconsin north to south and Meade and Richmond east to west it's just fine for the city itself. Like others have said there are some very nice suburbs surrounding Appleton that is probably better suited for a young family. If you like biking around town Appleton is kind of behind the times on that but slowly catching up.
They are working on doing a PBS show on Appleton that might help if you don't plan on moving too soon. I don't know when they plan to air it but they called us to set up a time to shoot some footage of our gorilla/shop in early June so it won't be for a while yet. When they come I'll ask if you're interested.

The artist formerly known as BUC.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 12, 2017, 6:41 AM Post
Global Moderator
Thanks for all the info Thurston. I would still like to see the special even if we've already moved, so keep me posted. It looks like the move will be end of May or early June. Does anyone have any more information on Hortonville School District? Does it have more of a country/small town feeling to it, or is it similar to Neenah/Appleton? Also, are there certain areas in Neenah/Appleton or the country area to the west, that any of you really like? Areas to target.

Any other information or opinions on the area would be greatly appreciated. Like I said, I like to know as much as I can going in to the search.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 13, 2017, 2:47 PM Post
Hortonville is fairly large but it is in a small town setting. It gets a lot of students from rural areas. I have had many dealings with them through the years and they are quite friendly. The area west of Neenah is rural very quickly but growing. An area you might want to check out is the Sherwood area just east of Menasha. I don't know where the borderline is but Sherwood itself is part for the Hilbert or Brillion school district which are both small schools. So if you are looking for that sort of thing the areas east of the river are probably going to be more to your liking.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 13, 2017, 3:27 PM Post
Global Moderator
This website can give you more details on different neighborhoods/cities and their walkability:

https://www.walkscore.com/WI/Appleton

Appleton as a whole doesn't grade very well but a few neighborhoods aren't bad.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 13, 2017, 4:46 PM Post
The Mahler Farms area in Neenah is fairly walkable to grocery stores and Cranky Pat's - a pizza place where site founder Brian has DJ'd before

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 13, 2017, 8:48 PM Post
homer said:
This website can give you more details on different neighborhoods/cities and their walkability:

I looked at that link and it was spot on with Appleton being a car dependant city. Not only dependant but until recently not really interested in catering to bikes at all. It is changing slowly but still not where it needs to be. Very few bike lanes and places to park bikes are pretty much nonexistent. I love Appleton but that does bug me.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 14, 2017, 2:00 PM Post

Brewerfan Staff
Board Administrator
homer said:

With apologies for going a bit off topic for a post...I just entered the hawing address into Walkscore and got a 78. Woot.
Carry on.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 14, 2017, 5:28 PM Post
Global Moderator
hawing said:
homer said:

With apologies for going a bit off topic for a post...I just entered the hawing address into Walkscore and got a 78. Woot.
Carry on.

We got a 97...granted this does not take crime into account. So while I can walk everywhere I need to dodge police tape every so often [smile]

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 01, 2017, 8:24 AM Post
Global Moderator
Anyone familiar with Winneconne? Both the school district and town. Also, anyone know anything about the lakes right there? Are they nice?

Thanks!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 01, 2017, 12:00 PM Post
Hello RobDeer,
I live on the north shore of Lake Winnebago. A good resource for looking into the quality of a lake is the DNR website.
http://dnr.wi.gov/lakes/lakepages/results.aspx
You'll be able to see the contour of a lake along with where there is a sand bottom vs. muck.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 03, 2017, 2:17 PM Post
My father in law lived in winneconne forever. Nice, tight knit, little town with very friendly people. The Finn and Feather is pretty popular with decent food/atmosphere. They also have a riverboat that goes out regularly for additional fun. It has great fishing and the lake is really nice in that area. Like all small lakes it gets green later on in summer. I honestly don't know much about the school other than most people I know who went there liked it and it is fairly small. It has a very nice swimming hole that I think was man made. It combines the elements of a pool and beach pretty well. If you have young kids it is nice and safe. Very scenic overall but the police tend to be pretty strict when it comes to speeding and such. Another place close to Winneconne and very similar in most respects is Omro. If you are looking for small town, Mayberry style living both are pretty much up your ally.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 12, 2017, 12:26 PM Post
Global Moderator
Made it back to WI!

Anyone have any hesitations with Hortonville/Greenville? I think we are leaning towards that because of a lot we found.

Thanks again for all the information from before.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 13, 2017, 7:14 AM Post
We are actually in the process of building a house in Dale (5 minutes south of Hortonville) but it will be the Hortonville school district. We wanted to have a big yard and we've heard great things about the school district so we were drawn to the area.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 19, 2017, 10:31 AM Post
Global Moderator
BrewCrew02 - sorry for the late response. Been crazy. Ya, we are leaning that way too. Big yard, country feel, but still close to town. I'm glad you've heard good things about the school district. I've tried to do as much research as I can. I wish school was in so I could get a feel for the schools while they are in action. Oh well!

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 37 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply