LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  [ 233 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

The Investment Thread

Offline  Re: The Investment Thread
Posted: October 26, 2018, 2:28 PM Post
nodakfan17 said:
What do you want to buy?

The user experience is excellent, but the platform has some limitations (you get what you pay for, right?). For example, I was interested in a recent preferred stock issuance from a bank, but it was not supported by Robinhood. Overall, I’m quite satisfied. Just take the plunge. It’s free. You can always look for a different platform if you’re dissatisfied.

That’s a good question. I know nothing about investing in individual stocks. Going to learn as I go a bit, adding a small amount each month as I learn more.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: The Investment Thread
Posted: October 27, 2018, 1:35 PM Post
JP Morgan is coming out with a free trading app similar to Robinhood. If you trust the name brand better, you could wait until it’s out. Otherwise, I don’t know of another place where you can invest in individual stocks $100 at a time without the commissions making it impractical.

You don’t wait to invest. You invest and wait, right?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 29, 2018, 1:59 PM Post
Jumped in the market for the first time today. Used Robinhood app. I'm the owner of a tiny amount of shares of Aurora Cannabis, which has jumped $.14 a share in the minutes since I bought. Sell high, right!?!?

Just kidding. Should be fun. Going to educate myself along the way.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 29, 2018, 2:51 PM Post
"Rule #1" by Phil Town is a favorite book of mine. There's a lot of "Get rich in minutes per day!" nonsense he peppers in throughout, but all in all it's a good intro on analyzing a company and evaluating its value vs. list price.

Dataroma is a great website I like to use, which tracks the buys and sells of $100M+ investors since they have to report them to the SEC. There was a study done by UNLV which tracked Warren Buffett's buys and sells for 30 years when they first became public. If you just copied him and bought that stock at its highest price that day, and then sold it when the sell again became publicly available, at the worst sell price that day, you'd still have had a return of 20%. On the site I don't like to use the investors who own a lot of companies because they're more active than I want to be, but instead follow the folks who only own a few companies because they are more buy-and-hold people. I also like to use Graham Number calculators for an initial quickie valuation.

I'll also note which I've probably done on this thread before, that oftentimes public libraries have subscriptions to financial sites. For Town's book you need 10-year data, and free places tend to just give you 5 before they want money. But I go through Middleton's library and use their subscription to Morningstar at no cost to me.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 30, 2018, 1:55 PM Post
Anyone use Acorns app or anything like it? Thoughts?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 30, 2018, 2:20 PM Post
Those round up investment apps are a complete and stupid scam. Acorns charges $1 a month if your balance is under $5,000. That is 4% if you are putting in $25 a month. Yikes. Not to mention this really is not going to build you any meaningful wealth anyway. If you really want to maximize returns and actually invest look elsewhere.

Acorns is great for people that have no ability to actually save the conventional way. People who like spending and have a hard time putting a big sum at once into savings. Even $25 is hard for some people. However putting in .25 when you spend $10 etc. seems like "oops I dropped a quarter, oh well". That can add up over time though if you have 50+ transactions a month. Suddenly those people can save a little bit.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 30, 2018, 2:26 PM Post
MrTPlush said:
Those round up investment apps are a complete and stupid scam. Acorns charges $1 a month if your balance is under $5,000. That is 4% if you are putting in $25 a month. Yikes. Not to mention this really is not going to build you any meaningful wealth anyway. If you really want to maximize returns and actually invest look elsewhere.

Acorns is great for people that have no ability to actually save the conventional way. People who like spending and have a hard time putting a big sum at once into savings. Even $25 is hard for some people. However putting in .25 when you spend $10 etc. seems like "oops I dropped a quarter, oh well". That can add up over time though if you have 50+ transactions a month. Suddenly those people can save a little bit.

I just read about the $1 a month rate. That definitely is a downer. I read a bit about it and thought it might be a nice secondary way to save up for a vacation or something without really even noticing the money going anywhere.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 30, 2018, 2:36 PM Post
PlayerHader said:
MrTPlush said:

I just read about the $1 a month rate. That definitely is a downer. I read a bit about it and thought it might be a nice secondary way to save up for a vacation or something without really even noticing the money going anywhere.

Haha that is really funny as I typed that up as a reason I could see someone using Acorn, but opted to delete it out of my post. Though I thought of an example of $25 a month and saving up for a $2,000 vacation...still would take nearly 7 years to accomplish if that is what your Acorn account was averaging.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: October 31, 2018, 3:32 PM Post
PlayerHader said:
Jumped in the market for the first time today. Used Robinhood app. I'm the owner of a tiny amount of shares of Aurora Cannabis, which has jumped $.14 a share in the minutes since I bought. Sell high, right!?!?

Just kidding. Should be fun. Going to educate myself along the way.

Up $1.00. 17%+ growth since I got in. I’m clearly a savant. [laughing]

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 04, 2018, 2:30 PM Post
Global Moderator
The way I look at acorns is that it's money you never would have invested anyway. So what's a dollar out of $25 each month if you were never going to put that $24 away in the first place? Also, that dollar stays a dollar no matter how much you have in there. If it was 4% all the time then yeah it's outrageous.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 04, 2018, 5:26 PM Post
homer said:
The way I look at acorns is that it's money you never would have invested anyway. So what's a dollar out of $25 each month if you were never going to put that $24 away in the first place? Also, that dollar stays a dollar no matter how much you have in there. If it was 4% all the time then yeah it's outrageous.

I’d agree with this. It’s a dollar blown at a bar or out eating or on some toy if I’m not saving. It’s not like it’s a primary investment account.

That makes sense, too.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 05, 2018, 12:55 PM Post
Right, but the concept of it being an investment vehicle isn’t really accurate. It is more like a savings account. Not bad if that is your goal. If you are trying to actually invest and grow your money...not so great.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: November 05, 2018, 1:45 PM Post
Agreed.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  [ 233 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply