LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  [ 119 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Video Games

Offline  Re: Video Games

Posted: April 03, 2020, 3:44 PM Post
I don't get the sense that the PSVR actually breaks that often. My comment was more just being frustrated.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 11, 2020, 6:24 PM Post
Anybody ever play Strategic Command WWII : World at War?

https://www.slitherine.com/game/strateg ... rld-at-war

I'm thinking about getting this as I have a bunch of vacation time coming up. I'm not much of a gamer, but have always wanted to try one of these strategic turned-based war games. Interested in this one because it doesn't seem to be so objective-driven, but pretty much opens up the world and allows the player to strategize on the global stage. Being able to play as the Allied Powers or the Axis Powers seems like a pretty cool feature that would add a lot to replay value.

Any comments on this game or any other strategic war games would be appreciated.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 16, 2020, 4:27 PM Post
The PS5 prices were announced today 499.99 with a disc and 399.99 for digital only. Not bad for what you are getting either way. I think I am going to wait a year before I get one.

https://blog.playstation.com/2020/09/16 ... isc-drive/

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 16, 2020, 5:27 PM Post
I think a used PS4 will be a Christmas gift for the brother. He'll never play anything, but the parents live nearby him and we'd all be able to play Jackbox together. And since the brother-in-law already has one, it'll be fun to say "This is a gift for the whole family, except Rebecca."

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 16, 2020, 8:17 PM Post
I'll be getting the ps5 on drop day...I'm a fan boy sucker.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 17, 2020, 5:48 AM Post
JosephC said:

I'm thinking about getting this as I have a bunch of vacation time coming up. I'm not much of a gamer, but have always wanted to try one of these strategic turned-based war games. Interested in this one because it doesn't seem to be so objective-driven, but pretty much opens up the world and allows the player to strategize on the global stage. Being able to play as the Allied Powers or the Axis Powers seems like a pretty cool feature that would add a lot to replay value.

Any comments on this game or any other strategic war games would be appreciated.

I've got the Europe version of Strategic Command. Reasonably easy to play wargame.

I think events are a bit too "canned" in this game. I don't care for how Denmark and Norway are automatically taken as the game goes. Also, if you don't attack the Russians, they'll declare war on you by 1942, which is ahistorical.

I play a lot of War in the Pacific - Admirals Edition. A truly monster wargame. I have an opponent in Australia and Austria for both my games. Probably the best Pacific War game out there.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 17, 2020, 6:36 PM Post
Zad Fnark said:
JosephC said:

I've got the Europe version of Strategic Command. Reasonably easy to play wargame.

I think events are a bit too "canned" in this game. I don't care for how Denmark and Norway are automatically taken as the game goes. Also, if you don't attack the Russians, they'll declare war on you by 1942, which is ahistorical.

I play a lot of War in the Pacific - Admirals Edition. A truly monster wargame. I have an opponent in Australia and Austria for both my games. Probably the best Pacific War game out there.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. One of the things that interest me about Strategic Command: WWII World At War is that is the triggering of certain events AND the fact that some scenarios play out contradicting history...I can understand why that is a big turnoff for many but it seems like it would add to replay value which is something I'm interested in.

I'll have to check out some video for the War in the Pacific game and see if I might be interested in switching and getting that one instead. Thanks again.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 17, 2020, 7:11 PM Post
No prob. Slitherine/Matrix also puts out WITP. Their forum is very helpful to new people. They're very welcoming. I've got two after action reports currently going. I'm Mundy over there.

Its predecessor from 2002, Uncommon Valor, was a very scaled down version of this game, and I started with that, way back when. It just dealt with the Solomons Campaign. The first WITP was just this game on steriods.

With any wargame, you'll deal with people who deal with serious ahistorical strategies. In one of my current games, I lost all of India. Just part and parcel for this genre.

The whole Norway instantly flipping to my control sorta flipped me off a bit. In real life, the Germans practically lost half their navy taking that country.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 18, 2020, 8:02 AM Post
stoutdude04 said:
I'll be getting the ps5 on drop day...I'm a fan boy sucker.

Assuming my pre-order doesn't get cancelled, I'm right there with you. Excited to have more 4k content for my 4k TV!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 18, 2020, 8:50 AM Post
How many games will the PS5 have? If I remember right, when the PS4 came out, there wasn't much advantage to buying the console because the games really didn't get pushed out right away.

"I'm not as good as I was but in big moments I'm still the guy. I want that opportunity." -Ryan Braun

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 18, 2020, 9:55 AM Post
Brew4U said:
How many games will the PS5 have? If I remember right, when the PS4 came out, there wasn't much advantage to buying the console because the games really didn't get pushed out right away.

https://kotaku.com/heres-the-playstatio ... 1845082953

Admittedly most of the launch titles I’m interested in are also available on PS4, but I’ll gladly play the graphics improved versions of Spider-Man: Miles Morales, Avengers, etc., while waiting on a PS5 version of Cyberpunk & Overwatch 2.

There’s also the PS+ collection (PS4 games made free when buying in to online gaming), which will get me to give God of War another try...I’ve played earlier ones, they never connected with me. Persona 5 was one of my favorite PS4 games, so I recommend it for anyone who grew up on jRPGs, especially over Final Fantasy XV.

This is my first console preorder. I know that I’m going to end up buying one before a price drop, so why not grab it Day 1?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 18, 2020, 10:32 AM Post
I have been in the checkout for a pre-order 3 times. All 3 times it was sold out before getting it...ugh.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Video Games

Posted: September 20, 2020, 7:05 AM Post
Global Moderator
The “Mafia: Definitive Edition” comes out this week, I believe. I am pretty excited. I used to play the heck out of that game, modded it up, and everything. Recently, I re-installed it with some modern mods and it looks great, but I’m excited to get my hands on this update.

Please don’t suck.

- - - - - - - - -
P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Quote   Reply 

Posted: September 20, 2020, 12:52 PM Post
pitchleague said:
The “Mafia: Definitive Edition” comes out this week, I believe. I am pretty excited. I used to play the heck out of that game, modded it up, and everything. Recently, I re-installed it with some modern mods and it looks great, but I’m excited to get my hands on this update.

Please don’t suck.

Uggg I hate all of these remastered games that are hitting the video game market. I get why people want them but it just seems very lazy to just rehash and resell a game with just improved graphics. There isn't really anything new being added to these games other than updated graphics.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Video Games

Posted: September 21, 2020, 10:03 PM Post
Global Moderator
nate82 said:
pitchleague said:

Please don’t suck.

Uggg I hate all of these remastered games that are hitting the video game market. I get why people want them but it just seems very lazy to just rehash and resell a game with just improved graphics. There isn't really anything new being added to these games other than updated graphics.

Believe me, I do understand what you are saying.

This Mafia game is not a remaster, from what I've seen. They have changed a LOT. At least, that's what I've read in some articles and have seen in some videos.

I guess time will tell. I plan on replaying the original and then the new version right after it. And I plan on having fun regardless. I may, however, wait a week or two and see some "final" reviews first.

Anyway, gaming is good. That is all.

- - - - - - - - -
P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 03, 2020, 6:02 AM Post
Hate to post this under "video games", but this has kept me busy lately. DCS World. A fairly hardcore military flight sim. You can download the basic package for free, which includes a trainer version of the P-51 and the Russian SU-25T. Everything else you buy as modules.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 03, 2020, 3:04 PM Post
Zad Fnark said:
Hate to post this under "video games", but this has kept me busy lately. DCS World. A fairly hardcore military flight sim. You can download the basic package for free, which includes a trainer version of the P-51 and the Russian SU-25T. Everything else you buy as modules.

I haven't played DCS in a long time but my favorite was Black Shark. I really hate that helicopter well flying it can be a love hate relationship but it does look cool.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 03, 2020, 4:04 PM Post
That and the Mi-8 seem hard to fly right.

When they were giving free samples out a few months ago, I tried the UH-1 and found I could handle it pretty well.

I've bought almost all the jets in this game.

It's what I tried to do in real life once upon a time, but color blindness wrecked that career path.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: October 03, 2020, 4:04 PM Post
That and the Mi-8 seem hard to fly right.

When they were giving free samples out a few months ago, I tried the UH-1 and found I could handle it pretty well.

I've bought almost all the jets in this game.

It's what I tried to do in real life once upon a time, but color blindness wrecked that career path.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 30, 2020, 11:24 AM Post
I'm considering ordering the oculus quest 2 I have been seeing all this hype about. I've been wanting to get some kind of VR system for a long time and the quest 2 seems like it would get me in at a much lower price point than getting the whole PSVR system. I haven't had much luck figuring out if it's a viable system for offline use. I realize some games where you play with other people you'd need to be online for sure, but what about the rest? I could take it to work and install games and updates as needed no problem, we have a big pipe there. At home is a different story, I get 30gb/month so I don't even bother with wifi, just ethernet into the laptop.
Also, do you have to be signed into facebook on the thing in order to play?

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  [ 119 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply