LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 30 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Lavar Ball, genius or insane?

Offline  Re: Lavar Ball, genius or insane?

Posted: May 10, 2017, 12:40 PM Post
I think Lavar should spend less time hyping and more time helping his son fix his broke-azz jumper.

This guy threw at his own son in a father son game

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 10, 2017, 12:42 PM Post
I would argue that the difference between a BBB shoe, and Nike...is the billions of dollars of R&D that the major companies spend to put out better shoes. These are fashion shoes, like the Kanyes. You are buying them to say you have them, not for any practical purpose. He was smart to pre-order, and not get left with stock. At the low rate they are selling, his profit isn't going to be huge. I bet it'll cost him $200-250 per pair to have them made. He's certainly good at getting attention, but as was mentioned above, I don't think Ball is going to be transcendent. I think he'll be very good, but he's got to be at the Westbrook/Harden level, quickly, to be able to sell his brand. I've actually heard he's a decent rapper, maybe he'll be a Renaissance Man, and the brand will be successful.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 10, 2017, 12:59 PM Post
No one's really answered my question about who this guy actually is. I gather he's the father of a college basketball player who could be really good in the NBA and he's trying to make money off of him before that even happens. Sounds like he's taking advantage of our reality TV society where people become rich and famous for being loud, obnoxious, crazy, horrible people. Sounds like a genius to me.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 10, 2017, 1:20 PM Post
Global Moderator
jerichoholicninja said:
No one's really answered my question about who this guy actually is. I gather he's the father of a college basketball player who could be really good in the NBA and he's trying to make money off of him before that even happens. Sounds like he's taking advantage of our reality TV society where people become rich and famous for being loud, obnoxious, crazy, horrible people. Sounds like a genius to me.

Yep, pretty much nailed it.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 10, 2017, 4:44 PM Post
jerichoholicninja said:

With two younger sons that have the potential to be very good college players, if not NBA players as well.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 10, 2017, 11:03 PM Post
What is clear are his genius marketing skills. He is hyping up a product before it even happens with FREE marketing. You all think he is an idiot/annoying/etc. when he really is getting the exact response he wants...you talking about them. He is building his brand for free right now and doing a pretty good job. He just needs his kid to become a star and the Ball brand will make him loads of money. Is he ever going to successfully sell a shoe for $500(that isn't special edition)? Questionable, but then again he likely said that to get people to talk about them.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 11, 2017, 7:54 AM Post
I think the point are making is Lonzo could sign a deal with Nike, Adidas, Etc right now and be entitled for a heck of a lot of money. Instead they chose to have their own shoe that is priced way to high. From a financial perspective Lonzo would be better off just signing a shoe deal since they will never sell enough merchandise through their own brand. They will never have the reach of the major companies.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 11, 2017, 7:56 AM Post
He is getting free pub that all the other companies pay boatloads of money for on mainstream channels.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 11, 2017, 9:30 AM Post
Global Moderator
All the free publicity does squat if he can't deliver a product people want in the end. And a big part of that is Lonzo Ball. People will have to want to be part of that guy's brand. If he's just a 'meh' kind of player - it all will flame out.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 11, 2017, 2:16 PM Post
reillymcshane said:
All the free publicity does squat if he can't deliver a product people want in the end. And a big part of that is Lonzo Ball. People will have to want to be part of that guy's brand. If he's just a 'meh' kind of player - it all will flame out.

I agree, but he's got the publicity at least.

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2  [ 30 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply