LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next  [ 201 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2017 Green Bay Packers draft preview and predictions

Offline  Re: 2017 Green Bay Packers draft preview and predictions
Posted: April 29, 2017, 9:33 AM Post
Global Moderator
I'm fine with the DT pick as he can play multiple positions. As for RB I never really saw it as a huge need. Montgomery and Michael are a fine 1,2. Pick up a third down back who can contribute on special teams and has some upside in the later rounds. I'd rather they get an edge rusher (or two). But at this point it's best player available.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 29, 2017, 9:59 AM Post
Really excited about the draft so far. Adams was a 5 Star prospect, came in and played right away for a SEC Auburn team, and player really well in a defense that had him inside eating blocks the majority of the time. I don't see Thorton in him outside of both being explosive 3rd round DL's. Thorton was weak vs the run and could get dominated easily. His whole deal is he was explosive to get strong push and could pass rush (flopped on both. Adams is a man... he plays like a man.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 29, 2017, 10:20 AM Post
Biegel!! Love the pick, now stay healthy. I agree with both sides of argument on DL. Easy to find good enough, but special talent can be difference makers.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 29, 2017, 10:20 AM Post
Global Moderator
Biegel fills a need. I like this draft.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 29, 2017, 10:29 AM Post

LambeauLeap President
Global Moderator
Value chart says you could trade our remaining fourth and our trade-able fifth to move up and get a guy like Perine in the late one hundred-teens here. If you came away with him after drafting a guy like Biegel, you'd have to feel pretty great about the things you've addressed this weekend.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 29, 2017, 10:32 AM Post
Global Moderator
PeaveyFury said:
Value chart says you could trade our remaining fourth and our trade-able fifth to move up and get a guy like Perine in the late one hundred-teens here. If you came away with him after drafting a guy like Biegel, you'd have to feel pretty great about the things you've addressed this weekend.

Perine picked by Skins just as I'm reading your post [smile]

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 29, 2017, 10:40 AM Post
I wasn't a Perrine fan, although he could have been the thunder portion of a duo. RB can be found late/UDFA

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: 2017 Green Bay Packers draft preview and predictions
Posted: April 29, 2017, 10:44 AM Post
PeaveyFury said:

I believe that both 5ths (regular and complementary) are tradeable now, aren't they?

I wanted Perine and Biegel in the 4th, so no dice on Perine, but glad they took 1 of the 2 I wanted.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 29, 2017, 11:34 AM Post
Like the Jamaal Williams Pick! He is a thumper and powerful guy who should offset Ty!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tubrdY1jr8o

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 29, 2017, 12:26 PM Post
Global Moderator
Saw this posted elsewhere about Williams:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2702 ... e-what-now

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 29, 2017, 12:32 PM Post

Director of Amateur Baseball Operations
Global Moderator
And like Ty he's had problems staying healthy. He runs fairly upright with more of a striding motion, like Latavius Murray or James Starks (or even Eric Dickerson if you want a more positive picture painted). I'm not thrilled they waited that long to take a RB but I'll reserve judgement until I read more about him.

And I've said before if Montgomery was a better standard of health I would agree that RB wasn't as big of a priority. However, since he can't stay on the field for more than a handful of games at the time I remain concerned.

I like what I've read about all of the defensive players they took prior to that. I'm not sure what the big deal is about drafting a DT. He's going to play plenty of DE in the rotation, which has always been a big deal in the 3-4 defense they run.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 29, 2017, 1:22 PM Post

LambeauLeap President
Global Moderator
I agree that I'm not sure that Williams is enough to address the position to the point that we should be comfortable heading to camp.

There are still alternative options available, though with their own issue, namely Charles and Blount.

There's also a lot of chatter today about the Bengals making Jeremy Hill available, and that might be worth exploring.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 29, 2017, 1:34 PM Post
I know nothing about Yancey. Didn't Purdue pass a lot this year though?

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 29, 2017, 1:44 PM Post
sorry, double post

Last edited by rwa12 on April 29, 2017, 1:47 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 29, 2017, 1:46 PM Post
Missed on the rounds, but kudos to LouisEly for again reading TT's mind on a number of these picks!

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 29, 2017, 2:11 PM Post
So, LouisEly: got any lottery numbers to pass along? Seriously, very good prediction thoughts on the players.

So far, I do like this draft. Never know how the players will turn out, but it looks like Thompson had a good analysis of what was needed and has picked that way, while still keeping value in mind.

A couple more rounds to go; never know what gems might get uncovered with them and UDFAs.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 29, 2017, 2:11 PM Post
Williams is perfect for what the Packers need him for. His running style matches the Packers down-hill, one-cut, pound style. He is that same upright, one cut guy Ryan Grant and James Starks were. Not as nimble or big as Lacy, but like Eddie; he will come at you and try to run you over. Every roster needs at least one down hill back and he fits mold.

Should be interesting with Aaron Jones in mix as well.

Yancey I believe right away is better than Davis & Janis.....Could compete with Allison for number 4! Biggest thing working against DeAngelo was that fact he played at Purdue who is pretty awful and have been his whole career there. 40 catches for over 900 yards and 4 TDs over 60 yards kind of shows his down field ability. He did the most with what he was given. He has some talent imo

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 29, 2017, 2:28 PM Post
ReverendBrewmeister said:
So, LouisEly: got any lottery numbers to pass along? Seriously, very good prediction thoughts on the players.

I once hit five out of six - that's as good as I get.

As a general rule I think you can get good value for WRs in round 5, and I think Yancey is a good pick (maybe a round or two early), but the question I have is who do you cut to make room for him? Janis is one of the best special teams players in the league, and he's come a long way since drafted; he didn't play much as a receiver last year because their receivers were healthy, and they designed that end-around play specifically for him and his athleticism. Davis was drafted for his speed just last year. And you don't just cut a guy with Cobb's talent.

I was *this* close to putting Adams in the 3rd round. For a guy his size, running a 4.87 at the combine is pretty darned fast. The Packers have little patience for players who are suspended, and I think Guion is on the outside looking in. This draft is pretty thin with 3-4 DEs and there wasn't much left at that point. Adams will play. As for the Khyri Thornton comparison, Adams played against top talent in the SEC and Thornton is still in the league (and I think signed a multi-year extension this offseason); he just took a while to develop.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 29, 2017, 2:49 PM Post

Director of Amateur Baseball Operations
Global Moderator
Agreed. Nicely done LouisEly, as I noted previously this is always one of the annual threads, either here or at LL the past few years, that I make sure to read from top to bottom.

Quote   Reply 
Posted: April 29, 2017, 3:00 PM Post
Global Moderator
YoungGeezy1 said:
Yancey I believe right away is better than Davis & Janis.....Could compete with Allison for number 4! Biggest thing working against DeAngelo was that fact he played at Purdue who is pretty awful and have been his whole career there. 40 catches for over 900 yards and 4 TDs over 60 yards kind of shows his down field ability. He did the most with what he was given. He has some talent imo

He torched the Badgers last year. Reminds me a bit of James Jones.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next  [ 201 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply