LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34  Next  [ 665 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

What's bugging you? (2017)

Offline  Re: What's bugging you? (2017)
Posted: September 10, 2018, 9:30 AM Post
Sandwhich lines are the worst....my college had a sandwhich place within it and a certain kind of people FaceTimed 24/7 and the sandwhich line was no different. The got annoyed sometimes because they were asked so many questions and multiple times...

Unreal.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 10, 2018, 2:43 PM Post
Having worked at Subway, we oftentimes just wouldn't serve someone unless they got off their phone, and told them as much. It slowed the entire line up and it was really annoying. Unrelated but also annoying were the people who'd ask for an individual topping but wait until you completely finished putting it on before they asked for their next topping.
-------

So I'm finishing up a 10-day shift which included working our biggest festival in brutal heat/humidity. And as soon as this shift is done, it's pretty likely that I'll be deployed to the coast to help with the hurricane. I'm tired.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 16, 2018, 3:11 PM Post
[angry] I hate sports.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 17, 2018, 5:04 AM Post
Just want to echo the crappy Wisconsin sports weekend. 0-3, really? The big three let me down. Thankfully they don't usually make it a habit.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 17, 2018, 1:58 PM Post
Watched the Packers game at a restaurant/bar with a group of people. Split the bill by 3 (credit cards.) Now I see today I was charged for the entire amount. Checked with the others, they were charged for 1/3 each. I'm sure it will get resolved, but now I have to spend time on this.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 17, 2018, 2:43 PM Post
My family runs a large pumpkin farm and it has been impossible to find new quality employees. Adults are worse than the kids too...

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 19, 2018, 8:47 PM Post
My community was hit with a mass shooting today. I am not handling it very well.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 20, 2018, 7:35 AM Post
NeedMoreFans said:
My community was hit with a mass shooting today. I am not handling it very well.

My cousin works at WTS Paradigm. Thankfully he's okay.... but it's just awful.

The National Council of Family Relations put together a solid list of resources. If you need them, utilize them. Talk. Cope. Find your best way to deal with the trauma. Internalizing things will only cause you more pain in the long term.

https://www.ncfr.org/resources/resource-collections/coping-wake-shootings-mass-violence-and-terrorism

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Twitter: @MKEHiker

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 20, 2018, 7:50 AM Post
My brother-in-law lives in Iowa, small town, small community of about 5,000 people, mostly rural.

A coupe of weeks ago, a 12 year old walks up to his teacher, points a gun at her and pulls the trigger. Luckily, the student was not smart enough to remove the safety, and the gun did not go off. Teacher knocked the gun out of his hands, the class immediately jumped on top of the kid and held him down until the cops/and or other help arrived on the scene. What would have happened had that gun went off is anyone's guess. Would he have started shooting students, would he have turned the gun on himself? Thankfully, we'll never know. That teacher though, how do you come back from that? She absolutely could be dead.

I'm assuming they have an ALICE plan in their school which promotes FIGHT if necessary. That would explain the other students in the room jumping the shooter. I don't know if the teacher told them to jump him, or if they did it on their own. Either way, it's impressive that they acted so quickly.

This can happen anyplace, anytime in our nation's schools. There is no way outside of metal detectors and body searches to stop it. Even then, kids can wait outside after school or before school and start picking other kids and staff off with rifles, assault guns, pistols, pipe bombs, whatever...

Being a high school teacher, this touches me pretty deeply as I know that on any given day, this can happen at my school. There are no schools that are exempt from this danger, none. Every school has a certain population of kids that could do it, it's just a matter of will they make that decision someday, or won't they. If they make that decision, will other kids in the know report it before it happens?

It's scary.

Last edited by turborickey on September 20, 2018, 10:54 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 20, 2018, 9:06 AM Post
Global Moderator
turbo, I think about this every stinking day. And I teach in an elementary school.

It seems just about once every couple of weeks, some kid brings a weapon to school, whether it be a knife, plastic gun, or whatever.

Last school year, a second grade girl was expelled because she had a small gun in her backpack. She had absolutely NO idea it was in there. Apparently, the family was out camping over the weekend and dad, in a hurry to pack stuff up, put the gun in her backpack, meaning to unpack it when they got home. Well, he forgot about it. Rules are rules, though, and the girl--a total sweetheart and overall great kid--had to be kicked out. THAT was a crazy day at school.

I pray that it never happens in our town or at my school, but, really, I pray that it doesn't happen ANYWHERE. It's sad that sometimes kids think that is the only solution.

- - - - - - - - -
P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: What's bugging you? (2017)
Posted: September 20, 2018, 10:29 AM Post
pitchleague said:
turbo, I think about this every stinking day. And I teach in an elementary school.

It seems just about once every couple of weeks, some kid brings a weapon to school, whether it be a knife, plastic gun, or whatever.

Last school year, a second grade girl was expelled because she had a small gun in her backpack. She had absolutely NO idea it was in there. Apparently, the family was out camping over the weekend and dad, in a hurry to pack stuff up, put the gun in her backpack, meaning to unpack it when they got home. Well, he forgot about it. Rules are rules, though, and the girl--a total sweetheart and overall great kid--had to be kicked out. THAT was a crazy day at school.

I pray that it never happens in our town or at my school, but, really, I pray that it doesn't happen ANYWHERE. It's sad that sometimes kids think that is the only solution.

I feel awful for that girl, and feel that dad was incredibly irresponsible. I mean, come on. First of all a gun is not a can of bug spray, you just do not throw it wherever in an attempt to clean up quickly from a camping trip. It should be handled responsibly and should not have been anywhere near the girl's backpack at any point.

And after all that to just...forget about it? Really? Again, it's a gun. You do not just forget about your gun.

It's a shame that she had to be made an example of in front of her school and have her life turned upside down because of dad's careless actions.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 20, 2018, 10:30 AM Post
Global Moderator
Turbo, what a scary story! It's just so messed up. I won't get in to the politics or potential solutions because there are a lot of thoughts on it. I will say that it scares me so much hearing my kindergartner tell us about his lockdown drills. I'm so sad that kids have to grow up in a world where they have to worry about this happening in their schools. That's so wrong.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 20, 2018, 10:46 AM Post

The Weatherman
Global Moderator
pitchleague said:

That's incredibly pathetic, makes my blood boil. Why does the poor, innocent girl have to be the victim? The parents should be the ones facing charges/penalties.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 20, 2018, 10:47 AM Post
pitchleague said:
turbo, I think about this every stinking day.

Same, we have to.

[sad]

It's just another part of the day in the life of a teacher, that when I started in this profession, wasn't even a consideration.

What teacher in 1990 thought that one day I can go to school, and possibly get shot, and not go home from school, ever again.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 20, 2018, 11:20 AM Post
Columbine 1999. The day society seems to have changed forever. It sucks. I hate even having to have those discussions in my classrooms but they are necessary.

Turbo, do you know the town it happened in? I taught in Iowa three years previous to this one.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 20, 2018, 11:45 AM Post
Global Moderator
To those that responded . . . .

I wholeheartedly agree that the dad was totally irresponsible and the little girl was not at fault. Many of us (most?) felt TERRIBLE for her. I believe that there was talk at one point that the school board would make an exception for her to return to school but it was decided not to pursue it because "once you make one exception, then others will be looking for exceptions, too." Or at least that's what I was told.

I remember that we had a very lively discussion about it at our staff meeting later that week. There were many staff members that were incredulous that the whole event happened in the first place. The gun literally sat in her backpack all day long and wasn't discovered until the end of the day when she had to put some papers/homework/whatever in her backpack before dismissal. Apparently, she screamed out, "Oh no!" and the teacher found it and, the next thing you know, the sherriff's department showed up.

I believe they moved out of state after the incident. I hope she's okay and not scarred for life because of this.

- - - - - - - - -
P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 20, 2018, 12:34 PM Post
Brew4U said:
Columbine 1999. The day society seems to have changed forever. It sucks. I hate even having to have those discussions in my classrooms but they are necessary.

Turbo, do you know the town it happened in? I taught in Iowa three years previous to this one.

Not sure of spelling... Eldridge I think?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/educatio ... 2f1d3af52d

The news story is a bit different than what the town knows happened based on people in the room at the time. The article says the teacher wrestled the student, but the story in town is that she knocked the gun away and the kids jumped him. My brother in law thought that they didn't want the second part of the story in the media, why I do not know. Either way, it was a pretty bad situation, and that teacher has a new lease on life...

https://www.kwqc.com/content/news/New-d ... 28041.html

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 20, 2018, 1:54 PM Post

The Weatherman
Global Moderator
Thanks for the additional details pitchleague.

I don't want to comment further because the issue upsets me but I just want to thank the teachers in this thread for the incredibly difficult job they do for these reasons and others.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 20, 2018, 2:14 PM Post
Not a teacher but I did work at a high school and monitored students throughout the day. While not a top reason why I left the job, a potential shooting was probably in the top 10. We had drills but it seemed neither the students nor teachers took them very seriously. We were basically told it's up to the teacher/monitor whether to hide or flee in that situation. My room was unique in that it was windowless, there were multiple entrances/exits, and also a couple rooms within the room. For each period I had a mental plan about what to do if something happened based on the number and makeup of the students, whether to barricade and hunker down or head out the other door and run.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 20, 2018, 4:11 PM Post
I wasn't affected at all by this shooting, but my kids' schools were locked down for an hour or so. I don't know why it shook me so much.

I'm also a high school teacher and think about mass shootings a lot. Then the story emerges yesterday afternoon that a student at a Madison school accidentally fired a gun on a bus after school and shot two of his friends. I asked the question, "did that student have the gun with him at school all day?" Then I thought about how many students are carrying a gun at my school?

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34  Next  [ 665 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply