LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next  [ 285 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

The Investment Thread

Offline  Re: The Investment Thread
Posted: February 29, 2020, 8:21 AM Post
homer said:
Monday should be interesting. Seemed some people started jumping back in at the end of the day today. Curious to see if that continues. Feels kinda like fall of 2008 the last week.

I’m expecting Monday to be another blood bath. It seems that when the Dow was at all-time highs and coronavirus wasn’t a US concern, it was like Teflon to the news. Daily news updates slid off. But Monday’s we have been getting 3 days work of panic reflected in the market, hence why they’ve been bad for several weeks. Mid week last week I moved my Roth 403(b) and HSA mutual funds primarily into MMAs and Bond Funds. Crazy we gave up our 30% 2019 gains in a matter of 8 days.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: February 29, 2020, 10:20 PM Post
I could use a 1200pt or more session loss. Moved conservative last year in April as it approached All time high. This referring to 401k. Should finally be able to buy back what I moved and more.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 01, 2020, 8:05 AM Post
Anyone else find it odd that silver was down last week?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 01, 2020, 3:48 PM Post
Global Moderator
DHonks said:
Crazy we gave up our 30% 2019 gains in a matter of 8 days.

That's really not true, though. The S&P 500 is still up 13.32% vs. 1/1/19 values.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: The Investment Thread
Posted: March 02, 2020, 4:06 PM Post
nodakfan17 said:
Anyone else find it odd that silver was down last week?

The metals all dropped last week. I was hoping palladium had fallen way down but no. I wish I'd gotten in on palladium a year or two ago....

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 02, 2020, 5:18 PM Post
brewcrewdue80 said:
I could use a 1200pt or more session loss. Moved conservative last year in April as it approached All time high. This referring to 401k. Should finally be able to buy back what I moved and more.

And so the market climbs 1200+pts today. Well ask and I shall not receive.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 03, 2020, 8:12 PM Post
And dropped another 800 points today. Lots of uncertainty surrounding the impact this is going to have.

Nothing like 2008, however. There are no underlying issues with the financial system. Just like in Trading Places, those buying calls on margin had their pants pulled down and have to cover their margin calls and sell, putting further downward pressure on the markets. Now you're seeing money move from where the anticipated issues will be (anything relating to travel or sourcing from China) to what is not likely to be affected (low interest rates benefit the consumer - buying houses, buying vehicles, remodeling, refinancing, plus boons to the healthcare system, suppliers to healthcare, technology, etc.), and not a broad sell-off.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 03, 2020, 9:33 PM Post
LouisEly said:
And dropped another 800 points today. Lots of uncertainty surrounding the impact this is going to have.

Nothing like 2008, however. There are no underlying issues with the financial system. Just like in Trading Places, those buying calls on margin had their pants pulled down and have to cover their margin calls and sell, putting further downward pressure on the markets. Now you're seeing money move from where the anticipated issues will be (anything relating to travel or sourcing from China) to what is not likely to be affected (low interest rates benefit the consumer - buying houses, buying vehicles, remodeling, refinancing, plus boons to the healthcare system, suppliers to healthcare, technology, etc.), and not a broad sell-off.

the panics related to Coronavirus are primarily driven by other countries. We likely won't hit peak panic for 6-8 weeks, so I'm looking to be more on the sideline. I made a nice profit on AAPL by buying at $260 and selling at $298. I expect it'll hit $260 before $320 again.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 04, 2020, 5:41 AM Post
Did anyone else have issues with Robinhood this week?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 04, 2020, 9:17 AM Post
Global Moderator
nodakfan17 said:
Did anyone else have issues with Robinhood this week?

Everyone did. Not the best timing for them. Guess you get what you pay for?

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 04, 2020, 10:42 AM Post
LouisEly said:

To me the Corona Virus is a minor concern. The change from LIBOR to the new system(s) is what is worrying me. LIBOR is ending by 2022 and the financial institutions are not liking the new system that they will be changing to.

A few links about LIBOR:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-brit ... SKBN1WN0H4

https://www.americanbanker.com/news/is- ... -stability

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 04, 2020, 3:58 PM Post
Another 1000÷pt gain. Ouch.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 04, 2020, 9:15 PM Post
I guess I’ll be the contrarian and say most of the coronavirus “market fear” is BS and rather much of it was the market beginning to price in Bernie Sanders vs Trump campaign. That kind of unraveled last night and the markets began readjusting again. We’re not out of the woods though most likely.

MOD EDIT: removed political opinions. next time's a temp ban

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 05, 2020, 12:53 AM Post

The Weatherman
Global Moderator
Coronavirus has been going around Seattle for weeks. I’ve talked to several people who probably had it in February but there hasn’t been any testing yet. Expect to see hundreds of confirmed cases in the next week as widespread testing ramps up. Many of the school closures and work from home directives just went out this evening. Say what you want about whether it is dangerous or not but there’s going to be a huge hit to the economy...at least in the short term.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 05, 2020, 12:21 PM Post
Global Moderator
Annnnnd back down 1000 points today so far. Real see-saw action these days.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 09, 2020, 4:08 PM Post
brewcrewdue80 said:

Hey got what I hoped for, but now methinks DJ is headed for much bigger drop. I did put back some bonds in to stock funds today because I told myself I would below 24.5k. What a dip!

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 09, 2020, 7:09 PM Post

Tom Petty Apologist
Bizarre day for sure. I was positive 16% today, but that is because for years I have been heavily invested in $ATHX a company that is close to breaking out with their product, one of the indications it treats is ARDS which is essentially one of the complications from COVID-19 that leads to death.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 12, 2020, 8:30 AM Post
Circuit breaker tripped twice in 4 days after never needing to be used since implementation. This is a pretty wild drop the last few weeks and I’m not sure it’s going to stop quite yet. Over 26% drop for DOW the last few weeks.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 13, 2020, 4:44 AM Post
I haven’t dipped my toe in yet, but came close yesterday when Disney, Target, and P&G all got below $100. However, it looks increasingly likely that some folks may lose their jobs in the coming months. That really takes the fun out of what merely seemed like a ‘great buying opportunity’ a few weeks ago.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: March 13, 2020, 7:39 AM Post
nodakfan17 said:
I haven’t dipped my toe in yet, but came close yesterday when Disney, Target, and P&G all got below $100. However, it looks increasingly likely that some folks may lose their jobs in the coming months. That really takes the fun out of what merely seemed like a ‘great buying opportunity’ a few weeks ago.

With all the Closings, Cancellations, travel bans, etc, the World economy has to only continue down. I seen a post on my Facebook that early indications from recovered are dealing with20-30% lung damage, and that if you smoke or Vape it is worse.
Think I read what we are seeing is called a Dead-Cats bounce. I don't see any way how the Markets can be any higher with all this stoppage over the next 30days. Market has to be lower than it stands now 30 days from now. Just wish we didn't have the insta down/ups or overnights, vs a long slow gradual decline. Losing 10% in one day is just brutal, and many of the stocks are I watch were actually down 15-20% yesterday. 1% here 1.5% there, gradual vs this overnight 5-6.5% start to the day.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next  [ 285 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply