LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41  Next  [ 802 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

What's bugging you? (2017-2018)

Offline  Re: What's bugging you? (2017)
Posted: December 14, 2018, 12:25 PM Post
Complete job security?

What bugs me is people commenting on things that they have NO IDEA on. I mean clueless completely about..... I don't claim to be an expert on other people's jobs but it's funny how everyone is an expert when it comes to education.

Posted: December 14, 2018, 12:31 PM Post
FVBrewerFan said:
Political Forum would be the appropriate place for teachers to voice concerns about their massive pensions, pay schedule they knew going in, months of time off, and complete job security.

Pay schedule has changed multiple times. Benefits have changed twice. I have to work during the summer since I dont get paid a lot. I also have to take classes and training over the summer, but yea, you nailed it.

These are the types of responses that I hear often and why the profession is looked down upon.

Posted: December 14, 2018, 12:39 PM Post
stoutdude04 said:
FVBrewerFan said:
Political Forum would be the appropriate place for teachers to voice concerns about their massive pensions, pay schedule they knew going in, months of time off, and complete job security.

Pay schedule has changed multiple times. Benefits have changed twice. I have to work during the summer since I dont get paid a lot. I also have to take classes and training over the summer, but yea, you nailed it.

These are the types of responses that I hear often and why the profession is looked down upon.

He should have added "welcome to the real world". Those are always the best!

Online  Re: What's bugging you? (2017)
Posted: December 14, 2018, 1:39 PM Post
lol I will never forget when all the hoopla was going on and teachers were rallying students to "walk out" and protest for them. Every teacher pretty much wasted half a class time giving their politically charged opinion on things and literally throwing a fit in front of a group of teenagers. Bias misleading information galore. It was cringy to watch.

Thanks for reminding me of that memory guys.

Posted: December 14, 2018, 1:44 PM Post
stoutdude04 said:
FVBrewerFan said:

I don't look down on the profession, I look down at most of the teachers. Which is a shame, because I have a ton of respect for the really good ones.

Yes, pay and benefits may have been tweaked a little but by and large you knew what you were getting when you started. So the claim of "I have to work summer because I don't get paid a lot" is exactly the type of whining I'm talking about.

"Welcome to the real world" is exactly right. Every other position people work full time all year AND take continuing education courses that are required. (And rarely have any pension at all.)

Posted: December 14, 2018, 2:50 PM Post
FVBrewerFan said:
My wife is a teacher, has been in three different districts in her career. Also subbed for a few years in several other districts. I know exactly what I'm talking about. It's like a feeding frenzy, teachers getting each other worked up about everything and anything.

Every job has challenges, but there's something about teachers that make them feel entitled. It just never stops. My wife was a big supporter of Act 10, and got out of the union as soon as she could. Obviously, nobody talks to her at her school anymore but she's ok with that. It is telling how childish teachers can be though.

I get it though, from day one a new teacher is exposed to this toxic environment, and it's just embedded in the system.

Whatever, but your "complete job security" comment is as false as false can be...

There is no job security, none. If they want to get rid of you, they can, and will. The fact that people like you continue to spew untruths like job security, just takes away any credibilty you might have because your wife is a teacher.

Glad to know your wife supported ACT 10, which basically dumped all over education in general, and her own job. ACT 10 made our entire education system weaker, which in the end, hurts kids. WI used to be one of the top states in the US in education, not anymore...

Last edited by turborickey on December 14, 2018, 2:59 PM, edited 2 times in total.

Posted: December 14, 2018, 2:54 PM Post
By the way, time off in the summer is unpaid... Teachers do not get paid for days we don't work. That is another falsehood that the uneducated like to throw in our faces. Hence the reason a lot of teachers take on summer jobs, they don't get paid for summer vacation.

That is not a complaint, I don't know a single teacher that complains about not being paid in the summer. As mentioned, we all knew that when we decided to go into teaching.

The complaint is the ignorance of those who have no idea that we do not get paid for all those days off... That is uncontracted time.

Last edited by turborickey on December 14, 2018, 3:19 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: December 14, 2018, 3:14 PM Post
I started out my career teaching and am now in the private sector. I can tell you with 100% certainty that the private sector is sooo much better.

Posted: December 14, 2018, 3:35 PM Post
turborickey said:
By the way, time off in the summer is unpaid... Teachers do not get paid for days we don't work. That is another falsehood that the uneducated like to throw in our faces. Hence the reason a lot of teachers take on summer jobs, they don't get paid for summer vacation.

That is not a complaint, I don't know a single teacher that complains about not being paid in the summer. As mentioned, we all knew that when we decided to go into teaching.

The complaint is the ignorance of those who have no idea that we do not get paid for all those days off... That is uncontracted time.

IDK, this line of argument isn't quite right especially in such a condescending tone. They're paid for the year like any base salary. Just so happens you don't haaaaave to work for several weeks in a row. I know many do summer school and other stuff to supplement. It's really just a semantics thing and no reason to call anyone ignorant over it. Take X amount of money and pay it over 12 months or over 10 months, doesn't matter. You're paid the same. One could just as easily argue back that due to that long stretch of time off it allows to add other income whereas one who doesn't have that long stretch off can't.

Posted: December 14, 2018, 4:05 PM Post
People vote against their own best interests all the time. People get duped. FVBrewersFan’s wife is no different than a lot of people out there.

Posted: December 14, 2018, 4:47 PM Post
Brew4U said:
People vote against their own best interests all the time. People get duped. FVBrewersFan’s wife is no different than a lot of people out there.

She wasn't "duped." She supported what was best for all, not just looking out for herself and the fat cat hacks that run the union. Her district ended up saving a ton of money on health insurance as a result of Act 10.

Posted: December 14, 2018, 5:14 PM Post
tmwiese55 said:
turborickey said:

IDK, this line of argument isn't quite right especially in such a condescending tone. They're paid for the year like any base salary. Just so happens you don't haaaaave to work for several weeks in a row. I know many do summer school and other stuff to supplement. It's really just a semantics thing and no reason to call anyone ignorant over it. Take X amount of money and pay it over 12 months or over 10 months, doesn't matter. You're paid the same. One could just as easily argue back that due to that long stretch of time off it allows to add other income whereas one who doesn't have that long stretch off can't.

It isn't semantics at all. The summer months are not paid, not contracted. The general public often thinks that teachers complain about their pay, but get all that time off. It just isn't the case. Unpaid days such as spring breaks, Christmas vacations, and summer days are not included in our base salary. They are unpaid days.

Posted: December 14, 2018, 5:20 PM Post
FVBrewerFan said:
Brew4U said:

She wasn't "duped." She supported what was best for all, not just looking out for herself and the fat cat hacks that run the union. Her district ended up saving a ton of money on health insurance as a result of Act 10.

Does "best for all" include the actual students she teaches? Saying that ACT 10 improved children's education is untrue, period...

Removing money from the statewide education budget hurts the kids.

Fewer teachers, due to budget cuts, is never a good thing for kids, no matter how you slice it. Packed classrooms with 35 or more kids due to hiring fewer teachers, or cutting positions to fit under the budget is not good for all.

Please explain how her district saved a bunch of money due to ACT 10. I'd be interested in knowing that information.

Also, I am actually not a democrat, so this is not political for me. I'm a conservative, and not afraid to say so. My feelings on the subject have nothing to do with politics, it has to do with the state of education since ACT 10 was passed, and it is all worse, in every possible way, which going back to my original statements, is why teachers are leaving our state and the profession at alarming rates. Fewer people are going into education too, which is also adding to the shortage we have now, and it's going to get worse, a LOT worse.

Posted: December 14, 2018, 5:49 PM Post
turborickey said:
FVBrewerFan said:

That comment makes me realize that you have no idea what today's teaching profession is like, not a clue in the world...

So many things so wrong with your statement, but the last part, "complete job security" is the funniest of all...

[tired]

I thought the irony was it was a political statement, suggesting others get moved to the political forum. I laughed at massive pensions. I'd love to do away with our pension and get a 403b match. job security is pretty funny too.

As for the pay schedule...when I went in, I assumed I'd get occasional pay increases or COLA's. I've had 1 year where I saw more money than the year before out of my 12 years. I was ignorant of how bad it was in AZ, but have learned on the fly.

Posted: December 14, 2018, 5:56 PM Post
tmwiese55 said:
turborickey said:

My contract for this year runs from July 31-May 24. It is not a full year job. I am paid for the ~42 weeks of the school year annually. I like my summer for travel. But the argument that we are paid for the entire year is ignorant. Many teachers voluntarily give their districts interest-free loans and get that money back in the summer. I chose the option of taking my pay during my contracted period.

Posted: December 14, 2018, 6:04 PM Post
tmwiese55 said:
IDK, this line of argument isn't quite right especially in such a condescending tone.

If you were a teacher, you'd find the comment below to be condescending, especially with so many mistruths in that one sentance...my reaction was just, my reaction...

FVBrewerFan said:

Posted: December 14, 2018, 6:13 PM Post
DHonks, right on!

Posted: December 14, 2018, 6:14 PM Post
DHonks said:
tmwiese55 said:
turborickey said:

My contract for this year runs from July 31-May 24. It is not a full year job. I am paid for the ~42 weeks of the school year annually. I like my summer for travel. But the argument that we are paid for the entire year is ignorant. Many teachers voluntarily give their districts interest-free loans and get that money back in the summer. I chose the option of taking my pay during my contracted period.

Are you contacted or an employee? Can you claim unemployment benefits for the summer?

Posted: December 14, 2018, 6:14 PM Post
DHonks said:
tmwiese55 said:
turborickey said:

Are you contacted or an employee? Can you claim unemployment benefits for the summer?

Posted: December 14, 2018, 6:27 PM Post

I don't look down on the profession, I look down at most of the teachers. Which is a shame, because I have a ton of respect for the really good ones.

Like any job, there are bad people that work there. An odd thing to say regardless. How many teachers do you know?

Yes, pay and benefits may have been tweaked a little but by and large you knew what you were getting when you started. So the claim of "I have to work summer because I don't get paid a lot" is exactly the type of whining I'm talking about.
I'm pretty sure I didnt whine. I simply responded to your post about how I work year round. You admit pay and benefits have changed, yet we knew what we were getting into? Hardly. I turned down a higher paying job with worse benefits right out of college in part, because of the benefits.

"Welcome to the real world" is exactly right. Every other position people work full time all year AND take continuing education courses that are required. (And rarely have any pension at all.
I'm curious how you would feel if the company you worked slashed your benefits after 10 years, had you on a pay freeze for 5 years, and changed your payscale?
The pension is great, but I also wouldn't mind a match system instead, but I'd have to look into it more.

Your comments sound like people I know who think teachers have it great. Why should they get something I dont get!?

We just want to be compensated as experts in the field.

Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41  Next  [ 802 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply