LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

[ 9 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

2017-18 Green Bay Packer Roster Prediction

Offline  2017-18 Green Bay Packer Roster Prediction

Posted: May 02, 2017, 10:14 PM Post
Global Moderator
Ok, now that the draft is done, its time to predict the roster. Although most positions are pretty well set, its always interesting to guess the last 10 roster positions.

* Denotes a starter. Bold indicates on the 53 man roster.

QB(3):: Pretty easy here. Callahan sticks because Hundley is close to be traded.
- Locks: Rodgers*, Hundley
- Bubble: Callahan

RB(5):
- Locks: Montgomery*, Ripkowski, Williams, Jones
- Bubble: Mays, Kerridge
- Others: Crockett - can't stay healthy.

TE(3): With no draft picks here, I think there is little change of any challengers.
- Locks: Bennett*, Rodgers, Kendricks
- Bubble:
- Others: Sandland

WR(6): I'm almost tempted to put Cobb on the Bubble for his cost, but he is still a weapon.
- Locks: Nelson*, Adams*, Cobb*, Allison, Yancy
- Bubble: Davis, Janis, Dupre
- Others: Goodley, McCaffrey

OL(9): Evans is a near lock, but he needs to fit in first.
- Locks: Bulaga*, Linsley*, Taylor*, Bakhtiari*, Spriggs
- Bubble: Evans*, Amichia, Murphy, Barclay, Patrick,
- Others: Flores, McCray,

DL(5): If JF plays half-way decent and eveyone stays healthy, it wouldn't surprise me to cut Guion. But I like the talent we have here.
- Locks: Daniels*, Clark*, Lowry*, Adams,
- Bubble: Jean Francois, Price
- Out: Ringo
- Suspension: Guion

OLB(5):Keep as many as possible.
- Locks: Perry*, Matthews*, Fackerell, Biegel
- Bubble: Elliot, Gilbert
- Out:

ILB(4): Not much depth. And an UDFA could sneak in. Or we add another OLB and use Matthews (Clay) here.
- Locks: Ryan*, Martinez*, Thomas
- Bubble: Tripp
- Out: Matthews (Derrick)

S(4): Last spot comes down to last year's UDFA speedsters. Even though Brice had more PT last year, I'm picking Evans.
- Locks: HHCD*, Burnett*, Jones
- Bubble: Evans, Brice
- Out: Whitehead

CB(6): House starts while King develops. Goodson can't stay healthy and loses to Hawkins or an UDFA (not listed here)
- Locks: Randall*, House*, Rollins, King, Gunter,
- Bubble: Goodson, Hawkins
- Out: Waters

ST (3): Toss-up between Pepper and Hart for LS. I predict Vogel beats out Schum.
- Locks: Crosby
- Bubble: Pepper, Hart, Schum, Vogel
- Out:

Quote   Reply 
Offline  Re: 2017-18 Green Bay Packer Roster Prediction

Posted: May 04, 2017, 12:24 PM Post
CheezWizHed said:
Ok, now that the draft is done, its time to predict the roster. Although most positions are pretty well set, its always interesting to guess the last 10 roster positions.

QB(3):: Pretty easy here. Callahan sticks because Hundley is close to be traded.

RB(5):

TE(3): With no draft picks here, I think there is little change of any challengers.
- Bubble:

WR(6): I'm almost tempted to put Cobb on the Bubble for his cost, but he is still a weapon.

DL(5): If JF plays half-way decent and eveyone stays healthy, it wouldn't surprise me to cut Guion. But I like the talent we have here.

- Out:

ILB(4): Not much depth. And an UDFA could sneak in. Or we add another OLB and use Matthews (Clay) here.

S(4): Last spot comes down to last year's UDFA speedsters. Even though Brice had more PT last year, I'm picking Evans.

CB(6): House starts while King develops. Goodson can't stay healthy and loses to Hawkins or an UDFA (not listed here)

ST (3): Toss-up between Pepper and Hart for LS. I predict Vogel beats out Schum.
- Out:

I think they keep Evans and Brice and skip the other ilb... Burnett and Jones will be playing down there a lot.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 04, 2017, 8:36 PM Post
Global Moderator
Yeah, I considered that. With Matthews playing ILB too, it makes sense that we only keep 3 traditional ILB...

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 08, 2017, 9:49 PM Post
I'd still love to see them dabble with Janis at CB and special teams ace, like Bush a few years ago. His speed, tackling ability, fearless play, and inconsistent route running might actually have a chance then.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 01, 2017, 1:51 PM Post
CheezWizHed said:
I predict Vogel beats out Schum.

Schum was released today; he apparently missed most of OTAs with a back injury. I have to assume the Packers will bring in another punter, if only as a "camp leg."

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 01, 2017, 2:55 PM Post
The local guy from last year, name is escaping me (Morell?). They should bring him back in to camp. I personally though he had won the job last season.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 02, 2017, 6:50 AM Post
brwrsfan said:
The local guy from last year, name is escaping me (Morell?). They should bring him back in to camp. I personally though he had won the job last season.

Mortell, i agree they should bring him in. All that i read about Vogel was that he had a terrible combine which cost him being drafted so you need to bring in competition. I wouldn't be suprised if the packers brought in a veteran at the end of the preseason anyway.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 06, 2017, 3:27 AM Post
DHonks said:
I'd still love to see them dabble with Janis at CB and special teams ace, like Bush a few years ago. His speed, tackling ability, fearless play, and inconsistent route running might actually have a chance then.

I don't think he'd have a prayer to compete at CB in the NFL. He just lacks the hips to do so. Same reason he struggles to get open. He's a great ST'er. If you were gonna move him to defense safety would be more realistic. But yeah, way too much of a straight line guy to play CB. I don't see a problem with keeping him on the roster at WR'er though. He's such a great special teamer and can make such an impact as a gunner on KO and Punt and is a threat to return a kick or block a kick at any time.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: July 06, 2017, 4:03 AM Post
CheezWizHed said:

RB(5):

- Bubble:

- Out:

- Out:

The Packers always seem to do a few things with the roster that come straight out of left field, but this looks pretty good. There are a couple things I would disagree with.

QB-I don't think Hundley gets traded this year and I don't think they use a roster spot on Callahan again to start the year. Just no reason to. He's a little guy who is slow and doesn't have a good arm. He looked nice in the pre-season, but he's basically a poor man's Seneca Wallace.

RB-I'm guessing a injury will determine who gets that last TB spot from the draftees. This is an area where I could see an UDRA sneak his way onto the team. We obviously we going for the quantity over quality this year drafting 3 guys without any physical attributes that jump out at you. I hope we find our Jordan Howard in here though. Montgomery isn't gonna be able to handle 15 carries a game over hopefully 19 games.

TE-I haven't really paid attention to anyone beyond the main 3. McCarthy loves having a developmental project, but that would figure to be the practice squad, so I think you're right here also.

WR'er-I absolutely agree I could see Cobb cut. The Packers do seem to sing his praises a little bit louder than you'd expect so maybe they can restructure. If not, he's gonna have to have a big year because I don't see the Packers paying 30 million dollars to 3 WR'ers and I don't think they're gonna risk letting Adams walk, so he could be a candidate to be waived after the season also. Hopefully he just bounces back and earns his contract and Ball can figure out the cap later on.

I don't think Yancy is a lock. In fact I would think Davis would be ahead of him at this point. McCarthy has talked about how much better he's looked during the off-season program. I am really interested to see what happens with Dupree also. I saw mocks that had him going in the 2nd/3rd round range. Some even had him as a high 2nd before he ran his 40. So...maybe they got lucky there.

OL-Looks good. Hope they lock up Linsley before the season. He's right at the same point in his career that Sitton and Lang were when they got their first contracts after their rookie deals. Both went on to become pro-bowlers. C has been a revolving door with I think 5 different starters in the last 6 or 7 years with Wells, EDS, Saturday, Tretter. I think we need to solidify that position. Second smarter guy on the field.

DL-Definitely deeper here than we have been in a while. I think Clark is gonna bust out this year and have a big second year. He's transformed his body and he was really coming on strong last year at the end. Plus he was just 20 when he was drafted. Hopefully we can get a 1st rounder in the front 7 who doesn't take 5 years to develop!

I think they Packers are just hedging their bets with Guion like they did last year with Pennel. If 4 weeks in they've had a couple injuries and are thin he comes back, if not, they cut him and move on and it's not like they had to pay his first 4 weeks salary anyway. He needs to get help though. It's too bad, both he and Pennel were big physical guys who could really hold up in the run game. But with our depth I think Ringo on the practice squad is fine in case of injury.

OLB'er-Time for Elliot to put up or move on. Dude can absolutely destroy guys with his speed and bull rush combo for really short stints. It was two years ago in Seattle that he had a few game changing plays. A pick, I think he had a strip sack...the prior to seal the game, the later to flip the field. And then nothing the rest of the year. He's got the ability, I know he was a small school guy, but it's year 4 now I believe. Hes' either gonna be a player this year or he's gonna be a career backup/ST's ace.

MLB'er-I believe they have also indicated they think Biegal can play a little inside as well. Wherever Matthews plays though we have to get more out of him. Our defense just doesn't have enough impact players that we can get by with so few big plays from him. He and Daniels completely change the ton for the defense when they're out there making plays.

CB-Goodson can starter the year on PUP I would think. He absolutely wrecked that knee. Heck, he might miss the whole year. And didn't Hawkings also get hurt pretty badly? I liked him a lot as a developmental guy. He was smooth, got his head around. Obviously not real polished.

Gotta have Rollins and Randall bounce back. Both were pretty seriously injured last year and both were pretty good as rookies so no reason to think they won't. House is a great fit for Capers D and I think they would have liked to keep him in the first place. He's not Shields, but he's also no slouch. And it's not like he was cut by the Jags because he couldn't hack it. They used a top 5 pick and then signed the top FA available at CB in the last year.

I think King is the Day 1 starter and Randall starts at Nickel but hard to say. King is a little behind because of that stupid rule that prohibited him from practicing until Washington was done with their Tri-Mester. Hopefully we have a Marcus Peters on our hands. Washington has been producing some nice DB's lately.

S-I think they keep a 5th here. Jones is gonna be playing in the box so much that it just make sense. Brice and Evans are both great athletes, but we also have some intriguing UDFA's here.

ST's-I think Janis earns his spot here for one last time at least. Not sure what they do for Long snapper. Can always bring back Goode. Crosby is a stud. Hopefully we can pick someone up who can turn the field around for us though. it sounds like Vogel has the potential to do that.

So I have maybe 5 or 6 changes from you out of the whole roster. And chances are we'll both be about 10 picks off by the time all is said and done. This is for certain though, Rodgers is starting to get to the point where the Packers need to start getting more aggressive. You cannot win just one Super Bowl with a QB like Aaron Rodgers. He's just too good. He's a better QB than Tom Brady. Brady is the greatest because his teams have won more, but if they're being honest, nobody takes Brady over Rodgers just based on talent and what each can do on the field alone. Rodgers is better at literally everything BUT having a coach and an organization that will go out there and take chances like signing a Stephen Gilmore to a 60 million dollar deal to solidify their defensive secondary, Or hell, just trading for Eric Rowe like they did last year in week 2 while Thompson sats on his hands. I like TT, but this year if there is a Tony Gonzalez trade or someone like that...a player we were close to getting but Thompson wouldn't give up the 3rd for him, then he needs to make that move. The window isn't closed on Rodgers, but we're wasting years of his prime.

Quote   Reply 
 [ 9 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply