LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  [ 135 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

All Things Hockey:

Offline  Re: All Things Hockey:

Posted: February 25, 2017, 2:02 AM Post
trwi7 said:
Their defense is worse than their goaltending, which makes the goaltending look worse than it is.

True. They were especially pathetic tonight.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 17, 2017, 11:59 PM Post
Badger men play for a place in the tournament tomorrow (well, I guess today) against Penn State. Winning is their only chance of getting in as those two losses to Northern Michigan and getting swept by Ohio State in the last series of the year knocked them down.

Badger women play for the national title against Clarkson on Sunday at 2 pm on Big Ten Network. The Badgers beat Boston College 1-0 on a goal with 16 seconds left. Clarkson beat Minnesota 4-3 on a goal with 1:31 left.

Cards' fans wear jorts.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 18, 2017, 8:31 AM Post
nodakfan17 said:
danzig6767 said:
nodakfan17 said:
My wife and I enjoy hockey. She's from North Dakota, where the University of North Dakota has won 8 NCAA Division I National Championships, including the most recent one. How does a town of 50,000 sell out a 12,000 seat arena every other weekend? They win games. Lots of games.

It also helps that there are no pro sports in North Dakota. That hockey program probably has state wide love.

Speaking of real North Dakota hockey, as a big Badgers hockey fan, i miss playing North Dakota home and away every year. They along with Minnesota used to be the Badgers biggest rivals. Plus, i thought they had the best looking uniforms in college hockey, especially when they still had the Fighting Sioux head on the front.

You're right in that it probably helps that there are no professional sports teams in North Dakota, but the college basketball season runs concurrently with hockey and the UND men's team draws fewer than 4,000 per game. It they started making the NCAA tourney every year, I'm sure their following would grow, but there's just not much to be excited about there (even if it is Division I men's basketball).

I miss the rivalries with Wisconsin and Minnesota, but those programs will be just fine (as will North Dakota). Growing up in Wisconsin, I have great memories of watching Badger hockey late at night on PBS with my dad. I'll always be a fan of the old WCHA teams.

Notre Dame is in the Big Ten now for hockey - what the heck?

Too funny that my outlook on North Dakota men's basketball has changed so drastically in 2 months ... Even though Arizona dropped 100 on them in the first round of the NCAA tournament, they still grew their following by going 22-9 and winning the Big Sky for the first time (regular season and tournament). Today, I just ordered UND basketball sweatshirts for my son and I (everything else my family owns says "hockey" after "North Dakota"). You cannot deny that, regardless of sport, winning is the key to building a following in the major professional leagues and NCAA Division I.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 18, 2017, 8:42 AM Post
trwi7 said:
Badger men play for a place in the tournament tomorrow (well, I guess today) against Penn State. Winning is their only chance of getting in as those two losses to Northern Michigan and getting swept by Ohio State in the last series of the year knocked them down.

Badger women play for the national title against Clarkson on Sunday at 2 pm on Big Ten Network. The Badgers beat Boston College 1-0 on a goal with 16 seconds left. Clarkson beat Minnesota 4-3 on a goal with 1:31 left.

Good luck, Badgers. I would love to see a classic Wisconsin / North Dakota matchup in the NCAAs.

I love the Pairwise rankings - it's probably the fairest way to select tournament teams (vs. football or basketball). After you seed the conference tournament winners (who sometimes have lower rankings but qualify based on their conference auto-bid), teams basically have to be in the top 10-12 of the Pairwise rankings to make the tournament. However, I do find it odd that college hockey teams play series all year, but then play single games to decide a national champion.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 18, 2017, 9:53 AM Post
Global Moderator
Blackhawks are on fire.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 19, 2017, 7:57 AM Post
Too bad for bucky. They outplayed them for thr 3rd and 1st overtime. They got a little sloppy in the 2nd ot and jones was a monster for psu.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: March 20, 2017, 3:27 AM Post
That game left me sick to my stomach. So many chances to end that game for Wisconsin. Had to be such a gut punch to those players to dominate like that, but not see one of those pucks not find the net.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 01, 2017, 6:03 AM Post
The University of North Dakota cut women's hockey on Wednesday ... huge bummer.

NCAA women's hockey was officially sanctioned in 2002 and UND was considered a Top 10 program out of the 30 or so DI women's programs that exist today. Unfortunately, they never enjoyed a high level of success (0 national titles, 0 conference titles, 2 playoff appearances). A large part of that was due to the highly successful programs at Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Duluth, which effectively blocked UND's program from greater exposure.

The optics of the situation could not be any worse. The Title IX boo birds are out in full force. In the era of "twitter journalism," no one mentions that baseball was cut last year, or that all of the women's hockey scholarships will be re-allocated to other women's sports at UND, or that women's hockey costs (loses) $1.9 million per year.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 01, 2017, 9:30 AM Post
Global Moderator
It sounds like cutting the program was a necessity, given the expense of hockey and the lack of money coming in. It's too bad, but I don't think the university can be faulted for that.

The handling of the announcement and the apparent lack of communication is where the "bad optics" come into play for me.

A friend of my daughter's just completed her senior year as a member of the UND women's hockey team. According to her, they found out about the cut after practice on social media a few hours before any announcement was made. An article we read online posted by a UND graduate said a recruit on campus was informed mid-visit (after watching a practice) of the cut.

It sounds like either the university wasn't communicating the possibility the program could be cut or the coaches were not communicating with the players and possible recruits. Maybe they couldn't- it would have probably killed the program to know it may be cut- but the team and incoming recruits are the ones who are suffering the consequences, and they deserved better.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 04, 2017, 5:02 PM Post
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nhl-will-n ... 41818.html

It was announced the other day that NHL players will not be participating in the 2018 Winter Olympics. Very disappointing and as usual greed has everything to do with it. NHL owners want more money for letting their "assets" play. Meanwhile The IOC doesn't want to spread their wealth at all. So it's the fans, and probably the ratings, that will suffer. The NHL seem to be the only sports whose stars actually want to participate and now that isn't going to be happening. I'll still watch becuase I love international hockey but man this is disappointing. The US has some very good young talent like Eichel and Matthews that will miss out, as well as a few older guys like Kessel who likely will not get another chance to play in the Olympics.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 04, 2017, 7:39 PM Post
Play with college guys. Fine with me.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 05, 2017, 3:18 AM Post
Not that I'm terribly against that, but they already have a tournament consisting entirely of college guys, at least on the US side. There's just something about a tournament with all the best players in the world representing their country. Unlike the NBA and MLB where most of the best guys usually sit out even when pros are allowed to play, the NHLs stars are always out there representing the US. It's a shame that money is preventing them from doing that.

Alex Ovechin said he was going to play regardless. I wonder if enough players just said "screw it we're playing regardless" would the NHL owners kinda of have to take a break?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 05, 2017, 6:53 AM Post
Alex Ovechin said he was going to play regardless. I wonder if enough players just said "screw it we're playing regardless" would the NHL owners kinda of have to take a break?[/quote]

I believe the Caps owner said he'd back any of his players who wanted to leave for the olympics. It will be more interesting to see what they do if it involves missing two weeks or so of the season, which could amount to 5-6 games, while teams are fighting for playoff spots. Does an owner of a team who's somewhere in the mix for 6-8 in the conference where 4 points from two wins could mean missing the playoffs react differently than, say, this years caps who you could literally take out 10 of their wins and they'd still be like the 5 seed in the conference?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 05, 2017, 1:04 PM Post
Brew4U said:
Play with college guys. Fine with me.

Not me. The Olympics hockey with NHL players is my favorite hockey event outside of when the Badgers are in the NCAA Tournament.

It's basically a series of All-Star games where the players actually care about winning and silly fighting doesn't take place.

I'll probably still watch if college kids play instead, but it will take a big chunk of my excitement for the hockey event.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 05, 2017, 1:51 PM Post
Playoffs again for the Admirals. Clinched last night with a Cleveland loss.

Their last game went pretty well. Especially since they were down 2-0 6:41 in.

Best seats in the house in my book.

Cards' fans wear jorts.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 05, 2017, 6:21 PM Post
Not me. The Olympics hockey with NHL players is my favorite hockey event outside of when the Badgers are in the NCAA Tournament.

Outside of the Michigan-Ohio St college football game, USA vs Canada is my favorite sporting event between two specific teams to watch. I watch the World Juniors every year but there is really something special about a USA-Canada Olympic hockey game, especially when pros are playing.

As far as the Admirals go, awesome job on making the playoffs. It's a bit of a long shot but I'm still hoping for a division title.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 06, 2017, 5:35 PM Post
paul253 said:

Outside of the Michigan-Ohio St college football game, USA vs Canada is my favorite sporting event between two specific teams to watch. I watch the World Juniors every year but there is really something special about a USA-Canada Olympic hockey game, especially when pros are playing.

I love to watch every Olympics game which USA plays in with pros because many of the teams be it Canada, Russia, Sweden, Finland, Czechoslovakia, etc they also have quite a few pros on their rosters also and i'll even watch some non-USA games. I likely won't watch those non-USA games though if the pros are gone.

It's so rare in any sport to have something close to All-Star rosters going against each other in games where the teams and players are actually trying their hardest to win, unlike the NBA/NFL/NHL All-Star games which are unwatchable.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 08, 2017, 2:00 PM Post
BillScottCanRake said:
It sounds like cutting the program was a necessity, given the expense of hockey and the lack of money coming in. It's too bad, but I don't think the university can be faulted for that.

The handling of the announcement and the apparent lack of communication is where the "bad optics" come into play for me.

A friend of my daughter's just completed her senior year as a member of the UND women's hockey team. According to her, they found out about the cut after practice on social media a few hours before any announcement was made. An article we read online posted by a UND graduate said a recruit on campus was informed mid-visit (after watching a practice) of the cut.

It sounds like either the university wasn't communicating the possibility the program could be cut or the coaches were not communicating with the players and possible recruits. Maybe they couldn't- it would have probably killed the program to know it may be cut- but the team and incoming recruits are the ones who are suffering the consequences, and they deserved better.

The decision to eliminate women's hockey at North Dakota was based on economics - plain and simple.

10 years ago, North Dakota was being praised as a model for good state governance. They were one of the few states to run budget surpluses during the most recent financial crisis. Oil prices were high and the ample supply on the Bakken plane generated significant tax revenue for the state. Predictably, government spending increased to match revenue. Now, oil prices are lower and the most accessible supplies have tapped. Government spending must be decreased to match revenue. The legislature in Bismark mandated a $1.3 million reduction in athletics spending. Baseball was already cut last Spring. Women's hockey has known they were on the chopping block for at least a year.

I could see keeping women's hockey at UND if they were any of the following: 1) profitable 2) successful 3) popular. None of the above apply.

There is only one North Dakota native on the team. Half of the roster is made up of foreign players and the other half Minnesotans. Anyone advocating to keep the program is basically asking students and tax payers to subsidize Olympic development for foreign countries and organized hockey for girls who weren't good enough to play at Minnesota or Duluth. It sucks, but I get it.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 08, 2017, 2:02 PM Post
Duluth and Denver for the natty tonight.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 08, 2017, 3:15 PM Post
UMD alum here (bigger Badger fan though) but hoping for a big W tonight.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  [ 135 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply