LambeauLeap1250 WSSP


  
Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41  Next  [ 802 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

What's bugging you? (2017-2018)

Author Message
Offline  Re: What's bugging you? (2017)
Posted: December 14, 2018, 6:29 PM Post
Posts: 3159
MrTPlush said:
lol I will never forget when all the hoopla was going on and teachers were rallying students to "walk out" and protest for them. Every teacher pretty much wasted half a class time giving their politically charged opinion on things and literally throwing a fit in front of a group of teenagers. Bias misleading information galore. It was cringy to watch.

Thanks for reminding me of that memory guys.


We didnt walk out. We worked that day.


 Top
 
Offline  Re: What's bugging you? (2017)
Posted: December 14, 2018, 7:32 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 9681
stoutdude04 said:
MrTPlush said:
lol I will never forget when all the hoopla was going on and teachers were rallying students to "walk out" and protest for them. Every teacher pretty much wasted half a class time giving their politically charged opinion on things and literally throwing a fit in front of a group of teenagers. Bias misleading information galore. It was cringy to watch.

Thanks for reminding me of that memory guys.


We didnt walk out. We worked that day.


Same here.

_____________________________________________________________

"Rallying students?" lol

"EVERY teacher pretty much wasted half a class..." Big broad strokes their buddy. You know not what you speak of.

The professional teachers didn't allow their students to see how they felt, it's part of the deal. I have never, not once, let my students know my political affiliations.


 Top
 
Offline  Re: What's bugging you? (2017)
Posted: December 14, 2018, 9:24 PM Post
Posts: 7856
BrewersSuperCollector said:
DHonks said:
My contract for this year runs from July 31-May 24. It is not a full year job. I am paid for the ~42 weeks of the school year annually. I like my summer for travel. But the argument that we are paid for the entire year is ignorant. Many teachers voluntarily give their districts interest-free loans and get that money back in the summer. I chose the option of taking my pay during my contracted period.


Are you contacted or an employee? Can you claim unemployment benefits for the summer?


I am a certified employee (aka, teacher). We sign contracts for a work period. Laws prevent those with contracts from claiming unemployment during weeks outside of contract.


 Top
 
Offline  Re: What's bugging you? (2017)
Posted: December 15, 2018, 7:33 AM Post
Posts: 450
I actually thought about becoming a teacher before I decided not to. For me, it was all the crap teachers have to put up with and the politics that steered me away from it. Having summers off would be a huge perk though. I also prefer 1 on 1 training... which is actually what I get to do at my current job.

Regarding summers with teachers, I understand it is unpaid time off...but when it comes to taxes, all that matters is your yearly earnings. You have time built in to find a supplemental job...I know it probably won't compensate at the same rate. Also, I'm guessing you still get health insurance paid during the summer? Not exactly sure how that works.

If was a teacher, I would work a different job in the summer...maybe teach a fun summer school class or something related to golf. Once I got older, I would travel at this time or buy a golf pass and view it as vacation from my yearly salary.

In Wisconsin all public employees salaries are posted online. I will admit to creeping on my high school teachers in Janesville to see what they were complaining about with pay. To my amazement...the salaries were more than I would have expected. I thought with summers being off, it would be lower. I also looked at teachers with little experience and saw it was more than I expected too. Janesville might be different than other districts. I also was shocked to see what principals make. I was always confused why principals were needed when I was in school. Seemed they just did babysitting more than teaching.


 Top
 
Offline  Re: What's bugging you? (2017)
Posted: December 15, 2018, 9:28 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 3003
Teachers get paid more than me and I have the same yearly mandatory training, pay freezes and benefits. I also work weekends and don't have breaks. Teaching isn't the best job in the world, but it doesn't seem like the worst.


 Top
 
Offline  Re: What's bugging you? (2017)
Posted: December 15, 2018, 10:03 AM Post
Posts: 3159
GAME05 said:
Teachers get paid more than me and I have the same yearly mandatory training, pay freezes and benefits. I also work weekends and don't have breaks. Teaching isn't the best job in the world, but it doesn't seem like the worst.


If you dont mind me asking. How much do you make?


 Top
 
Offline  Re: What's bugging you? (2017)
Posted: December 15, 2018, 10:22 AM Post
User avatar
Posts: 11829
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Teachers salary all depends on the state and district in which you live in. I just got out of small town Iowa, making small town salary. Now in Cedarburg, WI making better money. And the problem I am hearing from teachers who have been there for awhile now is that they say the only significant pay raise you’ll get is if you jump districts. It’s a huge reason why there is significant turnover of teachers in many of the surrounding districts including mine. And Act 10 was/is the biggest factor in that. I won’t ever argue someone that having summers off isn’t a great perk of my profession. But anyone that tells me that teachers are fairly compensated across our nation and/or that school districts don’t need more money distributed to them, are complete and utter fools in my book. The demand and expectations of teachers and schools are at an all time high with the lack of family structures in our nation and yet we are the first ones blamed for a lot of societal problems even though those people are the first ones to cut our funding or tell us that we have it too good.


 Top
 
Offline  Re: What's bugging you? (2017)
Posted: December 15, 2018, 10:46 AM Post
Posts: 10733
I think teacher salaries are pretty blah overall. It greatly depends on the size of the city in many cases. And I’m talking city size not cost of living (which is a big thing to note). You can make a pretty solid salary if you pick the right district.

I know a ton of small town teachers complain about salary, but at the same time they are living in a town of 2k where there are not many decent paying jobs with great benefits. So hard to complain there.


 Top
 
Offline  Re: What's bugging you? (2017)
Posted: December 15, 2018, 2:11 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 1570
Brew4U said:
Teachers salary all depends on the state and district in which you live in. I just got out of small town Iowa, making small town salary. Now in Cedarburg, WI making better money. And the problem I am hearing from teachers who have been there for awhile now is that they say the only significant pay raise you’ll get is if you jump districts. It’s a huge reason why there is significant turnover of teachers in many of the surrounding districts including mine. And Act 10 was/is the biggest factor in that. I won’t ever argue someone that having summers off isn’t a great perk of my profession. But anyone that tells me that teachers are fairly compensated across our nation and/or that school districts don’t need more money distributed to them, are complete and utter fools in my book. The demand and expectations of teachers and schools are at an all time high with the lack of family structures in our nation and yet we are the first ones blamed for a lot of societal problems even though those people are the first ones to cut our funding or tell us that we have it too good.



You have to admit, where you are teaching now in Cedarburg can't really have a better family structure environment, and better support from parents.


 Top
 
Offline  Re: What's bugging you? (2017)
Posted: December 15, 2018, 2:27 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 11829
Location: Milwaukee, WI
BrewersSuperCollector said:
Brew4U said:
Teachers salary all depends on the state and district in which you live in. I just got out of small town Iowa, making small town salary. Now in Cedarburg, WI making better money. And the problem I am hearing from teachers who have been there for awhile now is that they say the only significant pay raise you’ll get is if you jump districts. It’s a huge reason why there is significant turnover of teachers in many of the surrounding districts including mine. And Act 10 was/is the biggest factor in that. I won’t ever argue someone that having summers off isn’t a great perk of my profession. But anyone that tells me that teachers are fairly compensated across our nation and/or that school districts don’t need more money distributed to them, are complete and utter fools in my book. The demand and expectations of teachers and schools are at an all time high with the lack of family structures in our nation and yet we are the first ones blamed for a lot of societal problems even though those people are the first ones to cut our funding or tell us that we have it too good.



You have to admit, where you are teaching now in Cedarburg can't really have a better family structure environment, and better support from parents.


Oh no doubt about it. Cedarburg is one of the more active communities when it comes to parent involvement that I’ve been around and it shows in a lot of ways. I was more so speaking in general terms across 50 states.


 Top
 
Offline  Re: What's bugging you? (2017)
Posted: December 15, 2018, 2:42 PM Post
Posts: 4338
Why do people come to our shop and complain our prices are too high while paying for it? We are a mom and pops specialty shop who survives on quality over quantity, not a discount chain. It's like going to a five star restaurant and complaining their food is more expensive than McDonalds.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.


 Top
 
Offline  Re: What's bugging you? (2017)
Posted: December 15, 2018, 3:35 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 1570
Thurston Fluff said:
Why do people come to our shop and complain our prices are too high while paying for it? We are a mom and pops specialty shop who survives on quality over quantity, not a discount chain. It's like going to a five star restaurant and complaining their food is more expensive than McDonalds.



It's human nature for people to complain. Mom and Pop stores need to have quality and service to compete. Many of us realize that is what were paying for. Its like going to the neighborhood hardware store, and complaining to prices are higher than Home Depot. Yet, they don't realize when a question the customer asks is to a qualified employee at a neighborhood store or a 16 year old kid at Home Depot. Who are you going to trust.


 Top
 
Offline  Re: What's bugging you? (2017)
Posted: December 15, 2018, 3:42 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 1570
My 6th grader needs a lot of help to keep her average or slightly above average at school through the previous years at an elementary school. I go to the conferences and multiple teachers tell my wife and I that "studies show that homework doesn't really help" when I asked about bringing work home to study for tests. My studies have shown if my daughter doesn't bring work home to study she doesn't do well on tests. I have asked many times for work home and only a few teachers have sent anything.


 Top
 
Offline  Re: What's bugging you? (2017)
Posted: December 15, 2018, 8:57 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 8230
Thurston Fluff said:
Why do people come to our shop and complain our prices are too high while paying for it? We are a mom and pops specialty shop who survives on quality over quantity, not a discount chain. It's like going to a five star restaurant and complaining their food is more expensive than McDonalds.


When I worked at an Ace Hardware, I'd overhear customers complaining all the time about our "high" prices. I remember a couple guys looking at some electrical outlets and one guy loudly saying "I'm not going to pay that! Let's go to Menards and get it." Apparently the 15 minute drive across down was worth it for him to save 35 cents.

I'll tell you what's really bugging me right now. I'm the #1 seed in my fantasy football playoffs, highest scoring team in the league this year by a wide margin and I'm probably going to lose to the worst seed who barely squeaked into the playoffs and barely won the first round and finished the year 9th in scoring. I'll probably top my season scoring average but he has Damien Williams and DeAndre Hopkins who've lit it up so far this week and he just needs his players to not get hurt in their games tomorrow and he'll win easily.


 Top
 
Offline  Re: What's bugging you? (2017)
Posted: December 15, 2018, 10:58 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 1647
turborickey said:
Our pay is based on our Danielson artifacts... You want to see ridiculous?

Your whole district travels around the world Indiana Jones style?

reillymcshane said:
Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."


 Top
 
Offline  Re: What's bugging you? (2017)
Posted: December 16, 2018, 5:01 PM Post
Posts: 10733
turborickey said:
stoutdude04 said:
MrTPlush said:
lol I will never forget when all the hoopla was going on and teachers were rallying students to "walk out" and protest for them. Every teacher pretty much wasted half a class time giving their politically charged opinion on things and literally throwing a fit in front of a group of teenagers. Bias misleading information galore. It was cringy to watch.

Thanks for reminding me of that memory guys.


We didnt walk out. We worked that day.


Same here.

_____________________________________________________________

"Rallying students?" lol

"EVERY teacher pretty much wasted half a class..." Big broad strokes their buddy. You know not what you speak of.

The professional teachers didn't allow their students to see how they felt, it's part of the deal. I have never, not once, let my students know my political affiliations.


That’s cool man, it wasn’t a story about you. So it is understandable it may not relate to you.


 Top
 
Offline  Re: What's bugging you? (2017)
Posted: December 16, 2018, 5:05 PM Post
Posts: 3159
MrTPlush said:

That’s cool man, it wasn’t a story about you. So it is understandable it may not relate to you.


You did say 'every' teacher, so I imagine that's why he responded to it.


 Top
 
Offline  Re: What's bugging you? (2017)
Posted: December 16, 2018, 5:11 PM Post
Posts: 10733
stoutdude04 said:
MrTPlush said:

That’s cool man, it wasn’t a story about you. So it is understandable it may not relate to you.


You did say 'every' teacher, so I imagine that's why he responded to it.


Every teacher I had, not the entire state.

To be fair the government teacher wasn’t bad. While he still wasted time talking about the subject at least it was a little relatable to the class and he he gave more of a “both sides of the story” view to the matter.


 Top
 
Offline  Re: What's bugging you? (2017)
Posted: December 16, 2018, 5:41 PM Post
User avatar
Posts: 11829
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Your government teacher wouldn’t have been his job well if he had not had it become something talked about in your class. Current events like that should be covered. Now, how it is presented is another topic.


 Top
 
Offline  Re: What's bugging you? (2017)
Posted: December 16, 2018, 6:01 PM Post
Posts: 10733
Brew4U said:
Your government teacher wouldn’t have been his job well if he had not had it become something talked about in your class. Current events like that should be covered. Now, how it is presented is another topic.


Well I can’t say that topic was something that was really covered in a high school government class. Not that it was bad by any means. Great teacher though. Students would ask his party affiliate and he would refuse because he thought it didn’t do his teaching any good. Though if you really thought about things he said and his profession it wasn’t too hard to figure out.

My district suffered from (and still does) from a lot of newer younger teachers. They lacked the professionalism to separate the classroom from politics going on at the time.


 Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41  Next  [ 802 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply
  


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search this forum (phpBB search):
Jump to:  
Search entire board (Google search):
Google
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Test