LambeauLeap1250 WSSP

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  [ 57 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply

Tech advice, part II

Offline  Re: Tech advice, part II

Posted: April 16, 2018, 9:31 AM Post
nate82 said:
jerichoholicninja said:
I've got a Toshiba laptop that's about 10 years old. I tried firing it up today and it was no go. The lights come on but it doesn't start up. The only reason I even pulled it out was because there are a couple files I was going to get off of it and then recycle it. Any suggestions or am I going to have to take it somewhere. It's probably not even worth the money to have someone work on it since I'm junking it anyway.

If you have a desktop just remove the hard drive from your laptop and put it into your desktop. You will need to get a few cables about $5-10 worth and you will be good. If you are going to recycle or destroy your laptop you should take your hard drive out before doing this and then have the hard drive shredded separatel or keep it as a second hard drive in your desktop.

I was looking at those cables yesterday and I'm going to try it.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 16, 2018, 9:49 AM Post
I'm looking to get a 2-in-1 laptop, and was wondering if anyone had suggestions? I'm mostly looking at using it for browsing the web while chilling on the couch at home, downloading shows and movies on it to watch on a plane/while traveling, or watching the Brewers/mlb.tv while at home, and keeping excel and word docs as well as storing some pictures and videos. Thanks for any recommendations!

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 16, 2018, 12:27 PM Post
monkeyman343434 said:
I'm looking to get a 2-in-1 laptop, and was wondering if anyone had suggestions? I'm mostly looking at using it for browsing the web while chilling on the couch at home, downloading shows and movies on it to watch on a plane/while traveling, or watching the Brewers/mlb.tv while at home, and keeping excel and word docs as well as storing some pictures and videos. Thanks for any recommendations!

Microsoft surface would be my suggestion but they are rather pricey.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: April 17, 2018, 11:18 AM Post
nate82 said:
monkeyman343434 said:

Microsoft surface would be my suggestion but they are rather pricey.

I wholeheartedly agree. I have a Surface Pro 3 and use it all the time for everything you are suggesting. I can even hook it up to the 52" widescreen if I want to stream content and watch it on the big screen. I'm a software engineer, so it doesn't really help me with writing intense apps (Surface Pro 4 would probably do that). There are some on eBay for about $500 w/o the keyboard.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 31, 2018, 10:14 AM Post
The WiFi calling feature on my phone no longer works on my home WiFi network. It used to, but not any longer. Can't pinpoint when it stopped working at home, but it still works on the WiFi network at work.

Reset my phone, reset my router, reset my cable modem... still doesn't work. I have 120 Mbps download speed, 12 Mbps upload.

Samsung Galaxy Edge phone, tp-link AC1200 dual band gigabit router (tried both the 2.4 and 5.0 networks but doesn't work on either).

Quote   Reply 

Posted: May 31, 2018, 6:19 PM Post
Not familiar with your phone but I think this is still applicable with most android phones:

From any Home screen, tap Apps.
Tap Settings.
Scroll to ‘APPLICATIONS,’ then tap Application manager.
Swipe right to the ALL screen.
Scroll to and tap WiFi Calling.
Tap Clear cache.
Now, reboot your phone.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 01, 2018, 9:52 AM Post
Didn't really want to start a new thread for this but wondering if anyone has any ideas. I have a 60 inch Samsung, about a year old. I moved over the weekend, it was wrapped and everything, but something still seems to have happened. Basically, there's a small part of the screen that looks "bruised". Looks like a smudge, but it isn't on the screen itself. It's only visible when lighter colors go over it, but it's pretty annoying to me since I know it's there.

I assume some pixels or something were damaged, but I really have no idea. Anyone have any thoughts? Or how to get it fixed (I assume I'll have to take it somewhere - is it expensive)? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Also, I've tried and failed uploading a photo like 5 times (user error I'm sure), but the link is below.

http://s1121.photobucket.com/user/brwrs ... g.html?o=0

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 01, 2018, 11:59 AM Post
Global Moderator
I fixed your image, brwrsfan. You were linking the HTML page - and not the image directly. Just a quick update.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 01, 2018, 12:44 PM Post
Global Moderator
I know digital cameras can get dead pixels from time to time and there is a way to run a "scan" on them in order to resolve it. Not sure if a TV can do that or not but you should check the owner's manual.

Found this online:
Fixing Stuck Pixels
Pixels may not be dead, but stuck instead. Revive them by placing a microfiber cloth on the bad pixel spot and gently hold the cloth in place with your thumb. Activate the television's power supply and see if this doesn't correct the problem. Another solution is to take the microfiber cloth and gently swipe down the screen of the television. Start in one corner and work you way across the whole screen, lightly pressing as you go.

If that doesn't do it then I think you have to get it repaired. I'd go to a Samsung forum and ask about it.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 01, 2018, 12:46 PM Post
If it is a dead pixel you will have to replace if it is just stuck then try the link below.

https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how- ... ead-pixels

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 03, 2018, 8:28 AM Post
Anyone happen to have any recommendations for a place to take it in? I honestly have no idea and google wasn't overly helpful.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 03, 2018, 3:12 PM Post
nate82 said:
Not familiar with your phone but I think this is still applicable with most android phones:

From any Home screen, tap Apps.
Tap Settings.
Scroll to ‘APPLICATIONS,’ then tap Application manager.
Swipe right to the ALL screen.
Scroll to and tap WiFi Calling.
Tap Clear cache.
Now, reboot your phone.

Thanks, but nothing in the cache. Called xfinity and they reset the internet connection, and now it is back to sporadically working. Problem seems to be when I lose signal it doesn't want to reconnect (or it takes a long time to).

My place is long and skinny with a concrete stairwell in the middle which does a great job of preventing the WiFi from getting from the living room to the master bedroom. I got a WiFi extender, and it works, but it technically doesn't extend the signal, it creates a new signal and adds "_ext" to the end of my WiFi signal name. When I go to the master bedroom or up to the roof deck it disconnects from the living room signal and picks up the "_ext" signal, which disconnects the WiFi calling. Sometimes it reconnects, some times it takes a long time to reconnect, sometimes it doesn't reconnect at all.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 03, 2018, 6:55 PM Post
So I have an external hard drive that now for some reason when I plug it in it is saying it must be formatted. Is there any way to format it with out losing everything on the drive?

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 04, 2018, 7:35 AM Post
I have an android phone and I keep getting a notification and emails in my Gmail account that my OneDrive is full and then it gives me options to purchase more space. However, when I go to MyDrive in google apps on my computer and says I have used 3.8 of 15 GBs. What is the difference between OneDrive and MyDrive? They both appear to be Google products and MyDrive is saving every picture, music, etc and other items that I care to save and has plenty of space left.

Edit: Nevermind, I now realize that OneDrive is Microsoft and MyDrive is Google.

Quote   Reply 
Online  Re: Tech advice, part II

Posted: June 04, 2018, 9:23 AM Post
This may be a stupid question, and if so, I apologize.

I downloaded the google photo app on my iPhone. I transferred all the pics on my phone to the app and it works great, and freed up a ton of space on my phone.

My question is this: Can photos be printed off at Wal-mart, Shoko, etc from the google photos app? I was able tp print from my phone, but is it as easy from google photos?

Thanks in advance.

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 04, 2018, 9:47 AM Post
turborickey said:
This may be a stupid question, and if so, I apologize.

I downloaded the google photo app on my iPhone. I transferred all the pics on my phone to the app and it works great, and freed up a ton of space on my phone.

My question is this: Can photos be printed off at Wal-mart, Shoko, etc from the google photos app? I was able tp print from my phone, but is it as easy from google photos?

Thanks in advance.

I honestly can't say, because I haven't tried to do that specifically -- and it would depend on how Wal-Mart, Shopko etc handle things on their end. At the very least, you could download the photos you want to print from google photos to your phone directly and do things that way.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Twitter: @MKEHiker

Quote   Reply 

Posted: June 08, 2018, 11:16 AM Post
Thanks, but nothing in the cache. Called xfinity and they reset the internet connection, and now it is back to sporadically working. Problem seems to be when I lose signal it doesn't want to reconnect (or it takes a long time to).

Ain't technology wonderful! It sounds like you may have had a phone software upgrade that is causing some issues with the wifi connectivity. I've had similar issues with updates that cause connectivity issues. Routers hate devices that have issues connecting to them (anything that moves a lot in relation to the router/extender are notorious - phones, ipads, laptops, etc.).

What I am going to suggest takes some advanced knowledge of working with routers. Not sure you have it. I have had issues in the past with devices having issues with reconnecting to my router that either causes an IP conflict or prevents complete connection. Often the issue can be fixed by assigning a fixed IP to the device so that when it attempts to connect it will be assigned that IP by the router. With an extender, you would need to also fix the IP when connected through the extender (extenders have a different hardware address for the device so that there isn't a conflict with the router). here are the general steps as I don't know your router:

1) check the current DHCP client list to identify your phone hardware address (also referred to as MAC address (6 pairs of number/text in the format AA:AA:AA:AA:AA:AA or with dashes.)

2) there will be a option somewhere in your router settings to either add a reservation or assign an IP to a specific client. At that point, Add your phone hardware and assign it an IP (by default routers use 192.168.1.### for the IPs where ### is within an IP address range/pool. I typically pick a number near the high end (if the upper end of the pool is 200 I will use 190.).

3)I usually also assign a fixed IP for traffic through the extender. For the extender it usually passes the hardware address to the router as XX:XX:XX:AA:AA:AA where the X are unique to the extender and the AA will match the last 3 pairs of alphanumeric from #1 above. If you specifically join the extender WIFI with your phone then look at the router DHCP client list you should see a new hardware address that has the same ending half as before with a new first half of the mac/hardware address. Assign an IP for that which is different from #2 (I usually go 5 digits away so if I use 190 for #2 I use 195 for #3).

When that is complete, your phone should connect to the router or extender and be assigned a fixed IP depending on which device the phone connects to. Even when it loses signal to the router/extender when it comes back it will still assign the IP address again. If that doesn't help or hurts, just delete the reservation that you setup for the Mac addresses and it will go back to functioning as before.

Good Luck

Quote   Reply 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  [ 57 posts ]  New Topic   Add Reply