LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next  [ 233 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

The Investment Thread

Offline  Re: The Investment Thread
Posted: September 25, 2018, 2:43 PM Post
nodakfan17 said:
Boomer5 said:
What’s the safest stock (oxymoron I know) you can buy? I’m thinking dividend aristocrat stuff like JNJ, XOM, BP type stocks. Any ideas for what will surely be a correction at some point.

This is obviously a loaded question, but I’ll bite and say check out PFF - the iShares US Preferred Stock ETF. Minimal upside, but low volatility and a 5% dividend yield.

That’s perfect for what I have been looking for. My bond funds have been a joke so it feels like dead money. Your idea is better. I’m very overweight in BP and need to diversify.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: The Investment Thread
Posted: September 25, 2018, 3:21 PM Post
Boomer5 said:
nodakfan17 said:
Boomer5 said:
What’s the safest stock (oxymoron I know) you can buy? I’m thinking dividend aristocrat stuff like JNJ, XOM, BP type stocks. Any ideas for what will surely be a correction at some point.

This is obviously a loaded question, but I’ll bite and say check out PFF - the iShares US Preferred Stock ETF. Minimal upside, but low volatility and a 5% dividend yield.

That’s perfect for what I have been looking for. My bond funds have been a joke so it feels like dead money. Your idea is better. I’m very overweight in BP and need to diversify.

You could also go for something like WE Energies, which is basically a government guaranteed monopoly and pays good dividends. I haven't done the research, but I'd think they'd be basically immune to a recession.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 25, 2018, 9:04 PM Post
That looks good too. I really want to rotate into stable dividend paying instruments. The market can't possibly keep going up and the climate feels shaky??

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 26, 2018, 10:19 AM Post
Global Moderator
What's your investment timeline?

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 26, 2018, 12:11 PM Post
homer said:

I’m a buy and hold guy. The first stock I bought was DE to give you an idea.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 26, 2018, 2:41 PM Post
Global Moderator
Boomer5 said:
homer said:

OK if you're going to hold then I'm curious why you are worried about the safety of the stock? If you would like dividend income that's another story. Obviously everyone's risk tolerance is different.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 26, 2018, 6:59 PM Post
homer said:
Boomer5 said:
homer said:

OK if you're going to hold then I'm curious why you are worried about the safety of the stock? If you would like dividend income that's another story. Obviously everyone's risk tolerance is different.

My risk tolerance is low. Anyone who has been in the market has done well. I can't imagine this will continue so I'd like to go for high dividend low risk going forward.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 27, 2018, 10:53 AM Post
Boomer5 said:

My risk tolerance is low. Anyone who has been in the market has done well. I can't imagine this will continue so I'd like to go for high dividend low risk going forward.

Then I suggest going for one of the bigger banks like JPMorgan Chase. They just increased their dividend share to .80 cents per share for the 3rd quarter of this year. Another large bank that pays a nice dividend is Wells Fargo beyond that the only other safe bet would be Apple.

You might be late on the wave but the ETF AMLP has some nice dividend stocks which pays about .20 cents a share. These are all energy companies in this ETF.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: September 27, 2018, 10:59 AM Post
Preferred Stock is an underrated tool for conservative investors.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 01, 2018, 7:33 AM Post
nate82 said:
Boomer5 said:

Then I suggest going for one of the bigger banks like JPMorgan Chase. They just increased their dividend share to .80 cents per share for the 3rd quarter of this year. Another large bank that pays a nice dividend is Wells Fargo beyond that the only other safe bet would be Apple.

You might be late on the wave but the ETF AMLP has some nice dividend stocks which pays about .20 cents a share. These are all energy companies in this ETF.

I have JPM, that’s the type of stock I like. I’ll look into AMLP seems up my alley too

You guys know your stuff!

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 01, 2018, 7:47 AM Post
nodakfan17 said:
Preferred Stock is an underrated tool for conservative investors.

I agree. Sounds like a good strategy.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 01, 2018, 1:20 PM Post
nodakfan17 said:
Apologies if this has been discussed (I know I’m late to the party), but is anyone using Robinhood, the brokerage platform?

lovvvvvvvve it for the trading i do.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 09, 2018, 9:44 PM Post
A thought came up after I just got a "Your password has been blocked" email from Fidelity (I haven't used it in a long while). But if you've got many thousands of dollars in an online investment agency like them, you've just gotta trust that the double-authentication you have on your account is secure enough? If for whatever reason someone was able to access your computer, isn't that a really big risk with that much money?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 10, 2018, 6:21 AM Post
superfly said:
nodakfan17 said:
Apologies if this has been discussed (I know I’m late to the party), but is anyone using Robinhood, the brokerage platform?

More info, please. I’m considering opening a small account to deposit a few dollars in each paycheck just to play around and learn about the market, basically. How easy is this to do?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 10, 2018, 8:17 AM Post
GAME05 said:
A thought came up after I just got a "Your password has been blocked" email from Fidelity (I haven't used it in a long while). But if you've got many thousands of dollars in an online investment agency like them, you've just gotta trust that the double-authentication you have on your account is secure enough? If for whatever reason someone was able to access your computer, isn't that a really big risk with that much money?

Use two-factor authentication. It can be annoying basically putting in your password and a code but it is the most secure method.

Also doing a password that is a sentence like TheDogEats@2AM is more secure and easier to remember.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 10, 2018, 11:35 AM Post
PlayerHader said:
superfly said:
nodakfan17 said:

More info, please. I’m considering opening a small account to deposit a few dollars in each paycheck just to play around and learn about the market, basically. How easy is this to do?

It’s pretty easy to set up a Robinhood account.

It took me less than 5 minutes to open an account using the mobile app, but they also have a desktop version. You will likely have to wait 2-3 days for the account to be approved. Once it’s OK’d you can start trading immediately. I transfer $100 once a month manually without an automatic contribution. Then I buy $100 worth of whatever I like. The no-fee model makes this feasible. Buying 1 share of Disney (for example) at a time would be impractical on any other platform. The whole process takes me 2 minutes each month (cash transfer and purchase). Very easy.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 24, 2018, 2:30 PM Post
Anyone else use Robinhood? Looking for more insight into this before taking the dive in.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 25, 2018, 4:15 PM Post
What do you want to buy?

The user experience is excellent, but the platform has some limitations (you get what you pay for, right?). For example, I was interested in a recent preferred stock issuance from a bank, but it was not supported by Robinhood. Overall, I’m quite satisfied. Just take the plunge. It’s free. You can always look for a different platform if you’re dissatisfied.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 25, 2018, 4:26 PM Post

The Weatherman
Global Moderator
Robinhood makes money by routing orders to high frequency trading firms so the idea is to make it as easy as possible to do trades since that's how they make money. The amount that gets skimmed off of each trade is minuscule, so as long as you aren't trading constantly every day it probably is a small price to pay for having 'free' transactions.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 26, 2018, 2:26 PM Post
nodakfan17 said:
What do you want to buy?

The user experience is excellent, but the platform has some limitations (you get what you pay for, right?). For example, I was interested in a recent preferred stock issuance from a bank, but it was not supported by Robinhood. Overall, I’m quite satisfied. Just take the plunge. It’s free. You can always look for a different platform if you’re dissatisfied.

That’s a good question. I know nothing about investing in individual stocks. Going to learn as I go a bit, adding a small amount each month as I learn more.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next  [ 233 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply